Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

No way Marky Mike makes the team.

3 hours ago, Conn said:

right he’s like 29. It’s cool he’s made some plays in camp but he’s not exactly a developmental guy. I think because he’s a no name people assume he’s young, or even a fresh UDFA. He isn’t, he’s been in the league since 2016 lol

Sometimes the 6th or 7th guy is an older guy. I've seen it happen, and happen here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Sometimes the 6th or 7th guy is an older guy. I've seen it happen, and happen here.

Milne or Erickson is making the team as a returner.  

QB - 3

RB - 3

OL -10

TE - 3

WR - 5

Returner - 1 (either Milne or Erickson, who have been sharing return duties during camp.)

WR locks: McLaurin, Dotson, Brown, Samuel. 

So all the rest of the guys are fighting for 1 spot.  Cam Sims is the betting favorite.

Depending on what happens at TE, they could keep 4 TEs and 5 receivers, one being the returner.  In which case none of those guys who are not locks make it.  

Personally, IF Howell could win the backup job cleanly, I’d cut TH, assume he would clear waivers and put him on the PS and keep another TE/WR.  I think the chances of that happening are akin to me riding in an elevator with Sinbad.  Wait, that happened.  (In like 1994… in a mall in VA.). So like that.  It COULD happen. But it’s highly unlikely. 

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Not sure if he s the best X's and O's guy, but chalk me up as a fan of his. With all the background BS surrounding this team, right man for the job at this particular moment.

I think at this point, he defers an enormous amount to his coordinators from a play-design perspective.  And I'm fine with that.  

But flip-side, I think he KNOWS football, I think he has a very good understanding of X's ad O's, and I think especially on the defensive side, he has a defensive philosophy.   And people like to say he's not creative, he was one of the first coaches to truly embrace the read-option and RPO with Cam.  The running game they had with those early Carolina teams was like nothing the NFL had seen.  The three groups which really embraced it early were Ron's Panther's teams, Mike and Kyle with Griffin, and Carrol and company in Seattle.  

It shows he is very open to new things.  Did he come up with it?  I doubt it, but I'm sure he had a part in deciding it was the way they were going to base their offense.  

He's a good leader, extremely intelligent and thoughtful, and his players love him. He might not be a top 5 coach, but he checks a lot of boxes.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

QB - 3

RB - 3

OL -10

TE - 3

WR - 5

Returner - 1 (either Milne or Erickson, who have been sharing return duties during camp.)

So all the rest of the guys are fighting for 1 spot.  Cam Sims is the betting favorite.

Depending on what happens at TE, they could keep 4 TEs and 5 receivers, one being the returner.  In which case none of those guys who are not locks make it.  

Personally, IF Howell could win the backup job cleanly, I’d cut TH, assume he would clear waivers and put him on the PS and keep another TE/WR.  I think the chances of that happening are akin to me riding in an elevator with Sinbad.  Wait, that happened.  (In like 1994… in a mall in VA.). So like that.  It COULD happen. But it’s highly unlikely. 

At least some of the beat reporters think Milne is close to a lock to make the team.   Supposedly he has outplayed Dyami Brown.  Brown is probably safe because he was a third round pick.

19 minutes ago, philibusters said:

At least some of the beat reporters think Milne is close to a lock to make the team.   Supposedly he has outplayed Dyami Brown.  Brown is probably safe because he was a third round pick.

The amount of capital used to acquire a player shouldn't affect the players grade on the depth chart, but it does. Completely undisciplined idea as two wrongs don't make a right. Dyami Brown was just another bad draft pick in a two year bucket of bad drafts.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

31 minutes ago, philibusters said:

It’s very possible.  I’ve heard Brown has had some good days and some less good days. 

He’s going to make the team because he was a 3rd round pick.  But this is his last year of really having that protection.  He has to put up some numbers this year or he will be a bubble guy next year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

The amount of capital used to acquire a player shouldn't affect the players grade on the depth chart, but it does. Completely undisciplined idea as two wrongs don't make a right. Dyami Brown was just another bad draft pick in a two year bucket of bad drafts.

Brown is going to make the team because he's talented. Talented enough to be widely considered a good pick on day two of the draft. His rookie season he has Heiunicke chucking wobbling turkeys instead of a QB that could hit a deep pass, which is where his game excels.

We've already seen this coaching staff sign guys and then cut them if they didn't work out, so there is no reason to think they'll cut a guy with upside before his second season even starts in favor of a nobody journeyman or a player that's never made a roster.

He'll be WR4 on the DC and make his living on 20+ plays. He's not going to be a 1,000 yard guy, which is fine, because again, WR4

Milne who returns puts and Sims, both of who were in CA with Wentz and the rest of them will most likely be the other 2 and one or two will hit the PS.

And how can you rate last year and this years drafts as bad already? That's ridiculous too. Three years ago was still the old scout and draft team, so I am assuming that you aren't talking about guys that were replaced.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

I see things like this and I wonder how the hell the 3 dudes sitting in the middle of the field for the name reveal ever happened.

I mean, they have the ability to put out good stuff.  And it's like they were embarrassed to even try.  

I will never forget the uniform reveal. Possibly tee worst sports promotion ever. 

I wish I had a short clip of the tada

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

QB - 3

RB - 3

OL -10

TE - 3

WR - 5

You're proposing to cut a guy who started 15 games for you last season when the starter was lost for the season in the 1st half of the 1st game in favor of a rookie who was drafted in the 5th round? What happens if CW gets hurt in game 1 vs Jax, is out for the seaason, and you've lost TH to some other team because you cut him? We all know you think TH sucks but rolling with a 5th round pick as the leader of your team in an emergency speaks loudly for your knowledge of how to build a roster. Do you ever think through some of the things you say or do you just expect us all to buy into the stuff you sell? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

You're proposing to cut a guy who started 15 games for you last season when the starter was lost for the season in the 1st half of the 1st game in favor of a rookie who was drafted in the 5th round? What happens if CW gets hurt in game 1 vs Jax, is out for the seaason, and you've lost TH to some other team because you cut him? We all know you think TH sucks but rolling with a 5th round pick as the leader of your team in an emergency speaks loudly for your knowledge of how to build a roster. Do you ever think through some of the things you say or do you just expect us all to buy into the stuff you sell? 

TH had started 3 games before last season and got hurt in all of them.  As you and others keep saying, he was basically a rookie.  And he was an undrafted guy who was physically limited who played college ball at ODU.  He was the backup, he got a chance to play, nobody knew how he would do or if he cold even stay healthy.  He proved he could play a little, but was so severely limited that the team went out and drafted his replacement.  

And if you read what I said carefully, you will see I said "IF Howell beats him cleanly for the backup job."  That's the IF  If Howell doesn't, then TH is the backup, and clearly is on the roster and is the backup going into week 1.  And I'd be completely fine with that.   Again, if you read carefully, I didn't even suggest Howell WOULD beat TH, just that IF he did, I would cut him to free up a roster spot for a 5th WR or 4th TE, all of whom would impact the game more than an inactive 3rd string QB.  

However, IF Howell beats him for the backup job (like Cousins, a 4th round rookie beat Grossman in 2012), then yeah, I have literally no use for TH on the roster as a third string guy.  I'd cut him, and if he cleared waivers, put him on the PS. And if they lose him to another team, I would wish him well.  

I don't actually think Howell is going to beat out TH for the backup job, at least not right out of the gate, so I think it's a moot point.  That said, I do hope Howell beats out TH, because that would be better for the team in the long run.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Yeah, cause he's good for nobody but Turner and roster construction is hard

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

TH had started 3 games before last season and got hurt in all of them.  As you and others keep saying, he was basically a rookie.  And he was an undrafted guy who was physically limited who played college ball at ODU.  He was the backup, he got a chance to play, nobody knew how he would do or if he cold even stay healthy.  He proved he could play a little, but was so severely limited that the team went out and drafted his replacement.  

And if you read what I said carefully, you will see I said "IF Howell beats him cleanly for the backup job."  That's the IF  If Howell doesn't, then TH is the backup, and clearly is on the roster and is the backup going into week 1.  And I'd be completely fine with that.   Again, if you read carefully, I didn't even suggest Howell WOULD beat TH, just that IF he did, I would cut him to free up a roster spot for a 5th WR or 4th TE, all of whom would impact the game more than an inactive 3rd string QB.  

However, IF Howell beats him for the backup job (like Cousins, a 4th round rookie beat Grossman in 2012), then yeah, I have literally no use for TH on the roster as a third string guy.  I'd cut him, and if he cleared waivers, put him on the PS. And if they lose him to another team, I would wish him well.  

I don't actually think Howell is going to beat out TH for the backup job, at least not right out of the gate, so I think it's a moot point.  That said, I do hope Howell beats out TH, because that would be better for the team in the long run.

IF I win the lottery, then I don’t need to

go to work at Burger King anymore….

• Thumb up 1