Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

6 hours ago, RWJ said:

Completely nuts but hey they are tied to him for a long time.  I don't think he's worth it.  

He is the top QB in the NFC and has made major strides every year. He is totally worth it. The Eagles are fantastic at optimizing draft capital and I expect them to be able to find guys on rookie deals to make up for all the vets they will be unable to sign/ resign 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, method man said:

He is the top QB in the NFC and has made major strides every year. He is totally worth it. The Eagles are fantastic at optimizing draft capital and I expect them to be able to find guys on rookie deals to make up for all the vets they will be unable to sign/ resign 

Jalen Reagor says Hi. 

They have had their busts - but when you hit on the QB spot it makes it all OK. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Jalen Reagor says Hi. 

They have had their busts - but when you hit on the QB spot it makes it all OK. 

Sure but my point that I should have made clearer is no one is better than Roseman at optimizing draft capital to get “a lot of shots on goal.”

It allows them to draft a year or two ahead vs drafting to catch up, which we have had to every draft until this current one in which we can finally now focus on taking BPAs

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, method man said:

Sure but my point that I should have made clearer is no one is better than Roseman at optimizing draft capital to get “a lot of shots on goal.”

It allows them to draft a year or two ahead vs drafting to catch up, which we have had to every draft until this current one in which we can finally now focus on taking BPAs

Roseman has two 1st round picks again this year and many expect him to deal the #10 pick to move back and pick up an extra 1st round pick next year again. If we did this every year we'd have 2 first round picks every year too. It's pretty smart. Last year he robbed the Saints...we'll see who he robs this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, method man said:

Roseman has certainly done a good job at accumulating draft capital. They are still in a very strong position to build around Hurts using young players on rookie deals. 

They will have hard choices when it comes to giving out second contracts though. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, method man said:

Still not worth the money.  

• Like 2

Just now, RWJ said:

Still not worth the money.  

If your QB is elite which Hurts certainly looked the part last year then it's absolutely worth it.

I'd rather pay Hurts $255 Mil than Derek Carr $100 Mil or whatever it is he got. 

Either go all in on an elite potential superstar or roll with a guy on a rookie contract. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If your QB is elite which Hurts certainly looked the part last year then it's absolutely worth it.

I'd rather pay Hurts $255 Mil than Derek Carr $100 Mil or whatever it is he got. 

Either go all in on an elite potential superstar or roll with a guy on a rookie contract. 

No QB in the NFL Is worth that much money.  JMO. WH and anyone else.  NFL and all of sports has gotten out of hand with salaries.  Just plain silly what these players get paid.  You're going to pay more to see them play too if you attend the games.  LOL.  Let's just let it go.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RWJ said:

Completely nuts but hey they are tied to him for a long time.  I don't think he's worth it.  

Of course he's worth it.  He outplayed the best QB in the league in the SB.  He was 2 minutes away from leading a game winning drive to win the SB, if his defense bothered to show up in the 2nd half.  Hurts is without question the best QB in the NFC now.  That's not saying too much when you realize that all the good to great QB's now play in the AFC, and Aaron Rodgers will be joining the AFC shortly, but the fact remains that he is the best QB in the conference, and the Eagles are the best team in the NFC, and one of the best in the NFL.  When you get that franchise QB, you pay him. 

If you check out the salary cap numbers for his contract, he's only costing them $6 million this year, and $13 million next year.  They won't have to worry about their cap situation until year 3, when that number goes to $21 million.  Howie Roseman is the best GM in the NFL, and he actually got Hurts for a bargain, when you think about what Burrow and Herbert will be going for next year.  It's "cute" to live in the fantasy that Washington is ahead of the game, because they're paying their current QB peanuts, while every team in the division is paying big money to their respective QB's, but Philly is different.  They actually have a franchise QB, and a great FO and scouting department.  Dumb teams like the Browns pay that kind of money because they're desperate.  That's not the case with the Eagles.  If they were willing to pay Hurts, he definitely deserves it.  They'll definitely be in the SB again before his contract expires.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

No QB in the NFL Is worth that much money.  JMO. WH and anyone else.  NFL and all of sports has gotten out of hand with salaries.  Just plain silly what these players get paid.  You're going to pay more to see them play too if you attend the games.  LOL.  Let's just let it go.  

So you'd rather the billionaires keep the money? 

• Like 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

So you'd rather the billionaires keep the money? 

This.  The salary cap is only going up, and it will be at $225 million in the next 2 years.  Teams will have an influx of cash to spend, so these numbers now for QB's will go even higher going forward.  In 3-4 years, contracts like Rodgers, Hurts and Russell Wilson will seem like bargain basement deals compared to what Burrow, Herbert, and Lawrence will get.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RWJ said:

The amount the NFL and NFL franchises make from media deals is what pays the bills. As long as the media money keeps rolling in the CBA dictates the percentage of that that rolls down to players - and elite QBs are always going to get the lions share of that cut. Gate receipts are only around 15% of revenues and that percentage is dropping each year. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

37 minutes ago, RWJ said:

May be an image of 1 person, playing football, football helmet and text that says 'ppeuo Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter Eagles' QB Jalen Hurts' salary-cap numbers for the next four seasons after today's $255 million extension: 2023: $6.15 million 2024: $13.56 million 2025: $21.77 million 2026: $31.77 million'

You are going to have to draw that outrage with crayon for me to understand it, because they just signed a top NFL QB off a trip to the SB and it doesn't hurt their cap space at all.

At All! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

May be an image of 1 person, playing football, football helmet and text that says 'ppeuo Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter Eagles' QB Jalen Hurts' salary-cap numbers for the next four seasons after today's $255 million extension: 2023: $6.15 million 2024: $13.56 million 2025: $21.77 million 2026: $31.77 million'

You are going to have to draw that outrage with crayon for me to understand it, because they just signed a top NFL QB off a trip to the SB and it doesn't hurt their cap space at all.

At All! 

these cap hits are insane. And that’s what happens when you sign someone early instead of making them prove it again and again while you run out of cheap years to spread cap out.

Not to rehash the right/wrong decision, but logistically we could’ve done something similar with Kirk when he was up for extension. That’s how you can win while still paying big money. Do it early. 

instead we waited out and put him on the tag, and it got exponentially more expensive and contentious.

Eagles W unfortunately 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, “Misdirection” said:

these cap hits are insane. And that’s what happens when you sign someone early instead of making them prove it again and again while you run out of cheap years to spread cap out.

Not to rehash the right/wrong decision, but logistically we could’ve done something similar with Kirk when he was up for extension. That’s how you can win while still paying big money. Do it early. 

instead we waited out and put him on the tag, and it got exponentially more expensive and contentious.

Eagles W unfortunately 

When I saw the initial numbers and getting a contract so early, I was taken aback a bit, but when I saw this breakdown, I was blown away.

Eagles are the class of the NFC for at least the next 4 years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, “Misdirection” said:

Eagles W unfortunately 

Cash over cap. They are paying out most of the money via signing and roster bonus payments which they can spread out - but that will catch up at some point. Then again if he keeps playing at a high level they can extend him again and restructure. It's a good deal if he keeps playing at a high level and doesn't get hurt.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I'll admit the Eagles certainly were creative.  Its still a mystery how these mega-contracts don't trigger very big impacts on the team's overall cap. 

For example, I'm really curious how the Eagles can spread out Hurt's $23,294,000 signing bonus, his $15,000,000 in incentives and his $179,300,000 guaranteed over the term of his contract ending in 2028, and only have about 71 million of cap hit in the first 4 years.  It makes me think that the last two years of his new contract would have to be huge - and likely would require another extension to avoid huge cap impacts (or incur appx. 50 million in dead cap per year) for the 2027 and 2028 seasons.  Whatever, the Eagles better have a big insurance policy to recoup their costs should Hurts get some kind of injury like Alex Smith had. (As I recall, we wound up with some dead cap from that contract.)

As for those saying how these mega-deal signings would not really be impacting Joe "Football Fan", I can't help but think some of these cost do get passed on down to the consumer, perhaps as advertising costs can get tacked on to the selling price of things we buy .  As for media deals covering costs, lets see what happens to things like NFL Game Pass streaming prices. 

I'm not going to comment about the merits of who gets the money, rather just concern myself on how much more it might cost me (directly or indirectly) to closely follow NFL football in the future. 

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Captain James said:

WOW. So we're at the point in sportsball where players are now earning a quarter of a billion dollars. Yikes.

Where have you been? they've been doing that. Football players have just been behind. Baseball players have been getting quarter of billion dollar level contracts for a couple decades. Don't get me started on Soccer players.

• Thumb up 1

Supposedly, from what I heard this morning, the way the Eagles structured Hurts contract to be cap "friendly" makes the NYG contract with Daniel Jones look really bad? I don't have details but the Philly talk show guys were raving about it this morning on my drive to work.