Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CT: Increasingly under fire as potential health hazards, gas stoves could be banned in 2023, top federal official says: ‘It’s a real possibility’

China

Increasingly under fire as potential health hazards, gas stoves could be banned in 2023, top federal official says: ‘It’s a real possibility’

Citing studies that link gas stoves to health problems, including asthma in children, a U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission official said his agency will begin a formal review process that could lead to new regulations.

“We need to be talking about regulating gas stoves, whether that’s drastically improving emissions or banning gas stoves entirely,” said Commissioner Richard Trumka. “And I think we ought to keep that possibility of a ban in mind, because it’s a powerful tool in our tool belt and it’s a real possibility here.”

The commission will begin soliciting information from the public in March, Trumka said, and regulation could happen in 2023.

The American Gas Association responded with a written statement from Richard Meyer, vice president of energy markets, analysis and standards: “AGA is eager to submit for the record objective technical information related to the safety of gas cooking appliances and ways to reduce cooking process emissions — which are produced both by cooking with electricity and cooking with gas — from impacting indoor air quality.”

Gas cooking in the home was linked to a 42% higher risk that children would have asthma, in a 2013 study published in the International Journal of Epidemiology. The study, a meta-analysis combining the results of 41 previous studies, also suggested a 24% increase in children’s lifetime risk of asthma.

A subsequent study found that longer use of gas stoves caused higher nitrogen dioxide levels, which in turn were linked to increased nighttime inhaler use in children with asthma.

Homes with gas stoves have nitrogen dioxide concentrations 50% — 400% higher than homes with electric stoves, according to a report by the clean energy nonprofit RMI.

A 2022 study in Environmental Science and Technology found hazardous air pollutants, including the carcinogen benzene, in natural gas used in Boston-area homes, and a 2020 report by RMI found that gas stoves often create indoor levels of nitrogen dioxide that exceed EPA standards for outdoor air.

Good ventilation systems can reduce the health risks of cooking with gas. But Trumka said it’s important that your stove’s exhaust hood connects to a vent outside your home.

Click on the link for the full article

My kids were raised in gas stove apartments and my onw single family house also has gas stove and heating and fireplace. Not a single kid in my house has asthma. My wife is a stay home mom and cooked pretty much all day too. But she did have the sliding door open most of the times while she was cooking so one can just simply do that. A cook will tell you gas cooking is better than electric. She hated the electric cooking in the townhouse. 

12 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

People will be displeased if gas stoves are banned.  And for one practical point, gas stoves are a god-send when the power goes out and you need to cook a meal.

Or even sit next the gas powered fireplace like we have. It is 7 degrees outside right now and if the power was to go out no one will at least freeze to death. 

Edited by zCommander

1 minute ago, zCommander said:

Or even sit next the gas powered fireplace like we have. It is 7 degrees outside right now and if the power was to go out no one will at least freeze to death. 

I am reading this comment from my apartment which currently has the heat not working, but has a working gas fireplace keeping me warm.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Hersh said:

None of you can taste the difference between a meal cooked on a gas stove vs an electric stove. 

Ummm.... My chef wife says gas gives her more control over the flame which allows for better cooking unlike electrical circle. I trust her expertise in this matter. 

She has a point. You can see how high or low the flames are but you can't see that on an electrical stove. Also she says you can turn down the heat quicker compared to electrical stove where the coils take their time to cool down to the temp you have lowered to. 

The bs on even cooking comes from people not knowing that the flames actually hug the bottom and side of a cooking pan. If you have a pan that doesn't sits squarely on top of all of the coils then the only part touching the coil gets more and direct heat. Simple science really.

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Ummm.... My chef wife says gas gives her more control over the flame which allows for better cooking unlike electrical circle. I trust her expertise in this matter. 

She has a point. You can see how high or low the flames are but you can't see that on an electrical stove. Also she says you can turn down the heat quicker compared to electrical stove where the coils take their time to cool down to the temp you have lowered to. 

The bs on even cooking comes from people not knowing that the flames actually hug the bottom and side of a cooking pan. If you have a pan that doesn't sits squarely on top of all of the coils then the only part touching the coil gets more and direct heat. Simple science really.

If your wife cooked one meal with a gas stove and one with electric, I'm 100% confident you wouldn't know which regardless of her own preference. Both would undoubtedly be great meals. 

I can certainly understand why a restaurant kitchen would prefer a gas stove.

Edited by Hersh

+1 on being able to cook with no power

And my wife says same thing on more control of the heat applied to food she's cooking.

But 42% higher risk of asthma for my kids is something I did not know until just now.

And I'll be honest, I didn't know what nitrogen dioxide is until just now.

On top of all this, natural gas is a non-renewable fossil fuel, something I thought we were all on the same page on with respect to trying to prevent irreversible chain reactions of destructive climate change.

I mean, we shoulda seen this one coming, folks will be pissed, I can see tax credits to help speed getting them phased out, but protecting kids and the planet is going to win here, can't have it both ways regarding how one likes to cook their food.

I'm sure some technology will come out to make manually application of different levels of heat more easy for cooking, we already do that for water poured into bathtubs last I checked, even EVs are looking into simulated manual vehicles for folks who no doubt still want them as they get phased out as well.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Well, that IS dumb. You put pans on top of it? 🤔 for me thecc be advantage is that the are much more aesthetic and as mentioned above, if the power is they still work, they are more reliable and instantly heat up.

I can boil water in about 3 minutes.  Electrics can't do that. 

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

And here I was just admiring the attempt to claim that because pans are used, therefore concentrating heat in small strips does not apply uneven heat to the food.  

I mean, for example, I personally have never had to scour a pan where the food has been scorched, on the inside of the pan, in the shape of the electric heating element.  Bet nobody else here ever has, either.  

So if I’m understanding this correctly this is a ventilation issue. Both people not using it when they’re using the stove, but also having ventilation that doesn’t go outside (which I believe is against code in this state… but people retro fit and don’t follow code all the time)

so I don’t think having natural gas/propane heat matters at all since that would definitely be properly vented outside. 

mines vented outside and there’s no chance I’m swapping it for electric unless they come up with something more than this. weirdly my wife prefers the electric oven over the gas oven. I always use the gas oven though. It preheats way faster than the electric one does…

does make me want to do a nitrogen dioxide test to see what the levels are. But we always use the vent when using the gas stove/oven