Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Metro: Chess world rocked by rumours of anal beads and artificial intelligence

Cooked Crack

Chess Player Insists He Didn't Use Sex Toy To Defeat World Champion

A teenage chess player who managed to beat a world champion last week is now denying his incredible win was the result of cheating with the help of a sex toy.

Nineteen-year-old Hans Niemann pulled off a major upset by defeating Norwegian grandmaster Magnus Carlsen, 31, at the Sinquefield Cup in St. Louis on Sept. 4, and the win has prompted some bizarre theories in the chess world.

A rumor circulating on social media — and unsupported by concrete evidence — suggests that Niemann was tapping into a computer program through a “prostate massager” or “wireless anal beads” that could secretly communicate winning moves to him.

Back in July, a techie named James Stanley explained how such technology might work embedded into shoe inserts that a player could wear undetected.

Niemann insisted that his win was legitimate and suggested he was willing to debunk the anal beads theory.

“If they want me to strip fully naked, I will do it. I don’t care. Because I know I am clean,” he said in an interview after his win. “You want me to play in a closed box with zero electronic transmission, I don’t care. I’m here to win and that is my goal regardless.”

Although Carlsen is rated the top player in the world by the International Chess Federation, he abruptly withdrew from the Sinquefield Cup after Niemann defeated him in the third round.

His only comment so far was to post a cryptic tweet of a 2020 speech by Portuguese soccer manager Jose Mourinho.

“I prefer not to speak,” Mourinho said. “If I speak, I am in big trouble … and I don’t want to be in big trouble.”

No one has proven that Niemann cheated at the Sinquefield Cup, but Slate noted that he was accused of cheating during prize-money matches on Chess.com and was banned from the site.

Click on the link for the full article

Magnus Carlsen resigns from match after one move as chess storm intensifies

World chess champion Magnus Carlsen stunningly withdrew Monday after making just one move in a match against a 19-year-old American, Hans Niemann. The episode added a new chapter to a storyline that has gripped the chess world and beyond, one that involves suggestions that Niemann cheated in a recent victory against the Norwegian grandmaster.

The two were playing an online match Monday in the Julius Baer Generation Cup, using the Chess24 platform via Microsoft Teams, when Carlsen’s webcam suddenly switched off while he was on the clock for his second move.

“What happened? That’s it?” exclaimed Peter Leko, a grandmaster who was providing analysis on the feed.

Chess commentator sacked after admitting to saying 'chess maybe not for women'

A chess commentator has been sacked for making sexist remarks during the coverage of a top women's tournament. 

During a live broadcast of the FIDE Women's Grand Prix event in Kazakhstan, the Belarusian-born Israeli grandmaster Ilya Smirin admitted to saying chess is "maybe not for women".

"I didn't say it openly," he told his co-commentator, Women's International Master Fiona Steil-Antoni.

"It was a private conversation."

Steil-Antoni responded by reminding him of an earlier remark in which he'd praised a woman for "playing like a man".

"Yeah, it's true," Smirin said.

Two-time US Women's Champion Jennifer Shahade said it was "gross to see such sexism in the broadcast for a women's event".

The International Chess Federation (FIDE) issued a statement on Wednesday night (AEST), describing the comments as "very embarrassing". 

"Although we have great respect for Grandmaster Ilya Smirin as a chess player, the views he expressed on air are completely unacceptable, offensive, and do not represent any of the values that FIDE stands for," it said.

"Therefore we unreservedly apologise to all those who were offended."

FIDE said Smirin had been stood down from his commentary duties with immediate effect.

I don't know if my step-brother way up there in the hills knows about this...but we were both in chess club in school.  (I learned extremely young, but never had the "chase" of it, just fun to play, taught him..something really cool to do when snowed in.) 

I've never read books on it or anything like some of you guys.  But DAMN, this just seems like the weirdest coup ever.  (Probably because I'm old and didn't know that "virtual chess" existed.   *shakes head violently*)

Sit 'em down, face to face.  See how he does then. 

23 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Sit 'em down, face to face.  See how he does then. 

I think you missed that part where they already did that, and that's when he was accused of cheating, possibly by using anal beads.

• Thumb up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Magnus Carlsen loses again, presumable without anal beads being involved:

Teenage chess prodigy Gukesh D beats world champion Magnus Carlsen

Indian chess prodigy Dommaraju Gukesh has become the youngest player to beat Magnus Carlsen since he became world champion a decade ago.

The 16-year-old – better known in chess circles as Gukesh D – beat the Norwegian grandmaster with the white pieces in round nine of the Aimchess Rapid tournament on Monday morning (AEDT).

Carlsen had been in a winning position, but resigned shortly after a blunder that handed his opponent a clear advantage.

"Obviously beating Magnus is always special, but I was not really very proud of that game," Gukesh said.

But the world champion said Gukesh had made the most of his chances.

"Perhaps this rapid win wasn't his proudest effort, even though getting a win is always nice," Carlsen said.

Gukesh D has long been earmarked as one of the rising stars of world chess.

In early 2019 he became the second-youngest grandmaster in history, at the age of just 12 years, seven months and 17 days.

I was watching a breakdown of why they think Niemann cheated, and it's actually pretty compelling. Basically his moves coincided with what high level chess AI programs (which are ridiculously good and basically unbeatable now) would do in that situation by a huge amount...almost perfectly IIRC, compared to other grandmasters who were closer to the 40-50% range. Which is almost impossible unless he's literally an AI or he has an IQ of 400.

• Thumb up 1