Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

😀😀 Ron fired days ago. Mission Accomplished.😀😄

88Comrade2000

Just now, HigSkin said:

I didn't hear it but The Junkies just mentioned on Monday Night Countdown Fowler asked about Commanders that look to that bye week (14) for coaching changes.

Anybody actually hear what was said?

Could just be speculation. The only thing that would surprise me more is if Rivera was kept on next year.

8 hours ago, TheItalianStallion said:

There's no upside to firing anyone now

To me, the thing firing Ron does is show that poor performance, and generally having your head up your ass, simply has consequences...that nobody on the team is insulated from losing their spot if they can't do their job.

I feel like it's insulting to the guys who, as Gibbs would say, "play their guts out" to have a schlub like a half-checked-out Ron just la-di-da-ing his way through the rest of the season.

Seems like an opportunity for Harris to set the tone as far as team culture is concerned could be more important than hoping Ron sucks bad enough to move us up 2 or 3 draft spots. 

Edited by formerly4skins

55 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

He did change the culture and deserves all the recognition he has received...or he points out.

That culture however is tunring against him do to many poor personnel and coaching decisions along with the way he has given up through this off season and especially the last 5 or 6 weeks. 

Yeah, I’d like to give him credit for a “culture change“, but I just don’t see it. It’s been all talk. The culture (losing) on the field is virtually unchanged from when he took over. No magic words from Ron were ever going to change that, only winning fixes it. You could argue an improved culture on the front office/business side I suppose, but that has everything to do with Snyder being gone, and nothing to do with Ron showing up. Ron’s charge was to fix the losing culture on the field, and the results are it hasn’t happened

Steelers just fired Matt Canada.  He’s been one of the most scrutinized coaches in the league, for how terrible the Steeler’s O has performed.  If the Steelers who NEVER fire coaches in season in their history do it, there’s no reason why we can’t either.  This might be the first time since the 1960’s that the Steelers have fired a coach in season.  That’s incredible when you think about it.  NO REASON whatsoever to not can Del Rio and/or Rivera after Friday, especially when we’re looking at a beat down of epic proportions on Thanksgiving @Dallas.

I just checked, and it says that the last time a Steelers coach (head coach or assistant) was fired in season was 1968.  55 years since it happened.  That’s absolutely incredible.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Steelers just fired Matt Canada.  He’s been one of the most scrutinized coaches in the league, for how terrible the Steeler’s O has performed.  If the Steelers who NEVER fire coaches in season in their history do it, there’s no reason why we can’t either.  This might be the first time since the 1960’s that the Steelers have fired a coach in season.  That’s incredible when you think about it.  NO REASON whatsoever to not can Del Rio and/or Rivera after Friday, especially when we’re looking at a beat down of epic proportions on Thanksgiving @Dallas.

I just checked, and it says that the last time a Steelers coach (head coach or assistant) was fired in season was 1968.  55 years since it happened.  That’s absolutely incredible.

I was coming to joke "The Steelers just fired a coordinator. Do the Commanders know that's allowed?"

Just now, @DCGoldPants said:

I was coming to joke "The Steelers just fired a coordinator. Do the Commanders know that's allowed?"

LOL, right??  The freaking STEELERS, who never fire coaches in our lifetimes just did the impossible.  What’s our friggin excuse??  Harris HAS to can somebody (hopefully everybody not named EB) on Friday morning.  We can’t continue to have Paddleboat Ron & Clueless Hack employed by this team after our extermination at the hands of Dallas on Thanksgiving.

2 minutes ago, samy316 said:

LOL, right??  The freaking STEELERS, who never fire coaches in our lifetimes just did the impossible.  What’s our friggin excuse??  Harris HAS to can somebody (hopefully everybody not named EB) on Friday morning.  We can’t continue to have Paddleboat Ron & Clueless Hack employed by this team after our extermination at the hands of Dallas on Thanksgiving.

It's generally a top notch org. They don't do stuff on a whim. Also, Tomlin is in a different world than Ron. He's making decisions to fix things. Ron is "we'll see what happens". Also, ron know if he fired Jack, then he'd be expected to call the Defense and I bet he knows he can't do it anymore. 

2 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Steelers are 6-4 and contending for a playoff spot and one of the most respected organizations in the league. We are a disaster with a new owner. Apples and orangutans comparison.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Steelers are 6-4 and contending for a playoff spot and one of the most respected organizations in the league. We are a disaster with a new owner. Apples and orangutans comparison.

Exactly.  The Steelers still have positive aspirations for this season.  This team will actually lose by getting rid of the clown show right now because they might win some meaningless games and actually screw the next regime with a lower draft pick.

• Like 3

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

Yes, the Steelers record probably has something to do with why they made the incredibly rare move to fire a coach in season, but I still think that a team like the Steelers making this move should be eye opening to everyone league wide.  Since it’s such a rare occurrence, I can’t buy into the “keep Ron and the coaching staff until the end of the season” thought process.  This abomination can’t continue to happen.  We need to set the standard to the players and the staff that this kind of football is unacceptable. There ought to be consequences for this disastrous season.

I understand both sides.

Josh said he’d give Ron the year, and if he doesn’t - it welcomes scrutiny and a vibe that he’s not a man of his word.  There’s little to gain by firing him now, aside from satisfying those that want blood.  They can’t begin interviewing anyone currently with a job in the league at this time, so it doesn’t even provide a head start.  Ron made this mess, so why put him out of his misery and make him see this thing out.

On the other hand, I understand those that want blood and want to see Ron humiliated.  I also think that if this team gets blown out by the Cowboys on Thanksgiving, nobody would fault Josh for pulling the plug early.  

Ultimately, I have no idea what I would do if I was in Josh’s shoes.  

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

4 minutes ago, samy316 said:

We need to set the standard to the players and the staff that this kind of football is unacceptable. There ought to be consequences for this disastrous season.

Harris is setting the standard. Where the last owner was petty and vindictive, Harris can set the standard that he will deal with coaches and players professionally. The season is over, and there is nothing to do but either deal with it, or rage and throw people under the bus because it feels emotionally good to do it.

I sincerely hope our new owner sides with being professional. It would be such a dramatic change from Snyder.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Yes, the Steelers record probably has something to do with why they made the incredibly rare move to fire a coach in season, but I still think that a team like the Steelers making this move should be eye opening to everyone league wide.  Since it’s such a rare occurrence, I can’t buy into the “keep Ron and the coaching staff until the end of the season” thought process.  This abomination can’t continue to happen.  We need to set the standard to the players and the staff that this kind of football is unacceptable. There ought to be consequences for this disastrous season.

That kind of sounds like a moral victory.  We lost, but alt least the head coach is gone.  At this point, IMO, there is no reward except to ourselves that this regime is gone.  The benefit will come, but let's get draft pick first

Edited by NoVaSkins21
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, samy316 said:

There will be. January 8th. We gain nothing by firing coaches now.

1 minute ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

We lost, but alt least the head coach is gone.

It's punitive and vindictive, just like...you know...He Who Must Not Be Named.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

29 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Exactly. Mike Tomlin fired Matt Canada because they want to shake things up, with an eye toward making the playoffs.

We are nowhere near that situation. Whether we fire Ron and JDR now or later makes no difference at all to our season, our searches for GMs and Coaches or our future direction.

The only mandates for the rest of the season at this point are seeing what the younger players can do (Henry, Martin, Butler, Jones, etc), and keeping Sam Howell upright. Then cleaning house on Monday January 8.

Edited by Stoox
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, samy316 said:

About damn time. Tomlin has always been too stubborn to fire someone midseason, but when your RB is pointing out that the offense is too predictable then you have to do something.

Tomlin is like Rivera in that he doesn't see predictability as an issue and just keeps saying  "we just need to execute better."

But with the talent level between NFL teams being so thin, anything you can do to gain an advantage helps. Maybe Tomlin was starting to realize if he didn't can Canada then it may cost him his job.

Canada's first year as OC was Ben Roethlisbergers last year...and one of his worst. Pass plays take too long to develop...but why change your system when you just keep telling the world you have to execute better? 

But players can't execute better if they have no confidence in the system. Sounds like the defense under Dustup Del Rio.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen

20 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I cannot find anything on this, which is odd.  I’ve perceived it to be the same as coaches but nothing I can find online indicates that to be the case.

I think it is fair to say that Harris's team had already put together a tentative list of candidates to either BE the GM, or they have a list of consultants who can guide them on best practices of identifying and hiring one. 

I’m not sure there has been a louder call for a coordinators job in quite some time.  There have been chants at their stadium and even at Penguins games.  He’s gotten absolutely nothing out of Pickett.  They are in the midst of a playoff push and need some type of spark.

It really is apples to oranges.

2 minutes ago, Bantu said:

I think it is fair to say that Harris's team had already put together a tentative list of candidates to either BE the GM, or they have a list of consultants who can guide them on best practices of identifying and hiring one. 

I’m sure there is plenty going on behind the scenes, just curious on what they can actually do regarding executives currently employed by other teams.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Matt Canada stinks but that offense's problem is that Pickett and Harris both suck.

Pickett is abysmal.  My brother is a Steelers fan, so I've watched my fair share of Steelers games this year, and he absolutely blows.  His last game he went 15/28 for 108 yards.  He only has 2TD passes since October 1st.  That is putrid.

I am surprised by how ineffective Harris is as a runner.  I thought that he would tear the league up like Gibbs is currently doing for Detroit.  It's been a struggle for Harris, and now their backup running back Warren is looking better than Harris so far this year.

Edited by samy316

This was one of the first replies of the day, just talking about JDR's scheme. This is where I am. I see it so much now. Its not just that the scheme is complex. Its not just that JDR is a bad teacher, Maybe he is maybe he isn't, but 25 years of incompetence has led to a team of coaches where nobody in the NFL wants to come here. Its a hard nock lifs. 

This is the conversation I've been having on twitter (I think with elkabong82 and others who used to be (maybe still is) on here). But basically since there is nobody other than the Juan Castillo with experience running a defense, who can take over we are left in a vacuum. That's the Snyder culture we're talking about where nobody wanted to work here.

I also wonder if we have some good (possibly great) young coaches just starting out here but we need that veteran presence too. We can't have coaches freaking out too because its their first time coaching a blowout. I need to know you've been through the fire. 

(This was in reply to Lynnell Willingham) Look at the coaching page. Its not just a Ron problem. We have a coahcing problem. People didn't want to come here to this area unless it's to play a game. Not even to interview. EB will be a nice headline, but this problem is deep rooted and needs more time to fix. 

• Like 1