Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Ron leave after the season?

88Comrade2000

17 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Weeelllll, Jerruh Jones did that exact thing with Tom Landry. He was so classless about it that Landry found out from watching TV. Landry had been the coach for 29 seasons and admittedly the team was fading, but he didn't deserve to get canned like that.

And this is the guy that Snyder has always looked up to.

Actually your right.  Jerry did it so we should too!! Hope Jerry dosent jump off a bridge though.  You would probably be right behind him. lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tsailand said:

We were .250 with our starting QB. 

You don't get credit for working through a QB injury when your starting QB was already terrible.

Most teams do worse when the starter goes down, not better. 

This goes hand in hand with the running game and defense improving before Wentz went down, saw that in the Bears game, his last start and they won.

I disagree they deserve credit, it's hard to win in the NFL, even harder with a bad QB, no matter who your opponent is.  Maybe this will look better if Wentz comes back and the team offense looks better then it does considering Taylor's limitations on way to a playoff berth.

Have to get their first, that's what I'm leaving door open for because a couple weeks ago this season was over, now it's not, that has to matter.

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

I think the safest thing would be just Run it back with Howell and Taylor. No tagging of Payne. Cut everyone you can with the low dead cap high salary. Wentz Fuller Logan pre 6/1. You can do two post june 1 on Curtis and Leno. 

Treat it as a tank year. You can do your GM search immediately following the draft. Thats when Front offices are built.  A good portion of the bad cap numbers are gone. You leave yourself with roughly 75 mil in cap space before 2024 offseason. A clean fresh slate. 

The problem with this is Dan would have to make the call because the new owner would not be here to make the call. Free Agency starts in March.  I doubt there is a new owner by the new league year.  MAYBE.  But I doubt it. And I don't think Dan would go into fire-sale mode while selling the team.  That's also bad optics for a buyer.  

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I don't think it's going to happen.  

FWIW, tagging Daron does virtually nothing for the 2024 year either way. 

To that end, a mandate Dan could make is don't sign long term deals with anybody, just do 1 year deals with no voided years.  That means you basically are using 2023 as a single stand alone year, everything expires at the end of the year, and still have any flexibility you want in 2024.  If you cut Wentz (which I'm fine with as long as they DON'T re-sign TH as the potential starter, and go with Howell or literally anybody else, hell, trade for Elhinger, who looked better for 55 minutes on Sunday in his first start.  Showed moxie too.  We love moxie around here), you have an extra $26m to play with.    

I'm also somewhat more bullish on some of the younger talent on the team, and I think there are pieces worth keeping around.

The big roster questions will surround Sweat, Payne and Curl.  Holcomb too, I guess.  And if you are picking up Young's 5th year option, which has to be decided this off-season, and most likely before there is a new owner.

It's just bizarre timing.  Assuming a sale, all of these decisions need to be made before the new ownership, which probably means an entirely new FO and coaching staff, are in place.  

Personally, I wouldn't cut Leno or Lucas for 2023, because they are good players at low cap numbers, and if you cut them, you have to replace them, probably with equal players for higher cap numbers.  

If the goal is to maximize 2024 cap, you can actually do that without really messing with the 2023 cap, with the exception of possibly extending Sweat, Curl and Payne.  Holcomb, you can extend and probably not notice the cap hit, it will be minimal.  I like signing some of the guys we drafted, because part of "draft and develop" is actually keeping the players who are good who you draft. If you don't do that, then what's the point of drafting and developing?

• Thumb up 1

Quit/ fired whatever... he needs to go

1. below average record

2. old school/ ineffective mentality to roster building and coaching

3. Too many misses on high profile FAs

time for a change - new owner, GM, coach - we dont need a blow up and rebuild but we do need fresh ideas, QB, and better FA acquisition record

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The problem with this is Dan would have to make the call because the new owner would not be here to make the call. Free Agency starts in March.  I doubt there is a new owner by the new league year.  MAYBE.  But I doubt it. And I don't think Dan would go into fire-sale mode while selling the team.  That's also bad optics for a buyer.  

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I don't think it's going to happen.  

To that end, a mandate Dan could make is don't sign long term deals with anybody, just do 1 year deals with no voided years.  That means you basically are using 2023 as a single stand alone year, everything expires at the end of the year, and still have any flexibility you want in 2024.  If you cut Wentz (which I'm fine with as long as they DON'T re-sign TH as the potential starter, and go with Howell or literally anybody else, hell, trade for Elhinger, who looked better for 55 minutes on Sunday in his first start.  Showed moxie too.  We love moxie around here), you have an extra $26m to play with.    

I'm also somewhat more bullish on some of the younger talent on the team, and I think there are pieces worth keeping around.

The big roster questions will surround Sweat, Payne and Curl.  Holcomb too, I guess.  And if you are picking up Young's 5th year option, which has to be decided this off-season, and most likely before there is a new owner.

It's just bizarre timing.  Assuming a sale, all of these decisions need to be made before the new ownership, which probably means an entirely new FO and coaching staff, are in place.  

Personally, I wouldn't cut Leno or Lucas for 2023, because they are good players at low cap numbers, and if you cut them, you have to replace them, probably with equal players for higher cap numbers.  

If the goal is to maximize 2024 cap, you can actually do that without really messing with the 2023 cap, with the exception of possibly extending Sweat, Curl and Payne.  Holcomb, you can extend and probably not notice the cap hit, it will be minimal.  I like signing some of the guys we drafted, because part of "draft and develop" is actually keeping the players who are good who you draft. If you don't do that, then what's the point of drafting and developing?

I’m just trying to set things up for entirely new with out the previous group (Ron and Co/Dan) leaving a mess to clean up with little draft picks or cap space. 

As clean slate as possible 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I hadn't considered this aspect of a sale. Is Snyder going to care about extending players contracts when he knows he won't be here?

He might decide to be a real douche and make Ron draft seven punters or something :silly:.

48 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I hadn't considered this aspect of a sale. Is Snyder going to care about extending players contracts when he knows he won't be here?

He might decide to be a real douche and make Ron draft seven punters or something :silly:.

Especially when he has to pay all of the guaranteed money up front 

I keep thinking of Trent Green.  He was quite a good QB for us, but we got stuck in owner-limbo.  He signed elsewhere because there was no one to make the choice to pay him what he was worth.  I expect similar this time.  I think we will lose some good players we might otherwise have kept.  It is the fan's price I expect to pay for changing ownership.  Ultimately, things won't get worse for the franchise long term, but I expect some good draft picks in our future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’m tracking some of this, but I do think some of these decisions can wait for the new ownership. The timing is key.  Will it change hands by the league new year?  That’s tough to see.  But the fifth year option decision (Young) doesn’t need to be made until late April, I believe.  Could they get new ownership in by then? Perhaps.  Extensions for Curl and Sweat could wait to early August like McLaurin.  The current regime could/should tag Payne.  Then an extension could shape up late summer.  Will it take more than 8 months for the change?  Hope not.  I agree about keeping Leno and Lucas.  Not enough to gain by releasing them, imo.

2 hours ago, London Kev said:

I was wondering what more could he do to mine this place for the new owner...

Like trading all his picks for the last pick in the draft... or an actual practice squad long snapper... And do that for the next 32 years to come...

Edited by Wildbunny

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

I was wondering what more could he do to mine this place for the new owner...

Like trading all his picks for the last pick in the draft... or an actual practice squad long snapper... And do that for the next 32 years to come...

If there's a winning bidder by year's end, I imagine their bid will be contingent on Dan not gutting or sabotaging the team while the sale is pending.

3 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Especially when he has to pay all of the guaranteed money up front 

That’s not actually true.  The guaranteed money which is not immediately paid goes into an escrow account.  The escrow account would then be considered cash in the business and would have to be bought by the buyer.  

11 hours ago, Zim489 said:

This would be the worst case scenario though. I don’t think you can leave Ron and Co can be allowed to stay if the new ownership is in by 2022 end. If it’s March it would have to be A standing mandate that no major moves up or large FA signings or trades. 

A staff that is obviously “on their way out because of new ownership” can’t be allowed to act like a wild animal cornered fighting for their survival. 

A staff fighting for their survival is exactly what I'd want. But every decision made will be weighed about what is best for the team by years end. We don't know what this team can do once the shadow of Dan is removed.

Look what happened to this franchise when we went without an owner before. There needs to be a power in place during the off season, well before free agency and draft evaluation begins. Giving RR, Marty, etc the reins during that season only makes sense to me. Only then can we evaluate to what extent Dans shadow darkened the room.   

• Thumb down 1

Unless there is a sale of the team before the end of the year. HC turnover is unlikely for 2023. More likely he loses all front office say. New ownership guts the front office and brings in their people to start both auditing the on field and off field stuff over next year before going after a coach aligned with whatever that plan is. 

Probably the best and most pragmatic path for "fast" 

3 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Unless there is a sale of the team before the end of the year. HC turnover is unlikely for 2023. More likely he loses all front office say. New ownership guts the front office and brings in their people to start both auditing the on field and off field stuff over next year before going after a coach aligned with whatever that plan is. 

Probably the best and most pragmatic path for "fast" 

If you're gonna clean out the FO and bring in new people you might as well let them bring in who they want as coach right away. Why waste a year? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If you're gonna clean out the FO and bring in new people you might as well let them bring in who they want as coach right away. Why waste a year? 

Because if it's March and the people you want are with other teams getting ready for 2023, you might have a wait. Your front office might want time to evaluate the options too. 

Edited by @DCGoldPants

I usually try not to be to hard on people that do a job that I personally think I could not do myself. However, I think it won't be  hard for myself or the average football fan to have better clock management and challenges than Ron so I won't lament him leaving this offseason if he does.

31 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Say the ownership is approved mid March. I would assume once the team is sold; the new owner would have a Gm to take over once he’s approved. The Gm would fire the entire personnel staff.  Since free agency would probably have been going on for a week or two; the new Gm will run free agency and the draft.

Coukd they hire a new coach and fire Ron? Sure but who would you get then and you will still have to meet the Rooney rule. So, you will be stuck with Ron for 23 and you would bring in a new coach in 24. No evaluation. You move on from Ron in 24; regardless of the record.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Say the ownership is approved mid March. I would assume once the team is sold; the new owner would have a Gm to take over once he’s approved. The Gm would fire the entire personnel staff.  Since free agency would probably have been going on for a week or two; the new Gm will run free agency and the draft.

Coukd they hire a new coach and fire Ron? Sure but who would you get then and you will still have to meet the Rooney rule. So, you will be stuck with Ron for 23 and you would bring in a new coach in 24. No evaluation. You move on from Ron in 24; regardless of the record.

I doubt Ron would want to coach under those circumstances. He'd probably just resign.

• Like 1