Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Top Ten OLB’s

1. Derick Hall, Auburn (I’d play him in an overhang type role ala how the Eagle’s use Haason Reddick)
  2. Nolan Smith, (same as D. Hall)
  3. Trenton Simpson, Clemson
  4. DeMarvion Overshown, Texas
  5. Nick Herbig, Wisconsin
  6. Byron Young, Tennessee
  7. Yasir Abdullah, Louisville
  8. Jalen Graham, Purdue
  9. Mohamoud Diabate, Utah
  10. Cam Jones, Indiana

Edited by Chump Bailey

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like him, don’t love him, still would like to see him lose 20 pounds 

That is clear insane though, freakish wingspan 

Now I'm really curious about what his arm length will end up being.  He's got a wide body, but that's an NBA center's wingspan.

Getting an Orlando Brown Jr/Trent Brown/Daniel Faalele vibe from him.  He can be completely dominant at that size because of how large a margin for error he will have.  Especially as a run blocker, it'd be so friggin hard to get your hands into his shoulder pads.  Like those three other dudes, the quality of his career is going to hinge on his weight management.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Now I'm really curious about what his arm length will end up being.  He's got a wide body, but that's an NBA center's wingspan.

Getting an Orlando Brown Jr/Trent Brown/Daniel Faalele vibe from him.  He can be completely dominant at that size because of how large a margin for error he will have.  Especially as a run blocker, it'd be so friggin hard to get your hands into his shoulder pads.  Like those three other dudes, the quality of his career is going to hinge on his weight management.

What makes Dawand interesting is that I have a feeling he is going to test relatively well for a guy his size. He was a star high school basketball player and had at least D1 offer and a bunch of D2 offers. 

6 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I got to rewatch him now, wrote something up about him a month ago.  Recall liking him more in pass protection than run blocking.  I did like the run blocking in short yardage but not on the 2nd level though didn't hate him on that front.  Thought he moved decent for his size.  Was on the table for me in the 2nd.  I had Hartison, Wright, Bergeron ahead of him with him and Freeland next.  But all kind of close.  It's part of the reason why I am confortable going tackle in the 2nd if B. Jones is gone in the first.

I recall my general vibe of liking but not loving but got to go back to rewacth and recall why.  Part of it for me is for dudes that big what happens if their weight gets worse?  It seems like a running narrative with the Jets in recent years with Becton who got up to 400 pounds.  Now they say he's losing weight.  Seems like a roller coaster that adds a wild card element to the deal with players that size.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I gto rewatch him now, wrote something up about him a month ago.  Recall liking him more in pass protection than run blocking.  I did like the run blocking in short yardage but not on the 2nd level though didn't hate him on that front.  I recall my general vibe of liking but not loving but got to go bacl to recall why.  Part of it for me is for dudes that big what happens if their weight gets worse?  It seems like a running narrative with the Jets in recent years with Becton who got up to 400 pounds.  Now they say he's losing weight.  Seems like a roller coaster that adds a wild card element to the deal with players that size.

He’s currently my OT6, but I can see him getting to OT4. Been watching him more and I like him more every time. I have Anton Harrison ahead of him but I think I like him more than Harrison but need to let that take marinade. I also have Freeland at OT3 atm, but watching him more I think I have him slightly overrated at the moment. He probably winds up OT4 or 5. 

I like DJones. You can see his length on film pay off. Great anchor. I think he’d be a good get for us.

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He’s currently my OT6, but I can see him getting to OT4. Been watching him more and I like him more every time. I have Anton Harrison ahead of him but I think I like him more than Harrison but need to let that take marinade. I also have Freeland at OT3 atm, but watching him more I think I have him slightly overrated at the moment. He probably winds up OT4 or 5. 

I like DJones. You can see his length on film pay off. Great anchor. I think he’d be a good get for us.

I like Freeland talked about him weeks back.  If I recall my concern is he's really tall, 6 '8, and while he's moves really well IMO, I wonder about his agility-ability to sink his hips when facing shorter-faster pass rushers with really good bend.  But I like him.

I like Anton as a pass protector, seems to have a good wingspan, long arms, looks the part.  Just OK in the run game though.   I also like Darnell Wright as to how he anchors in pass protection, also like him better on that front than the run game.   

Yeah Dawan to me was a wall in pass protection, good in the run game.  But IMO he wasn't a cat agility wise so to speek.  I wouldn't say stiff either but somewhere in between. I think if he keeps his weight down, he's going to be good, but I don't love worrying about that as a variable considering the ride the Jets are on with Becton. But I'd be ok with the pick.  I like how Bergeron moves seems like a really fluid player and good athlete.

I like Cody Mauch too, I am a sucker for players who have a mean streak and can hit the 2nd level but he feels to me more guard than tackle. 

Overall, i think one of these dudes falls to our pick at 47. 

• Like 2

Top Ten 4-3/3-4 DE * 3Tech * 5Tech

1. Jalen Carter, Georgia
  2. Tuli Tuipulotu, USC
  3. Bryan Bresee, Clemson
  4. Gervon Dexter, Florida
  5. Calijah Kancey, Pitt
  6. Mike Morris, Michigan
  7. Byron Young, Alabama
  8. Zacch Pickens, South Carolina
  9. Kobie Turner, Wake Forest
  10. YaYa Diaby, Louisville * Colby Wooden, Auburn * Dylan Horton, TCU
Edited by Chump Bailey

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got to rewatch him now, wrote something up about him a month ago.  Recall liking him more in pass protection than run blocking.  I did like the run blocking in short yardage but not on the 2nd level though didn't hate him on that front.  Thought he moved decent for his size.  Was on the table for me in the 2nd.  I had Hartison, Wright, Bergeron ahead of him with him and Freeland next.  But all kind of close.  It's part of the reason why I am confortable going tackle in the 2nd if B. Jones is gone in the first.

I recall my general vibe of liking but not loving but got to go back to rewacth and recall why.  Part of it for me is for dudes that big what happens if their weight gets worse?  It seems like a running narrative with the Jets in recent years with Becton who got up to 400 pounds.  Now they say he's losing weight.  Seems like a roller coaster that adds a wild card element to the deal with players that size.

That’s where the interviews are going to really matter. He seems at least self aware from public interviews

I watched 2 games of his and I dig Christopher Smith, 5 '11, 195, Georgia safety.  Sort of a poor man's Brian Branch but not that poor.  I think they are close even though Branch gets much more hype.  Plays deeper than Branch typically does.  But he plays with a feistiness that is similar to Branch, and they are about the same size.

Like Branch he's a bit undersized but hits way above his weight class, strong against the run, tackles low and finishes his tackles well.  Reminds me also a little of Xavier McKinney when I watched him in college.

From what i saw he moved around, played FS, split, single high, but also some slot, some in the box. In the slot I saw him cover Hyatt on a deep corrner route.  Hyatt is uber fast but Smith almost kept pace with him and Hyatt didn't make the play.  Good range.  Good ball skills -- 6 picks combined in the last two years.  

On an aside, Georgia's defense as a whole is a ton of fun to watch, loaded everywhere., no revelation there  In that mix, Malaki Starks, their freshman safety is an animal, fun to watch.   I haven't studed Kelee Ringo yet but caught him at times while watching this, from what I saw Ringo is strong against the run game.

Overall really good safety IMO.  And you can trust him in the slot if need be, former corner.  And like Branch he can play big nickle because in spite of his size he's really good against the run.

18 hours ago, KDawg said:

I know some here were curious about Stetson Bennett…

The dude is 25 years old and turns down a Senior Bowl invitation to get wasted I gather among other better things he has to do.

Then you got Hooker going to the Senior Bowl even though he can't play.   Clearly it shows the character of both. 

lol, just as I posed that, a dude calls 980 saying Rivera should be fired and would be crazy not to take Stetson in the first round at 16.  :ols:

• Like 1

PFF mock, funky in places.  One of my favorite 2nd round targets, Darnell Wright in the first.    I hope they are wrong about that.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-mock-draft-houston-texans-trade-up-three-quarterbacks-top-10

6. DETROIT LIONS (VIA RAMS): CB DEVON WITHERSPOON, ILLINOIS

Let's keep this blurb to just a few words: turn on the tape.

Though Witherspoon comes in a little lighter than desired for an NFL defender at 6-foot and 180 pounds, his tape was about as good as it gets. He earned an elite 92.6 coverage grade in 2022, which ranked first in the FBS. On top of not yielding a touchdown this year, on 107 press coverage snaps, he allowed just five catches for 23 total yards.

7. LAS VEGAS RAIDERS: OT PETER SKORONSKI, NORTHWESTERN

The Raiders’ decision-makers are in a tough spot. They clearly went all in last season when trading for Davante Adams, hoping it would take Derek Carr and the franchise to the next level.

It backfired horrendously.

Now with all the pressure on both head coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Dave Ziegler, I can’t imagine they have the ability to draft QB3 or QB4 in this class and just be mediocre at best while starting a rookie next season. Instead, I think they’ll be very aggressive in the veteran quarterback market and will prioritize the offensive line in the top 10 of the draft. Despite not having ideal measurables with arm length (actually started his college career as a center), Skoronski earned an elite 92.4 pass-blocking grade in 2022 as the Wildcats’ left tackle.

8. ATLANTA FALCONS: CB/S BRIAN BRANCH, ALABAMA

Though the Falcons’ top need on defense is along the defensive line, I’m not as high on the defensive line talent in this class as it seems others are. The Falcons and general manager Terry Fontenot are committed to building the team the right way. That means not forcing picks at positions of need and instead drafting players they believe will be important contributors, potential second-contract players. Brian Branch has that potential.

As a hybrid defensive back who has played both safety and nickel defender, Branch was an elite run defender (90.7 grade) and an elite coverage player (90.4 grade) while missing just three tackles on over 600 run-defense snaps in his career.

9. CAROLINA PANTHERS: QB C.J. STROUD, OHIO STATE

The Panthers could certainly be among the teams bidding for the No. 1 overall pick to get their quarterback of choice. But as I pondered on which potential trade seems most realistic, it is hard for me to imagine the Bears saying yes to a deal that moves them out of the top five. That’s not to say Chicago is the only potential trade partner for the Panthers, but here I have them staying put. If they can afford to do that while drafting an extremely productive quarterback (elite passing grades in back-to-back seasons) like Stroud, that would be a big win for the first draft of the Frank Reich era.

10. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (VIA SAINTS): CB CHRISTIAN GONZALEZ, OREGON

The Eagles are in a very advantageous spot as a team headed to the Super Bowl with a top-10 pick. There aren't many needs for Philadelphia to fill, but cornerback could become one. James Bradberry has been a fantastic signing for the Eagles this year, but he’s only on a one-year deal. If they can’t bring him back, that’s a big loss. Bradberry finished the regular season with an 82.8 coverage grade and the second-most forced incompletions in the league (19).

Gonzalez brings CB1 potential to the position. His movement skills at 6-foot-2 and 200 pounds are so smooth, and this year he took his ball production to the next level with four interceptions and nine forced incompletions. 

11. TENNESSEE TITANS: OT BRODERICK JONES, GEORGIA

Things have fallen off hard in Tennessee, and the best way to get back on track is through the trenches. Jones is still raw as a prospect, as this past season was just his first as a starting left tackle. But he has the size at 6-foot-4 and 310 pounds, and he moves like a real athlete along the line of scrimmage. For as physically imposing as he looks, it was his pass protection that stood out this past year. He earned an 84.2 pass-blocking grade with zero sacks and only nine pressures allowed on 449 pass-blocking snaps.

12. HOUSTON TEXANS (VIA BROWNS): WR QUENTIN JOHNSTON, TCU

Let me just start by admitting that this year’s wide receiver class is not comparable to last year’s. No matter who you ask, if you wanted to know where the top receiver in 2023 would rank versus the 2022 list, you wouldn’t find many, if any, who would say their WR1 would crack the top five.

However, that doesn’t mean this class lacks receivers who could help a team’s passing attack, and the 6-foot-4, 215-pound Quentin Johnston is one of them. He’s a good vertical receiver who can provide plenty of explosive plays. Plus, he moves well for a bigger receiver and is dynamic enough to rack up yards after the catch. The Texans’ pass-catching group looks barren right now, especially if Brandin Cooks remains disgruntled. They’d need all the help they can get.

13. NEW YORK JETS: OT PARIS JOHNSON JR., OHIO STATE

I pondered an Aaron Rodgers trade here. I really did. But Rodgers’ contract is so complicated with what’s flexible and what’s not that, until there is more clarity about how the Jets and Packers could feasibly get a pre-June deal done, I didn’t even want to take a stab at it.

So, ultimately, we get back to basics, and that is a damn good offensive line prospect who could help the Jets out, regardless of whether Mekhi Becton pans out. Johnson recorded an 83.5 pass-blocking grade on 790 snaps at right guard in 2021 and then posted an 80.8 pass-blocking grade on 848 snaps at left tackle in 2022. He feels like a natural offensive tackle, but a drafting team will be able to get good production out of him anywhere.

14. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: WR JORDAN ADDISON, USC

When Jordan Addison’s name comes up during big board assembly meetings across the NFL, some teams will focus on his lack of size at 6-foot and 175 pounds. Others will focus on his 2,506 receiving yards, 25 receiving touchdowns and Biletnikoff Award over the past two years. I’m not sure the Patriots are in a position to pass up a smooth and productive playmaker in the passing game.

15. GREEN BAY PACKERS: EDGE MYLES MURPHY, CLEMSON

Chances are you’ll read mock drafts with Myles Murphy in the top 10, and maybe even the top five. With the way this defensive class is set up, there is still a possibility of that happening, given the lack of clear pass-rushing stars beyond Will Anderson Jr. and with Murphy being an athletic 6-foot-5, 275-pounder. Some production concerns could push him a little further down boards. But even if that’s the case, he checks a lot of size and athletic thresholds the Packers typically go for.

16. WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: QB ANTHONY RICHARDSON, FLORIDA

Ah, the ultimate wild card in this draft. Here in this mock, I have Richardson going No. 16, but the truth is that his range is anywhere from No. 7 overall with the Raiders all the way to No. 26 with the Giants. Richardson’s numbers might scare teams, but his tape shows more promise than the raw data.

In his lone year of starting, he recorded 19 big-time throws and 13 turnover-worthy plays with just a 63.1% adjusted completion percentage (ideally, would want to be over 70%). But in a world of what could be, Richardson is as physically gifted as they come with his arm talent and his rushing ability. The ceiling is there, it’s just a bit inconsistent. This is a true home-run swing that could change everything in Washington.

17. PITTSBURGH STEELERS: OT DARNELL WRIGHT, TENNESSEE

The Steelers do have their current offensive tackles, Dan Moore Jr. and Chukwuma Okorafor, under contract for 2023, but that’s not to say they shouldn’t look for a potential upgrade. Though Wright played right tackle for the Vols — the bigger need for the Steelers is left tackle — he is talented enough to where I’d take a chance on him and feel comfortable with the growing pains of Wright or Moore on the left side. On 507 pass-blocking snaps in 2022, he allowed no sacks and just eight pressures with an 80.2 pass-blocking grade.

18. DETROIT LIONS: DT CALIJAH KANCEY, PITTSBURGH

In a defensive tackle class that feels light on impact players after Jalen Carter, Calijah Kancey sure made his case to be the second one selected this coming April. Though he’s undersized at 6-foot-1 and 280 pounds, he is an absolute menace on the interior with fantastic burst, great use of natural leverage, the fastest hands in the east and a motor that just does not quit. He recorded 27.5 tackles for loss and 14.5 sacks over the past two seasons with a 22.7% pass rush win rate.

19. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: OG O’CYRUS TORRENCE, FLORIDA

The Buccaneers' “needs” will be fluid over the next few months. First and foremost, Tom Brady’s decision regarding playing football in Tampa Bay or at all in 2023 looms large. They also have a handful of important unrestricted free agents in Lavonte David, Jamel Dean and Sean Murphy-Bunting. But, even with those departures on the horizon, trench play remains the biggest area of need.

The Bucs need pass rush, but after drafting a defensive lineman with each of their past two top picks, I’m not sure they’d do that again. Instead, I have them truly replacing Ali Marpet at left guard with the best guard in college football last season. At 6-foot-5 and 350 pounds, the mammoth Torrence earned an 87.5 overall grade with an 89.9 run-blocking grade in his first SEC season.

20. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: CB JOEY PORTER JR., PENN STATE

Defensive line and cornerback feel like the two areas the Seahawks are going to want to hit early in the 2023 NFL Draft. With them selecting Wilson at No. 5 earlier in this mock, I have them looking at cornerback here. Tariq Woolen was a steal of a pick last year, earning an 81.4 coverage grade and tying the league high in interceptions (six) in 2022. Woolen measures in at 6-foot-4 and 205 pounds, and putting the 6-foot-2, 205-pound Porter on the other side would create quite the nightmare matchup for opposing offenses.

21. MIAMI DOLPHINS: FORFEITED

22. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS: WR ZAY FLOWERS, BOSTON COLLEGE

The Chargers need to get more dynamic on offense. They’d love to get a receiver who could stretch the field vertically, but there’s no Jameson Williams or Chris Olave to choose from in this class.

Flowers is dynamic and could still be what the Chargers need, even if he’s not known as a vertical receiver. At 5-foot-10 and 175 pounds, he reportedly has 4.3-to-4.4-second 40-yard dash speed, and that shows up in his ability to separate against coverage and his 503 yards after the catch this past season.

23. BALTIMORE RAVENS: CB DEONTE BANKS, MARYLAND

With Marcus Peters set to become a free agent, cornerback could be an area of need for Baltimore. Thankfully for them, it seems like they’re in a sweet spot to get in on a strong first-round cornerback class. Banks might not bring ideal ball production, with just two interceptions in four seasons, but he knows how to cover. He earned an 81.4 coverage grade this past season with just 258 passing yards allowed on 360 coverage snaps. 

24. MINNESOTA VIKINGS: DT SIAKI IKA, BAYLOR

Cornerback could certainly be an option here for the Vikings, who just need to get better on defense in every facet. But with some big investments in the secondary last draft, perhaps they let those picks pan out a bit more and opt for a player like Siaki Ika, who, at 6-foot-4 and 355 pounds, boasts unique burst and pass-rush ability for a nose tackle. 

25. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: TE MICHAEL MAYER, NOTRE DAME

The Jaguars' offense got a great return on investment from signing Evan Engram to a one-year deal. But with 2022 being a career year for him, he might be able to find more money on the market. If they lose him, they won’t want to let that hole in the offense go unfilled. Mayer was one of the most productive players in college football in recent years, posting an 82.0 receiving grade in 2021 and an elite 91.8 receiving grade in 2022. He was targeted on 30.3% of his routes run this past season and won’t be inexperienced in whatever role the Jaguars ask him to play.

26. NEW YORK GIANTS: WR JAXON SMITH-NJIGBA, OHIO STATE

Though the Giants would love to get their hands on a go-to outside wide receiver, they simply need better all-around receiving talent. Smith-Njigba didn’t play much this past season due to a hamstring injury, but as a sophomore in 2021, he recorded an 91.2 elite receiving grade with more than 1,600 yards receiving. And that’s with Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave also on the team. He feels like a slot exclusive player, as more than 85% of his snaps came from the slot over the past two years, but he’s one of the savviest receivers and best route runners in the class.

• Sad 1

JL Skinner.  6 '4, 220 safety.  Wonder for Hurney if he would feel some Jeremy Chinn vibes from Skinner.  Hurney fell hard for Jeremy Chinn from what I read at the time, a dude I liked too and touted on the draft thread back then.   Almost the exact same size.    From what I saw I liked Chinn better than I do Skinner. 

The two games I caught didn't have a great camera angle on Skinner so I am cheating on him more than most on relying more on highlights which I typically don't do.

7 picks in his career.  I want guys who cause turnovers.  We need more of that from our backfield IMO.  It's part of the reason why i lean Gonzalez over Porter for CB #2.

Skinner seems fluid in pass coverage, backpeddles well and has good range.  Tackles with oomph, but tackles a bit high and sloppy.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

JL Skinner.  6 '4, 220 safety.  Wonder for Hurney if he would feel some Jeremy Chinn vibes from Skinner.  Hurney fell hard for Jeremy Chinn from what I read at the time, a dude I liked too and touted on the draft thread back then.   Almost the exact same size.    From what I saw I liked Chinn better than I do Skinner. 

The two games I caught didn't have a great camera angle on Skinner so I am cheating on him more than most on relying more on highlights which I typically don't do.

7 picks in his career.  I want guys who cause turnovers.  We need more of that from our backfield IMO.  It's part of the reason why i lean Gonzalez over Porter for CB #2.

Skinner seems fluid in pass coverage, backpeddles well and has good range.  Tackles with oomph, but tackles a bit high and sloppy.  

Skinner is my S2. Dude is a baller.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Cody Mauch too, I am a sucker for players who have a mean streak and can hit the 2nd level but he feels to me more guard than tackle. 

I believe I read somewhere that Mauch could get some Center snaps at the Senior Bowl.

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Overall, i think one of these dudes falls to our pick at 47. 

2nd round feels could be the sweet spot for grabbing OL.

• Like 2