Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DB: The Word ‘Homosexual’ Is in the Bible by Mistake: The Explosive Documentary That Is Under Attack

China

The Word ‘Homosexual’ Is in the Bible by Mistake: The Explosive Documentary That Is Under Attack

The first time the word “homosexual” appeared in the Bible was in 1946. That year, a committee gathered to translate an updated English version of the book from the Greek. Religious scholars, priests, theologists, linguists, anthropologists, and activists have done decades of research and investigation into the instances where the word appears in the book. Their conclusion is that it was a mistranslation.

In other words, the Biblical assertion that homosexuality is a sin—the catalyst for an entire shift in culture, with political repercussions, religious implications, consequences for LGBT rights and acceptance, and, frankly, deadly results—was, they allege, a mistake.

As a new film asserts, it was “the misuse of a single word that changed the course of history.”

1946: The Mistranslation That Shifted Culture is a new documentary directed by Sharon “Rocky” Roggio. Ahead of its premiere this week at the DOC NYC festival, it has, as one might expect, gone viral within the conservative and Christian communities.

A grassroots campaign to promote the film on social media has gotten its official TikTok account more than 185,000 followers. That makes sense. For most people—practicing Christians or otherwise—what the film is stating is shocking.

There are layers to it: the realization that the Bible has been translated many times over the centuries, and that human error may have been involved in the process. That may be obvious, but it’s eye-opening. Moreover, there’s coming to terms with the notion that human error could be responsible for the stoking of homophobia—a mindset of hatred, oppression, and religious nationalism that has defined the last 75 years of our existence.

Before anyone has even seen the film, there has been an organized effort to attack and debunk the film’s claims. Roggio and others involved in the making of the documentary have received threats. Campaigns have been waged to get even innocuous social media posts taken down. An entire book was published to refute the evidence—even though the film has yet to be screened.

“The opposition is quite vocal about our film, trying to debunk it because they’re afraid,” Roggio tells The Daily Beast in an exclusive interview ahead of 1946’s New York premiere. “We’re literally unmooring them and pulling the anchors out from underneath.”

Those attacks are coming from all sides.

“We’ve been hit by the conservative audience,” Roggio says. “We’ve been hit by the atheist audience. We’ve been hit by LGBTQ people who have been hurt by the church and who have now left the church, because they feel that we are subscribing to religious supremacy by even playing along in this dialogue.”

Click on the link for the full article

Saw that in one of the Bible discussion threads on Reddit, not this film in particular, but idea the verses in Leviticus were talking about men sleeping with children, not men sleeping with men.

1946 is really not that long ago, though...I'm kinda suspicious...but I'll look into it, thanks for posting...

Edited by Renegade7

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Saw that in one of the Bible discussion threads, not this film in particular, but idea they verses in Leviticus were talking about men sleeping with children, not men sleeping with men.

1946 is really not that long ago, though...I'm kinda suspicious...but I'll look into it, thanks for posting...

You would imagine there are plenty of people around with family Bibles printed prior to 1946 hanging out.  Shouldn’t be too difficult to prove or disprove.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Yeah I'll be interested to see what comes of it. Doesn't pass the initial smell test for me but I'd love to be wrong. 

Anybody who thinks this changes things for the current generations of adult Christians is dreaming though. If they had to choose, they'd much rather continue hating on the LGBTQ community than be historically accurate. (Obvious exceptions granted for the dwindling population of reasonable Christians.)

• Thanks 1

The human mind is capable of great feats of imagination, especially when it comes to explaining things to to them at the time are unexplainable. Think of all the literary works including the Bible, possibly the greatest work of propaganda ever created. It's been revised hundreds of times through the years mostly to serve a political agenda. The same with other religious works. When you really think about it, religions are purposed to control human beings. 

Ghost stories, science fiction, and the like are imaginary creations. Scientology is the ultimate creation of one man that combines religious ferver with science fiction, a man who wrote science fiction.

Why people believe these things is a head scratcher to me. Rejection of assigning actual belief in these things is why I don't believe in them. Some science fiction in the past is coming true because actual science is used to create what someone dreamed up to want in the future. But Scientology doesn't ever fall into this. It's just a huge grift.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Why people believe these things is a head scratcher to me. Rejection of assigning actual belief in these things is why I don't believe in them. Some science fiction in the past is coming true because actual science is used to create what someone dreamed up to want in the future. But Scientology doesn't ever fall into this. It's just a huge grift.

Fear.

Down below it all is an overt threat. And no matter how much any of them say 'The love"... that all knowing all loving thing will cast them to eternal damnation if they don't stay in line.

'course they make up excuses that allows even an axe murderer of children to get in if he just says a couple of hoppity skippitys before it's over.

The thing I don't get is like the same thing I don't get about Trump.

It is so ****ing OBVIOUS.

~Bang

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

This is what I believe with minimal direct scriptual basis; save the golden rule of loving the Lord first and others as yourself.

The Bible talks about a debate in the early Church regarding whether Gentile believers should adopt the Jewish customs and traditions (ie. all the Levitical laws on what to eat, etc.)  This was rejected and Gentiles were free to eat what they wanted to eat.  

The homosexual debate parallels this, with the exception of the acceptance of homosexuals. Heterosexuals are forcing homosexuals to adopt this culture. There's not asterix at the cross that says "salvation is for everyone but the gays" and Christianity is willing and open to all sinners but homosexuals.  This seems like a man made roadblock.  Regardless of a mistranslation or not.  

I did some light research also discovered that modern day homosexuality is way different than the pagan sex rituals referred to in the culture 2000 years ago.  

Also, I can't explain my heterosexuality other than "I feel like I was born straight".  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bang said:

Fear.

Down below it all is an overt threat. And no matter how much any of them say 'The love"... that all knowing all loving thing will cast them to eternal damnation if they don't stay in line.

'course they make up excuses that allows even an axe murderer of children to get in if he just says a couple of hoppity skippitys before it's over.

~Bang

We are a relatively young species.  It will take us a bit more time to put away our imaginary friends.

4 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

On a somewhat related note, King James, he of the famous KJV bible, was known at the time as Queen James and is buried next to two of his alleged male lovers.

So the James Sandwich predates Doritos?  Learn something every day.

• Like 2

*sigh* this is going to piss a lot of people off

and I get that on the surface there would appear to be value in the truth being established here

but I have my doubts whatever the truth is, will be accepted, by the people that need to accept it. 

if it turns out false - is there anyone that’s going to be like “well damn I guess it was in the Bible and we need to go back to viewing it as bad like we used to” ? Of course not most of the people supporting gay rights dont appear to be religious and the only value for them here is rubbing bigotry in the other sides face

and if it is true it was erroneously added in 1946, do we expect the people using religion as their permission structure to hate gay people/rights to be like “damn guess I have to be ok with and like gay people/rights now”? Hah. All this will do is embolden them that “the gays and liberals are ruining/stealing everything” and they’ll refuse to accept it and simply become angrier. 

I get the idea of exposing the truth. I’m just not seeing what the end result here is, other than pot stirring 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, tshile said:

I get the idea of exposing the truth. I’m just not seeing what the end result here is, other than pot stirring 

Until this documentary gets viewed by younger folk who are more open to truth than the old set in their ways folks.  

1 hour ago, Bang said:

Fear.

~Bang

Edit- I totally quoted the wrong person and likely DONT  agree with whatever I quoted said.

Just got back from 3 weeks in Italy and while I definitely agree with you, it’s gobsmacking how much $$ was poured into Christianity.  I mean I always knew but just being there and it’s church after church after ridiculously ornate church, and hearing the backstories it was an arms race between communities and countries to validate themselves by building the most expensive, towering monstrosity first…or next.  It’s was the ultimate dick measuring contest and truly defined civilizations and world order.

I’m sure everyone knows this and I’m not breaking news here lol, just saying seeing it all up close is incredibly impressive and also just mind boggling.

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

This is what I believe with minimal direct scriptual basis; save the golden rule of loving the Lord first and others as yourself.

The Bible talks about a debate in the early Church regarding whether Gentile believers should adopt the Jewish customs and traditions (ie. all the Levitical laws on what to eat, etc.)  This was rejected and Gentiles were free to eat what they wanted to eat.  

The homosexual debate parallels this, with the exception of the acceptance of homosexuals. Heterosexuals are forcing homosexuals to adopt this culture. There's not asterix at the cross that says "salvation is for everyone but the gays" and Christianity is willing and open to all sinners but homosexuals.  This seems like a man made roadblock.  Regardless of a mistranslation or not.  

I did some light research also discovered that modern day homosexuality is way different than the pagan sex rituals referred to in the culture 2000 years ago.  

Also, I can't explain my heterosexuality other than "I feel like I was born straight".  

You lost me at “The Bible talks”.  Why does everyone in book club always do this?  We don’t care.

I explain my heterosexuality as “I am compelled to have sex with women instead of men”.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, tshile said:

*sigh* this is going to piss a lot of people off

and I get that on the surface there would appear to be value in the truth being established here

but I have my doubts whatever the truth is, will be accepted, by the people that need to accept it. 

if it turns out false - is there anyone that’s going to be like “well damn I guess it was in the Bible and we need to go back to viewing it as bad like we used to” ? Of course not most of the people supporting gay rights dont appear to be religious and the only value for them here is rubbing bigotry in the other sides face

and if it is true it was erroneously added in 1946, do we expect the people using religion as their permission structure to hate gay people/rights to be like “damn guess I have to be ok with and like gay people/rights now”? Hah. All this will do is embolden them that “the gays and liberals are ruining/stealing everything” and they’ll refuse to accept it and simply become angrier. 

It’s presenting the truth about something.  Doesn’t matter if it changes anyones opinion.  I’d like to know and I’m sure others would enjoy hearing it as well.  And like you said, if the truth is the translation is accurate, it just circles back to “fictional story was translated correctly” for me.  The opposite outcome is pretty delicious though.

Totally unrelated, but on the heels of the Italian churches...  I was in northern Italy in 2019 and the train stopped in this tiny village. Quaint little place, non-descript small church. Inside was an amazing sculpture of an angel set in a room with a vaulted ceiling that was truly breathtaking.. but...
Apparently this church was very old, and was rebuilt in the early 1800s. When they tore down the old buildings, they didn't want to disturb the dead that had been entombed in the floors and small catacomb (likely the basement), so they put them in the walls. A few hundred skulls in the walls of this church. 
It's pretty humbling over there. We have history here, but there.. it goes back so far. It is wondrous to think that where I was standing has been a village for 800+ years.

~Bang

20190717_145501.jpg

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

On a somewhat related note, King James, he of the famous KJV bible, was known at the time as Queen James and is buried next to two of his alleged male lovers.

I believe he was bi - apparently banged a lot of babes as well. He was also most likely a closeted Catholic, and the original KJV includes the Apocrypha, which was later expunged. Funny how this guy's authorized version, of which about 70% was directly lifted from Tyndale's translation, is viewed as inerrant by Evangelicals today.

Of course, if we want to get to controversial translations, nothing beats the translation of "alma" in Isaiah as "virgin".  Yam suf as Red Sea is a distant second.

26 minutes ago, Bang said:

Totally unrelated, but on the heels of the Italian churches...  I was in northern Italy in 2019 and the train stopped in this tiny village. Quaint little place, non-descript small church. Inside was an amazing sculpture of an angel set in a room with a vaulted ceiling that was truly breathtaking.. but...
Apparently this church was very old, and was rebuilt in the early 1800s. When they tore down the old buildings, they didn't want to disturb the dead that had been entombed in the floors and small catacomb (likely the basement), so they put them in the walls. A few hundred skulls in the walls of this church. 
It's pretty humbling over there. We have history here, but there.. it goes back so far. It is wondrous to think that where I was standing has been a village for 800+ years.

~Bang

20190717_145501.jpg

Dude I went to a place called the Bone Church which had an expansive crypt of just hundreds of thousands of bones very intricately placed in cool patterns.  There were also, mummies wouldn’t be accurate…but like dead people still wearing their Friars gear, standing up, just decaying out in the open.  Some of them still had facial features beyond just bone.  Also in the churches, the have dead Popes in these glass display cases, dressed up in their robes and again, just like mummified remains or whatever beyond just bone.  Wild stuff.

*sorry for the tangent

Edited by 86 Snyder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 86 Snyder said:

It’s presenting the truth about something.  Doesn’t matter if it changes anyones opinion.  I’d like to know and I’m sure others would enjoy hearing it as well.  And like you said, if the truth is the translation is accurate, it just circles back to “fictional story was translated correctly” for me.  The opposite outcome is pretty delicious though.

So… you agree with me then 😂 

Nothing if substance changes, bunch of people more angry. Seems like a good time.