Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

25 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

But why would Wagner come here if he can get similar money from a known, established contender?

Familiar Coaches

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Completely disagree. We had a high school coach for our secondary after firing our first one and our DC. It's hard to judge any of our players from last season because our HC, OC and DC were all awful.

Hope your right, preseason games to regular season was not starter caliber. His weight is always going to be a concern on running downs. I do like the new coaches and they will be a big upgrade for all.

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Outside of TE in the draft and tackle in FA, its really a lucky draw for us in both FA and the draft.  Good match up of needs to the classes at these spots.  

FA is tacked IMO at edge, MLB, S.  And is good enough at CB and interior O line. 

This off-season was completely built for us to do a one year turn around. If things go as expected, I'll be expecting us to at worst almost make the playoffs. I don't see a losing season coming for a very long time.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

But why would Wagner come here if he can get similar money from a known, established contender?

All things being equal, yes, you’d think he’d go to a contender.  Thing is, there are a lot of other factors in play here:  1) how many teams are seen as contenders right now, 2) what is their cap situation, 3) do they have backers in house already, 4) is ILB where they want to spend their money, and 5) might they prefer one of the other fair few quality linebackers set to hit FA.

Not gonna dissect all of those, but just regarding cap space, I’m seeing the Bengals, Lions, Texans and I guess Rams as the only contenders with over 15mil in effective cap space.  Ravens have just over 1mil, and I think 8 teams that were in the playoffs are in the red on cap space.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Completely disagree. We had a high school coach for our secondary after firing our first one and our DC. It's hard to judge any of our players from last season because our HC, OC and DC were all awful.

Totally agree on evaluating players especially in the secondary.  I think next year we might find some solid players if they are used in the right scheme and role.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

This off-season was completely built for us to do a one year turn around. If things go as expected, I'll be expecting us to at worst almost make the playoffs. I don't see a losing season coming for a very long time.

LOL. Yay, almost making the playoffs. A true goal for our team to shoot for. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly

4 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

LOL. Yay, almost making the playoffs. A true goal for our team to shoot for. 

Going from 4 wins to almost making the playoffs as a worst case scenario is not a big improvement to you? Dumb

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Going from 4 wins to almost making the playoffs as a worst case scenario is not a big improvement to you? Dumb

LOL. Of course, I forgot that you saying "worst case" made it 100% so. Because of course every attempt to turn around a bottom of the league team in one year never goes any worse than "almost make the playoffs." That's clearly the very worst possible result. How silly of me. 

Personally, I'd rather try to build a SB contender than a desperate quick-fix to hopefully get to 8 wins or so in one year. I will own up to being "dumb" that way. Because prioritizing mediocrity, as we all know, is the height of brilliance. 

7 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

LOL. Of course, I forgot that you saying "worst case" made it 100% so. Because of course every attempt to turn around a bottom of the league team in one year never goes any worse than "almost make the playoffs." That's clearly the very worst possible result. How silly of me. 

Personally, I'd rather try to build a SB contender than a desperate quick-fix to hopefully get to 8 wins or so in one year. I will own up to being "dumb" that way. Because prioritizing mediocrity, as we all know, is the height of brilliance. 

Why does going from 4 wins to over .500 mean you aren't improving and don't want to continue improving to become a SB contender? I'm having a hard time with this logic. Is there an obligatory amount of time we're supposed to be bad? Are the Texans getting fined for making the playoffs or something? 

• Like 1

If we sign Jackson then we better draft a center early. Putting a rookie center between two vet guards would be good. 

Would also help at tackle.

The issue is I'm not sure we can drop Wylie and Gates and they're both decent guards. I'd rather keep one, cut one and draft the position on day three.

I feel the same at tackle.

It's like that game FKM.

**** (use for a year) Leno

Kill (cut) Wylie

Marry OT Paul 

I don't think we save much cutting Wylie this year. I'd draft a RT and swing Wylie to the 6th man role.

I like the idea of drafting a C and having him play between two high quality vets and pairing him with our franchise QB for the next decade, but I also like the idea of having a veteran C in there to ease up some of the pressure. I'm good with either path. I just wish we could get JPJ but no chance he falls to 36.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

If we sign Jackson then we better draft a center early. Putting a rookie center between two vet guards would be good. 

Would also help at tackle.

The issue is I'm not sure we can drop Wylie and Gates and they're both decent guards. I'd rather keep one, cut one and draft the position on day three.

I feel the same at tackle.

It's like that game FKM.

**** (use for a year) Leno

Kill (cut) Wylie

Marry OT Paul 

The Wylie/Gates conundrum Ron and EB put the team into is real.

While most every believes the best thing is to cut both and start fresh, I am not certain they can really do that with the CAP hits.

I do think one of them will need to used at LG. 

They absolutely need to address a starting T and C minimally. 

Based on the great T draft class I am really they take advantage of that by pick 36 and take aim at a vet C in FA.

FA should also address one quality Edge, LB,  DB, OL, TE and probably a WR

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

The Wylie/Gates conundrum Ron and EB put the team into is real.

While most every believes the best thing is to cut both and start fresh, I am not certain they can really do that with the CAP hits.

I do think one of them will need to used at LG. 

They absolutely need to address a starting T and C minimally. 

Based on the great T draft class I am really they take advantage of that by pick 36 and take aim at a vet C in FA.

FA should also address one quality Edge, LB,  DB, OL, TE and probably a WR

There are going to be starters on day three all across the OL. This class is crazy deep. I don't think any of the tier 1/2 OTs last until 36. Maybe Paul. We do have a shot at one of the top 3 centers.

Lot of folks seem to be forgetting about Ricky Stromberg. Not saying we can't target a Center in the draft or FA, but Stromberg, in theory, SHOULD be ready to step in and start this year at C. And he was a favorite of many draftniks last year, so I am willing to give him a chance there. And some of what I have seen from the beat reporters is that Stromberg is the penciled starter at this stage.

6 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Lot of folks seem to be forgetting about Ricky Stromberg. Not saying we can't target a Center in the draft or FA, but Stromberg, in theory, SHOULD be ready to step in and start this year at C. And he was a favorite of many draftniks last year, so I am willing to give him a chance there. And some of what I have seen from the beat reporters is that Stromberg is the penciled starter at this stage.

I don't think Strom is being forgotten. The question is, did he prove enough that he could be the starter at C or  G? 

His injury cost him such valuable playing time to prove himself

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I liked Stromberg when we drafted him but the fact is, he was a 3rd round pick from the previous regime that couldn't get playing time on what was a bad OL. We can't bank on him at all. Just consider him a depth piece and any more you get out of him is a bonus.

Don't make the same mistake we made last year with the likes of Shadiq Charles and Chris Paul.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

There are going to be starters on day three all across the OL. This class is crazy deep. I don't think any of the tier 1/2 OTs last until 36. Maybe Paul. We do have a shot at one of the top 3 centers.

I would love both. Heck, I'd love a LG, C RT and LT.  IMO one of the two needs to addressed in FA and a vet C may be easier than a T.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I would love both. Heck, I'd love a LG, C RT and LT.  IMO one of the two needs to addressed in FA and a vet C may be easier than a T.

The Ts in FA are not very good. There are some real good Gs and Cs. On the flip side the draft is deep and loaded at T. Could be ten that get first round grades, so a first round caliber one being available at 36 is pretty high(but will depend on how our FO grades them of course).

• Like 3