Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

1 hour ago, Captain Wiggles said:

I wish I had a Congresswoman as smart and capables as Jasmine Crockett. She's awesome. Kathy Manning is my lame ass representative. She still busy committing illegal acts of insider trading I imagine. 

Mine is John Carter TX-31, who's a Fascist to his core. I'm voting next week in a runoff for the Democrat candidate to unseat this current guy. Can you tell how much I dislike him?

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Posted (edited)

Joke 1: It’s probably best that she screwed that up. We don’t need a 200 year old capitol building getting hit by lightning.

joke 2: the good news is that we can see what her hands are doing.

Edited by balki1867
  • Haha 2

Sparks fly over SNAP at contentious markup of House farm bill

Democrats and Republicans on the House Agriculture Committee sparred over food aid on Thursday at the markup of the chamber’s version of the $1.5 trillion omnibus farm bill.

The issue set off partisan fireworks at the contentious session, during which representatives from both sides of the aisle took to the dais to extol the virtues of bipartisanship while accusing their opposite numbers of throwing those values in the trash.

Lawmakers fiercely debated whether Republican attempts to freeze changes to the U.S. Department of Agriculture food aid programs were “cuts” amid broader tensions over whether the bill as put forward by House Republicans is sufficiently bipartisan to have any hopes of passage.

“I served for 26 years in the United States military, oftentimes below the poverty level and using these programs,” Rep. Derrick Van Orden (R-Wis.) said. “So I will not be lectured to by people who are saying that I’m trying to cut these benefits. It’s not true and it’s disingenuous.”

But, he added, “speaking about the waste, fraud, abuse that absolutely exists in these programs — every single dollar that goes to waste, fraud, abuse for these SNAP programs is a dollar that cannot go to feed a hungry child.”

Republicans “cannot have it both ways,” Rep. Salud Carbajal (D-Calif.) shot back. ”I have heard my colleagues say that this is not a SNAP cut. But dozens of outside experts disagree.”

If the freeze to Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, coverage was being used to pay for anything, Carbajal argued, then that money had to constitute a reduction somewhere else. “If the committee’s considering it a paid-for then that is funding you are taking away from hungry families.”

The proposed legislation, unveiled by Committee Chair Glenn Thompson (R-Pa.) last week, would draw on SNAP as a source of funds to direct subsidies to commodity farmers, largely a few thousand growers of rice, cotton and peanuts.

The measure would not reduce current SNAP levels. But it would freeze the current list of covered products, and the values allowed to purchase them, at their present levels — though these would still be able to increase with inflation.

This would make it far harder for the U.S. Department of Agriculture to add new items, or — as the Biden administration did in 2021 — to offer more support to, for example, buy more fruits and vegetables.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 2

FCC ends affordable internet program due to lack of funds

The Affordable Connectivity Program, which helped low-income Americans get online, is no more.

On Friday, the US government announced the final closure of the broadly popular federal program, which has helped tens of millions of households afford internet service, after Republicans in Congress ignored calls by consumer advocates and Democratic lawmakers to approve more funding this spring.

The program’s lapse threatens to throw nearly 60 million Americans into financial distress, CNN has reported.

The program officially ends on June 1, said the Federal Communications Commission, which administered the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) to approximately 1 in 5 households across the country and on tribal reservations.

The 2.5-year-old ACP provided eligible low-income Americans with a monthly credit off their internet bills, worth up to $30 per month and as much as $75 per month for households on tribal lands. The pandemic-era program was a hit with members of both political parties and served tens of millions of seniors, veterans and rural and urban Americans alike.

Program participants received only partial benefits in May ahead of the ACP’s expected collapse.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 2
  • Thumb down 1

I was unhappy to experience this. I was paying $5/mo for 300 mps with the program. It's regularly $35/mo. I had to cut my service to 150 mps for $20/mo. With that speed, I didn't have service in my bedroom, so I bought a 50 ft Ethernet cable for $8 and wired my modem to the Amazon box and that works. 

It's going to really hurt my budget when my rent and Medicare supplement insurance increases next month. 

• Sad 4