Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

7 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

We're likely heading down a path where it's going to be someone no one has ever heard of or a known bad owner

It will be Bezos or some other mega billionaire. There were rumors Ballmer was interested. He could write a 6 billion dollar check without blinking too. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

It can be both. He’s barred from bidding until he’s given a chance to swoop in. That’s what I expect will happen. If it does it’s actually pretty impressive move by Dan. 

Either way it should mean the process is closer to being over than the doom and gloom over the Bezos news would have you believe. I was never stuck on Bezos so I’m not really ruffled. But then, I’m not interpreting Snyder’s potential pettiness towards Bezos as a sign that he won’t sell. 

8 minutes ago, Conn said:

Either way it should mean the process is closer to being over than the doom and gloom over the Bezos news would have you believe. I was never stuck on Bezos so I’m not really ruffled. But then, I’m not interpreting Snyder’s potential pettiness towards Bezos as a sign that he won’t sell. 

I agree. But it’s less complicated than the reports are making it. Dan wants to get the most money possible and that only happens if Bezos is genuinely believed by others to be out. Then he’s given an opportunity to beat the highest bidder and pay an fu Dan tax. That’s still the most likely scenario in my opinion. Regardless it should come to a conclusion fairly soon.

This is like a bonus season of entertainment dropping right before the new league year. it only happens once every decade or two so let’s enjoy it boys and girls! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

I think people are making stuff up.  This whole narrative that Dan is negotiating through the media is hysterical.  There are probably 4 people he needs to negotiate with. And they are all in contact with BofA.  Who can relay any message directly while covered by the NDA. 

I think all the reporting at this point is people throwing crap against the wall, and the sources are not in the know.

Also, it could be Dan just trying to get a few more jabs in while he still owns the team.  

Nothing business related is going to come out through the media.  

This is all a show.  For us.  Not for the sale process.  

Here is the likely conversion between BofA and Dan: 

BofA: Harris will give you $5.5 Billion. 
Dan: I hate Jeff because I hate the Washington post. Don’t let bid. 
BofA: Bezos will offer $6 Billion 

Dan: Ok. I’ll take his money but I won’t shake his hand and I’m leaving spoiled milk in the owners suit.

BofA: whatever.  

BofA on phone with Bezos’ people:  Its yours. Get the carpets in the owner suit professionally cleaned.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

This whole "Bezos is not allowed" seems like smoke and mirrors to cause a bidding war from the other smaller groups, driving up the price. Then when the final round of bids come, Dan will have a "change of heart" and will hear Bezos' offer.

Edited by CRobi21
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

BofA: Harris will give you $5.5 Billion. 
Dan: I hate Jeff because I hate the Washington post. Don’t let bid. 
BofA: Bezos will offer $6 Billion 

Dan: Ok. I’ll take his money but I won’t shake his hand and I’m leaving spoiled milk in the owners suit.

BofA: whatever.  

BofA on phone with Bezos’ people:  Its yours. Get the carpets in the owner suit professionally cleaned.  

Funny as that's exactly how I read those "Bezos has been barred from bidding".

These reports are coming right after Bezos hired someone to look into buying the Commanders.

So that really looks like a maneuver to rise the price of the team.

1 minute ago, CRobi21 said:

This whole "Bezos is not allowed" seems like smoke and mirrors to cause a bidding war from the other smaller groups, driving up the price. Then when the final round of bids come, Dan will have a "change of heart" and will hear Bezos' offer.

It wouldn’t shock me if Dan was the source behind the story, or through many layers of buffers. He’s just that petty.

In my opinion, of course.

• Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

He stepped down as the CEO of Amazon

greater than anything Bezos has as chairman of Amazon. 

He's still the owner though, right ?

Someone like Harris has far worse conflicts actually. Previously, the NFL did not allow owners to own teams in other sports. That’s the reason Jack Kent Cooke had to sell the Lakers to buy the Redskins.

But, that's not the case anymore.

Are there not other NFL owners that have ownership or partial ownership of other sports franchises ?

If it's not a problem for them, why would that be a problem for Harris ?

28 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

He's still the owner though, right ?

But, that's not the case anymore.

Are there not other NFL owners that have ownership or partial ownership of other sports franchises ?

If it's not a problem for them, why would that be a problem for Harris ?

It’s not a problem for any of them. I was simply pointing out that Bezos would not have the most conflicts. He is the chairman of Amazon. It’s a publicly traded company and he has more shares than any other entity but Jassy is now the CEO. 

Remember when Snyder said he would never change Redskins name. Well, we saw what happened there. I think the same thing is happening with Bezos. I'll never sell to Bezos. That is until Bezos offers the money Snyder wants.

Edited by RVAskins
  • Like 1

Someone like Harris has far worse conflicts actually. Previously, the NFL did not allow owners to own teams in other sports. That’s the reason Jack Kent Cooke had to sell the Lakers to buy the Redskins.

That rule was also tweaked back in 1997. Now, an NFL owner can own teams in other sports if those teams are in the same city as the NFL franchise they own or in a city where there is no NFL team.

2 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

That rule was also tweaked back in 1997. Now, an NFL owner can own teams in other sports if those teams are in the same city as the NFL franchise they own or in a city where there is no NFL team.

Then how could Harris own the Commanders the 6ers and Devils? That would violate the rule you laid out.

11 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Then how could Harris own the Commanders the 6ers and Devils? That would violate the rule you laid out.

Maybe because those teams are owned by his investment group. I imagine there are ways around these things. I'm just speculating. Perhaps ownership rules have become even more relaxed.

I see now that the rules were changed again. I guess the NFL realized it was making it harder for billionaires to own teams with those rules in place.

Edited by RVAskins

2 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

He stepped down as the CEO of Amazon a while ago. He would have zero problems getting voted in.

Someone like Harris has far worse conflicts actually. Previously, the NFL did not allow owners to own teams in other sports. That’s the reason Jack Kent Cooke had to sell the Lakers to buy the Redskins. The NBA basically owned Thursday nights for a while on TNT. When the NFL announced the full season TNF package, the NBA was livid and some of the owners including Mark Cuban went off on the NFL. When the inevitable Friday night NFL package comes out and there is no doubt it will with the Black Friday game on Amazon this year being the first trial balloon, the NBA and NHL will be very opposed to it. That puts Harris in a conflict greater than anything Bezos has as chairman of Amazon. 

The "Friday Night" package would be avery short one. The kaw prevents them from compating agasisnt college and HS football. I guess they could get the law changed. 

But to your point, Bezo's does not have any conflicts. I think asll this back and forth a media driven negatiation tactics. Just wish it would get done. 

11 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

The "Friday Night" package would be avery short one. The kaw prevents them from compating agasisnt college and HS football. I guess they could get the law changed. 

But to your point, Bezo's does not have any conflicts. I think asll this back and forth a media driven negatiation tactics. Just wish it would get done. 

That’s incorrect. The anti trust exception prevents them from broadcasting over the air against college. It does not apply to ESPN or other cable networks including NFL network. A 1/2season then full season Friday night package is inevitable. 

Also the college carve out is only saturdays from noon to 6pm from mid September to mid November. No other window is carved out and that window is for over the air, 

Edited by SoCalSkins

6 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

That’s incorrect. The anti trust exception prevents them from broadcasting over the air against college. It does not apply to ESPN or other cable networks including NFL network. A 1/2season then full season Friday night package is inevitable. 

Here is what it says for the Sorts Braodcasting Act of 1961 - there is nothing that says you can sell a package to network that violates the HS and Football blackout since it has to do with proximity. They could have limited Friday night package once HS football is done but not sure how without changingthe law they could gov a full season. 

But I am not an attorney. If you are then I will cede to your knowledge or if someone else is an attorney that can decifer the impacts of the Sprots Braodcasting Act of 1961. Maybe the wording allows a workaround i don't see. But it's not the way it reads to me. 

Overview[edit]

The Sports Broadcasting Act was passed in response to a court decision which ruled that the National Football League's method of negotiating television broadcasting rights violated antitrust laws.[2][3] The court ruled that the "pooling" of rights by all the teams to conclude an exclusive contract between the league and CBS was illegal.

The Act overrules that decision, and permits certain joint broadcasting agreements among the major professional sports. It recognizes the fact that the various franchises in a sports league, while competitors in the sporting sense, are not as much business competitors as they are interdependent partners, whose success as enterprises is intertwined, as a certain level of competitive balance between them must exist for any of them to remain viable enterprises. Therefore, it permits the sale of a television "package" to a network or networks in which the league members share equally, a procedure which is common today. Of the four major North American professional team sports, the Act is most pertinent to the NFL, as all of its regular-season and playoff games are broadcast via the rights assigned to the networks via national broadcast rights packages, as opposed to local team broadcast rights as found in the other leagues.

The law has been interpreted to include the so-called "blackout rules" which protect a home team from competing games broadcast into its home territory on a day when it is playing a game at home, and from being required to broadcast games within its home market area that have not sold out, though none of the leagues implement such rules any longer.

It also, in effect, protects high school football and college football game attendance by blacking out pro football games locally on Friday evenings and Saturdays during those sports' regular seasons; these measures effectively outlawed the broadcasting (and, in practice, the playing) of NFL games on those days, since virtually all of the country is within 75 miles (120 km) of at least one high school game on every Friday night in September and October.

15 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Here is what it says for the Sorts Braodcasting Act of 1961 - there is nothing that says you can sell a package to network that violates the HS and Football blackout since it has to do with proximity. They could have limited Friday night package once HS football is done but not sure how without changingthe law they could gov a full season. 

But I am not an attorney. If you are then I will cede to your knowledge or if someone else is an attorney that can decifer the impacts of the Sprots Braodcasting Act of 1961. Maybe the wording allows a workaround i don't see. But it's not the way it reads to me. 

Overview[edit]

The Sports Broadcasting Act was passed in response to a court decision which ruled that the National Football League's method of negotiating television broadcasting rights violated antitrust laws.[2][3] The court ruled that the "pooling" of rights by all the teams to conclude an exclusive contract between the league and CBS was illegal.

The Act overrules that decision, and permits certain joint broadcasting agreements among the major professional sports. It recognizes the fact that the various franchises in a sports league, while competitors in the sporting sense, are not as much business competitors as they are interdependent partners, whose success as enterprises is intertwined, as a certain level of competitive balance between them must exist for any of them to remain viable enterprises. Therefore, it permits the sale of a television "package" to a network or networks in which the league members share equally, a procedure which is common today. Of the four major North American professional team sports, the Act is most pertinent to the NFL, as all of its regular-season and playoff games are broadcast via the rights assigned to the networks via national broadcast rights packages, as opposed to local team broadcast rights as found in the other leagues.

The law has been interpreted to include the so-called "blackout rules" which protect a home team from competing games broadcast into its home territory on a day when it is playing a game at home, and from being required to broadcast games within its home market area that have not sold out, though none of the leagues implement such rules any longer.

It also, in effect, protects high school football and college football game attendance by blacking out pro football games locally on Friday evenings and Saturdays during those sports' regular seasons; these measures effectively outlawed the broadcasting (and, in practice, the playing) of NFL games on those days, since virtually all of the country is within 75 miles (120 km) of at least one high school game on every Friday night in September and October.

Again that’s over the air. Has nothing to do with broadcasting on cable. There is too much money involved. College football will expand too. With the expanded college playoffs coming up, there will be clashes in the same window on Saturdays in December. It’s basically the NFL and college football as kings. Everything else gets the table scraps. A Friday night package is inevitable.

And if for a minute you actually think the house and senate would repeal the exemption and a President would sign it you are out of touch with reality. If the NFL did not negotiate as a pool, all the small market teams would be toast. Only LA, NYC, Washington, Dallas and a few others would compete. Green Bay, Jacksonville, Buffalo and KC could never compete. The salary cap would have to be adjusted as well. The NFL is America’s religion. No politician would dare ruin it. It’s just not possible.