Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WJLA: Virginia restaurant receives backlash for insensitive 9/11 menu, issues apology

Cooked Crack

A manager at a Manassas, Va. country club apologized on Facebook Tuesday after receiving backlash on a 9/11 special menu that included a Remember-tini, Flight 93 Redirect and Pentagon Pie. 

The menu has since been taken down online, but not before some people captured the menu and posted it to a private community Facebook group. 

George White, a manager at The Clubhouse at Aquia Harbour, issued an apology on Facebook.      I apologize for those I offended with the 9/11 seafood Sunday post," the post stated.  

"My intention was to bring attention to that horrific day 21 years ago," White continued. "To honor those who lost so much as well as those who gave everything that day. We will have a new theme tomorrow."

https://wjla.com/news/local/911-attacks-september-11-menu-mannassas-virginia-restaurant-aquia-harbour-golf-clubhouse-backlash-insensitive-backlash-apology-issued-veterans-manassas-social-media

FcAxyAsWIAAIt7I?format=jpg&name=large

Me and the boys bout to get turnt up on some Remember-tinis.

• Haha 1

When things like this happen I always sort of chuckle at the internet response. 

“bad idea” and it getting taken down is never enough 

now they must be drug through the mud and boycotted etc. demand someone be fired. 

That said - always hard to tell when someone is profiteering vs just making an honest mistake (or being misunderstood)

see: chik fil a owner and free sandwiches for volunteering to help run the drive through logistical operation 

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

now they must be drug through the mud and boycotted etc. demand someone be fired. 

I think the main decision maker must be subjected to a press conference, identical to college football coaches after a big loss. If they can get through that without saying anything that disqualifies them from continued membership in the human race, then everyone can move on. 

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, tshile said:

When things like this happen I always sort of chuckle at the internet response. 

“bad idea” and it getting taken down is never enough 

That said - always hard to tell when someone is profiteering vs just making an honest mistake (or being misunderstood)

see: chik fil a owner and free sandwiches for volunteering to help run the drive through logistical operation 

In fairness, half of the Internet has been laughing at or mocking dumb mistakes made by others. 

1 hour ago, China said:

Does this mean my new Japanese restaurant shouldn't offer a happy hour special on Kamikazes on Dec. 7th?

I've had Americans ask me if I drank Irish Car Bombs on St Patrick's Day.

And when I tell them I have a much bigger drink, The Oklahoma Truck Bomb, they accuse ME of having bad taste. They brought up the ****ing subject.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Haha 5

40 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think the main decision maker must be subjected to a press conference, identical to college football coaches after a big loss. If they can get through that without saying anything that disqualifies them from continued membership in the human race, then everyone can move on. 

"Very disappointed. Feel we let everyone down. We followed the process but did get the outcomes everyone expects and deserves."

• Haha 1

I really just wanna know which group was offended. Cause....country club to me sounds like the type of place the 'stop cancel culture' friends would be. And they are the same people who think 9/11 was a hoax now right? Im confused, honestly. 

Also yall missing the real gem from the link 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I really just wanna know which group was offended. Cause....country club to me sounds like the type of place the 'stop cancel culture' friends would be. And they are the same people who think 9/11 was a hoax now right? Im confused, honestly. 

Also yall missing the real gem from the link 

I'm not sure why people are offended. Should there have been a choice of grape drink as well?

2 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

I'm not sure why people are offended. Should there have been a choice of grape drink as well?

Oh man I don't have the time lol. 

This was the whole thing for me though. The question was posed to me....how would i feel it Juneteenth was celebrated the same way the 4th of July and St. Patrick's Day were. And my answer was that black people were not ready for that **** lol. 

And we aint! America as a whole isn't. Did you read about those real-estate agents that threw the Juneteenth party? Foolishness. All foolishness and I approve of every bit of it. 

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Oh man I don't have the time lol. 

This was the whole thing for me though. The question was posed to me....how would i feel it Juneteenth was celebrated the same way the 4th of July and St. Patrick's Day were. And my answer was that black people were not ready for that **** lol. 

And we aint! America as a whole isn't. Did you read about those real-estate agents that threw the Juneteenth party? Foolishness. All foolishness and I approve of every bit of it. 

Hahaha America doesn’t do solemn holidays.  The options are eating, drinking, or appliance sales.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

Hahaha America doesn’t do solemn holidays.  The options are eating, drinking, or appliance sales.  

When we moved here from overseas and were looking to buy **** we asked Americans at a backyard BBQ which of their solemn holidays was best for a major purchase such as a new mattress, appliances, a car etc. Lengthy earnest debate ensured.

Edited by Corcaigh

34 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

"Very disappointed. Feel we let everyone down. We followed the process but did get the outcomes everyone expects and deserves."

"Not much else today.  It wasn't our day.  Gonna get back to work Monday, watch the film, and get back to work."

28 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Im confused, honestly. 

I still haven't regained my equilibrium from reading the first few words of the article in the OP.  "A Manassas, Va. country club."  

I'm just exhausted from people making stupid (yet harmless) decisions and then the outrage that entails.  Everyone can **** off.

@PleaseBlitzthis is where I'd call you an Arlington snob for looking down your nose at everyone who isn't a lawyer and doesn't dine at the French Laundry, but then I saw the actual menu and it looks like something from a Waffle House.  This "country club" is putting the "o" back in country, that's for damn sure.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I still haven't regained my equilibrium from reading the first few words of the article in the OP.  "A Manassas, Va. country club."  

Well they call it a country club in Manassas but it’s actually a dilapidated mini golf course with a broken-down food truck.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm just exhausted from people making stupid (yet harmless) decisions and then the outrage that entails.  Everyone can **** off.

Learn to enjoy the chaos baby! 

15 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I thought it was a joke at first lol