Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

3 hours ago, philibusters said:

I think Rivera's comments are pretty clear.  Teams have expressed interest, one team maybe made a low ball offer on Montez Sweat, but until teams start making serious offers we don't know how serious other teams are.  Lets say a team offered a fourth rounder for Montez Sweat.   We want a second rounder.  At some point thing might get serious and while a team doesn't make offer a second, they offer a third this year and a fourth the following year, which would be a serious offer even if it adds up to less than a second rounder, which is generally thought to be equal to two third rounders.  But until a team starts seriously negotiating, we don't know who is seriously interested.  That was my interpreation

Yup, some national sports media outlet had an ex GM on today said the same.  Said you field calls for weeks with tire kickers but until some team gets serious with an offer, you just don't know.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That’s rubbish isn’t it. Information may not get anywhere near the public domain but within close NFL circles teams will know a lot of what is happening and what everyone else is thinking. 

15 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They need to blow up the entire defense and start over.  It doesn’t work together and it’s not ALL on JDR.  

We’re not close. 

Now, a new GM/Coach, given the cap room and draft assets could get us close quickly.  IF Howell is the answer at QB or they go get an answer if he’s not.  

Agree, this thing needs a reboot. 

Shouldn’t say this but a heavy defeat to the Eagles may be exactly what we need. However, it’s hard to imagine the new ownership group can’t already see the failings on this roster.

• Like 1

The defense just needs to play more zone. I bet we see more Hudson (who stinks, nut manages to show up in games like this) and maybe some Cox. Two decent coverage LBers.

Wouldn't surprise me to see more Forbes and Quan this game.

Chase was the one spying Hurts last game, we'll see if that's the same this game. We contained pretty well, but the middle kept opening up.

Keim. 

If they lose he thinks there is a good chance they deal Sweat. Sweat is more in demand than Chase. He thinks probably a 3rd rounder is his market right now.

No firesale coming.

Brissett won’t be dealt. He’s a good mentor for Howell and Howell might get hurt considering all the hits he’s taken 

He said maybe they’d deal Gibson. He said the regime is largely disappointed with him. But Keim doesn’t know if there would be any market for him 

Harris isn’t the type to tell the FO what to do but he also is the type to want explanations for actions. Keim somewhat hinted that if they lose on Sunday, Ron might not have any easy time explaining why he doesn’t want to make any moves because he would need to defeat the argument that all he cares about is his immediate future.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The defense just needs to play more zone. I bet we see more Hudson (who stinks, nut manages to show up in games like this) and maybe some Cox. Two decent coverage LBers.

Chase was the one spying Hurts last game, we'll see if that's the same this game. We contained pretty well, but the middle kept opening up.

Does Hudson really stink? I've been hearing he's done well (honest question)

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim. 

If they lose he thinks there is a good chance they deal Sweat. Sweat is more in demand than Chase. He thinks probably a 3rd rounder is his market right now.

No firesale coming.

Brissett won’t be dealt. He’s a good mentor for Howell and Howell might get hurt considering all the hits he’s taken 

He said maybe they’d deal Gibson. He said the regime is largely disappointed with him. But Keim doesn’t know if there would be any market for him 

Harris isn’t the type to tell the FO what to do but he also is the type to want explanations for actions. Keim somewhat hinted that if they lose on Sunday, Ron might not have any easy time explaining why he doesn’t want to make any moves because he would need to defeat the argument that all he cares about is his immediate future.

This is too bad to hear but not surprising since Ron seems to be coaching like his job depends on it. 

In a season where we aren't going anywhere, we should trade as many players for picks that we can. Brissett could net us the most as a QB that recently started in the league. So what if that means we have to rely on Fromm as backup. Seasons already basically over.

3 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

This is too bad to hear but not surprising since Ron seems to be coaching like his job depends on it. 

In a season where we aren't going anywhere, we should trade as many players for picks that we can. Brissett could net us the most as a QB that recently started in the league. So what if that means we have to rely on Fromm as backup. Seasons already basically over.

He's horrendous against the run and bad at blitzing, but isn't awful in coverage.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim. 

No firesale coming.

The timing of the Shen hire wasn't a coincidence. 

1 hour ago, bird_1972 said:

They could sell Brissett by saying " ya know, this guy was a starter in the NFL just last season! And he was pretty danged good! He was #9 in QBR last season! And you know how crucial having a top 10 QB is! " How about...ya know...maybe...possibly...ya know...a 1st round pick in return!?? Maybe? 😁

Edited by AlwaysBeRedskins2Me

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

The defense had a million more problems than just playing more zone. 

That might help.  But this isn’t a dominant, take over a game defense.  If it was it would have shut out the Giants, and Bears.  

The collection of players is never as good as the sum of its parts.  

Some of that is coaching.  

It’s time for a change.  Maybe it’s just psychological at this point, bad juju, but this group had 4 years to get it together.  They haven’t.  It’s time for a drastic change and to substantially change resource allocation from defense to offense. 

14 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Gibby is my guy but the RB position is near worthless and we barely give him the ball now anyways. He had like 4 touches last week.

If we can net anything from moving the dude at the end of his deal I'll take it.

Honestly, who needs a RB with a fumbling problem? There will be no market.  Unless it’s the Chiefs who want a backup RB who knows the system.  

• Thumb down 1

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The defense had a million more problems than just playing more zone. 

That might help.  But this isn’t a dominant, take over a game defense.  If it was it would have shut out the Giants, and Bears.  

The collection of players is never as good as the sum of its parts.  

Some of that is coaching.  

It’s time for a change.  Maybe it’s just psychological at this point, bad juju, but this group had 4 years to get it together.  They haven’t.  It’s time for a drastic change and to substantially change resource allocation from defense to offense. 

We punted 7 consecutive times and only gave up 14 points. In the second half when a tiny semblance of an offense could stay on the field, they were shut out.

Falcons game and the Cards game were won 100% by the defense. 

We held the Bills to 16 points through 3 Q with zero offense.

Bears only had one WR catch the ball and thanks to man and a rookie, that's all they had. Playing Man lost us that game directly.

I feel like unless we play like the 85 Bears, this defense will always get blasted. 

How about we field ANY offense and score just a few points, and run the ball to hold the clock, just a bit and play zone like we did last year and the year before, after Man failed and see how they do.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We punted 7 consecutive times and only gave up 14 points. In the second half when a tiny semblance of an offense could stay on the field, they were shut out.

Falcons game and the Cards game were won 100% by the defense. 

We held the Bills to 16 points through 3 Q with zero offense.

Bears only had one WR catch the ball and thanks to man and a rookie, that's all they had. Playing Man lost us that game directly.

I feel like unless we play like the 85 Bears, this defense will always get blasted. 

How about we field ANY offense and score just a few points, and run the ball to hold the clock, just a bit and play zone like we did last year and the year before, after Man failed and see how they do.

The defense gave up 250 yards in the first half to the Giants.  I don’t care what the offense is doing.  Tyrod Taylor and a 4th string defensive line couldn’t stop big plays and let the Giants walk up and down the field.  The only reason they didn’t score more is a fortunate fumble and I think they missed a FG.

I get the offense was bad.  But the defense wasn’t worn down in the first half.  It was just extraordinary bad all the way around.

They didn’t need to play like the 85 bears.  They needed to play up to the level of their talent and they didn’t.  

They were torched with big plays against Chicago, Atlanta and NYG.  If Ridder was an NFL QB, they lose that game by 20. 

They’ve been bad.  But average.  Not good.  Absolutely bad the last 3 games.  

The best game they played was the first 3 quarters against Buffalo.  And I don’t hold it against them what happened late.

Against the Eagles, if they adjusted or gave Forbes more help maybe they would have been better against the Eagles. 

Since the Eagles game they have been a complete train wreck.  And lucky in the Falcons game.  Appallingly bad in the Giants game. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The defense gave up 250 yards in the first half to the Giants.  I don’t care what the offense is doing.  Tyrod Taylor and a 4th string defensive line couldn’t stop big plays and let the Giants walk up and down the field.  The only reason they didn’t score more is a fortunate fumble and I think they missed a FG.

I get the offense was bad.  But the defense wasn’t worn down in the first half.  It was just extraordinary bad all the way around.

They didn’t need to play like the 85 bears.  They needed to play up to the level of their talent and they didn’t.  

They were torched with big plays against Chicago, Atlanta and NYG.  If Ridder was an NFL QB, they lose that game by 20. 

They’ve been bad.  But average.  Not good.  Absolutely bad the last 3 games.  

The best game they played was the first 3 quarters against Buffalo.  And I don’t hold it against them what happened late.

Against the Eagles, if they adjusted or gave Forbes more help maybe they would have been better against the Eagles. 

Since the Eagles game they have been a complete train wreck.  And lucky in the Falcons game.  Appallingly bad in the Giants game. 

Oh yeah, we're definitely losing games because the defense isn't scoring more points than the opponents offense.

God forbid you lay any blame on the offense whatsoever. They're definitely doing their part.

14 points is just insurmountable amount of points  for any offense to over come.

We're averaging 20 points a game

17 over the last 3

7 last week

14.3 at home

and playing against the 4rth leading scoring team. I'm sure this loss will be all on the defense.

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Oh yeah, we're definitely losing games because the defense isn't scoring more points than the opponents offense.

God forbid you lay any blame on the offense whatsoever. They're definitely doing their part.

14 points is just insurmountable amount of points  for any offense to over come.

We're averaging 20 points a game

17 over the last 3

7 last week

14.3 at home

and playing against the 4rth leading scoring team. I'm sure this loss will be all on the defense.

Who said I wasn’t blaming the offense?

But against that team we should have been able to punt on first down on every drive and win the game 4-0 on safeties alone.  They hadn’t scored a first half TD all season.  They hadn’t scored a TD in a month.  

We let them go for 250 yards and 2 TDs in a half.  They missed a sure FG.

Forget the offense.  It doesn’t matter in this case. They were trash.  Ok.  Whatever.  

Judge the defense on its own merits.  They were a red zone fumble and a missed FG away from giving up 24 points to a team that had a backup QB and who’s OL is appreciably worse than ours, who have a TE and RB and nothing else at skill positions and who literally can’t score or move the ball at all.  

It was terrible. 

So was the offense.  If it makes you feel better, I absolutely acknowledge the offense was a complete train wreck.  The play calling wasn’t good.  The OL struggled tremendously.  They punted on their first 8 drives.  It was abysmal.  

And since the Giants are really bad, we still could have won the game if the offense wasn’t abysmal.  Fully agree.  

Which does absolutely nothing to the point the defense played a horrendous game and got lucky they didn’t give up 24 points to a team which can’t score at all. 

My argument isn’t the offense isn’t bad.  

It’s the defense, with 6 first round picks in 7 years and significant resource allocation is massively disappointing and a very significant change needs to be made. 

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

OK, here's some trade deadline buzz:

• Washington is listening to calls on both Chase Young and Montez Sweat, and there's interest in both. The Commanders have also received inquiries on quarterback Jacoby Brissett. Sitting at 3-4 with Philly on deck, this week could be big for them in regards to trade plans.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/38749725/nfl-week-8-predictions-fantasy-sleepers-stats-latest-buzz-2023

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

That's why I got confused. I thought why would koolblue be upset about the Eagles losing a crucial player. Lol.

Well, if you know his backstory…. Never mind lol

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK, here's some trade deadline buzz:

• Washington is listening to calls on both Chase Young and Montez Sweat, and there's interest in both. The Commanders have also received inquiries on quarterback Jacoby Brissett. Sitting at 3-4 with Philly on deck, this week could be big for them in regards to trade plans.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/38749725/nfl-week-8-predictions-fantasy-sleepers-stats-latest-buzz-2023

Man, losing Chase Young doesn’t sit right, but as long as the Harris is 100% spearheading with whoever he consulting him I’m cool with it. Dislike idea of Ron having any sort of power trading young talent away (talent that will be in its prime for next 2 year build). 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

5 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Only was they get a 2nd for a rental is if he's agreeing to a long term deal at the same time.

I suspect he will do that.  It has been rumored the teams that were interested were also interested in extending.

Edited by Redskins 2021