Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

3 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

You think bills are going to get out of the House one party can't agree to their Speaker? Maybe in days or weeks, Biden should start blasting them. But right now they'd love to fight with him in the media. Look at the Senate GOP, they are ramping up the caravans again because they need something to talk about and have nothing of their own to highlight. 

To be clear, I'm not saying Biden should say something now, I want a line where he does.

In context, I work for federal government, I come out my building right now to catch VRE home and the capital and all its chaos is right across the street from me.

So I get this being a hysterical joke to main street, a lot of my coworkers don't see it that way.

Like Biden was already heading to the border, but even if he made a speech down there on what his proposal is, ain't **** gonna happen yet.  And that's a real problem for the people that are down there, not a joke at all.

14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Are bills even going to get to him if some ridiculous scenario this does take a month or two?

Yes, I want a threshold for him to say something because of implications on the functionality of the country. 

No bills would get to him anyways.  Republicans have no interest in governing.  Nothing a GOP House would pass would get through the current Senate, and vice versa.  The GOP House is going to (1) conduct show trial "investigations" and (2) nothing else.

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 6

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

No bills would get to him anyways.  Republicans have no interest in governing.  Nothing a GOP House would pass would get through the current Senate, and vice versa.  The GOP House is going to (1) conduct show trial "investigations" and (2) nothing else.

I'm at a different stage of grief then you right now.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

To be clear, I'm not saying Biden should say something now, I want a line where he does.

In context, I work for federal government, I come out my building right now to catch VRE home and the capital and all its chaos is right across the street from me.

So I get this being a hysterical joke to main street, a lot of my coworkers don't see it that way.

Like Biden was already heading to the border, but even if he made a speech down there on what his proposal is, ain't **** gonna happen yet.  And that's a real problem for the people that are down there, not a joke at all.

Sounds like the right time for Federal Employees to speak up. I'm serious, you deserve a voice and if some protested peacefully outside of the Capitol about how you need them to do their jobs so you can do yours for Americans. That's a powerful message. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah this idea that tons of **** will get done if they’d just pick a speaker is a little off base. 

once there is a speaker we’ll see the ethics committee destroyed, investigations into the insurrection destroyed, and any other item destroyed. I’m expecting committee assignments taken away as retaliation. Investigations into Biden. The debt ceiling issue will be a joke. Etc. etc. 

this isn’t holding up anything. It’s just the first glimpse at will be 2 long years of dysfunction. 

Ok almost 5pm. Time to adjourn so people can have a life cause who gives a **** about a functioning government. 

we’ll resume the clown show tomorrow during business hours. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Because it is getting her a TON of attention. 

And because the freedom cactus lunatics know Kevin is a punk ass.  The weakness he’s showed in the past is being exploited now by a small angry minority.  They’re 5% of the votes and they’re getting everything they want out of this bum.  No one would get away with this with Man-Turtle McConnell.  That guy stole Supreme Court seats without even changing expressions.  He’d murder someone before losing this many public votes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Because it is getting her a TON of attention. 

That's obviously an assumption and quite possibly an accurate one but do you know what her stated reason is?

If someone asked her directly what her reason for not wanting McCarthy as speaker what would her answer be?

5 minutes ago, redskinss said:

That's obviously an assumption and quite possibly an accurate one but do you know what her stated reason is?

If someone asked her directly what her reason for not wanting McCarthy as speaker what would her answer be?

Hannity asked her last night.  She’s incapable of a coherent thought.  The back and forth is upthread, I believe.

9 minutes ago, redskinss said:

"Boebert said she feels that McCarthy cannot be trusted and said that there is nothing McCarthy could do to win her over."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/01/05/mccarthy-critics-house-republicans-speaker/

So, vague platitudes. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Destino said:

And because the freedom cactus lunatics know Kevin is a punk ass.  The weakness he’s showed in the past is being exploited now by a small angry minority.  They’re 5% of the votes and they’re getting everything they want out of this bum.  No one would get away with this with Man-Turtle McConnell.  That guy stole Supreme Court seats without even changing expressions.  He’d murder someone before losing this many public votes.

Facts.

It's at a point the GOP should seriously consider someone else that isn't so spineless.

Founders wanted the minority voices of the country to not be able to be ignored, not run the country.

Pete Aguilar (D-Calif.) nominated Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) as speaker.

Aguilar thanked Juan Ciscomani (R-Ariz.), who nominated Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), and said “it is our hope that this chamber gets down to business so he and all the new members in this chamber can be sworn in to do the work of the people.”

His comment received a bipartisan standing ovation.

Anna Paulina Luna nominated her fellow Florida Republican Byron Donalds in the 10th round of voting. In her remarks, Luna said having numerous ballots doesn’t mean the Republican caucus is “dysfunctional,” a remark that drew laughter from Democrats.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/01/05/house-speaker-vote-live-updates-kevin-mccarthy/#link-2BBCNGE7WZDJ3EKY4M2ATYI4O4

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Destino said:

McConnell would kill someone's whole family.  Maybe their whole town. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they live in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. Nobody has ever seen him since. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. "Rat on your pop, and Mitch McConnell will get you." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3