Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2022 General offseason discussion thread

Zim489

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I think it would be a dangerous move to strip his team captain status over a voluntary OTA. That would cause more problems than it would solve.  

What you're really saying is that a dramatic action like this involves risk. I won't deny that. I just wouldn't let it deter me from doing what I believe needs to be done.

If I was running the show I'm not acting out of fear. I'm making decisions that I think are in the best long term interests of becoming a winning organization. If I step on some toes in the process, so be it.

If somebody gets pissed off or cops an attitude about that they aren't  the type player you need on the team anyway.

Develop the ones you can and cull the ones that refuse to conform.

I think this move ultimately affirns  standards

that this organization hasn't had in over a decade.

We have made allowances and accommodations for the idiosyncrasies and desires of our players for years. Putting the needs of the special or "annointed" players over those of the team.

That attitude destroys unity, harmony and ultimately leads to less than optimum performance where it counts-- on the field.

I'm coming in hard charging and you either follow or get run over. I'm damn ****ing tired of losing.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

And as someone else pointed out, it’s been rumored there’s some type of altitude thing involved in his rehab. Can’t do that in VA. 

Dan could loan him his helicopter!

Or he could rent a hot air balloon!

12 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Edited by SkinsFTW

17 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I would revoke Chase's current team leader status and ban him from consideration as a future team captain.

Coach Rivera can't do that.

One, the players voted on him. Not the coach. Rivera unilaterally voiding it would make their voting for their team captains appear bogus.

Two, OTAs are strictly voluntary. Coaches or teams cannot punish or seek retribution on a player for not participating in them.

Coach Rivera stripping Young of his captain status for not being there at OTAs would most likely invoke action by the NFLPA to the NFL to take action against the Commanders for violating the CBA.

Which could mean a big fine, or maybe even a loss of draft picks. Or both.

Rivera taking action like that over OTAs would just cause more problems than anything. 

Edited by SkinsGuy
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

20 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

This year actually it HAS been different, did you not realize Chase Young WAS there in April? Because newsflash, he was. That’s different from last year. And once again, not everyone’s rehabs are the same, you do realize that, yes? And as someone else pointed out, it’s been rumored there’s some type of altitude thing involved in his rehab. Can’t do that in VA. And like i said, chase young has communicated his plan with Rivera. Rivera seems to be perfectly fine with it. 

Making the same argument over and over does not make you more right.  You keep referencing April while I have been talking about this OTA in May, which is why it is pointless for us to continue.  The altitude thing is yet another excuse  and it's amusing that you bought it.  If this were the case why wouldn't we see all players rehabbing an ACL heading to the high mountains?  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Making the same argument over and over does not make you more right.  You keep referencing April while I have been talking about this OTA in May, which is why it is pointless for us to continue.  The altitude thing is yet another excuse  and it's amusing that you bought it.  If this were the case why wouldn't we see all players rehabbing an ACL heading to the high mountains?  

On matters like this, I care more about Rivera's viewpoint than the fans' viewpoint. If he's satisfied with what Chase is doing and how he's doing it then so am I.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

April is part of OTA’s too, you realize that right? That’s why i “keep referencing April”. 

As for the part in bold, not all ACL tears require the same type of rehab plan. If chase young’s trainer thinks it will help, and if Rivera is perfectly fine with that plan, then this whole thing isn’t an issue at all. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

On matters like this, I care more about Rivera's viewpoint than the fans' viewpoint. If he's satisfied with what Chase is doing and how he's doing it then so am I.

I'm sure RR wants him there..

PUBLICLY Coach says the right things and doesn't promote yet another distraction by voicing his disappointment, he's pretty good about that. but PRIVATELY I'm sure Coach wants all of his team there. Building unity, chemistry, and just being a "team."  What Coach wouldn't want that??

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

What you're really....

So team captains must lead their position groups  in hrs at the office??

On 5/28/2022 at 11:04 AM, Califan007 The Constipated said:

So ...Wentz or Young?…

Wentz mos def, but let Chase have another meh year..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I'm sure RR wants him there..

PUBLICLY Coach says the right things and doesn't promote yet another distraction by voicing his disappointment, he's pretty good about that. but PRIVATELY I'm sure Coach wants all of his team there. Building unity, chemistry, and just being a "team."  What Coach wouldn't want that??

I wouldn't be so sure he cares. Fans care and then they transfer that feeling to coaches and other players. Coaches may have a more pragmatic take especially when long-term rehab is involved. I don't know if there have been any "anonymous source" reports about Rivera being bothered with Young this year.

What bothered me in the past were players who didn't communicate with the coaches or didn't get absences cleared with the coach ahead of time. From what I've read and seen neither of those is occurring here. So until I hear otherwise I'm not gonna assume Rivera or Del Rio are obsessing over Young's rehab absence like fans are.

• Like 1

The only player who gets the "VOR Raised Eyebrow" for not attending the first week of mini-camps is Sweat.

Terry - he's got to create as much leverage as he possibly can.  I completely understand what he's doing and why he's doing it. 

Young - he can't do on-field work anyway.  By all accounts he is in contact with the team and WAS in Ashburn a few weeks ago for voluntary workouts, so they kindof know where he is in his rehab, and if he wants to go "down [to] Mexico City, [where] they shoot shark piss up your nose, you sit in traction for eight months," fine, whatever.  (Bonus point for anybody who gets the quote.)

Payne - he was there, just made a public point.  Fine, I don't care.  They aren't going to trade him because they can't get value for him, so he can be miserable or play his ass off and hit FA and make bank.  

Sweat - unless there is more to the "personal reasons" than meets the eye, he should be there.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Sweat - unless there is more to the "personal reasons" than meets the eye, he should be there.  

I think this is a reasonable question. 

It was communicated that Sweat was given an excused absence for Tuesday May 24.... So what happened regarding Montez the other days?  Did he ever show up?

6 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

How do you know he's satisfied? That contradicts everything he, as well as his DC, have said previously. 

He said what he said recently because he didn't want to turn this into a big deal and cause friction and another controversy.  However if you believe everything a coach says publicly about his players is how they really feel well i don't know what to tell you because this is simply not true.  .  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

How do you know he's satisfied? That contradicts everything he, as well as his DC, have said previously. 

He said what he said recently because he didn't want to turn this into a big deal and cause friction and another controversy.  However if you believe everything a coach says publicly about his players is how they really feel well i don't know what to tell you because this is simply not true.  .  

Gibbs, Shanahan, and Gruden had no problem voicing their displeasure in players’ actions. Rivera as well.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated

14 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Gibbs, Shanahan, and Gruden had no problem voicing their displeasure in players’ actions. Rivera as well.

I don't really remember Gibbs actually criticizing a player publicly. I remember him going out of his way to put everything on his own shoulders.

• Like 2

Just listened to Logan Paulsen on the burgundy zone pod. Said Turner already looks like a starting NFL F-TE. Said the TE room is the strongest he's seen the unit in 10 years on this team. And that's with Logan Thomas currently on the sidelines. Said Hodges looks the part and could contribute year-1. 

Sammis Reyes is also hurt, which I think really hurts his chances this year. He might be the odd man out with the talent we have.

Gonna be tough to stash any of these guys on the practice squad without getting poached.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

About the only thing I liked about Gruden was, unlike most every other coach, he told it straight.  Remember what a big deal it was when he called out Robert for not having a clue, using a 1 step drop when it should have been 3?  That was a big deal because it was rarely done. Gibbs?  Come on, he went out of his way to back his players, he hid his true feeling from the press as almost every coach does. 

The claim that coaches routinely call out players and give their true feeling to the press is nonsense. I can't believe I am even debating this.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

About the only thing I liked about Gruden was, unlike most every other coach, he told it straight.  Remember what a big deal it was when he called out Robert for not having a clue, using a 1 step drop when it should have been 3?  That was a big deal because it was rarely done. Gibbs?  Come on, he went out of his way to back his players, he hid his true feeling from the press as almost every coach does. 

The claim that coaches routinely call out players and give their true feeling to the press is nonsense. I can't believe I am even debating this.

Well, towards the end Shanny definitely felt no desire to shield his players. He was happy to throw everyone under the bus, pour gasoline on their remains, light it up, and then detonate dynamite he placed along the bridge as he drove off.