Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Giants I: Keep it Medium

KDawg

In a way, Rivera seems to have decided to forego figuring out who's going to be his QB of the future (2023 season and beyond) in order to have a chance to make the playoffs in 2022.  

It's just my opinion -- but Washington is in this dilemma, due to the hole they dug themselves into, when they whiffed on their pick of Haskins, and Wentz didn't immediately pan out for them.  I'd hoped Rivera might have been able to try assessing Wentz a little more, especially during those times when  the interior of Washington's O-Line had somewhat stabilized to be considered "semi-adequate pass protection"  and the defense had finally addressed their issues at cornerback issues.  Due to timing and injury, it now looks like Wentz will be released in 2023 -- essentially becoming an extremely expensive rental for a quarter of the 2022 season.

So what's Rivera going to do in 2023, beyond possibly extending Heinicke and m-a-y-b-e trying out Howell in a few controlled situations?  Sorry, I don't see Heinicke as the long-term solution for Washington's QB needs -- his limitations are evident even as a game-manager QB, and can we realistically Washington to continue to rely on its defense, running game, and lucky breaks to amass a 10-7 or 11-6 record in 2023 and 2024?  It seems to me, that we're enjoying a bit of a Cinderella story right now, but eventually midnight will come and than Rivera will need to decide how long he can satisfy fans with a pumpkin being drawn by mice.  I don't think we'd see Cinderella Part II, in 2023.

Okay, so in 2023, maybe Rivera can just commit to trying out Howell, big-time, but what happens if that doesn't work out?  It might work out,  but most decent NFL-level QBs were either high draft-picks, or late-blossoming veteran honed by years of experience. In 2023, Howell will be neither.  Hopefully it'll turn out that Washington found a hidden gem in Howell, but historically the odds aren't good.

So, what's the decision in 2023?  Rely on Heinicke for might be a 8-8 season?  ....toss Howell in to see what you get?  ... or try to find another vet (Carr, Marriota, Garrapolo, etc) who might be able to quickly master Turner's complicated offense in time to fill the role of a playoff caliber QB?  

As for the 2023 draft. I'm not certain, but I don't see Washington being able to give up enough draft capital  to land one of the top 2 QB prospects in the 2023 draft.  And I'm not certain drafting another QB in the lower rounds (even the second round) will fill what Washington needs going forward.  

It will be interesting to see what Rivera & Co. do to handle this dilemma.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Because people are tired of watching one of the worst QBs in the league play. Couple that about wanting to find out anything about a possible future option before they go to the pool again for seemingly the 7th year in a row 

Yeah, this is what I don't get.

The idea that "the third option" is somehow better than the other two for no good reason other than you're tired of the first two and you're simply hoping that the third option is better because you want him to be.

It's not based in fact, it's not based in logic, it's just this weird idea that "I am so tired of Heiniwentz that Howell just HAS to be better.  He HAS to be."  Which is just a hope and a prayer. 

I'd like to see him too, but not now.  Not in a playoff stretch.  It's more than likely he'll get his opportunity here.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

31 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

My guess is we'll try to address it in the draft via trade up. Rivera has tried veteran FA(Fitzpatrick) and veteran trade(Wentz) and neither worked. Its time to find someone we can develop for the next decade. That's how winning programs do it.

The funny(ish) thing is that he got maybe 6ish games combined from all "starters."

Didn't want Haskins, couldn't really play Smith, Fitz gave up at halftime, and Wentz got wrecked in Chicago.

He hasn't had a real QB yet, which is his responsibility, so it's so ****ing hard to get a read on this situation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I really don't get people who are pining for Howell at the moment.  

I watched him play a bunch at UNC he was really good, then became a full time running QB the next season and dropped a bunch. He may not work out but he has a lot of talent and plays very similar to Heinecke. We just get excited and it gets old not being able to throw deep outs and the defenses knowing it and they just sit on it because of TH noodle arm.  I love th don't get me wrong but he can't run a fully functional NFL Offense

Edited by XxSpearheadxX

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So we are officially back at the point in the circle of Heinicke debate where Z gets mad and tells people not to watch the team if they don’t like watching him play. 🤣

Not mad really. Just that stupid comments like people hate to watch him. Well okay. Don't watch then. Problem solved. Unless he wants to go put there and put on the pads himself and take over if he thinks he is better than TH. You just have to deal with it this year. Constantly saying TH is so bad is not going to make him better and less hurt on your eyes. ;)

As long as your QB gives you wins who care how many picks or picks worthy for that matter make a difference. So in the context of this year - deal with it. 

As for Howell - I would love to see him even for one game when we have clinched a playoff spot or out of the playoff spot. Behind this OL putting Wentz back is not going to be any different than before and also no point really if he is no longer going to be on the team next year. 

Edited by zCommander

50 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Imagine if Dannyboy hadn't interfered and we had drafted Sweat at 15, and then had two more second rounders....and maybe we could have drafted Herbert or Tua the next year instead of Young, though I doubt Ron would have done that.

In an alternate reality we draft Tua and Jonathan Taylor in rounds 1 and 2 of 2020. Holy crap imagine where we'd be right now....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

rewatched some of the game.  I love Robinson but that play early in the game where he ran out of bounds a couple of yards from the end zone when if he just darted right would have been an easy TD looked even more brutally bad on replay than it did in real time.  Wonder what the heck he was thinking?  That was worse than even the Desean Jackson run of bounds play in the playoff game, at least in that one there was a defender bearing down on him where he might take a hit.  With Robinson I assume it was a brain fart because he doesn't seem the type that is afraid of contact.  That was the game.  That drive ended in a field goal. 

Yeah, the only thing I can think of is he had no awareness there was space inside and he even had an opportunity to cut it back.  

I think it’s more it’s like his 5th game in the NFL and he didn’t see something more than he was making a business decision.  Because the guy ran into contact before and after that play.  

Shrug.  It happens.  And yeah, it was a huge 4 points.  But they also need to be able to punch it in in the red zone occasionally. 

That and the missed FG were huge, would have won if we had hit on those 2 plays almost for sure. 

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I rewatched some of the game.  I love Robinson but that play early in the game where he ran out of bounds a couple of yards from the end zone when if he just darted right would have been an easy TD looked even more brutally bad on replay than it did in real time.  Wonder what the heck he was thinking?  That was worse than even the Desean Jackson run of bounds play in the playoff game, at least in that one there was a defender bearing down on him where he might take a hit.  With Robinson I assume it was a brain fart because he doesn't seem the type that is afraid of contact.  That was the game.  That drive ended in a field goal. 

Which desean Jackson play was that? I must’ve blocked it out of my memory 😂