Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Rivera pull a Brad Stevens???

Renegade7

Should Rivera stop coaching and be head of football operations over GM and HC???  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should Rivera stop coaching and be head of football operations over GM and HC???

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • It's what we shoulda done with Gibbs instead of letting him return as HC....

I have a lot of respect for Rivera going through cancer, the name change, and COVID all at the same time and still squeezing us into the playoffs his first season here.

But it's clear he didn't win a super bowl in Carolina for a reason.  The case can be made now he won't win here, either.

Here's the problem...if he's let go, then Dan or Tanya (the bammas that picked him in the first place) gets to pick his replacement.  It's even more clear they know less of what they are doing then he does.

Not only that but odds of Snyder giving anyone that kinda power (let alone the very next HC) to any one again is slim to none.  And worse, his pattern of coaching hires is quite literally "repectable", "in over their head", "respectable, "in over their head"...so what do you think is coming after Rivera?

SmartSelect_20220925_185244_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5582503b4641d5f8162c92a818572c3f.jpg

Im not convinced Snyder will be forced to sell, but if there is a chance between here and time Rivera's contract expires...FFS we might as well ride it out with him to give the new owner a chance to restructure as they see fit.  A new coach without someone of Rivera's respectability involved in the process almost 100% will be worse then what we are seeing right now given Snyder's track record.

So back to Ron...I propose he gives up head coaching duties after this season is over, staying over the GM he hired as a clarifed role of Head of Football Operations and let that GM hire the new coach. Rivera is jus doing too much, man. I'm convinced this wouldn't look as bad as it does if wasn't trying to save this franchise by himself via final say over front office and as Head Coach.  Giving him the chance was only way to get him to sign, but time to accept its just not possible for one person to do.

This will be better for his health long-term and despite NFL passing him by from Xs and Os perspective he is still highly respected around the NFL, thus can act as a buffer between the organization and Snyder until the new owner is picked (for however long that may be).  Almost no doubt a new owner would replace Rivera, but this new role seems like a compromise over a retread HC or possible Zorn/Jay type that would be a million times worse then what we have right now(don't think it's not possible).

TL;DR - if Rivera is fired, his replacement will be worse, no one with any kinda respect will want to walk into this dumpster fire with the owner under investigation and possibly forced to sell.

PS: we shoulda asked Gibbs to do this back in 2004 instead of being HC, he might still be here...

Reference to what Brad Stevens did, yea, the Eastern Confernence finalist and representative in the NBA Finals last year the year he made the change...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/celtics-brad-stevens-leaves-coaching-to-replace-retiring-danny-ainge-as-head-of-basketball-operations/amp/

Edited by Renegade7

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I'd rather just wipe the slate clean and hire a brand new GM and let him hire the new coach. 

Like a Bruce Allen??? 😒

I want to agree with you, but what we want...what we should be doing...Snyder won't do it.

That's the problem...

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Like a Bruce Allen??? 😒

I want to agree with you, but what we want...what we should be doing...Snyder won't do it.

That's the problem...

Of course you have to pick the right guy. I'd look for a young up and comer that was a top lieutenant on a consistent winning team, like how the Giants hired Joe Schoen who was Brandon Beane's #2 in Buffalo. 

I remember we were rumored to be interested in someone from the Titans FO. Someone like that. Take a chance.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Of course you have to pick the right guy. I'd look for a young up and comer that was a top lieutenant on a consistent winning team, like how the Giants hired Joe Schoen who was Brandon Beane's #2 in Buffalo. 

I remember we were rumored to be interested in someone from the Titans FO. Someone like that. Take a chance.

That's the thing that's killing me about this conversation, they won't do that. We've been waiting 20+ years to do that, and they jus won't...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

The guy who's always been a good Coach and never a personnel man, who's assembled a really mediocre roster in three years with no sign he has any acumen as a GM?

I do not care if he's not the person actually picking the players versus letting the GM do it.

I will go on record saying this is not the best of ideas.

The main point being my overwhelming concern of no one nearly as respected as Rivera coming after him.  Should we show him the door if that's the case or give him a different role?

It jus sounds too easy to jus do what everyone else that'd been successful in this league has been doing, but we don't, so now what?

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Well if you already know that then the discussion is moot.

Not trying to force the conversation, I'm aring out my overwhelming concerns about the Fire Rivera talk.  Folks need to be careful what they wish for with this franchise...

I'm curious who we are looking at, but are you buying we actually do the right thing this time?  Are buying that even if we do that young and up and comer will sign here?

Of the options that make sense, how many if those options would put up with Snyder's **** the way Rivera does?  Genuine concern here...

I’m not sure it really matters anymore.   

I think Ron shows signs of not having what it takes to be the HC.  Good dude and is obviously helping with the culture of this pathetic organization but at some point wins matter.   He isn’t going to bring anything beyond mediocrity at best.   

Id say finish out the year.  Then reboot for the 20th time in 3 decades.  Roll the dice with someone else.   Maybe Dan will get lucky and find the next great coach but more than likely Dan will continue to ruin this franchise.  Though I’m not sure that’s still possible.  Beyond 0-17 what else is there?   Fed Ex is the worst stadium with the worst game experience.   They are already a joke.  The fan base is gone and fewer and fewer new fans are being generated… what else could he even do.  

at this point who cares..   whatever.   I really hate the new name and everything that comes along with it.  Makes indifference so much easier 

Edited by Idaho fan
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

No.

We already know the Dan hiring cycle.

When he gives power one cycle, he takes it back the next cycle.

So, when Ron’s tenure ends after this season or next season, Dan will do this:

He will first find his new Vinny/ Bruce. I said Martin is a prime choice due to him being a former Redskin.

Dan and his puppet GM will then interview a candidate or two and then hire them.

The Gm will be the public face but Dan behind the scenes will be the real trigger.

The next coach is either a desperate retread or a Jim Zorn type.  Either way; this coach will fail and have a 2-3 year tenure max.

The next coach after that; Dan will give up control again but thus time he will have to pay an nfl record salary to get anyone.

Rinse and repeat, over and over again.

If the fever dream of Dan being forced to sell happens one day; it won’t be some short and quick process. It will be a protracted 2-3 year fight that will outlast the Ron era. 

Ron just needs to retire. He’s not in tune with the modern nfl and is clueless in building anything.

This team may have some pieces to be good but Ron isn’t capable of building a complete unit and we are actually worse in some areas.

I am also thinking players are just starting to tune him out; knowing he’s clueless. More so on defense but even the offense will tune him out.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Like 3

On 9/26/2022 at 1:13 AM, Warhead36 said:

I'd rather just wipe the slate clean and relocate the team to London then give DC an expansion team to Bezos.

Fixed it for ya.

All in all, that's the easiest and fastest solution.

But for the OP. I'd say no, everyone can appreciate RR as a GM and not really adressing the LB position for 3 full year. With his past as a LB when he played, and a good one, I used to think he should be able to note a good LB just by watching walk down the line.

Obviously he doesn't know how to do that, so no.

And honestly, he doesn't seem interested that much in this franchise anymore really...

I said "no".

Question: what has Ron done to give anyone a shred of confidence that he can be effective in Football Operations?

We've been passed by the Eagles with a first time head coach, passed by Dallas, and now the Giants look better (and certainly play smarter and harder) than us.  

Ron's criminally neglected true, quality young depth on the O line, left us razor thin in an average at best secondary, totally botched the LB position and all but abandoned it.  And he's assembled a FO full of people who never accomplished much of merit in their previous stops.  They're good people, but at some point TALENT needs to have a major place in our FO.  We don't have it.

When Ron leaves, I don't want him back in any capacity.

• Thumb up 1

lmao no

what they did in boston was an exception. fine, arians retired and became an assistant. i'd be surprised if rivera did that. I mean the guy's not a quitter

If Rivera stepped down and let Del Rio or Scott Turner become coach that would seriously be a nightmare