Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Some Miscellaneous Film watches:

Zay Flowers, WR. Yeah. The hype is real. I have him slotted just behind JSN/Jordan Addison. My concern with him is obvious. He's tiny. Ultra tiny. 5-10 175. So this ranking is kind of based on what I think he could be with even another 10 pounds on his frame but not over projecting. Being clear, he has WR1 potential in this class. He is so smooth. He reminds me a lot of Tyreek Hill. He is a major problem on crossers. BC did a nice job getting him moving pre-snap to disrupt jams and then he took off like a rocket. Great CoD. If he adds some weight to his frame he is going to be an absolute problem. If he actually gets to 185 and keeps his speed around combine time he may be WR1 for me. He has the skillset and this is the kind of receiver that dominates the modern game. 

Currently WR3 behind Addison/JSN. 

Deonte Banks, CB. Absolute fantastic mirror technique. He's aware of coverage responsibilities and uses his hands well in coverage. He has great catch up speed. There are times in his film where he gets too nosey and comes up a little when he should be hanging with his guy that I don't love, but he is fast and has some length with his arms. I'm a big fan of his hip pocket trail technique and his feel for receivers. He seems to wind up playing receiver a lot because he feels the route. Very good awareness. He has iffy hands, but he's a corner so to be expected. I think he's a better cover guy than a guy like Kelee Ringo but I don't think he has the same mean streak. He's also more risk averse than Ringo who is sometimes risky to a fault. 

Currently CB7 between Forbes and Williams for me. He has room to rise. 

Blake Freeland, OT. Sticky and stout. I've watched him in small snips until now but this is my true watching evaluation of him and I like what I see more. He is big and intimidating and explosive with his hands. Fairly good athlete that would fit in well with this team. He has great awareness of not only what the D is doing but what the QB is doing. There was a play against Baylor where he had an edge rush come straight up the field. He initially kicked to it but as the guy started to get some space Freeland knew the QB was stepping up so he opened his hips and threw the edge forward, using his own momentum against him, and preventing a rush. He moves really well and is a fairly balanced tackle in the run and pass. If I had to pick things that I see that are a bit of a cause for concern... he lunges at faster edge rushes and he oversets on wide defenders and is susceptible to stutter and go moves. 

Currently OT3 after Broderick Jones and just before Peter Skoronski.

Speaking of OTs... I watched Skoronski again. I'm a little higher on him than I was but still need to digest him more to decide if I think he's anywhere near as good as he's being hyped to be. Again, Penn State was a rough game for him. Watched a play where a guy went right inside of him and he didn't even flinch. Maybe the responsibility was someone else's but he stuck on a double versus coming off and picking up the free runner. He's a little more mobile than I thought before and he has a mean streak in him that was more noticeable against Ohio State. I still think he whiffs too much at the second level and he breaks his base entirely too often to be the top tackle prospect. But he is very violent and I didn't see that as much before. And I do like his awareness. 

He moved up to OT4. Just ahead of Anton Harrison. But that is mostly based entirely on his size/speed and potential. His line play is often times very sloppy. 

Aidan O'Connell, QB. Not a lot to say. Good size. Doesn't have much of an arm. Ball kind of floats. You can tell he understands the game and processes well and is fairly accurate. He's not a runner, looks stiff as a passer and he doesn't make many plays off schedule. I don't think he has a NFL future.

He's last on my current list for QB. 

Will Mallory. As a Miami fan, I was putting off watching him. I've liked him for years and in a game to game basis I think he's always been a solid tight end. I just didn't want to watch him and feel meh about him. Finally did and I don't feel meh about him. I like him. He is just okay as a blocker. I think there is some room for growth there, though. He's a reliable receiver and is essentially a first down safety valve. He's not going to wow anyone with his skillset. He's steady but nothing sensational. Miami didn't use him enough as a blocker for me to get a real good feel, but I think he's willing. I just don't know how good he is at it. And if you're grading him as a receiver mostly he's a decent possession guy with good hands. Like I said, I think he's an okay blocker all things considered but not high end. 

He's currently TE5 just ahead of Musgrave. I am not big on Musgrave. I think he's injury prone. But I see the skills in him. 

Lukas Van Ness, Edge/5-tech. I think he has positional flex. He's not a traditional edge in the sense he's going to be the best pass rusher on the team, but he's not bad at it. What I like most is his trace skills. He gets pressure and a QB starts to break the pocket he gets his feet going and traces well and contains. He is solid against the run. He can play 3-technique as well. He is definitely vulnerable to the cut blocks. But I love how explosive he is. Watching him I actually noticed Jack Campbell more. I think Campbell is growing on me.

Van Ness is Edge 6 for me right now between Zach Harrison and BJ Ojulari. 

Ivan Pace, Jr., ILB. He has some of the best pass rush skills of everyone I watched, including edges. He is always around the ball. He is sideline to sideline. He is positional versatile in the sense that he can come off the edge a little bit too. He is solid in coverage. He has excellent balance as a blitzer. Keeps his base on contact. This guy is legit. There are some guys when you watch a team play that they draw all your attention. Pace is that guy for Cincinnati. 

I currently have him as LB3 between Simpson and Campbell

Shaka Heyward, ILB. Fairly short review here. He can play a little bit, no doubt. He is a disruptor in the run game when he makes the right read. But he struggles to make the right read at times and misdirection makes him look like Jon Bostic at times to me. I think he has some ability so I wouldn't say he can't make it, but he has an uphill battle. 

He is currently my last ranked LB. 

Parker Washington, WR. Not the most productive receiver in the draft. But he has good hands and is a reliable receiver who is a threat to break anything. He has a bigger catch radius than he has any business of having and he has quick feet. He catches the ball in traffic routinely and has excellent foot work and movement skills. He reminds me of a guy from last season who wound up on the Commanders by the name of Jahan Dotson. It's a Penn St receiver thing, I guess. 

I currently have him as WR7 between Boutte and Downs.

Gabe Wallace, Guard. Only one game I can find and it's against Georgia Southern. But this guy is massive. 6-6 and every bit of 330 pounds. He is a space eater and a person mover. He is aware of stunts and can come off of blocks and pick them up pretty well. He's aggressive and can move a little. I read something that says he looks more like a tackle and I kind of agree. Though I do see some laziness from him at times as well. I'm going to leave him as a guard for now. 

He's last on my IOL list for now. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2023 at 1:16 PM, Chump Bailey said:

I think TE Davis Allen Clemson will be a name to watch in the coming weeks.

I've heard some talk about him with the Senior Bowl looming.  Just watched him, reminds me some of Will Mallory who will also be at the Senior Bowl.  About the same size as Mallory, too.  I like Allen though better.  He seems a more physical player than Mallory both at the catch point and as a blocker.

6 '6, 249.  Watched two games. They move him around, backfield, slot, wide. He was in the backfield quite a bit.  Well rounded player IMO.  Can pass block.  Run block.  Not killer on either front but plenty good enough. 

Good catch radius, high points the ball, physical at the catch point.  Good at getting open underneath.  Finds the seam. Seems to have enough speed to get downfield.  Not killer on any one thing, but soild to good across the board with the potential to perhaps reach higher levels.  Well rounded player IMO. 

Among the ones i watched in that 5th round range or so I have Laporta and then Allen.  Then Mallory, Schoonmaker and then Durham who are pretty close though IMO. The combine should help seperate them.

I am back and forth on @KDawg 's point about big time TE or nothing.  I agree with the point overall.   We need a game changing one, not another C plus guy in the soup of others we have in that range. 

But I am not opposed to throwing one of these midrounders, especially if its Laporta or Allen in the mix of our TE room if they are BPA because I think they'd actually have a good shot to be TE #1 here if they develop quickly and I get that's often a tall task for a TE.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

The big time or nothing idea about TE doesn't make sense. It's Mayer and then a huge drop off IMO. Either he'll be at our pick or one of the big 3 CBs will be. 

We can still use a 5th round TE and hope he develops. I mean, there is nothing in front of him as an H-TE. Bates is a solid Y-TE.

Cameron Latu, TE, Alabama. 6 '4, 237.   Also at the Senior Bowl.  Played edge but then converted to TE so he's still learning the spot.  He's another dude likely in the mid round range who will rise or fall based on combine.  Comes off to me like he has some traits.  I like his long speed. 

Put up OK receiving numbers, 30 receptions for 376 yards, was better though the season before albiet he played more games. 

PFF gave him a "meh" run blocking grade.  Some on twitter rave about him on that front.  i think I am somewhere in between but lean positive.  He is a willing blocker, inconsistent but has moments.   Blocks in line and out of the back field.

I didn't see him make big plays vertically in the games I watched but I did see him seperate and get down the field vertically pretty quickly for a big dude.  Seperates OK but nothing special on the first level. 

The mid round range IMO has some good potential for the TE spot but again I want to see their athleticism showcased at the combine to help seperate them. 

I should not read the draftniks takes of these players. :ols:   I often look at their takes after I give my own takes.  And wow are they all over the place on their takes on these TEs, some other spots, too.  For example on Latu one thinks he's slow, another sees him as fast.  For me he looks more on the fast side, in terms of long speed.  In short spaces -- first level, he doesn't seperate that quickly. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, method man said:

I remember that year that Biadasz dropping to rd 4 was a bit of a surprise because he had a rd 2-3 grade by many. Dallas ultimately got good value by getting themselves an average starting center early Day 3. 

I think for a guy to be able to start Day 1 at the position, he needs to have a lot of experience, decent at a minimum starting functional strength and needs to be a brainiac. Schmitz and Stromberg seem to fit all three. 

This center class reminds me a bit of the QB class from last year - a lot of guys with seemingly higher floors but capped ceilings due to athletic deficiencies or something else. From a tools standpoint, Tippman seems to have the best but he is simply too tall for the position and that is going to likely hurt his upside

Yeah I felt he was a value pick but I have a vague memory of him having an injury that hurt his stock.  Might have been the reason he didn't play that much as a rookie.

I noticed there was some enthusiasm for Oluwatimi in this thread earlier in the season but it appears to have cooled off.  I don't know, I still love him.  The draftniks appear to be low on him, and I'm guessing that's because he's only 6'2 and a center-only prospect.  But that's what we'd be drafting him for.  I do think there is some Rodney Hudson in his game, even though he's not as fast as Hudson was.  He's short but he's really wide and he's so strong and he's a rock against inside power.  He's also got great feet, mirrors really well, and is constantly working his feet to keep a strong base.  Really good motor and I think he's NFL ready in Pass Pro.  Like you said, he's got a lot of starting experience with 47 straight starts at center, won the Outland, won the Rimington, and led the Joe Moore line.  Consensus All-American among other awards, and that is pretty much as decorated a college career as you can have.  He's gotta be a super smart guy too, went to the Air Force academy and graduated from UVA.

I think he's a rookie starter for us, and a good one.  Kind of feels like he'd be the perfect pick for us with that third round comp pick.

I think we could field a high end offensive line as early as next season, without relying on free agency, simply by working the draft board to get Skoronski in the first and Oluwatimi in the third (or maybe even fourth).  Maybe get Bresee in the second if he falls, and I feel like that'd be an awesome draft that would reload our lines and buttress them against all of the attrition we've been experiencing.

Brayden Willis.  I like this guy in the H-back role but I'd be ok with him at TE, too, in line. 

He doesn't even make Kiper's top 12 TEs but shows as #3 on his HB-FB chart.  He's #15 for Brugler at TE.  I like him more than Brugler does.

Looks like he's listed in the Senior Bowl as a FB -- I gather maybe HB?  If he's going in the late rounds as some are predicting, I am definitely all in on him.

He's listed now as 245.  On the short side for a TE, 6 '3 maybe that's part of the downside.   But heck Jordan Reed is 6 '2.  

The dude blocks really well and does so with gusto and a mean streak throwing dudes on the ground.  Among the TEs I've watched, outside of Darnell Washington he's the best running down the field.  Blocking, in line, off line, backfield, 2nd level. 

Saw him multiple times block one dude and then moved to another and blocked two on the same play.  On one play, he saw his QB was in trouble with an edge player bearing down on him, so Willis shifts directions and runs back and chases down the edge defender with a diving block and saves the QB from the sack.  One of the cooler plays I've seen this year watching players.  

And as a receiver he's fluid.  Average speed for a TE.   With TEs in particular, I sometimes have a harder time predicting speed than I do for TE so I like to reserve judgment until the combine.  Over 500 yards this season, one of the highest YPCs among these TEs with 13.2.  7 TDs. 

Why 'Alpha' Brayden Willis is Oklahoma's Unquestioned Leader

Coach Brent Venables says if everyone cared as much as OU's senior tight end, the Sooners could tap into their potential. "He’s what it looks like," Venables said.

Coach told me to slow down today at practice because it’s a Monday,” Willis said earlier this week as the Sooners reconvened from an open date to begin prep for Saturday’s game at Iowa State.

And who could blame Willis for going too fast? It’s what he does. And after a bye week, his fire didn’t need to be stokes.

“I’ve got my legs under me,” Willis said. “I feel good. Definitely reenergized, definitely ready to get after it.”

That’s Willis, the effervescent bundle of effort, the try-hard kid with NFL talent. When he takes the field, he sets the standard for the rest of his teammates.

“He's an Alpha, both on the field and off the field,” head coach Brent Venables said. “He cares a great deal — and literally takes that just caring a little more. If everybody cared a little more — coaches, players, you know — you could really tap into our full potential.”

Willis is a fifth-year senior from Arlington, TX, a 6-foot-4, 240-pound receiver with 56 career receptions for 796 and 11 touchdowns — who actually prefers blocking for his teammates.

“He’s a very selfless player,” Venables said. “The players feed off that. That brings out the best in everybody. He’s a great example for everyone else to follow. Players look to him and respect him and follow his lead.”

Top Ten Edge

1. Will Anderson, Alabama

2. Myles Murphy, Clemson

3. Tyree Wilson, Texas Tech

4. Lukas Van Ness, Iowa

5. Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Kansas State (severely underrated IMO)

6. BJ Ojulari, LSU

7. Isaiah McGuire, Missouri

8. Isaiah Foskey, Notre Dame

9. Zach Harrison, Ohio State

10. Keion White, Georgia Tech * Nick Hampton, App State * Jeremiah Martin, Washington * Jordan Ferguson, MTSU

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Brayden Willis.  I like this guy in the H-back role but I'd be ok with him at TE, too, in line. 

He doesn't even make Kiper's top 12 TEs but shows as #3 on his HB-FB chart.  He's #15 for Brugler at TE.  I like him more than Brugler does.

Looks like he's listed in the Senior Bowl as a FB -- I gather maybe HB?  If he's going in the late rounds as some are predicting, I am definitely all in on him.

He's listed now as 245.  On the short side for a TE, 6 '3 maybe that's part of the downside.   But heck Jordan Reed is 6 '2.  

The dude blocks really well and does so with gusto and a mean streak throwing dudes on the ground.  Among the TEs I've watched, outside of Darnell Washington he's the best running down the field.  Blocking, in line, off line, backfield, 2nd level. 

Saw him multiple times block one dude and then moved to another and blocked two on the same play.  On one play, he saw his QB was in trouble with an edge player bearing down on him, so Willis shifts directions and runs back and chases down the edge defender with a diving block and saves the QB from the sack.  One of the cooler plays I've seen this year watching players.  

And as a receiver he's fluid.  Average speed for a TE.   With TEs in particular, I sometimes have a harder time predicting speed than I do for TE so I like to reserve judgment until the combine.  Over 500 yards this season, one of the highest YPCs among these TEs with 13.2.  7 TDs. 

Why 'Alpha' Brayden Willis is Oklahoma's Unquestioned Leader

Coach Brent Venables says if everyone cared as much as OU's senior tight end, the Sooners could tap into their potential. "He’s what it looks like," Venables said.

Coach told me to slow down today at practice because it’s a Monday,” Willis said earlier this week as the Sooners reconvened from an open date to begin prep for Saturday’s game at Iowa State.

And who could blame Willis for going too fast? It’s what he does. And after a bye week, his fire didn’t need to be stokes.

“I’ve got my legs under me,” Willis said. “I feel good. Definitely reenergized, definitely ready to get after it.”

That’s Willis, the effervescent bundle of effort, the try-hard kid with NFL talent. When he takes the field, he sets the standard for the rest of his teammates.

“He's an Alpha, both on the field and off the field,” head coach Brent Venables said. “He cares a great deal — and literally takes that just caring a little more. If everybody cared a little more — coaches, players, you know — you could really tap into our full potential.”

Willis is a fifth-year senior from Arlington, TX, a 6-foot-4, 240-pound receiver with 56 career receptions for 796 and 11 touchdowns — who actually prefers blocking for his teammates.

“He’s a very selfless player,” Venables said. “The players feed off that. That brings out the best in everybody. He’s a great example for everyone else to follow. Players look to him and respect him and follow his lead.”

Man crush engage! Wowsers.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Nathaniel Dell.  Shifty as heck.  Fun watch.   The Cincy game was painful to watch, their QB Clayton Tune was battered.  More about him in my next post, he wasn't on my radar until that game. 

Dell can return too hence my interest,  108 catches, 1399 yards, 17 TDs.  For those concerned about later breakouts, its not the case with him, good season 1 and monster season 2 leading up to this season. 

Small dude so I think he will end up in the mid rounds perhaps like another small dude I touted in this draft Parker Washington.  Good hands, seperates quickly underneath, a menance with the ball in his hands.  In the pros, he's be a slot WR and returner.  Playmaker.

As far as a mid rounder QB project as I've stressed for years, I am team Jake Haener.  But as a late QB project, I wasn't looking for one but stumbled on one accidently is Clayton Tune while watching Tank Dell.   I've watched Duggan in real time, i haven't spent any time rewatching him to decide on him, maybe i'll get to that soon. 

I am actually a tough sell typically on QBs, not a big late round roll the dice guy.  But I am a sucker for QBs with size and mobility.  He's not big, but plenty big enough, 6 '3, 220.  Older prospect 23 going to be 24, that doesn't bother me the way it bothers some others.  Kirk was an older prospect, too.

Cincy beat the crap out of him in that game, they were blowing up his offensive line.  He was running for his life.  But I was impressed with his toughness and mobility. 

His stats are sick, over 4000 yards, 40 TDS, 8.2 YPA.  67% completion percentage.  Almost 80% in adjusrt completion perfectage from PFF.  546 rushing yards -- 4.2 average.  Rushed for 20 TDs in his career.

He has good ball handiling with the RO-RPOs.  Has good arm strength, not great.  Wonder about pocket presence.  But to my eyes he has some baller in him. 

Air Raid system, some sloppy mechanics, plays a bit hero ball.  But as a project, I like what I saw.  I don't care enough to watch multiple games though, just watched 2 and I wasn't squarely focused on hin but saw enough to be intrigued and then read about him.  I am surprised some wonder about his athleticism.    To me the dude looks like he runs i'd guess 4.7 with good vision. 

https://www.papercitymag.com/culture/clayton-tune-houston-leadership-quarterback-improvements-hoglorsen-captains/

“I’ve seen him develop on and off the field,” Hypolite says. “He’s more vocal now. He’s making his presence really known as far as like him being a leader with the way he talks to the guys around him. And trying to make everyone better.”

This includes those late evening offseason workout sessions organized by Tune. It’s just Tune and the receivers and running backs, with no coaches around, working on routes. And their craft. Trying to make sure they get the details right.

“I drive past the school on like Thursdays at 7’o’clock at night,” Hypolite shares. “I see him, Tank (Dell), other receivers’ cars outside the indoor. They’re getting in extra work and stuff. I feel like as far as being a pro, he’s grown better.”

University of Houston coach Dana Holgorsen can see that too. But Holgorsen seems determined to make sure that Tune doesn’t try to take on the whole burden himself. Being a quarterback at the high Division I level is hard enough without piling extra things onto it.

Like feeling that you’re completely responsible for making sure UH lives up to its preseason billing. Which includes being picked to win the league by one vote over Cincinnati in the preseason poll. (Luke Fickell’s Bearcats actually received more first place votes than UH — 10 to 7 — with third place UCF also matching the Cougars’ seven first place votes). The expectations have some Houston fans even imagining a berth in the still four team college football playoffs.

https://www.papercitymag.com/culture/clayton-tune-deserves-love-houston-fans-dana-holgorsen-nfl-temple/

A lot of quarterbacks in Tune’s position would think they’ve already learned everything they can in college. But Tune drilled down in the midst of UH’s struggles, worked on his pocket presence and awareness and made himself better. That bodes well for his football future.

It also reinforces just how much this all means to him.

“It’s just a competitive focus I would say,” Tune says. “Really in anything I do, I want to be as good as I can at it. Especially in a sport like football where it’s a team game and you’ve got so many people counting on you.

“Not only am I doing it for me. But I’m doing it for a bunch of other guys and coaches and fans. So that’s where that comes in. I just want to be the best player I can be.”

Clayton Tune and the Drive to Get Better

Tune is still turning himself into a better quarterback, even 10,000 plus yards into his Houston career....

Tune’s handled it all with remarkable grace and a calm nature. I’ve never him raise his voice off the field or be anything but polite to questioners and the people he encounters.

Tune went on to explain that when he devotes that extra time to his craft, he can really get into the details of improvements and how the small changes yield big results.

“I think my footwork is definitely cleaned up,” Tune said. “That’s something that I would say before — I didn’t have an identity in my footwork. Like, I was just out there, doing what felt natural and not timing it up to certain routes. I feel like that’s something that I’ve found is footwork that I like and tying it up to certain routes.

As far as throwing motion goes, I’ve been working with my quarterback trainer, and we’ve just kind of cleaned everything up. I’m a natural thrower of the ball, but there’s a lot of small nuances of throwing a football that people don’t really know about. And that’s something I’ve kind of honed in on and tried to focus on cleaning up and being as efficient as possible.

The sensei for Tune’s improved look and technique is Brad Stanfield, a quarterback based out of Katy, Texas. But Stanfield isn’t the only one with his hands on Tune’s development. After all, his head coach is Dana Holgorsen, one of the pillars of the Air Raid movement in college football over the last two decades. 

“[Holgorsen’s] a great guy, a great coach,” Tune said. “Obviously, a very smart, great offensive mind, so it’s good. He’s got a lot of concepts that he’s been running for years, and he’s not one of those guys that’s just so set in his ways that he doesn’t evolve. The game is evolving, so he’s had to evolve some of the things that he’s done in the past… Everyone on the staff is really creative, and they have a lot of experience with offensive football. It’s great to learn from those guys and see what goes into game-planning and offensive football in general.

“Something that I wasn’t too keen on coming into college was fronts in the box, and how that affects coverages and what not. That’s something that I’ve definitely learned in my time is just learning fronts, different techniques and different coverages. It’s all a numbers game, so learning the numbers in the box and how that affects coverages — one-high, two-high, the way corners play different leverages and techniques. That’s definitely stuff that I’ve learned since being in college, and then I’ve just expanded on my offensive knowledge of football.”

Tune has gone from a player who, in his own words, just kind of showed up and threw the ball to a young man who puts plenty of preparation into his craft. He understands why pointing his feet in a certain direction helps with accuracy and how adjusting his throwing motion gets the ball out quicker and faster. He’s even calling out protection adjustments at the line of scrimmage now, along with his center.

If you dig into some of Tune’s PFF Premium Stats, you’ll see that those are up as well. One that sticks out the most is his ratio of “big-time throws” versus his “turnover-worthy plays,” two metrics that give deep context to a TD-INT ratio. 

• Like 3

Some more miscellaneous watches: 

Saw SIP's write up about Brayden Willis and decided to go watch him. I'm not as into him as the others here it seems. That said, I think he has a skillset that can translate to the NFL and he can be a guy who the team/fans like and adds an element. First, I notice Oklahoma doesn't intend to use him a ton. His most usage comes from banana blocking on the backside of a slide or zone scheme. He's not very fast but probably fast enough as a chain mover. He definitely has some soft hands on him and he makes a lot of effort on his blocks, though I don't view him as a "good" blocker, it's clear that he does enough to prevent defenders from getting to the QB in pass pro. But he has a ton of effort. He's quicker than he is fast. I think he's a puzzle piece for a team, but not the code to solve it, if that makes sense. I talked about WIll Mallory yesterday and I think he's better as a receiver but not as good as a blocker. Willis' upside is absolutely his effort. Watched a play against UTEP where he blocked a guy near the LoS, saw a free defender down field and he threw on the after burners, caught up to the ball carrier and blocked the free defender at almost the third level. You love seeing that. This guy absolutely has a NFL future.

Currently he's my TE7, which is my current last rank. Having said that, I think he has some potential to move up a bit. Maybe even over Musgrave and Mallory. I tend to move guys who can block further up the board as we get closer to the draft. We'll see. 

Mazi Smith, DT. I really liked Ika from Baylor as a nose and valued his athleticism for such a big man. Mazi isn't as athletic. Mazi also doesn't play with great eye discipline, especially pre-snap. He's a little jumpy. He's also not as good of a mover. He exists for one thing... but he is very good at that one thing... he takes up blockers. He has to be accounted for. He plays with a fantastic wide base. It's hard to move him, though he does get moved at times. Saw a few plays where Wypler was moving him one on one against Ohio State, and actually improved my view of Wypler. He has a couple of nice pass rush moves, a push/pull was used a few times. But he doesn't get a ton of separation because he is so heavy in his movements. 

Mazi Smith is DT8 between Gervon Dexter and Jacquelin Roy. 

Kyu Blu Kelly, CB. He's physical at the LoS. He likes to get in and jam receivers, but he's only 185 pounds. He'll need to get bigger to play that style in the NFL. The first play I watched of him he went in for a tackle and he left his feet and his eyes were literally looking down into the turf. He struggles to get off of blocks, too. He's a guy I'll come back to later but for now not all that impressed. 

Kelly is currently last on my corner list. 

Clark Philips III. CB/S. Philips was a corner for Utah. But something that sticks out is that they liked to play him high in coverage packages. Letting him react to the ball versus shadow a receiver and stay in phase. That tells me they played him there because they needed a corner that could play the ball and they thought they had good enough safeties to move him. I think it's clear that Clark Philips III is a safety at the next level. He has incredible break speed. When he sees a receiver break out on a route he t-steps and breaks like he is shot out of a cannon. He puts his body in good positions to cover the routes being run, even when he does play a little closer to the LoS. If he's not a safety he's a nickel corner. I wouldn't want him one on one with bigger receivers on the perimeter, but he can cover slots. He keeps his eyes up when tackling, too. 

I currently have him at S5 between Ji'yair Brown and Antonio Johnson. Room for him to move up a bit. 

Tui Tuipulotu, Edge. He has tremendous acceleration that makes up for it even if he doesn't get off the ball well, but he seems to get off the ball well. He has a great stutter move and he has a fantastic feel/sense. Against Washington State he gave that stutter and he watched the OLs helmet drop and he went for the wrist and slid right by for the sack. He has absolutely phenomenal bend down the LoS. Part of that is his responsibility as an end... he is a spill defender a lot. Which means he doesn't have to contain and he can bend. That is his alley and skillset. He also traces well on screens. This guy can play. 

He slots in at Edge6 between Zach Harrison and Lukas Van Ness.

Darnell Wright. It's hard to detail him. He's stout against a bull rush and is fine getting out into space to pick up a faster edge rusher. He also has some power as a run blocker. And he locks on defenders well. He gets a narrow base at times in drive blocks and plays with a violent punch. But something I see with him is that he plays to his assignment and doesn't play with his eyes. People may say, "well, yeah, he needs to play his assignment" and I won't disagree. But when defenders react in a way that his assignment should change he has trouble reacting to it. He will react but it's late. He is going to his assignment on instinct rather than react while knowing his assignment... that tells me that he doesn't have a high  adjustment IQ but he seems to have a good football IQ. I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me... but that's how I see it. 

He is currently my OT9 between Zion Nelson and Tyler Steen, but he is another that I need to digest more and has room for movement. Especially because Nelson's placement is entirely based on potential. 

Daiyan Henley, LB. I notice he has tremendous lane discipline and I think that's why some don't love him in the draftnik community. What I mean by that: He knows his job in his run fits. He can be aggressive on the interior and fill his gap, but on plays where he is scraping to the sideline he keeps himself on the ball carrier's inside hip if there is outside force help. That forces the ballcarrier to make a decision: continue to the edge and get strung out and the sideline becomes a defender or cut back and into Henley. That is a skill that Kam Curl has for us that I admire quite a bit, and has led to a lot of people not understanding just how vital Curl has been. He reacts well to the ball and is a damned good coverage off-ball backer. He also makes tremendously fast cloudy/clear reads and fills the hole. He is ball aware. He is athletic. He navigates traffic incredibly well. He is incredible at handling misdirection with his change of direction skills. He's a gap shooter/blitzer and he isn't going to be as effective on the edge... most OTs length would eat him alive. But using him situationally there can catch teams off guard and he is explosive enough to make an impact. I think this guy could start on a NFL team on day 1 if he gets to ~240 pounds. 

Henley is my current LB4 between Pace Jr and Campbell. 

Another guy I saw above: Nathaniel Dell, WR. He's quick. His footwork is his absolute greatest asset. He has really soft hands, too. He's fearless and productive. He is also an awesome return man who has vision and shiftiness and can fit himself into small holes and accelerate through. The thing holding him back is how small he is. This guy is the definition of tiny. You don't notice it as much against the DBs he's going against while playing at Houston, but when he stands next to bigger DBs or his own linemen he looks like a middle schooler in comparison. SKills wise he's among the better receivers in the draft. Production wise he's among the better receivers in the draft. But going into the NFL at his size he has a lot to prove. I believe he is a Senior Bowl guy... that is going to be a really big event for his draft stock. Dell is listed at 5-10 165... he looks about 5-7, 150 on film. Senior Bowl week is big for him in a lot of ways. 

Another receiver: Jalen Morendo Cropper. He's not as quick as other slot types and I'm not sure how fast he is. He's smooth, tracks well and he isn't afraid of contact in traffic so he will go catch a ball in the middle without blinking. But he doesn't get separation against college DBs. But if he has a QB that hits him in stride like he did in college he is a YAC threat because of his vision more than his athleticism. I'm not down on him at all but he needs a certain situation and usage to be effective in the NFL. 

EDIT: After I posted this, Moreno Cropper was the last guy I took a look at. But YouTube moved to highlights of Charlie Jones from Purdue... and I watched them for a bit and then sought out some games. Charlie Jones is a player, man. This guy is shifty as hell, finds zones and sits in them, has great hands, adjusts to the ball well and can manipulate defenders while the ball is in the air. Has great contact balance. Incredible concentration and damn good CoD. He seems faster AFTER he catches the ball. Apparently he has legitimate 4.3 speed per some draft sites. That explains how fast he looks after the catch, but his routes don't look that speed so he is deceiving. He had 1,361 yards this year and 12 TDs on PURDUE. Against Michigan in the Big 12 championship game he had 13 receptions for 162 yards. This guy is an animal. I slept on him/haven't even heard of him. But wow. Look him up. 

I have Charlie Jones as WR4 between Zay Flowers and Quentin Johnston.

Right now Dell is WR9 between Hyatt and Boutte. Moreno-Cropper is WR12 and currently last on my list. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Some more miscellaneous watches: 

Saw SIP's write up about Brayden Willis and decided to go watch him. I'm not as into him as the others here it seems. That said, I think he has a skillset that can translate to the NFL and he can be a guy who the team/fans like and adds an element. First, I notice Oklahoma doesn't intend to use him a ton. His most usage comes from banana blocking on the backside of a slide or zone scheme. He's not very fast but probably fast enough as a chain mover. He definitely has some soft hands on him and he makes a lot of effort on his blocks, though I don't view him as a "good" blocker, it's clear that he does enough to prevent defenders from getting to the QB in pass pro. But he has a ton of effort. He's quicker than he is fast. I think he's a puzzle piece for a team, but not the code to solve it, if that makes sense. I talked about WIll Mallory yesterday and I think he's better as a receiver but not as good as a blocker. Willis' upside is absolutely his effort. Watched a play against UTEP where he blocked a guy near the LoS, saw a free defender down field and he threw on the after burners, caught up to the ball carrier and blocked the free defender at almost the third level. You love seeing that. This guy absolutely has a NFL future.

IMO Brayden's super power as a blocker is motoring down the field on the 2nd level.  He's the best I've seen among the TEs on that front sans Darnell Washington.

He also has a selfless approach to it and a nasty streak that you see at times.  But again, i am referencing who I like in the context of draft value, in his case I mentioned late rounds.  Someone like Mallory is likely going earlier.

Darnell Wright. It's hard to detail him. He's stout against a bull rush and is fine getting out into space to pick up a faster edge rusher. He also has some power as a run blocker. And he locks on defenders well. He gets a narrow base at times in drive blocks and plays with a violent punch. But something I see with him is that he plays to his assignment and doesn't play with his eyes. People may say, "well, yeah, he needs to play his assignment" and I won't disagree. But when defenders react in a way that his assignment should change he has trouble reacting to it. He will react but it's late. He is going to his assignment on instinct rather than react while knowing his assignment... that tells me that he doesn't have a high  adjustment IQ but he seems to have a good football IQ. I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me... but that's how I see it. 

He is currently my OT9 between Zion Nelson and Tyler Steen, but he is another that I need to digest more and has room for movement. Especially because Nelson's placement is entirely based on potential. 

I liked Darnell better than that but I have to go back and review what I wrote as to why.  I've been watching a lot this week and narratives started to blend in my head. :ols:

Kyu Blu Kelly, CB. He's physical at the LoS. He likes to get in and jam receivers, but he's only 185 pounds. He'll need to get bigger to play that style in the NFL. The first play I watched of him he went in for a tackle and he left his feet and his eyes were literally looking down into the turf. He struggles to get off of blocks, too. He's a guy I'll come back to later but for now not all that impressed. 

It's funny you say that.  I started watching him at two different times and then stopped and told myself to go back to him later.  I wasn't impressed and liked some dudes ranked as lesser players by draftniks a clear peg better so I figured I was watching the wrong games and decided to watch him again later.  I'll probably do it this weekend.  

Henley is my current LB4 between Pace Jr and Campbell. 

I got to see what you wrote about Pace Jr.  I wrote up about Pace Jr, I think about 6 weeks or so ago here. He really jumped out to me and his stats are really good. 

Among other things, the dude will bring some good pass rushing chops on blitzes.  He's a dude who has almost no hype from draftniks so I speculated then is there something I am missing?  So good to see you like him, too.  Not a lot of company on him from the media draftniks.  He didn't even make Kiper's list and he ranked 13 LBs.   

Kiper among others has Dorian Williams ranked high who I've tried to dig.  He looks the part.  He's a ball of energy.  Really fluid when he backpeddles and looks decent against the pass.  But against the run or rushing the passer he from what I observed doesn't shed that well and seems to find his way to get lost in traffic.  Again maybe i got to watch more. 

Another guy I saw above: Nathaniel Dell, WR. He's quick. His footwork is his absolute greatest asset. He has really soft hands, too. He's fearless and productive. He is also an awesome return man who has vision and shiftiness and can fit himself into small holes and accelerate through. The thing holding him back is how small he is. This guy is the definition of tiny. You don't notice it as much against the DBs he's going against while playing at Houston, but when he stands next to bigger DBs or his own linemen he looks like a middle schooler in comparison. SKills wise he's among the better receivers in the draft. Production wise he's among the better receivers in the draft. But going into the NFL at his size he has a lot to prove. I believe he is a Senior Bowl guy... that is going to be a really big event for his draft stock. Dell is listed at 5-10 165... he looks about 5-7, 150 on film. Senior Bowl week is big for him in a lot of ways. 

I like Dell.  I also like Parker Washington who I wrote up something a few days back, I see you like Parker, too.  I think their size will likely make them mid rounders.

I am about to write up something on another smallish WR who can return kicks.   Seems like there are a bunch of these guys in the draft.

I am doubting this team touches WR early in the draft but they might in the mid rounds.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

IMO Brayden's super power as a blocker is motoring down the field on the 2nd level.  He's the best I've seen among the TEs on that front sans Darnell Washington.

He also has a selfless approach to it and a nasty streak that you see at times.  But again, i am referencing who I like in the context of draft value, in his case I mentioned late rounds.  Someone like Mallory is likely going earlier.

I liked Darnell better than that but I have to go back and review what I wrote as to why.  I've been watching a lot this week and narratives started to blend in my head. :ols:

It's funny you say that.  I started watching him at two different times and then stopped and told myself to go back to him later.  I wasn't impressed and liked some dudes ranked as lesser players by draftniks a clear peg better so I figured I was watching the wrong games and decided to watch him again later.  I'll probably do it this weekend.  

I got to see what you wrote about Pace Jr.  I wrote up about Pace Jr, I think about 6 weeks or so ago here. He really jumped out to me in his stats are really good. 

Among other things, the dude will bring some good pass rushing chops on blitzes.  He's a dude who has almost no hype from draftniks so I speculated then is there something am missing?  So good to see you like him, too.  Not a lot of company on him from the media draftniks.  He didn't even make Kiper's list, he ranked 13 LBs.   

He has Dorian Willaims ranked high who I've tried to dig.  He looks the part.  He's a ball of energy.  Really fluid when he backpeddles and looks decent against the pass.  But against the run or rushing the passer he from what I observed doesn't shed that well and seems to find his way to get lost in traffic.  Again maybe i got to watch more. 

I like Dell.  I also like Parker Washington who I wrote up something a few days back, I see you like Parker, too.  I think there size will likely make them mid rounders.

I am about to write up something on another smallish WR who can return kickers.   Seems like there are a bunch of these guys in the draft.

I am doubting this team touches WR early in the draft but they might in the mid rounds.  

Agree on Brayden's effort being his value.

Kyu Blu Kelly just doesn't seem to have NFL traits or awareness. But I do like his willingness to press. That's tough to teach. I think he's a project type that can grow but he's not a guy that I think can come in ready to go. 

Loved Pace, Jr. He was in my writeup yesterday. But I liked Henley almost as much. Some of these LBs are slept on. Agree with Dorian Williams, too. He's a guy I've started on and stopped a bunch of times.

I just edited the post from this AM to include Charlie Jones. VERY impressed with him. Check that out and then watch him at your earliest convenience. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Agree on Brayden's effort being his value.

Kyu Blu Kelly just doesn't seem to have NFL traits or awareness. But I do like his willingness to press. That's tough to teach. I think he's a project type that can grow but he's not a guy that I think can come in ready to go. 

Loved Pace, Jr. He was in my writeup yesterday. But I liked Henley almost as much. Some of these LBs are slept on. Agree with Dorian Williams, too. He's a guy I've started on and stopped a bunch of times.

I just edited the post from this AM to include Charlie Jones. VERY impressed with him. Check that out and then watch him at your earliest convenience. 

I've seen some hype about Charlie.  I'll watch him.   One of my brother in laws went to Purdue and is a fan of the team so I get an earful from time to time about that school. 

I haven't watched Henley yet but he's on my to do list as well.  I am trying to go as deep as I can pre-Senior Bowl on players playing there at positions of need to help me digest what I see.  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've seen some hype about Charlie.  I'll watch him.   One of my brother in laws went to Purdue and is a fan of the team so I get an earful from time to time about that school. 

I haven't watched Henley yet but he's on my to do list as well.  I am trying to go as deep as I can pre-Senior Bowl on players playing there at positions of need to help me digest what I see.  

I was going to pull up the senior bowl roster and go through it today/tomorrow as my next list of guys to watch. Good idea for sure. 

• Like 1

I've been on team joey Porter Jr for a bit, and I haven't seen anything to convince me he shouldn't be the pick if he somehow makes it to 16.  He seems to have it all: ability to play both man and zone, height and wingspan, speed, ball skills, physicality, pedigree, good film in one of the toughest conferences (although he was rarely contested as last year went on) etc.  

I understand how some ppl would wait on cb bc we have done such a good job of finding dback gems in later rounds,  but cb being a premium position, I feel if there is a prospect that checks all those boxes available in the mid 1st, and could be a true #1 cb for a decade, you run to the podium and thank the sweet lord.

Unfortunately, I think after the combine / draft process, teams won't allow him to escape the top 10.

Am I missing anything with Porter?  

8 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I've been on team joey Porter Jr for a bit, and I haven't seen anything to convince me he shouldn't be the pick if he somehow makes it to 16.  He seems to have it all: ability to play both man and zone, height and wingspan, speed, ball skills, physicality, pedigree, good film in one of the toughest conferences (although he was rarely contested as last year went on) etc.  

I understand how some ppl would wait on cb bc we have done such a good job of finding dback gems in later rounds,  but cb being a premium position, I feel if there is a prospect that checks all those boxes available in the mid 1st, and could be a true #1 cb for a decade, you run to the podium and thank the sweet lord.

Unfortunately, I think after the combine / draft process, teams won't allow him to escape the top 10.

I don’t think you’re missing anything on Porter. He’s very good. I think Witherspoon is better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Yeah JPJ is my guy too. There is just such a strong track record for guys whos dads played in the NFL in recent years. Pat Surtain jr. JC Horn. Asante Samuel jr. Antoine Winfield jr. etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Tui Tuipulotu, Edge. He has tremendous acceleration that makes up for it even if he doesn't get off the ball well, but he seems to get off the ball well. He has a great stutter move and he has a fantastic feel/sense. Against Washington State he gave that stutter and he watched the OLs helmet drop and he went for the wrist and slid right by for the sack. He has absolutely phenomenal bend down the LoS. Part of that is his responsibility as an end... he is a spill defender a lot. Which means he doesn't have to contain and he can bend. That is his alley and skillset. He also traces well on screens. This guy can play. 

I had a hard time ranking the Edge guys. It confuses me how they are grouped at times. Some are better suited inside e.g. Mike Morris, Michigan. I was waiting for Tui later when I do the IDL group. Guys like Derrick Hall & Nolan Smith I see as great rotational or 3-4 OLB's, but not every down Edge guys at the NFL level. I'm still learning these things. Hall in particular could be special in an off ball type role.

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I think a couple pieces of pushback are there are questions on whether he has Surtain II like All Pro upside and that this draft has a ton of outside corner talent that will be taken on Day 2/early Day 3 who will start. Tactically, for this team, you don’t need to cut Fuller - you can afford to have a guy sit behind BSJ and Fuller as the third outside corner for a year.

That being said, I do think JPJ is potentially one of the safest picks at #16 if he is there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, method man said:

I think a couple pieces of pushback are there are questions on whether he has Surtain II like All Pro upside and that this draft has a ton of outside corner talent that will be taken on Day 2/early Day 3 who will start. Tactically, for this team, you don’t need to cut Fuller - you can afford to have a guy sit behind BSJ and Fuller as the third outside corner for a year.

That being said, I do think JPJ is potentially one of the safest picks at #16 if he is there

This is a good way of putting Joey Porter. I think he’s safer than Witherspoon and will still be a good pro at minimum. I think Witherspoon has higher upside but a little more “dangerous” than Porter. But it’s not really out of whack to me.

But I get why some rank Porter higher. Some draft on safe pick/rank that way. I tend to lean more towards risk/reward. Though there are times I highly value “safe”

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1