Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

One thing Philly historically does well is resign guys really early, so it looks like they're "overpaying"  but in a year or two it ends up being a massive bargain and it creates a really good locker room morale. They almost never wait till guys are on the verge of hitting FA.  Although in fairness we have done a better job of this in the Rivera era. Allen, Roullier, McLaurin were all extended nowhere near before they hit FA and hopefully we can come to an agreement with Curl this offseason as well. The only real issue was with Payne but thankfully we still got a deal done but imagine if we resigned him after, say, the 2020 season when he was first eligible...

4 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Just wanted to say that Hurts should get what he can get. Tough sport.....the one thing I will bring up  is that he had the #1 Offensive Line last year, all year. Let that sink in. 

Good for him. 

He'll continue to, because of their front office also. They've drafted Kelces replacement 3 times and then those players go on to become probowl guards and comp picks.

Hurts is great, just because he has a solid team around him, which he will continue to have because of that team friendly contract, doesn't take away from him. He put that entire tea on his back and rode into the playoffs. Pretty enormous drop off when Minshew played.

59 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He'll continue to, because of their front office also. They've drafted Kelces replacement 3 times and then those players go on to become probowl guards and comp picks.

Hurts is great, just because he has a solid team around him, which he will continue to have because of that team friendly contract, doesn't take away from him. He put that entire tea on his back and rode into the playoffs. Pretty enormous drop off when Minshew played.

No doubt. The ceiling of Hurts provides Eagles an opportunity to compete with any QB. Doesn’t hurt that his intangibles seem to be elite as well. Your Eagles looking primed for a nice 3-4 year window.

That contract is wild how he’ll continue to be of great financial value to the organization over next 4 seasons. Cool on Hurts part for working with the organization similarly to Mahomes and Allen. Gives me hope the NFL (QB) isn’t speeding towards the NBA superstar model—yuck

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

May be an image of 1 person, playing football, football helmet and text that says 'ppeuo Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter Eagles' QB Jalen Hurts' salary-cap numbers for the next four seasons after today's $255 million extension: 2023: $6.15 million 2024: $13.56 million 2025: $21.77 million 2026: $31.77 million'

You are going to have to draw that outrage with crayon for me to understand it, because they just signed a top NFL QB off a trip to the SB and it doesn't hurt their cap space at all.

At All! 

Since extension, this covers 6 years of contract and the original year 1 would have been 4 mill.  To still get these numbers I feel like there needs to be void years as well.  They have definitely done a good job giving themselves a window here that they have (likely) strong QB play and not burying the team.  

There is enough guaranteed, that there will be at least a few years with big numbers OR maybe a few moderately big years where he isn't slated to be on the team without a restructure/extension.  Although at that point, they would have already had Hurts for 8-10 years and may be the best time to go back to the rookie QB deal to compensate.

That is not bad at all for Hurts. barely harms the Eagles at all.

Of course there are some void years that are gonna house some massive cap hits, but Hurts is young and the hope would be that they could just give him another contract b4 this one is up and kick the can down the road again.

You don't gotta be afraid to pay big money to a QB. Contracts like Hurts just prove it further. Eventually they will likely take a nasty hit, bit they are likely going to be competitive for a long while before then and that is a worthwhile trade-off.

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

That is not bad at all for Hurts. barely harms the Eagles at all.

Of course there are some void years that are gonna house some massive cap hits, but Hurts is young and the hope would be that they could just give him another contract b4 this one is up and kick the can down the road again.

You don't gotta be afraid to pay big money to a QB. Contracts like Hurts just prove it further. Eventually they will likely take a nasty hit, bit they are likely going to be competitive for a long while before then and that is a worthwhile trade-off.

The structure on that deal is great for the Eagles. Yearly options bonuses. 6mil cap hit this year, then only on the 20-30mil ranges for a couple of years after that. They’ll just keep on extending/adding years on/ converting money etc.

First rate use of the salary cap system.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

That trade up for Lance doesn't get criticized as badly as it should. So far, it's far worse than the RG3 trade.

Honestly I think Shanahan legitimately wanted Mac Jones but got talked out of it.

They were better off taking Justin Fields. Shanahan could have worked some magic with his running ability at least. Not that Fields isn't a bust either.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Honestly I think Shanahan legitimately wanted Mac Jones but got talked out of it.

They were better off taking Justin Fields. Shanahan could have worked some magic with his running ability at least. Not that Fields isn't a bust either.

That draft was sort of the precursor to the QB frenzy. Turns out that draft kind of sucked for QBs Imagine the 49ers not stepping in **** with Purdy, if they did, Garapolo gone and Lance busting and not having all those pics. Shooting yourself in the foot with a bazooka. 

The ability to toss your ego aside and pivot is critical in most things, but especially the QB position. Most are “dumb” when it comes to the QB position, but no excuse to hang on just because you drafted the dude—keep it moving. 

The Lance deal appearing to be terrible for the Niners is what it is, must keep firing more shots. Shooters must keep shooting. Losers sulk and hang onto assets based on ego filled emotions.  

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

That trade up for Lance doesn't get criticized as badly as it should. So far, it's far worse than the RG3 trade.

Agreed. It was poorly conceived too. At least RG3 started for a number of years at Baylor and won a Heisman. Lance started for a year and 1 game at NDSU. He was all projection

• Like 4

It's disingenuous to call the Hurts deal super duper smart salary cap-wise when then 2027 and 2028 cap hits are probably going to be massive.

Punting the bill into future years can be the right move, but it's not without risk and I think a lot of people here (and in general) are way too cavalier about doing it.

I'm actually generally a fan of Rivera's aversion to it (whether it's borne out of personal philosophy or Dan's de facto budgetary constraints).  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

It's disingenuous to call the Hurts deal super duper smart salary cap-wise when then 2027 and 2028 cap hits are probably going to be massive.

Punting the bill into future years can be the right move, but it's not without risk and I think a lot of people here (and in general) are way too cavalier about doing it.

I'm actually generally a fan of Rivera's aversion to it (whether it's borne out of personal philosophy or Dan's de facto budgetary constraints).  

But in five years the cap is only going to go up more. And there are other young QBs that are going to get big contracts that'll probably eclipse Hurts's.

19 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

It’s disingenuous to think he’ll be on the same deal in 2027, structured as it is today. 

25 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I don’t want to worry you too much but Daron Payne has a 28mil cap hit in 2026. 

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

It’s disingenuous to think he’ll be on the same deal in 2027, structured as it is today. 

I don’t want to worry you too much but Daron Payne has a 28mil cap hit in 2026. 

Sure, but that only works until it doesn't. Like I said, I'm not saying you shouldn't ever do it. Just that it's kind of a joke to tweet out the cap hits of the first four years and make no mention of the cap hits in the out years.

7 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Sure, but that only works until it doesn't. Like I said, I'm not saying you shouldn't ever do it. Just that it's kind of a joke to tweet out the cap hits of the first four years and make no mention of the cap hits in the out years.

Then you also have to understand the fully guaranteed element in those out years.

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

Why would anyone be a fan of how we currently operate?  The Eagles, Rams and Saints have operated the exact OPPOSITE, and I'd say it's worked out great for them.  Those teams can manuever the cap, and make the moves they feel will enhance their team, and put them in SB contention.  They have smart front office personnel and financially savy exec's that make sure they operate within the boundaries.  That's literally the opposite of whatever the hell we're doing.  The only logical thing we've done recently is pay our homegrown players who deserve it.  That's it.  Everything else is nonsensical, and quite literally the opposite of how a winning franchise operates.

To your point about how the Hurts deal affects the Eagles salary cap in 2027 and 2028, who cares???  If they win an SB or a couple of SB's, it won't matter what their salary cap looks like in 4-5 years.  Hell, just getting to SB's and winning conference championships would be considered a win  They'll be too busy planning parades, and raking in money from the championship merchandise.  Teams that are winners don't care about hypothetical situations 4-5 years from now.  They only care about how they can win that year's championship, and how they can get themselves in the best possible position to do so

Edited by samy316
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

It's not disingenuous. You have to be able to tell the difference and how these two contracts will affect their teams differently over the next few years.

Eagles- Great deal

Giants- Bad deal.

FB_IMG_1681830509370.jpg

• Like 2