Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Maybe the SB winning RT has come here to play LG.

My apologies, I didn’t realise that was you Vinny.

he would have been playing RG the year before that if Eric Fisher hadn't gone down.  And he was the starting LG for 2019, a Super Bowl winning team, he just missed the playoffs with a high ankle sprain

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrJL said:

he would have been playing RG the year before that if Eric Fisher hadn't gone down.  And he was the starting LG for 2019, a Super Bowl winning team, he just missed the playoffs with a high ankle sprain

Yeah I know. Thought it was a pretty funny reply though. You think he’s here to play LG ?

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Yeah I know. Thought it was a pretty funny reply though. You think he’s here to play LG ?

I would be perfectly fine with him getting shifted there.  Considering he's started at three different positions for teams that went to the Super Bowl, I'd be fine whereever they want to put him, it's more a question of who I want replaced

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I would be perfectly fine with him getting shifted there.  Considering he's started at three different positions for teams that went to the Super Bowl, I'd be fine whereever they want to put him, it's more a question of who I want replaced

Rivera specifically noted 2 other players fighting for the LG berth, with Wylie on the right, but yeah they all do flex.

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The plan at this very moment is for Wylie to play RT. That much is obvious. But if a stud RT prospect falls into our laps at 16 and we take him, well you got to put the five best guys out there.

and if an LT goes, well Charles Leno is also a swing tackle

Off-topic...

Well, kind of on, but outdated...

Was watching the end of the Pat McAfee show from yesterday and a caller called in and asked Pac Man Jones what it was like to play with Haynesworth...

"Albert was a total dickhead. I really don't have anything nice to say about Albert."

AJ HAwk: "Shouldn't Washington have seen that? This is a guy we probably shouldn't pay $100M?"

Pac Man: "Well, Washington has always been a team that doesn't give a ****. They haven't won and they were just trying to win."

Yup. Sounds right. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Off-topic...

Well, kind of on, but outdated...

Was watching the end of the Pat McAfee show from yesterday and a caller called in and asked Pac Man Jones what it was like to play with Haynesworth...

"Albert was a total dickhead. I really don't have anything nice to say about Albert."

AJ HAwk: "Shouldn't Washington have seen that? This is a guy we probably shouldn't pay $100M?"

Pac Man: "Well, Washington has always been a team that doesn't give a ****. They haven't won and they were just trying to win."

Yup. Sounds right. 

Sums up the Snyder era very well. Can't wait for us to turn the page.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/02/nfls-funding-rule-isnt-mandatory-did-the-browns-make-escrow-payment-for-deshaun-watson-deal/

NFL’s funding rule isn’t mandatory; did the Browns make escrow payment for Deshaun Watson deal?

We’ve asked both the Browns and the league on Saturday. There has been no response. (We tried again this morning.)

The reason for the question is simple. The relevant portion of the Collective Bargaining Agreement does not include mandatory language for the funding of future guarantees.

The section on “Funding of Deferred and Guaranteed Contracts” appears at page 178 of the CBA. It begins like this: “The NFL may require that by a prescribed date certain, each Club must deposit into a segregated account . . . .”

One of the first things they teach you in law school is the difference between the words “may” and “shall.” The first is permissive. The second is mandatory.

So if it’s “may,” it’s not required. The NFL doesn’t have to do it.

The funding rule was put in place years ago at the NFL Players Association’s behest, to protect players against potential owner insolvency. Now that no one is going broke, there’s no need for the funding rule.

More specific to the terms of the CBA, there’s no reason for the NFL to require funding of fully-guaranteed deals.

For now, the question is whether the NFL required the Browns to do it for Watson. If the league didn’t, some may wonder whether the funding rule is, at this point, nothing more than a phony device used by teams as an excuse to not give full guarantees.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

The whole "boo hoo owners gotta foot these massive downpayments" or "they need time to invest and make money and they can't do that if they gotta pay dudes upfront" shtick is dead at this point.

Owners have been gaming the system for years. Its a joke. It has always been massively slanted in the owners favor and interests. We just didn't know it.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

The whole "boo hoo owners gotta foot these massive downpayments" or "they need time to invest and make money and they can't do that if they gotta pay dudes upfront" shtick is dead at this point.

Owners have been gaming the system for years. Its a joke. It has always been massively slanted in the owners favor and interests. We just didn't know it.

Owners don’t pay any of this out of their own pockets anyway. NFL franchises (even Washington) are extremely profitable and cash positive. As per Forbes Washington had a turnover of $544M for the 2021 season and operating income of around $130M from that revenue after costs (a big chunk of those costs are player salaries and bonuses). The teams pays the money to players out of their revenues not the owners checking account. Snyder has been taking money out of the franchise not putting it in.

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

Owners don’t pay any of this out of their own pockets anyway. NFL franchises (even Washington) are extremely profitable and cash positive. As per Forbes Washington had a turnover of $544M for the 2021 season and operating income of around $130M from that revenue after costs (a big chunk of those costs are player salaries and bonuses). The teams pays the money to players out of their revenues not the owners checking account. Snyder has been taking money out of the franchise not putting it in.

Agreed. The point being I’d say is that the whole ‘we can’t do this because of the escrow issue’ has pretty much been cleared up here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t follow this tweet at all. Gibson is available but he’s not because Snyder hates Bezos.

What?

The last part is just the author saying he won't take out a full page ad because he hates bezos.

Just him trying to be cute.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I wanna see what Gibson can do with a legit OC like Bienemy. Turner was a freaking maroon who tried to turn Gibby into a north south power back. Use him as RB/WR hybrid type and get him into space.

In fairness, he weighs 230 pounds.  He is going to have to gather a bit to turn the corner with that much size and you probably would prefer he make one cut and go and not be a multiple cut guy.   His straight line speed is elite and that does give him some ability to run zone, but I can see why they saw him as a north south guy.

I have heard jack-squat about Gibby being available.

Jack-squat is a hair under what you would get in return for Gibby. RBs are a near worthless position value wise.

If somebody wants to get off their stack and give me something worth my time I'm listening but you are almost assuredly not getting anything of note so the idea is an exercise in futility.

• Like 1

I can't wait to see how EB uses Gibby. Hopefully he has more sense than RR and Scottie and dosen't try to turn him into a power back. The dude is legit good when he gets the ball off the LOS and in space to do his thing. Line him up at receiver and turn him in to a poor man's Anquan Boldin.