Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

Tuberville to try going around his own blockade to confirm Marine commandant

Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.) told senators that he will attempt to force a one-off vote Wednesday to confirm Gen. Eric Smith to become the new commandant for the Marine Corps, while he maintains his blockade on more than 300 other military promotions.

Tuberville told Senate Republicans on Tuesday during their weekly conference lunch that he will go to the floor and attempt to bring Smith’s nomination up for consideration, which would tee up a cloture vote unless Senate Democrats object to his effort. 

“In a meager way, it’s progress,” one Senate Republican told The Hill.

The senator noted that another member of the conference was planning to force the one-off vote, but Tuberville stepped up to do it himself. 

The Daily Signal first reported Tuberville’s plans. 

A total of 17 GOP senators, including Tuberville, signed a petition launched by the former Auburn University football coach to back a cloture motion on the floor. Most of those who signed the petition are fellow Senate conservatives; 16 signatures are needed to present a cloture motion on the floor. 

Click on the link for the full article

--------------------------------

Veterans group knocks Tuberville hold on promotions as ‘un-American assault on our military’ in new ad

Liberal veterans organization VoteVets is out with another political ad taking aim at Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.) for holding up more than 300 senior military officers over an abortion policy in the Defense Department.

The latest ad, “Tight lips could sink ships,” was released on Tuesday and is expected to air nationwide, according to VoteVets.

The 30-second spot knocks Tuberville for endangering national security and emboldening dictators, with the ad using classic ’50s style, black-and-white video footage in an apparent homage to old military commercials.

Flashes of the video show Russian President Vladimir Putin and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un to underscore the point that the holds are encouraging foreign adversaries.

“Dangerous dictators look on with glee as Tuberville does their work for them,” an announcer remarks.

The final few seconds of the ad also attacks Senate Minority leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Republican allies of Tuberville, who VoteVets has accused of having “tight lips” on the holds by refusing to force the senator to end his blockade on military promotions.

• Like 1

Times like these I know how serious a "political blog" is by their reaction to the biggest political news, a shutdown.  

Browsing right wing news sites today: Ray Epps, attacking Fetterman for changing the Senate dress code, attacking Gavin Newsome for CA gas prices. 

You think they would be panicing about GOP dumb political strategery, or at the very least rooting on Matt Gaetz and his shutdown brigade. 

• Thanks 2

California gas prices are a legit talking point right now. For Californians. Epps lives in Utah, I believe.

Reg unleaded is $5.59 (cash) down the street from me. 

Fwiw the real anger should be at OPEC artificially inflating the cost. California prices will always be higher than the national average due to extra additives in the Summer (for AQ purposes) and extra gas taxes to pay for road rehab/repairs. But right now OPEC is money grabbing by squeezing production. OPEC charging $100+ barrel when it should really be in the $60-$70 range (or lower).

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thumb up 1

43 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

California gas prices are a legit talking point right now. For Californians. Epps lives in Utah, I believe.

Reg unleaded is $5.59 (cash) down the street from me. 

Fwiw the real anger should be at OPEC artificially inflating the cost. California prices will always be higher than the national average due to extra additives in the Summer (for AQ purposes) and extra gas taxes to pay for road rehab/repairs. But right now OPEC is money grabbing by squeezing production. OPEC charging $100+ barrel when it should really be in the $60-$70 range (or lower).

They're cutting their own throats in the effort, long term at least.  Hastening the eventual conversation to electric.  I know our next car is going to be a hybrid.  Im guessing my next truck will be too.  

• Like 2

Yeah I’m starting to look at a new truck. Mine can’t tow what I need it to anymore. 

the f150 hybrid looks to be an option next to the ram/sierra 2500 and the f250 diesels. Of course the others can tow more, but the f150 hybrid tows the most in its class because it’ll use both motors while towing, combined with the significant increase in torque over a standard truck in that class. I’m still skeptical but it’s at least an option. 

electric could be an option if the range didn’t ****ing suck while towing. I’m not stopping to charge it every 60-90 minutes while towing something that’s just mindnumbingly stupid. 

but the tech is getting there. 

i also think oil companies cutting production makes total sense, they’re trying to get as much out of it as possible. They see the electric cars coming, they’re not stupid, they’re not worried it’ll “drive more people to buy” them, that’s already happening and they know it. They’re trying to make as much as they can while they can. 

Edited by tshile

Pretty sure my current lease is going to be my last gas car. 

I think OPEC+, which includes Russia, is intentionally inflating prices to exacerbate inflation in the US economy because most of the OPEC+ countries view Biden as their enemy and Trump as their ally (which is an accurate assessment on their part). 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 9/20/2023 at 1:18 AM, China said:

Tuberville to try going around his own blockade to confirm Marine commandant

Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.) told senators that he will attempt to force a one-off vote Wednesday to confirm Gen. Eric Smith to become the new commandant for the Marine Corps, while he maintains his blockade on more than 300 other military promotions.

Tuberville told Senate Republicans on Tuesday during their weekly conference lunch that he will go to the floor and attempt to bring Smith’s nomination up for consideration, which would tee up a cloture vote unless Senate Democrats object to his effort. 

“In a meager way, it’s progress,” one Senate Republican told The Hill.

The senator noted that another member of the conference was planning to force the one-off vote, but Tuberville stepped up to do it himself. 

The Daily Signal first reported Tuberville’s plans. 

A total of 17 GOP senators, including Tuberville, signed a petition launched by the former Auburn University football coach to back a cloture motion on the floor. Most of those who signed the petition are fellow Senate conservatives; 16 signatures are needed to present a cloture motion on the floor. 

--------------------------------

Veterans group knocks Tuberville hold on promotions as ‘un-American assault on our military’ in new ad

Liberal veterans organization VoteVets is out with another political ad taking aim at Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.) for holding up more than 300 senior military officers over an abortion policy in the Defense Department.

The latest ad, “Tight lips could sink ships,” was released on Tuesday and is expected to air nationwide, according to VoteVets.

The 30-second spot knocks Tuberville for endangering national security and emboldening dictators, with the ad using classic ’50s style, black-and-white video footage in an apparent homage to old military commercials.

Flashes of the video show Russian President Vladimir Putin and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un to underscore the point that the holds are encouraging foreign adversaries.

“Dangerous dictators look on with glee as Tuberville does their work for them,” an announcer remarks.

The final few seconds of the ad also attacks Senate Minority leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Republican allies of Tuberville, who VoteVets has accused of having “tight lips” on the holds by refusing to force the senator to end his blockade on military promotions.

Senate confirms C.Q. Brown as chairman of Joint Chiefs after monthslong Tuberville hold

The Senate voted Wednesday to confirm the nomination of Gen. C.Q. Brown to be the next chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, following a monthslong hold of over more than 300 military promotions by Republican Sen. Tommy Tuberville of Alabama.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer moved earlier in the day to have three key military promotions – the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Marine Corps commandant, and the Army chief of staff – voted on separately rather than as part of a bloc of holds by Tuberville. Following Brown’s confirmation, the Senate will take votes Thursday to confirm the new Army chief of staff and the new Marine Corps commandant.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin celebrated Brown’s confirmation, saying in a statement Wednesday evening that Brown will be a “tremendous leader of our joint force.” But Austin also slammed Tuberville’s blockade on other military nominations.

“Senator Tuberville’s continued hold on hundreds of our nation’s military leaders endangers our national security and military readiness,” Austin said. “The brave men and women of the U.S. military deserve to be led by highly-qualified general and flag officers at this critical moment for our national security.”

Earlier Wednesday, Schumer assailed the Alabama Republican’s tactics in a fiery speech on the Senate floor as Tuberville had threatened to file a motion himself on the Senate floor, something traditionally only afforded to the Senate majority leader.

The votes to finally confirm a handful of nominations this week follow months of intransigence by the Alabama senator, with members of his own party unable to move Tuberville from his position because of his opposition to a Defense Department policy reimbursing travel costs for service members who must go across state lines to seek an abortion.

In floor remarks Wednesday, Schumer said the Senate will confront “his obstruction head on,” but was forced to change direction in demanding the promotions be voted on as Tuberville’s holds stretched into months, and key military positions remained vacant.

Tuberville has refused to drop his holds, insisting instead that Schumer set up individual votes on each nominee. Until Wednesday, Schumer has resisted, saying that all nominees should have been considered and confirmed “in a bipartisan way.”

“It’s not the path the vast majority of senators on either side of the aisle want to go down, but Sen. Tuberville is forcing us to confront his obstruction head on,” Schumer said.

Schumer warned that having to give in to Tuberville’s demands for votes could set a precedent where senators can use widely supported nominees as leverage for their top issues.

“The Senate runs on unanimous consent, and we depend on each other to ensure this institution functions smoothly,” Schumer said. “That’s how we make things happen around here. If everyone objected to everything, to get leverage for their pet priorities, it will grind this body to a halt.”

Here we go again as the House GOP turns into a middle school/high school.  All because they never deliver on their promises spending cuts to voters, because they are paid by corporations to generally keep the country running smoothly.  So ironic...

This isn't even worth a breakout budget fight thread, because its the House breaking the deal that was made during the debt ceiling.  

If the Freedom conservatives shut it down, it will be the "Gaetz shutdown"....  and I would actually expect the Senate to again, slam a budget through. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Here we go again as the House GOP turns into a middle school/high school.  All because they never deliver on their promises spending cuts to voters, because they are paid by corporations to generally keep the country running smoothly.  So ironic...

This isn't even worth a breakout budget fight thread, because its the House breaking the deal that was made during the debt ceiling.  

If the Freedom conservatives shut it down, it will be the "Gaetz shutdown"....  and I would actually expect the Senate to again, slam a budget through. 

The GOP is not a party of spending cuts. They really haven't been for half a century. 

• Like 1

It cracks me up that democrats have not yet figured out that if you do something with the promise the republicans will do something later, as a compromise on an issue, that when later comes they won’t do it. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1