Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

24 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

A reputation he would ruin in his first few months as an owner here if he forces this.  I don't care if Ron and Mayhew don't trade Montez Sweat in time to get a 24 draft pick for the next regime.  I care about the culture that Josh Harris creates here being functional and professional and excellent.  THAT is his role as an owner.  That is how he ensures we actually turn a corner as a team.  And that has absolutely nothing to do with telling his front office to trade off impending free agents on their way out the door.

I don't think you guys realize how bad a sign it would be for Harris to actually do what you all are rooting for him to do.  How deleterious it would be to the team's culture.  If I'm a rising star GM or coaching candidate, and I have options around the league, do you think I'm going to come work for the team whose noob owner just told his coaches and front office people they better win to keep their jobs, then midway through the year he said **** it and forced them to trade off some of their best players?  The best available people are going to pick the best available situations.

I think any serious candidate would understand the logic and appreciate they are not having to inherit a mess (like negotiating with Chase and Sweat simultaneously). If they have questions on the approach, they can go backchannel with Morey, Hinkie, Colangelo etc on what it is like to work with Josh Harris. If a candidate cannot process and comprehend the situation and why Harris had to step in, then they lack the intellectual and logical reasoning abilities to have this job and can go eliminate themselves

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, method man said:

The point you are missing is that these guys are not people he hired and are not incentivized to do the best for this org longer term. I have no issues with Harris forcing this, especially because he has a decade long reputation of being hands off as it pertains to people he has hired in the NBA and NHL

Agree.

That point was made to Standig from other teams personnel guys when he asked around which was that Rivera's self preservation move would be to stand pat so they are skeptical he'd make a move on his own.

It's not like some obscure point that only Washington fans are thinking -- its what thought of around the league that Ron will put Ron first not the team. 

So the idea for Harris to push a move, would be frowned upon around the league?  The league already gets why Harris would push it.  And that's before delving into the fact that Harris didn't hire this team.  If Harris hired the cook, then he should let his hire cook.  But when he temporarily inherited a cook which he is going to replace in a couple of months -- why the heck should be at the mercy to their every whim as if said cook is the future.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

Of course the year we have a new owner /  lame duck front office is the same year we have a pretty strong FA crop.  I wish we had a competent group to assess whether each player had a chance of being extended or not, but that ship has sailed at this point.  Really sucks as it relates to curl: I'd hate to see him go, but think the tag number is too high for him.  Wish we were able to lock him up by now.  

I'd be heated if Allen or Payne is traded.  I will not be losing any sleep over Sweat and young.  Sad to know we won't get the same value that the nyg received for Williams, but that makes me even more excited for a new FO that maybe we can actually make good moves at some point in the near future. 

As far as brissett goes, I bet we are lucky to get a 6th.  I'd be ecstatic with a 4th.  I think the "he is a good mentor to sam" is a bit overblown.  Brissett has been here for camp/preseason/8 games, not a big deal if he is not here for 8 more games if we can get a good pick out of it.  If Howell gets hurt, oh well, we aren't going anywhere anyway.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Of course the year we have a new owner /  lame duck front office is the same year we have a pretty strong FA crop.  I wish we had a competent group to assess whether each player had a chance of being extended or not, but that ship has sailed at this point.  Really sucks as it relates to curl: I'd hate to see him go, but think the tag number is too high for him.  Wish we were able to lock him up by now.  

I'd be heated if Allen or Payne is traded.  I will not be losing any sleep over Sweat and young.  Sad to know we won't get the same value that the nyg received for Williams, but that makes me even more excited for a new FO that maybe we can actually make good moves at some point in the near future. 

As far as brissett goes, I bet we are lucky to get a 6th.  I'd be ecstatic with a 4th.  I think the "he is a good mentor to sam" is a bit overblown.  Brissett has been here for camp/preseason/8 games, not a big deal if he is not here for 8 more games if we can get a good pick out of it.  If Howell gets hurt, oh well, we aren't going anywhere anyway.

Not the worst thing to not have Curl resigned

1) Look at the FA safety class. I bet he is going to be humbled

2) We don’t know if the next DC will emphasize the big nickel as much as these guys do

• Like 1

I know I've gotten some grief for lauding the Giants FO's more aggressive approach -- Roseman style for the present and the future.   Though I wondered if they'd be good this year for the same reason I wondered about us -- a crap O line.  But at least they have injuries as an excuse. 

Ironically the Giants #2 in the FO was a higher up working for Roseman in Philly recently.  I've liked the Giants trades.   Toney, Waller, Simmons, L, Williams.  If they believe their season is going nowhere, then make deals.  

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

The only way I can justify dealing off Chase or Sweat is if the purpose is to accumulate picks to go up and get a QB in the draft like Drake Maye. 

Why?  Chase and Sweat are on expiring contracts and you can't, and shouldn't keep both.  Or maybe either.  Get what you can for them and then deal with what you are going to do with it later.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I would almost never want ownership involved in personnel matters. In this case, though, if Ron is deciding to hold pat in contrast to the long-term interests of the franchise because it doesn't benefit him (which seems highly plausible), then I would absolutely be in favor of Harris stepping in and telling him to get something done. 

My preference would still be to sign one of Sweat and Young long-term soon and see what the offers were on Allen or Payne, who would presumably have much more trade value. 

I agree with commando.

If Harris was going to get involved and override Ron, he should have fired Ron and put his people in place. 

11 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

If he is that bad and TH is the only other option they have, I'd think they would want another QB over a DE.

Maybe we can package in Brissett lol

He is that awful. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Screen Shot 2023-10-30 at 4.40.28 PM.png

Josina used so many negatives there, I'm not sure I understand if it's a double negative, triple negative or quadruple negative.

I got it at the end, but man, she just can't come out and say anything directly.

This one was pure gold though... PS: Nothing came of this and it was just all gobbldy gook. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

If Harris was going to get involved and override Ron, he should have fired Ron and put his people in place. 

I don't think he can right now.  Which is why you direct Ron to do what you want him to do, pay him through the end of the season, fire him, and replace him then.

Or give Ron the option to resign, still pay him, and tell somebody else to do what you want done to stack assets for the next guy.

But he can't hire a new GM right now, or whoever he wants to be the next HC.  

So you play the hand you're dealt.

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

To me, a second round pick or a couple of thirds just aren't worth the precedent of an owner getting directly involved in roster management.  I can be at peace with watching Montez Sweat walk for nothing this offseason if that's the choice that our GMs and HCs make.  The organization's culture is more important than the draft picks.

I also think the next regime deserves to get to make the choice about Chase and Montez.  Those guys are foundation type players, and if we're going to have a quick turnaround with a new regime instead of an extended rebuild, then I want to keep all of our foundation players.

I'm not at all worried about any precedent being set by a new ownership group raising issues with a lame-duck regime.

Also, I think it's frankly a little naive to think all owners aren't involved in these decisions. There's nothing remarkable about Harris asking Ron and Co. what the plan is, to which Ron would likely give some answer that more or less equals "well, if everything breaks exactly right, we could go 8-9 and there's a small chance that could mean a #7 seed" to which Harris should say "no, let's do what's in the best interests of this team's future."

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1