Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washington at Indy ~ Jim Irsay The People's Champ Edition

TK
Message added by TK,

1638968134_ScreenShot2022-10-30at7_15_40PM.thumb.png.beb0abb1113fde9d33d365ef2e549a12.png

16 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Laugh all you want. Watched the Eagles game and the plays were different circumstances. Brown won the catches based on height and position. Mclaruin did a great job of catching an under pressure underthrown ball. That's why he got paid. 

I know. The 3 Brown TDs were designed plays that took advantage of Browns abilities. The TMac catch was pure Terry magic and a crap throw on a desperation play. 

• Like 1

I do kind of find it amusing that the throw to Terry has somehow gone from "amazing catch on a ball that easily could have been intercepted" (which even most TH fans have admitted so far) to "sure fire TD to a wide open receiver"

:ols:

Edited by mistertim
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So that was very very far from being even close to a "sure TD" in this situation. And this situation is the one we're talking about.

Take out the DB from the equation and then ask could it have been a sure TD. Oh wait. Yes it would have been. The only thing the DB added was preventing a sure TD which we got anyway on the next play. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, zCommander said:

Take out the DB from the equation and then ask could it have been a sure TD. Oh wait. Yes it would have been. The only thing the DB added was preventing a sure TD which we got anyway on the next play. 

So the only thing the DB added was...being a DB who plays DB and doing his job? The DB practically had a hand-me INT which Terry went up and took away. You're making it sound like the DB made some incredible play on the ball. It was floating in and all he had to do was catch it, but Terry stopped that from happening with an amazing play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t believe that you really believe that.

Show me 10 INts where a DB jumps over a WR for a 50/50 ball. Not saying it doesn’t happen, but it’s a play of the year type play when a DB does it in that kind of situation. Turn around, locate the ball, time your jump, and make the catch is a struggle for a solid amount WRs in the league. 

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

For a QB with an NFL arm, you might have a point (though it would still be somewhat risky since it was after the play mostly broke down) but with Heinicke that basically goes out the window because even when planted he would have trouble with that throw, but in this situation he couldn't even get his body into it so it was very underthrown.

So that was very very far from being even close to a "sure TD" in this situation. And this situation is the one we're talking about.

image.thumb.png.a969adf61366e39f26e4f172f7c1b893.png

That's not a "hail mary"...

Heinicke made a throw to McLaurin last week almost the exact same distance--while Terry had insanely tight coverage--and placed it on a dime. How hard is it really to imagine that he felt he could do it again when the nearest defender to McLaurin is 4 yards away? And doubt Rivera or any coach would be screaming "NO! YOUR ARM IS TOO WEAK!" lol...and that's pretty much what it was: the right read, the right throw, and the right decision...but his arm is too week to consistently make that "dime" throw from one game to the next. Then again, with the distance between TM and the defender maybe Heinicke felt he had some leeway...I mean, c'mon, it's Terry he's throwing to.

By the way, he also made a similar throw at a similar distance to McKissick against the Panthers in 2020 for a TD (except McKissick had tighter coverage when he threw it as well).

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I do kind of find it amusing that the throw to Terry has somehow gone from "amazing catch on a ball that easily could have been intercepted" (which even most TH fans have admitted so far) to "sure fire TD to a wide open receiver"

:ols:

I find it amusing the lengths you’ll go to act like it’s the worst throw ever. He gave the best player on the team a chance to make a big play and he made it. That’s all.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

2 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

What is all the vitriol on the pass to McL?

This is why

Terry was WIDE OPEN today but he gets another potential murder ball b/c TH is unable to put the pass in a good spot.

If Terry isn't a contested catch God that is not a completion or worse.

It could also have very easily been a significant injury to a major player.

All on a play where he was wide open.

This was not a QB giving his guy a shot in 1on1 coverage and throwing up a 50/50 ball

This is a QB turning a walk in TD into a jump ball b/c of a horrendous throw/inability to physically get the ball where it should have been.

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Show me 10 INts where a DB jumps over a WR for a 50/50 ball. Not saying it doesn’t happen, but it’s a play of the year type play when a DB does it in that kind of situation. Turn around, locate the ball, time your jump, and make the catch is a struggle for a solid amount WRs in the league. 

I mean... what more do you need to see?

Catch.thumb.jpg.4b5023ac490a27fba84bf57db997f16a.jpg

• Like 1

i don't understand the problem. i thought the mantra was, if your #1 has a 1 on 1 and an opening, you throw it to them to let your playmakers make the play? you guys are getting too nitpicky and, as the post above showed in the picture, it was the right adjustment and throw. a little under thrown, sure...but it was the right throw and not a hail mary.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

image.thumb.png.a969adf61366e39f26e4f172f7c1b893.png

That's not a "hail mary"...

Heinicke made a throw to McLaurin last week almost the exact same distance--while Terry had insanely tight coverage--and placed it on a dime. How hard is it really to imagine that he felt he could do it again when the nearest defender to McLaurin is 4 yards away? And doubt Rivera or any coach would be screaming "NO! YOUR ARM IS TOO WEAK!" lol...and that's pretty much what it was: the right read, the right throw, and the right decision...but his arm is too week to consistently make that "dime" throw from one game to the next. Then again, with the distance between TM and the defender maybe Heinicke felt he had some leeway...I mean, c'mon, it's Terry he's throwing to.

By the way, he also made a similar throw at a similar distance to McKissick against the Panthers in 2020 for a TD (except McKissick had tighter coverage when he threw it as well).

Again, for a QB with an NFL arm that could be the right decision. If it was Aaron Rodgers or Mahomes or someone I'd say absolutely, throw that pass all day long because you know they have the talent and are going to put it where it needs to be.

With Heinicke that goes from an easy TD to a toss up that could easily have been intercepted. Which is why it was a dumb decision in this situation. Which is exactly what everyone would be saying if he hadn't gotten lucky and been bailed out by Terry.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Just go back and watch the play, it’s on here several times.  An average throw and the DB doesn’t even have a chance.  It was the throw that made it a 50/50 ball that it didn’t need to be.

I’m not even sure how it’s debatable that it was a risky throw (for him) at that juncture.  My gut reaction was that it was picked off only to see Terry emerge with the ball because he made a monster play.

I give credit to Heinicke for keeping plays alive to get to that point but that throw is the type to make it all for naught.

1 minute ago, Vilandil Tasardur said:

Y'all are crazy. Both things can be true:

+ The WR beat his man by several steps and was wide open

+ The QB under three the ball by at least 5 yards and it should have been intercepted. 

Number 2 doesn't render number 1 false folks. 

I beg to differ kind sir. We are not crazy we are EXTREME!! lol

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Again, for a QB with an NFL arm that could be the right decision. If it was Aaron Rodgers or Mahomes or someone I'd say absolutely, throw that pass all day long because you know they have the talent and are going to put it where it needs to be.

With Heinicke that goes from an easy TD to a toss up that could easily have been intercepted. Which is why it was a dumb decision in this situation. Which is exactly what everyone would be saying if he hadn't gotten lucky and been bailed out by Terry.

Is your argument "Heinicke should have known not to trust his arm even if the absolute best WR on the team is wide open for a TD and even if he's made that same throw multiple times for TDs"--and that every coach in the NFL would say the same?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Could you just imagine how many points we could score if we could just play without defenders? 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Just go back and watch the play, it’s on here several times.  An average throw and the DB doesn’t even have a chance.  It was the throw that made it a 50/50 ball that it didn’t need to be.

I’m not even sure how it’s debatable that it was a risky throw (for him) at that juncture.  My gut reaction was that it was picked off only to see Terry emerge with the ball because he made a monster play.

I give credit to Heinicke for keeping plays alive to get to that point but that throw is the type to make it all for naught.

Ya man, we view that kind play differently. I’m going for that type play in “life (lol)”and good with it from Heineke in that situation. It was single coverage from a DB recovering—advantage WR. I assume Heineke thought it would be incomplete or PI, then move on to next play. Much different if a safety was coming over the top, then the DB would have an advantage.

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MIB__KEVIN said:

This is a big statement I know. But #17 might end up being the best playmaker in Skins History!

Not yet....Monk, Green.....lots of dudes way ahead of him.

36 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I know. The 3 Brown TDs were designed plays that took advantage of Browns abilities. The TMac catch was pure Terry magic and a crap throw on a desperation play. 

Can we compromise on a 50/50 ball?

5 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Is your argument "Heinicke should have known not to trust his arm even if the absolute best WR on the team is wide open for a TD and even if he's made that same throw multiple times for TDs"--and that every coach in the NFL would say the same?

I have no doubt Heinicke trusts his arm. He clearly does, probably to a fault.

But I'm also pretty sure that, given the situation (down, distance, time on the clock, field position, etc), and the fact that Heinicke's weak arm turns a throw like that from a TD pass to a floating jump ball that could easily be intercepted and end the game, a coach would definitely want his QB to throw it away and use the remaining 3 downs to try to get the TD.

• Like 1