Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

No major cuts on the O-Line or linebacker from June 1st.  I would try to bring in a RT and LB.   Maybe Duane Brown or trade for Kelvin Beachum (assuming we only give up like a 6th rounder) and Kwon Alexander or Anthony Barr.   I hate our depth at LB  and I want another starter at O-Line (which would allow us to move Wylie to Guard).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Be wild if we swapped Simmons for Chase.  @KDawg

I’d be a happy camper. I’m just not sure Simmons is the same player he was at Clemson at this point. They’ve changed his style and position so much. But if we get Clemson Simmons he’s a perfect fit for this D.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I’d be a happy camper. I’m just not sure Simmons is the same player he was at Clemson at this point. They’ve changed his style and position so much. But if we get Clemson Simmons he’s a perfect fit for this D.

He seems similar to Davis in a lot of ways, which gives me hope for him.

Queen would be my target out of all of them.

58 minutes ago, MrJL said:

maybe let's look at potential free agents who haven't under performed their draft status, first

A reclamation project is likely all you’re getting this time of year, barring surprise camp cuts. 

Queen was a good player last year. I’d love to add him but it depends on the draft pick we’d have to give up. Trading picks for a pending free agents isn’t generally a good move for teams still in the rebuilding phase. If we can get him for a 5th or something I’d be into it.

7 minutes ago, terpfan said:

Queen was a good player last year. I’d love to add him but it depends on the draft pick we’d have to give up. Trading picks for a pending free agents isn’t generally a good move for teams still in the rebuilding phase. If we can get him for a 5th or something I’d be into it.

I'd draft any of those players on day 3 if they were in the draft, so I'd swap a pick for them, too.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Be wild if we swapped Simmons for Chase.  @KDawg

AZ has completely screwed up in how they've tried to utilize Simmons. Hope he's not damaged beyond repair at this point. Dude was impressive. The right coaching can make a huge difference.

1 hour ago, Conn said:

A reclamation project is likely all you’re getting this time of year, barring surprise camp cuts. 

this was in response to the post about players who's fifth year options were declined

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

The Dantzler signing was identical to the Gates/Wylie signing. A bunch of back ups who were insurance for the draft, that we could push into starting roles if the draft went a different way.

Wylie was arguably the best player in the SB, based on performance and not perception.

• Haha 1

Just because these guys are not extended with a 5th year doesn't mean they will be cheap to get imo. The teams just don't want to commit the $ it will take a year early with guarantees.  Any of those LB's would be welcome on our team honestly.  They can all play from what I've seen.  Queen may be the most reliable one. Brooks looked dang good the last two years tackle wise, but is coming off a knee.  Not sure what Simmons is at this point, which was his problem coming out. Murray not so sure what has happened, I didn't get to see him much.  If I had to pick today I'd say Queen and wouldn't invest too much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Wylie was arguably the best player in the SB, based on performance and not perception.

I've already posted videos of him with penalty worthy plays throughout the game on a field that was intentionally slick to take away the pass rush. 

We'll see. You don't think that there wasn't a bidding war for a FA RT who was as you say "the best player in the superbowl"?  :ols:

2 hours ago, skinzplay said:

AZ has completely screwed up in how they've tried to utilize Simmons. Hope he's not damaged beyond repair at this point. Dude was impressive. The right coaching can make a huge difference.

AZ has screwed everything up the last few years. Who knows.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I've already posted videos of him with penalty worthy plays throughout the game on a field that was intentionally slick to take away the pass rush. 

We'll see. You don't think that there wasn't a bidding war for a FA RT who was as you say "the best player in the superbowl"?  :ols:

Yeah but those plays were against your real team so there’s too much bias in your take on that one. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

When I glanced at this post I though you were calling your favorite off-season acquisition a FART :ols:

I don't recall any other team expressing interest in him lol

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, terpfan said:

Queen played well after the Ravens signed Roquan Smith to a huge deal to play next to him and simplified his role. We don’t have anyone at the level of a Roquan Smith for Queen to play next to.

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Queen played well after the Ravens signed Roquan Smith to a huge deal to play next to him and simplified his role. We don’t have anyone at the level of a Roquan Smith for Queen to play next to.

Sure wish we did but few have guys like Roquan

Amazing, a few years ago I'd jumping for joy to have an opportunity for Brooks, Queen, Murray or SImmons. Now it's a bit of a yawner. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Yeah but those plays were against your real team so there’s too much bias in your take on that one. 

If the eagles were my real team, don't you think I'd have watched their games live and not ours? 

I watched us flounder against the giants and our season die on the field instead of the eagles tee off on the bears on the way to the superbowl. 

The "real team" stuff is annoying. I religiously follow this bottom 5 team over the last 30 years, instead of a top 5 team.

I wish they were my first team.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The "real team" stuff is annoying

So is having it constantly pointed out that a division rival is better than us in every way.

If you were a Bengals fan I don't think anybody would care.

Ps, we know the eagles are better, you'd have to be pretty ignorant not to realize that but this is a fan message board for the Washington commanders not the Philadelphia eagles.

8 minutes ago, redskinss said:

So is having it constantly pointed out that a division rival is better than us in every way.

Ps, we know the eagles are better, you'd have to be pretty ignorant not to realize that but this is a fan message board for the Washington commanders not the Philadelphia eagles.

I don't constantly bring it up and when I do, it's because they're the model team that I want us to be like.

You brought it up in the other thread. 74 brought it up in here, because I don't like the RT we brought in and he made an absurd comment.

It's like when you're vegan and everyone knows it and you say "I ate a hot dog" and your friend says "OMG I thought you were vegan", so the next time you say "I ate a vegan hot dog" and the same friends say "why do you always have to say vegan, we know already".

Annoying.

I was a huge fan of the Chiefs and Raiders when I was a kid, too and then also the Broncos for a while. AFC West was so much fun in the 80's/90's.

I knew more players names on the 91 Oilers, than the Redskins or Eagles because I loved watching them and their playoff loss to the Bills hurt as much as ours to the Raiders in 83.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, redskinss said:

We beat the Beagles last year and are gonna beat them again this year. There are holes in their defense and EB will exploit them. DYK there hasn't been a repeat winner in the NFC East since 2003/2004 (Eagles)? 

Someone else is gonna win the East this year, may as well be us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess there's no need to worry about the TE position now:🙄

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/analysis/commanders-sign

Commanders Sign Former Vikings Tight End

Minnesota only employs five tight ends since the surprising retirement of Minnesota native Ben Ellefson. Nick Muse and Johnny Mundt are the two athletes who are fighting for one roster spot behind star TE T.J. Hockenson and Josh Oliver, a new signing. A former member of the team’s tight end group, Brandon Dillon, joined a new team, the Washington Commanders.

Dillon signed with the Vikings in 2019 after he went undrafted. He played college football at Marian University. Playing against lower-level competition never helps prospects in the pre-draft process. Regardless, Dillon made it into the NFL.

In addition to his college career against subpar competition, Dillon was undrafted and those players are always massive underdogs to make the 53-man roster. The tight end didn’t care and made the team anyway after some excellent preseason outings. His debut came in the season opener in 2019 where he played seven snaps on offense.

Already exceeding expectations, the Vikes waived him a couple of days after the game and added him to the practice squad instead. He also received another contract after the season and his journey to make the roster started all over again.

This time, Dillon didn’t make it but earned, once again, a spot on the practice squad. He appeared in three games in 2020 and recorded his first career catch for six yards.

Earning another year on the practice squad, the Vikings released the former NAIA standout in December 2021. He had short stints with the Jets and Saints but was unable to make a team in 2022.

The Commanders also employ starter Logan Thomas and depth players Cole Turner, Curtis Hodges, and John Bates. It should be considered one of the worst TE groups in the NFL, so Dillon has a shot to make the team. The 26-year-old played in five games for the Mike Zimmer-led team.

Washington also had Cameron Dantzler on the team until he was released to make room for Dillon’s signing. The cornerback spent his first three seasons in Minnesota but neither the Zimmer regime nor the successors were big fans of his.

He surprisingly landed in the doghouse in back-to-back years with different coaching staffs in the building despite the team’s inability to find quality cornerbacks. The release after only a couple of months with the franchise is a bad sign for his future NFL career.

Edited by DWinzit