Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you get Ben Johnson, he might be able to get the most out of Noah Fant who is a FA.  A dude I liked but not loved before the draft.  He's more of an F type of TE (slot) but that's fine.

I don’t really like Fant but I am also queasy about giving Henry and Schultz big long term deals. The other option is to trade with another team - perhaps Pitts or Kraft

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you don't go for the top of the FAs, you don't have to spend 20 million plus for FA edge rushers.  That's part of the point.  It's been in recent years a deep FA corp for edge where you don't have to spend a ton.  

Agree they need LBs. 

As for TEs in the draft versus FA.  That's a tough call. The FA corp for TE is meh.   The draft IMO isn't exciting this year let alone TEs tend to take time to develop so TE isn't going to be an easy solution for 2024 IMO.    It was a missed opportunity not to take a TE last year.

I might change my mind some after the combine.  I doubt we are in play for the top 2 TEs in the draft.  Bowers goes in the first.  I like Sanders but not with an early 2nd pick so I expect him gone.   There are guys I like in the third ala Sinnott and Stover but its hard to gauge their speed.  I want to see how they run.  

I know cutting Logan saves a ton of money, but I could see him coming back honestly.  Are getting anyone better?  Plus, another year out of the ACL injury.

50 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I know cutting Logan saves a ton of money, but I could see him coming back honestly.  Are getting anyone better?  Plus, another year out of the ACL injury.

Prefer to get young and draft a couple this year like the Packers did last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

I’d cut him right away

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

We might be able to find another TE who can help get us to 4 wins again.

• Haha 3
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

If we get Peters I’m expecting a few player trades for sure.

If Allen really wants out I think GB could be a good fit. They have multiple second rounders, their D sucks, and they have the youngest team in the league and could use his leadership. 

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

If Allen really wants out I think GB could be a good fit. They have multiple second rounders, their D sucks, and they have the youngest team in the league and could use his leadership. 

I also mean trades to bring people in, SF are renowned for that.

17 hours ago, mhd24 said:

I like his leadership and toughness and his red zone playmaking, which is part of why we were bizarrely good in that one aspect of offense.  But be is such a horrible blocker that I really want to move on from him.  He is basically -1 hat on every run play.

13 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I like his leadership and toughness and his red zone playmaking, which is part of why we were bizarrely good in that one aspect of offense.  But be is such a horrible blocker that I really want to move on from him.  He is basically -1 hat on every run play.

Yeah, with a new FO and his cap savings, Logan is probably a goner.  There just aren't any quality TEs out there in FA or in the draft after Bowers (whom I think is a lock at #5 to LAC). That's why I think there's a chance he stays, especially for a young QB whom we'll draft.

Any thoughts on trying to grab Hunter Henry in FA as a replacement?  He's younger, but he's also got an injury history and would only be a stopgap.

Edited by mhd24

19 hours ago, method man said:

I don’t really like Fant but I am also queasy about giving Henry and Schultz big long term deals. The other option is to trade with another team - perhaps Pitts or Kraft

We are boxed into a crappy situation at TE IMO.  

Schultz, Henry or Fant in FA. None are exciting but it is what it is.

And as far as the draft goes.  For starters its a slow developing spot so the odds are low that one hits the ground running.  For example l started seeing tweets late in the season touting Will Mallory playing well but heck that was a slow burn because he did nothing earlier in the season.  That's the typical ride with many TEs.

In this draft, clearly we aren't getting Bowers.  So whose next?  I like Sanders as a YAC guy but using an early 2nd on him feels rich and I think he's gone before our third.  In the third I am thinking Stover or Sinnott but i want to see how they run and neither of them hit me as breaking the mold as to hitting the ground early.

There are some other TEs further in the draft that I like that i've mentioned on the draft thread but i don't see them breaking loose in year 1.

My point I don't see this position fixed in the context of 2024.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

None of the TEs in the draft are worth a crap after Bowers. At best you take a shot at a Cole Turner type in like round 5.

Mid round pick seems the way to go,

or by means of a lazy connection, we’ll trade a late round pick for one of the 49ers back ups.

• Thumb up 1

We have so few guys under contract and none under bad contracts we need to get out from under. We have tons of cap space. 

I think we go HAM in FA, not necessarily lots of big money guys (maybe one big money pass rusher) but lots of players in general to fill spots and compete with all the rookie draft pick and UDFAs we bring in. I think we bring in way more UDFAs this year also.

This should be the biggest roster turnover we’ve seen in a long time.

Edited by seantaylor=god

22 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

We have so few guys under contract and none under bad contracts we need to get out from under. We have tons of cap space. 

I think we go HAM in FA, not necessarily lots of big money guys (maybe one big money pass rusher) but lots of players in general to fill spots and compete with all the rookie draft pick and UDFAs we bring in. I think we bring in way more UDFAs this year also.

This should be the biggest roster turnover we’ve seen in a long time.

Yeah I'm in agreement with this. I wouldn't spend big on any one player but just sign lots of guys to 1, maybe 2 year deals. Kinda like what Houston did last year. Rivera screwed up a lot but one of the few things he did well was sign some good unheralded players to short contracts(Ronald Darby, Deandre Carter to name a couple). Find guys like that to fill out the roster and help compete and maybe you luck into a guy who can be a long term starter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We are boxed into a crappy situation at TE IMO.  

Schultz, Henry or Fant in FA. None are exciting but it is what it is.

And as far as the draft goes.  For starters its a slow developing spot so the odds are low that one hits the ground running.  For example l started seeing tweets late in the season touting Will Mallory playing well but heck that was a slow burn because he did nothing earlier in the season.  That's the typical ride with many TEs.

In this draft, clearly we aren't getting Bowers.  So whose next?  I like Sanders as a YAC guy but using an early 2nd on him feels rich and I think he's gone before our third.  In the third I am thinking Stover or Sinnott but i want to see how they run and neither of them hit me as breaking the mold as to hitting the ground early.

There are some other TEs further in the draft that I like that i've mentioned on the draft thread but i don't see them breaking loose in year 1.

My point I don't see this position fixed in the context of 2024.   

Agreed. May have to live with it being crap in 2024 and fix in 2025. I wouldn’t be surprised if Amari Rogers surprises us next season

28 minutes ago, method man said:

Agreed. May have to live with it being crap in 2024 and fix in 2025. I wouldn’t be surprised if Amari Rogers surprises us next season

I don’t see Harris wanting to live with crap. His main analytic guy places serious value on a TE….and with a rookie QB. We’ll make some form of move at TE, even if we trade for one.

24 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I don’t see Harris wanting to live with crap. His main analytic guy places serious value on a TE….and with a rookie QB. We’ll make some form of move at TE, even if we trade for one.

If Arthur Smith were still in Atlanta I'd offer one of our 3rds for Pitts but a new coach might actually wanna use him.

6 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah, with a new FO and his cap savings, Logan is probably a goner.  There just aren't any quality TEs out there in FA or in the draft after Bowers (whom I think is a lock at #5 to LAC). That's why I think there's a chance he stays, especially for a young QB whom we'll draft.

Any thoughts on trying to grab Hunter Henry in FA as a replacement?  He's younger, but he's also got an injury history and would only be a stopgap.

Spotrac has Henry's market value at 7 million AAV.  If we can get him close to that, it'd be fine with me.

I like a TE room with Henry, Bates, and a rookie late rounder or UDFA like my guy Brant Kuithe.  I think that would get the job done for year one until we can get to a better draft class.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think we could use a high end WR across from Terry. When we draft a QB at 2, I want him to have the best chance to succeed and I'd be perfectly happy to invest super heavily in offense at first and let the defense lose games for us so we get one more year of high picks.