Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd think the new owner should be dying to milk this forum, maybe except for the Heinicke Hive?  :D

A team with maybe less fans than any other in the NFL right now -- and here we got a forum with not just Commanders fans but hardcore ones.  We are sort of the Last of the Mohicans.  

We are sort of like the last run of cell phone customers that still use a Motorola or Nokia cell phone.   We are so unique they should put us in some lab football study.

Wife and I still have a landline on the kitchen wall. Don't think its rung in 2 years. 

Damn Im pathetic.

Good point.  

Do we put an ad in the back page of the classified section of the Post? Do they still have those?

Edited by Chris 44

I'd think the new owner should be dying to milk this forum, maybe except for the Heinicke Hive?  :D

A team with maybe less fans than any other in the NFL right now -- and here we got a forum with not just Commanders fans but hardcore ones.  We are sort of the Last of the Mohicans.  

We are sort of like the last run of cell phone customers that still use a Motorola or Nokia cell phone.   We are so unique they should put us in some lab football study.

Not just here but there are other fan boards that are just as active. I’ve seen a umber of cross post here from other spots.

13 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I wonder about that in myself. I was a red-faced, yell at the TV, can't sleep after losses type. I am that way with the Nationals, at times. Will I get some of that back with new owners? I really don't know. I want to find out though!

Yeah, I really can't see it honestly. Those things are hard to reignite. The passion that I had was a unique ****tail of nostalgia, success associated with great memories from my youth, an attachment to an era that no longer exists, etc. I just don't know how a "new" team or new connection can possibly match that. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Yeah, I really can't see it honestly. Those things are hard to reignite. The passion that I had was a unique ****tail of nostalgia, success associated with great memories from my youth, an attachment to an era that no longer exists, etc. I just don't know how a "new" team or new connection can possibly match that. 

It probably can’t. Not 100% anyway. We’ve all aged 25 years since those days. But if we can start winning, earn some respect, and get our dignity back as a franchise, that will go a long way. A couple of playoff wins and we might actually start feeling a taste of the old passion. Will seem like heaven compared to what we’ve been through. What we had a generation ago sadly is gone, but hopefully in time it can be replicated for the younger crowd. #****snyder

• Like 1

1 minute ago, woodpecker said:

It probably can’t. Not 100% anyway. We’ve all aged 25 years since those days. But if we can start winning, earn some respect, and get our dignity back as a franchise, that will go a long way. A couple of playoff wins and we might actually start feeling a taste of the old passion. Will seem like heaven compared to what we’ve been through. What we had a generation ago sadly is gone, but hopefully in time it can be replicated for the younger crowd. #****snyder

Yeah, I think that's what the next owner needs to hope for, which is why Sheehan's statement makes some sense...this is a forward-looking operation. Honestly, that's what Jason Wright and Dan Snyder should have been doing with the rebrand anyway (not that I was rooting for Snyder to succeed...but if I was). The old-timers were gone or going. Focus 100% of your attention and energy on new and younger fans. If the colors needed to change, change the colors. If the song needed to change, change the song. If the name needed to be something way less safe, make it bolder. 

The mistakes they made weren't that they abandoned the past too much, it's that they tried too much to straddle the fence. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I feel you--the damage Snyder has done to this franchise goes well beyond financial, measurable metrics.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Yeah, I think that's what the next owner needs to hope for, which is why Sheehan's statement makes some sense...this is a forward-looking operation. Honestly, that's what Jason Wright and Dan Snyder should have been doing with the rebrand anyway (not that I was rooting for Snyder to succeed...but if I was). The old-timers were gone or going. Focus 100% of your attention and energy on new and younger fans. If the colors needed to change, change the colors. If the song needed to change, change the song. If the name needed to be something way less safe, make it bolder. 

The mistakes they made weren't that they abandoned the past too much, it's that they tried too much to straddle the fence. 

Well said. Straddle the fence is exactly what they tried to do. And it made the situation even more awkward than it already was. Maybe they felt they didn’t have a choice, because the old school fans were kind of all they had left and couldn’t afford to just let them go. So they tried to please everybody, and ended up pleasing nobody. Problem is, what the old-school fans really want is to win again. And winning again requires getting rid of Snyder, which wasn’t really an option at the time. I can’t speak for others, but for me if we become a respected winning franchise again I’m pretty sure I won’t give a crap about any of the name or rebranding stuff.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Are most 40-60 year old fans as passionate as a kid for whom a 30 year old QB is as distant as a god on Olympus? I used to think this was about how futile it seemed (especially under Gruden, for some reason) with this team but really, while there would be excitement I would never care about sports like I did when I used to do all sorts of weird things with stats and the results of a game seemed very important because your world was infused with magic and the hope of youth.  It's not that I'm cynical now (I am about the things relating to sports that need it), I still like the game of football but I think the rules changes have made it sort of...superficial in some sense to watch.

When a guy can suit up for you today and then for the most bitter rival tomorrow...like why care? "The laundry not the player" yeah but that's dumb.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

I can’t speak for others, but for me if we become a respected winning franchise again I’m pretty sure I won’t give a crap about any of the name or rebranding stuff.

It would certainly help...but I just don't think I could ever wash the stink of Snyder off any of the re-branded garbage we're currently stuck with. 

Personally, I refuse to utter the name Com**nders under any circumstances...I just say "Washington" when referring to the team. 

• Like 4

I’ll take it a step further than Sheehan. This is actually worse than an expansion situation. Not only do you need to invest heavily in building a stadium and basically everything else around the team but at least with an expansion team you generally have a ton of enthusiasm right out of the gate due to freshness of having a new team in your area. Speaking as someone who used to live and die on every game for the Redskins, I just don’t feel that same passion reigniting coming back even when Dan sells. I still want to see him gone as it’s the closest we’ll likely get to seeing him get his comeuppance. But being a die hard fan is generally something ingrained in childhood as it’s really not rational for us as adults to kindle that kind of passion for something like a sports team, especially once it’s seeped into apathy or worse. The godawful rebrand certainly doesn’t help the cause either. Is anybody really passionate about rooting for the Commanders? Especially after watching the Chiefs tomahawk their way to a SB win. I’d imagine this is something that prospective buyers are aware of as well, especially somebody like Harris who is well versed in sports ownership. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

Wife and I still have a landline on the kitchen wall. Don't think its rung in 2 years. 

Damn Im pathetic.

Do we put an ad in the back page of the classified section of the Post? Do they still have those?

My parents still have their landline and still use it; even though they both have cell phones. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

The fans that remember the glory years are old and will start dying off.

This team has to get a new generation of fans, if the new owner is to succeed. If they don’t, then this team will relocate in the future.

5 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

My parents still have their landline and still use it; even though they both have cell phones. 

This team has to get a new generation of fans, if the new owner is to succeed. If they don’t, then this team will relocate in the future.

Major Tuddy was supposed to fix that...right? 😆

• Haha 1

Look at the most successful teams since Dan bought the team,

They are consistent winners and if they have down years, it’s short term.

Build a consistent winning team, is the only way to succeed.

Those young fans need what we experienced under Gibbs.  They need their own memories of greatness.

• Like 2

I guess it does not hurt to put yourself in the running for multiple franchises at the same time.

You already have your finances in order to make a big purchase, and you can bail on one if you get granted the other franchise.

Unless you see it as an indication that they will not be awarded the Washington franchise, or they plan to withdraw their bid, I don't think bidding on another one is very impactful to our situation.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Look at the most successful teams since Dan bought the team,

They are consistent winners and if they have down years, it’s short term.

Build a consistent winning team, is the only way to succeed.

Those young fans need what we experienced under Gibbs.  They need their own memories of greatness.

What you basically just said was “look at the most successful teams since Dan bought the team, they are the teams that were most successful”. Pretty self-evident. And yet there are plenty of mediocre teams with great fanbases. 

It doesn’t take a Gibbs-like run or anything close to it to build up a fan base. A nice stadium, good gameday experience, and competitive team will bring us a long way under a new owner even if we don’t win Super Bowls. Not feeling embarrassed when someone asks who you root for goes a LONG way. 

Obviously the more successful they are, the easier it will be. So in that regard you’re right. But they don’t need to be elite year after year to be relevant and have fans. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

Keim just on this.

A.  Sometimes he feels like he knows how its going, sometimes not

B.  He does expect a sale

C. Other owners taking the tact of don't poke the bear

D.  Wonders if he doesn't get the price he wants whether he sells it but he doesn't know but his feeling is still that it will be sold

E.  Not sure if they have 24 votes to force a sale but thinks there is a better shot now that they would then a year ago

F.  He and Finlay both said they are getting a lot of crazy texts -- rumors about Dan.  I've heard another beat guy forgetting whom said the same.  I gather they aren't sure if they are true or not but whatever they are they are wild. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Conn said:

What you basically just said was “look at the most successful teams since Dan bought the team, they are the teams that were most successful”. Pretty self-evident. And yet there are plenty of mediocre teams with great fanbases. 

It doesn’t take a Gibbs-like run or anything close to it to build up a fan base. A nice stadium, good gameday experience, and competitive team will bring us a long way under a new owner even if we don’t win Super Bowls. Not feeling embarrassed when someone asks who you root for goes a LONG way. 

Obviously the more successful they are, the easier it will be. So in that regard you’re right. But they don’t need to be elite year after year to be relevant and have fans. 

Agree

The Giants and Jets, Denver among others have had a bed stretch for a long time, yet are among tops among league attendance.

That's Graziano below who used to cover the East and is a national reporter for the ESPN.  He sums it up well.  This isn't just a losing organization but the ultimate sleazy "uncool" team to root for.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/35657821/derek-carr-best-fits-free-agency-nfl-teams-quarterback-needs-salary-cap-space

And I don't know... maybe things will change if the team gets sold, but there's something about this franchise. It just seems like bad stuff is always going on around there. Just kind of a high "ick" factor to the place, right? Not sure a ton of guys are dying to go play there.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim just on this.

A.  Sometimes he feels like he knows how its going, sometimes not

B.  He does expect a sale

C. Other owners taking the tact of don't poke the bear

D.  Wonders if he doesn't get the price he wants whether he sells it but he doesn't know but his feeling is still that it will be sold

E.  Not sure if they have 24 votes to force a sale but thinks there is a better shot now that they would then a year ago

F.  He and Finlay both said they are getting a lot of crazy texts -- rumors about Dan.  I've heard another beat guy forgetting whom said the same.  I gather they aren't sure if they are true or not but whatever they are they are wild. 

One would think that each day that goes by Snyder is losing money and he will eventually have to sell.  Better sooner than later, I would think.  Cha Ching.  

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Dying off?? Well crap I’m 53, I thought I had plenty of time (despite my heavy drinking)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

Dying off?? Well crap I’m 53, I thought I had plenty of time (despite my heavy drinking)

Maybe in a few years Faithful Fans will be on some kind of Discovery Channel documentary..."We see now a rare Skins Fan searching for throwback gear in a store! Oh no, he's seen us! Get to the jeep! Maybe we can get a radio collar fixed to him."

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

doubt Charles at your own peril ... this is big news man. he's talking about owner sentiments. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No details here??? 

• Like 1