Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

But not until post June 1st is the key point. Can’t spend it before then.

No of course. I was just saying for all practical purposes, you're unlikely to spend it down anyway. We usually carry about $5-6m into the regular season (more last year) that is used on in-season spending. And draft picks don't all sign right away. It's just an accounting piece and you know that $$ is free after June 1st. My guess is that we'll get to May 31 and have at least $5-7 million in cap space, that will jump to $9-11 million with the June 1st release, and we'll carry money over into 2024. I doubt we'll be big spenders to the point where we'll be watching the clock waiting for that $4m to hit. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

6 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Nah, someone will sign if he wants to play. One year vet min will put him in AZ or New Orleans or Houston. Somewhere like that. 

Will see.  Leading up to this several national reporters speculated on this point for two reasons.

A.  He's not the typical backup as to his his style of play.

B.  Would he be the type to take a cheap 5 million dollar or whatever back up deal?

We are about to see.  Who knows.  I don't care though.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

At this stage I’d suggest 35mil is a very healthy of salary cap space for us to work with. It will be interesting if we actually announce a couple of contract restructures as well in the coming days pre free agency. That may be an indicator of what level of plans we’ve got.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Cody Ford appears to be a UFA. I know he's had some issues but he could be a nice addition to our IOL.

Cody Ford from the Bills? I live close to Buffalo and listen to their flagship sports radio almost every day. I’m a Sabres fan so there’s a lot of overlap. 

Ford never lived up to the hype. He was fighting for a backup position last year. Right from his rookie season, he never developed. He’s a whipping boy here.

I hope there are better options out there. 🙂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

At this stage I’d suggest 35mil is a very healthy of salary cap space for us to work with. It will be interesting if we actually announce a couple of contract restructures as well in the coming days pre free agency. That may be an indicator of what level of plans we’ve got.

$35m (with $4m more to come June 1st) is pretty good. Yes, putting $19m inevitably toward Payne lowers that quite a bit. Will be interesting to see how the restructures and extensions unfold. As I've said repeatedly here over the last few weeks we have a TON of cap space going into 2024 and 2025 because we simply do not have many players under contract. So guys like Fuller and Samuel could be extended a bit further to spread the cap out if need be. 

Also, IF ... a very big IF Payne gets tagged and traded we are basically rich. And I am not convinced that we would utilize anywhere near all of that cap space and would roll a chunk into 2024 when we already have a boatload of cap space. Would be really well positioned if Howell turns out to be the answer or we somehow position ourselves for a top tier QB in the draft next year.

When I say basically rich, I mean we'd essentially go into FA with $39m in cap space this year and $125m in 2024. Not to mention a full slate of draft picks (plus 1 or 2 for Payne in a trade) with fairly few holes to fill.

I also have a sneaking suspicion the upheaval on the OL will be fairly limited reading the tea leaves. While I would love Orlando Brown and Nate Davis at LT and RG and drafting a starting LG and Center early, it's probably fairly unlikely. 

So it's going to be pretty tough to spend down that capital this year without a big marque signing. Yeah, Tremaine Edmunds and Nate Davis would be very very solid additions, but their combined 2023 cap hit would probably be $13-14m tops.

4 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Cody Ford from the Bills? I live close to Buffalo and listen to their flagship sports radio almost every day. I’m a Sabres fan so there’s a lot of overlap. 

Ford never lived up to the hype. He was fighting for a backup position last year. Right from his rookie season, he never developed. He’s a whipping boy here.

I hope there are better options out there. 🙂

Oh, did not think it was that bad with him. Thanks Die Hard. 

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Will see.  Leading up to this several national reporters speculated on this point for two reasons.

A.  He's not the typical backup as to his his style of play.

B.  Would he be the type to take a cheap 5 million dollar or whatever back up deal?

We are about to see.  Who knows.  I don't care though.

What does "he's not a typical backup as to his style of play" even mean?

also, he's made a lot of money. If he wants to go somewhere to be a backup, make a few mil and MAYBE play if a starter goes down? "Sign me up!"

Edited by @DCGoldPants

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

2024 cap:$153 million

Thats a pretty attractive number for a new owner to play with. I also wonder if Bienemy saw this number and if this factored in to his coming here as the potential next head coach? I know there are several guys to sign before 2024 but that could also be an attractive number to any potential new head coach if RR is moved upstairs and Bienemy leaves. 

now cut fuller and logan thomas.  that takes you close to $50 mil in cap space.  you can keep payne via tag or extend him for 3 years similar to Terry's contract.  keep him at 19 mil a year with bonus.  get a decent LB (Edmunds,Wagner,David) and also a good CB (peterson, peters) for cheap!, 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Thats a pretty attractive number for a new owner to play with. I also wonder if Bienemy saw this number and if this factored in to his coming here as the potential next head coach? I know there are several guys to sign before 2024 but that could also be an attractive number to any potential new head coach if RR is moved upstairs and Bienemy leaves. 

Upcoming 2024 Free Agents (off the top of my head) or not counted in that number:

- S Kam Curl

- DE Montez Sweat

- DE Chase Young

- DT Daron Payne

- CB Kendall Fuller

1. Not all those guys will be brought back

2. Even if they all were at their market values on extensions / tags / 5th year options ... and let's assume all 5 are extended ... you're still going to have some cap space. Not $153m but also not $20m. Probably somewhere around $40-50m after this year's FAs are signed, draft picks are counted, and you project out hypothetical extensions.

BUT, this is also why I am a big advocate for tag and trading Payne. You've got his replacement (Mathis) as a 2nd round pick from last year plus Ridgeway as a nice suprise emergence for depth. Trade Payne for picks this year. And reserve that massive chunk of cap for the above remaining 4 players. Not to mention the likelehood of then rolling a good chunk of that $19m saved this year into 2024 if you end up playing it fairly frugally this off-season.

27 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

What does "he's not a typical backup as to his style of play" even mean?

High variance style of play.    Not the type to mentor young QBS reputation wise albiet he supposedly was super nice to Howell.

27 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

also, he's made a lot of money. If he wants to go somewhere to be a backup, make a few mil and MAYBE play if a starter goes down? "Sign me up!"

OK, that's cool, that's you.  Wentz already made over 100 million.  Some have speculated that he wouldn't sit on the bench for 5 million.  You seem fired up that he would -- don't know, will see.  

2 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

ok, didn't see that anywhere. Just listened to his comments during the season. Sounded like a guy who wants to play football.

I don't doubt he wants to play football.  The question isn't whether he would turn down a starters job, its whether he'd be comfortable shifting at this point in his career for being a cheap backup where there is a good chance he wouldn't be playing much football but instead backing up a QB who would be playing.

I don't know obviously.  But multiple national observors have wondered whether Wentz would.  Will see.

10 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Upcoming 2024 Free Agents (off the top of my head) or not counted in that number:

- S Kam Curl

- DE Montez Sweat

- DE Chase Young

- DT Daron Payne

- CB Kendall Fuller

I know I am probably in the minority but I wish the could extend Curl and Sweat along with a LTD with Payne.

Fuller is replaceable especially in a good FA and draft year for DB's to go with our current talent.

Young, he is the guy I never really wanted us to draft but got blasted for that. Heard about the generational talent that we couldn't pass up.

We could have built up the roster with proper draft trade management. I'd be cool with trading him now but not sure we could get a lot for him right now. 

Oh well, those days are gone. Here's to hoping he stays healthy and proves me wrong!!!

Go get us a LB or two and a couple DB's in FA and draft RR

• Like 1