Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Budget Fight (FY23 and Beyond...)

Fergasun

5 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Not sure I agree with Rubin.  McCarthy convinced his caucus to actually pass a budget, which was a helluva accomplishment.  He then actually came to the table and has delivered a deal on the debt ceiling, which is incredibly important for the country.  It seems likely he may do this without even a threat to his speakership (I only see left leaning folks speak about that).  Given the insane right flank, McCarthy was and is the far more interesting person to watch in these situations.  

Rules committee will be interesting.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/05/30/dan-bishop-mccarthy-debt-limit-00099262

Dan Bishop isn’t having it.

On 5/9/2023 at 11:51 PM, Fergasun said:

I am waiting to see if GOP on the problem solvers reach out and start to waiver.  If I am McConnell, I would take a compromise at $1.6T discretionary (it is an actual cut!) but kick the debt limit to March 2025.  Setup spending caps that increase about 2.5 percent a year.  I think if you are the GOP you take it. 

McConnell will have to save McCarthy here if he can't find terms.  Biden should go to the 14th Amendment and challenge the GOP to sue 

3 weeks later.. actual deal was $1.59T, capped at 1%.  Everyone knows 1% increase is likely just for FY25.  

Setting the debt limit to expire on 1 January 2025 is interesting.  i don't get how it "removes it as a 2024 election issue."  This Congress will get another shot to hold the US hostage....

RALPH NORMAN: It's like the Pelosi days. You gotta pass it before you read it.

FOX: But he's giving you 72 hours to read it.

NORMAN: We ought to have a lot more time.

FOX: It's only 99 pages.

I guarantee old Ralph makes staffers and assistants read most proposed legislation anyway. Then gets the cliff notes at best. More time for him to get "donations" from lobbyists and mega donors for his vote is what he really wants  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

Setting the debt limit to expire on 1 January 2025 is interesting.  i don't get how it "removes it as a 2024 election issue."  This Congress will get another shot to hold the US hostage....

They can probably stretch it past Jan 2025. So maybe we don't hit it till March/April 2025. This congress sounds done with the debt limit. Hopefully we have a Dem trifecta so we don't have to deal with this bull**** again. Maybe finally eliminate it for good.

Edit: Looks like we hit back in January this year

https://nbcpalmsprings.com/2023/01/19/us-hits-debt-ceiling-prompting-treasury-to-take-extraordinary-measures/

Congress loves waiting till the last limit so probably run this thread back for June 2025

Edited by Cooked Crack
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 3

She got as far as "The Senate should have taken that bill... amended it... etc."

You dolt!  What McCarthy and Biden did was essentially the "Senate Amendment".  You want to amed the House bill?  And then the Senate will want an amendment.  The reason Congress does these negotiations is that everyone votes on the bills as is.  

So let's see the Boebert plan?  You know the debt limit is on a $45T trajectory.  What do you enact to stop it?  I didn't hear any of that.  

Oh good. So we’ll go from government can’t pay bills so everything is shut down, to house can’t bring bills to vote because there is no speaker. 

swell times we live in. Glad we’re totally squandering everything, all the time

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Make no mistake, every House Dem would have voted yes if the vote was needed. It wasn't so some got to play to their base more. 

Right. 

You know. If the general public wasn’t so stupid as to fall for garbage like this, we’d have a more functional government. 

the pandering you point out, compared to a system where people are actually held accountable for their votes, ruins everything. 

don’t get me wrong I don’t want to try to focus on the progressive dems that protest voted against it, knowing that if their vote matters they’d vote for it, because while that’s a problem it’s not the *real* problem… 

but if that stupid **** didn’t work, the more ridiculously stupid **** wouldn’t work either. 

5 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Make no mistake, every House Dem would have voted yes if the vote was needed. It wasn't so some got to play to their base more. 

4 hours ago, tshile said:

Right. 

You know. If the general public wasn’t so stupid as to fall for garbage like this, we’d have a more functional government. 

the pandering you point out, compared to a system where people are actually held accountable for their votes, ruins everything. 

don’t get me wrong I don’t want to try to focus on the progressive dems that protest voted against it, knowing that if their vote matters they’d vote for it, because while that’s a problem it’s not the *real* problem… 

but if that stupid **** didn’t work, the more ridiculously stupid **** wouldn’t work either. 

We rolled them? Really? They brought forth discussions and threatened to not pay off the country’s debts and still got some things they wanted. Negotiations are for the budget talks not paying off the debt. 

Maybe I haven’t really read it anywhere, but it seems the Dems are on the losing end other than the country isn’t defaulting. So now that they threatened sticking the country in the hole for their political gain and it worked, they are more likely to do it again in the future. 

I don’t think the U.S. should just spend whatever, but bring in new revenue and stop spending a million dollars on bus stops.

1 hour ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

So now that they threatened sticking the country in the hole for their political gain and it worked, they are more likely to do it again in the future. 

I take it you weren't alive during the Obama administration?  They do it every time a Dem is in the White House and they control the House.

• Like 1