Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

23 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Do that a few times, and then you could sub Brown in for a more traditional 3 WR set, and leave Gibson in at RB.  Now you're really screwing with the DCs mind.  Is GIbby a RB?  WR?  

Or, put McLaurin, Dotson, Gibson, McKissic and Robinson in all at the same time.  You still have three 4.3 guys, McKissic is probably the best receiver of the RBs, and Robinson is the RB.  

There is so much they COULD do even if Samuel is out.  

If he's there, so much the better.  But if they lose him this year, they should be used to it and have a plan for how to overcome it.

That's not even counting Cole Turner who by all accounts appears to becoming a bit of a play maker

• Like 1

The positive, albeit way-to-early-to-jump-to-conclusions reports on this past draft class is huge. Then to couple that with Bates and Cosmi’s plus play last year (presumably Cheeseman performed as well) and the positive stuff about other 2nd year guys - Davis, St Juste, Brown and Forrest… that’s a massive injection of youth that lends some legitimate hope for the future.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

The positive, albeit way-to-early-to-jump-to-conclusions reports on this past draft class is huge. Then to couple that with Bates and Cosmi’s plus play last year (presumably Cheeseman performed as well) and the positive stuff about other 2nd year guys - Davis, St Juste, Brown and Forrest… that’s a massive injection of youth that lends some legitimate hope for the future.

Agree.  If some of the positive vibes about this class and the previous one translates to the season -- that is something to feel good about as far as optimism.

I liked this draft class a lot.  Granted that's purely opinion but I didn't understand why so many draft geeks (not just Thor Nystrom) was "meh" on it.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  If some of the positive vibes about this class and the previous one translates to the season -- that is something to feel good about as far as optimism.

I liked this draft class a lot.  Granted that's purely opinion but I didn't understand why so many draft geeks (not just Thor Nystrom) was "meh" on it.  

With you 100% on this... We essentially traded Olave (or perhaps Hamilton, but I doubt that's where they would have gone if they stayed at #11) and our 6th rounder (#189) for:

• Jahan Dotson
  • Brian Robinson
  • Sam Howell
  • Cole Turner

Now, obviously, if Olave turns into something resembling Randy Moss 2.0, then we'll all be crying in our beers in a few years over what "could have been".  But more likely, getting a stud WR, stud RB, potential franchise QB, and a TE1 will (hopefully) come off looking like an amazing haul.  But then again, there's a reason why no organization can predict this stuff completely.  

Should be fun to watch.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

ASHBURN — Two essential training camp ingredients were added to the pot here on Tuesday: pads and one-on-one receiver-corner battles.  Thanks to the added gear, Ron Rivera's squad upped the physicality, which was necessary to ensure the action didn't get too stale in early August.  For a summary of how the pass Commanders catchers and defensive backs fared against each other, meanwhile, come right this way...

• Dyami Brown, who's fought a case of the drops at times, showed up well in man-on-man work. He beat William Jackson III early on an instant slant and then maintained possession as Jackson III did his best to jar it loose. A few minutes later, Brown then ran right by Christian Holmes down the sideline and snared a Carson Wentz pass over his shoulder for six points. More of that, and less of the unforced errors, would serve Brown and this team well.

• Benjamin St-Juste got a little too grabby when he was isolated. Versus Jahan Dotson, St-Juste put his hands inside of the rookie's shoulder, which caused position coach Chris Harris to remind him that'll be flagged mercilessly in the season. To St-Juste's credit, he erased Dax Milne soon after that, displaying much better discipline. For the majority of the summer, St-Juste has excelled.

• The top matchup pitted Terry McLaurin against Kendall Fuller, a showdown that Fuller won. McLaurin attempted to convince Fuller that he was running a go before slamming on the brakes on a comeback, yet Fuller didn't budge, leaving the quarterback nowhere to throw it. Fuller is absolutely locked in right now.  

• Lastly, little-known corner Josh Drayden is doing what he can to remove the "little" from that label. The Cal product is popping more than Danny Johnson, who's been with Washington since 2018. A year ago, Torry McTyer emerged in the secondary to sneak onto the roster. Perhaps Drayden will follow on a similar path. 

• Elsewhere, the wideouts added a new drill to their position-specific warmups meant to dial in their concentration. Two guys would go at a time, with one running in front of four tall tackle dummies and the other running in back of them. The former's job was basically to distract the latter, while the latter was tasked with hauling in multiple passes while not losing focus. 

• The Curtis Samuel Practice Tracker remains at zero. While he was present and wearing his jersey, Samuel wasn't involved at all. Unfortunately, The Curtis Samuel Missed Practice Tracker has now climbed to two. 

• Wentz was better than the poor effort he authored on Monday. He reconnected with Dotson, whom he seriously clicked with at OTAs and minicamp, and also found McLaurin on a couple of occasions that required sharp timing and ball placement. However, he tailed off in the last 11-on-11 phase, lobbing two deep shots well out of bounds. He also almost committed an egregious turnover when he was rolling left and tried to flip the ball away before getting sacked; the problem was that he didn't get it high enough, giving St-Juste an opportunity to snag it. Fortunately, it fell incomplete.

• As Tuesday was winding down, McLaurin took a reverse and followed a nicely-blocked path for a first down and likely much more. On his way back to the offense, he made sure to give intense high-fives to Wes Schweitzer and others who cleared out his alley. 

• John Bates, Trai Turner and Troy Apke joined Samuel as non-participants. Those three Commanders have all been absent for a string of practices. With no Bates at tight end (and still no Logan Thomas)Curtis Hodges and Armani Rogers have been filling in capably, with Rogers earning snaps with the starters on Tuesday.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone listen to the Junks this morning?Jason Bishop said he's being told off the record that Curtis Samuel doesn't get it. He's too laid back and has no sense of urgency.  

Ron needs to stop enabling him. If he can only practice two days and then needs 4 days off he's worthless. Thinking he can coast through training camp and be ready for the regular season also seems far fetched.

This guy is Doctson 2.0

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb down 1

Dang, Reyes catching 10,000 balls from his JUGs machine this offseason?  I gotta say, given the hard charging effort he’s shown to date, if there’s anyone that can overcome the enormous learning curve of never playing before, it’s probably this guy.  

How unfortunate for him that this is probably the best overall group of TEs we’ve ever had in DC.  I’m not betting against him though, that mental makeup with that level of athleticism is rare.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

It’s time to strip Ron of all Gm duties. Yeah we have a so called 3 headed Gm team but Ron’s the ultimate decider. Ron needs to stick to coaching.

There are very few coaches who are good at being both coach and Gm; Ron isn’t one of them.

Counterpoint - while wearing both hats, Ron’s done well with the public facing stuff, the team has drafted well, our culture has turned around, our salary cap is in a good spot, our free agency has been solid (if unspectacular) and our depth looks good almost across the board.  He’s also given us some hope at the qb position.  And that’s all while dealing with the Snyder crap, a pretty terrible group of qbs, COVID, and battling cancer.  

With all of that said, I’d prefer he pass off the GM duties.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 3

41 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Anyone listen to the Junks this morning?Jason Bishop said he's being told off the record that Curtis Samuel doesn't get it. He's too laid back and has no sense of urgency.  

Ron needs to stop enabling him. If he can only practice two days and then needs 4 days off he's worthless. Thinking he can coast through training camp and be ready for the regular season also seems far fetched.

This guy is Doctson 2.0

This is easy meat for radio listeners and I don’t believe a word of it. Rivera was around this guy his whole career and wasn’t even there for his big breakout season, but he didn’t know this? Come on. No way. Maybe he’s fragile as a glass lamb, maybe he was just unlucky last year and they’re just being cautious—but I don’t at all believe that it has to do with his football character or being an underachiever. This is Ron’s guy. Hurney’s guy. Turner’s guy. They have to know what makes him tick after so much time, even if he didn’t actually break out until they left. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

It’s time to strip Ron of all Gm duties. Yeah we have a so called 3 headed Gm team but Ron’s the ultimate decider. Ron needs to stick to coaching.

There are very few coaches who are good at being both coach and Gm; Ron isn’t one of them.

You're not wrong about the  bolded. Also, Ron isn't the GM.  They have a GM.  Now, the GM works for Ron, so Ron has final say, but he is not actually the GM.  And if you watched some of the videos, Martin and Marty definitely are the ones driving a lot of the decisions, and Ron is approving them.  

However, there's no real basis for this comment.  It's a typical negative comment from you.

There is no GM in the NFL that gets it right 100% of the time, and if you watched the video the team produced leading up to training camp, it is clear that Martin and Marty both have a lot of say-so.

If you ask me, the good outweighs the bad by a whole lot.  It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.  When Ron took the team over in 2020, there were a few good, young DLmen and Terry, and that was it.

They have re-built basically the entire roster, top to bottom, to something which is significantly more competent.  They hit on Logan Thomas, McKissic, and a few other FAs.

Last year's off-season doesn't look great, but mostly because of injury.  Fitz only played 16 snaps, which isn't the GM's fault.  And Samuel was hurt all season.  I would give Ron some criticism if that was in Samuel's past history.  In fact, by signing a guy they were familiar with, where availability hadn't been a problem, you'd think it was a safer move.

As to the drafts, there have been some hits and misses.  I don't give a rat's ass what Thor Nystrom says about our draft grades.   You also can't judge a draft after 1 or 2 years.

In 2021, they got:
- Davis, who I think was a blown evaluation but still might turn into a good player

- Cosmi, who looks like a starting RT

- St. Juice, who looks like a starter

- D. Brown, who didn't have a great rookie year, but has shown some flashes as a second year guy

- Bates, who looks like a solid TE and contributor

- Forrest, who might play defense this year and is good on ST.

- Cheeseman, who is the starting Long Snapper

- William Bradley-King, who played well at times as a reserve filling in for injured Sweat and Young

- Shaka Toney, same as above

- Milne, who might be the new "move the chains" underneath guy.

In 2022, early returns are outstanding on Dotson and Cole Turner, and positive on a bunch of the others.

Obligatory Thor Nystrom can kiss my ass comment here.

So, apart from the fact you're negative about everything, why do you want to remove his GM duties?  Because he missed on a FA who can't stay healthy?

Seems like a bit of a reach to me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Conn said:

This is easy meat for radio listeners and I don’t believe a word of it. Rivera was around this guy his whole career and wasn’t even there for his big breakout season, but he didn’t know this? Come on. No way. Maybe he’s fragile as a glass lamb, maybe he was just unlucky last year and they’re just being cautious—but I don’t at all believe that it has to do with his football character or being an underachiever. This is Ron’s guy. Hurney’s guy. Turner’s guy. They have to know what makes him tick after so much time, even if he didn’t actually break out until they left. 

The media gets all up in a huff when they are criticized for being too negative, and say they only report on the news.  But that is absolute horse ****.  The Junks, Kevin Sheehan, Grant and Danny, even JP ad BMitch, they just say anything and feed red meat to fans in order to get ears, eyeballs and clicks.  Though I think Kevin is truly suffering from Snyder induced PTSD, and has no idea what the hell he's saying 90% of the time anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Conn said:

Fair enough but go back and look at the leaks/information that the junks have provided in the past and they're usually always right on.

If there was a history of giving bad info then I agree with you but there isn't so I don't.

Edited by JSSkinz

So... I've noticed many here aren't thinking outside of the box RE: who makes it as pass catchers.

McLaurin

Dotson

Samuel

Brown

Erickson

Ezzard

Harmon

McGowan

Michel

Milne

Sims

Those are the receivers in camp...

But you also have to account for backs who can be versatile and tight ends who can be versatile so:

Armah

Bonnafon

Gibson

McKissick

Patterson

Robinson

Williams

Bates

Hodges

Reyes

Rogers

Turner

Thomas

I assume we would keep 13 total at these positions. Maybe 14.

My current list:

Receivers:

Terry McLaurin

Jahan Dotson

Curtis Samuel (cap hit is too much)

Dyami Brown

Dax Milne

COLE TURNER

Cam Sims

RBs:

Antonio Gibson

Brian Robinson Jr

JD McKissick

TE: 

Logan Thomas

John Bates

Hodges/Reyes (or both)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

This guy is Doctson 2.0

Nobody knows for sure except the trainers. I leave Samuel out because it's possible he maynot know why he's experiencing chronic muscle fatigue. It could be nutrition, exercise, or sleep/rest dilemma or a combination. When trainers track an athletes progress, they can figure it out but if the player isn't resting and rehabbing like they report, there's nothing the trainer can do. Seems Curtis was fine in the off-season and then when things start ramping up, he tightens up. Something's not right with this situation, but who's to blame ultimately lands on the player. Not sure yet, but Curtis plays Week 1 - book that!

23 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So... I've noticed many here aren't thinking outside of the box RE: who makes it as pass catchers.

McLaurin

Dotson

Samuel

Brown

Erickson

Ezzard

Harmon

McGowan

Michel

Milne

Sims

Those are the receivers in camp...

But you also have to account for backs who can be versatile and tight ends who can be versatile so:

Armah

Bonnafon

Gibson

McKissick

Patterson

Robinson

Williams

Bates

Hodges

Reyes

Rogers

Turner

Thomas

I assume we would keep 13 total at these positions. Maybe 14.

My current list:

Receivers:

Terry McLaurin

Jahan Dotson

Curtis Samuel (cap hit is too much)

Dyami Brown

Dax Milne

COLE TURNER

Cam Sims

RBs:

Antonio Gibson

Brian Robinson Jr

JD McKissick

TE: 

Logan Thomas

John Bates

Hodges/Reyes (or both)

Everyone (including myself) are high on Turners catching abilities, havnt heard much in regard to blocking etc. Obviously he is going to play a part in this offense but I'm curious how he projects as an all around tight end.

• Like 2