Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

There are a CRAP TON of safety prospects and no way in hell I am going to cull through them but there are some interesting prospects:

Now, unless these guys blow up their test numbers they are all likely day 3/UDFA types but here they are.

• Jalen Green, Mississippi State 
  • Kenderick Duncan Jr., Louisville (Too premature a lot of bad tape)
  • Ja'Von Hicks, Cincinnati 
Edited by Chump Bailey

Looks pretty fluid for a 6'5 guy. Haven't watched anything about him and don't remember him being mentioned here a lot. What's the take on him?

Just from his athletic profile, could be someone who could replace Cam Sims and could be a nice redzone target with some route-running upside?!

7 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Man, Brian Branch looks like a future star.  Everything I can find of him is spectacular.  I didn't realize he was so good.

I think there is a shot he's the pick at 16.  Basically slot-safety but more slot. Washington put McCain in this role this season.   Branch is obviously a lot better.

Played the same role as Minkah Fitzpatrick at Alabama.   Loved Fitzpatrick.  For some reason watching Branch I don't love him as much but i like him a lot.  PFF loves him, like Witherspoon, Branch has through the roof PFF scores.

Had three sacks but seems when I watched him to just dart at the QB without much of a plan but granted sacks isn't his job.  Insane tackler for a dude his size.  You can stick him at slot, the opponent can play 11 personnel and you wouldn't lose a beat against the pass or the run.  So he's the ideal nickel player for today's NFL.

IMO Christopher Smith who I recently referenced as a poor man's Branch has similar qualities though he was used more as a FS than slot compared to Branch but Branch is definitely the better player of the two. 

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 6.33.01 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Didn't realize that illinois had another really good player in the secondary.  Sydney Brown, safety:  6 '0, 205.  He's a fun watch.  Fast.  On the freaks list, too.   Canadian like St. Juste.  I read a couple of articles about him, comes off like a good dude, smart.

IMO good play recognition skills in both the passing and running game.  Really active player.   6 picks.  Played in the slot, FS, and in the box, blitzes. 

A bit grabby in coverage, misses some tackles.  Can be bullied in the box by big O lineman.

But overall, I dig his game.  3rd round?

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 7.01.35 AM.png

8 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Man, Brian Branch looks like a future star.  Everything I can find of him is spectacular.  I didn't realize he was so good.

My S1. Only guy capable of stopping me from putting Skinner at S1.

Perfect hybrid/Buffalo Nickel for this defense. 

• Like 2

Just to make it confusing, another Brown at safety who is a good player.  Ji-Ayir Brown.  And he is also on the freaks list.  Watched 3 games.  1 of the games was from 2021 where he didn't look as good to me.

Play maker. 4 picks.  4.5 sacks.  2 forced fumbles.

Modern day chess piece safety. Plays deep, including single high.  In the box.  Nickle.  blitzes.

Physical player albiet whiffs on some tackles.  Tackling technique seems inconsistent and doesn't wrap and finish his tackles the way I'd like.  But also makes some fun diving tackles.  Good ball skills, made a really nice pick, wasn't an easy one in the game I watched.   Looks fluid in pass coverage,  Also like the other Brown, 3rd roundish value?

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 7.56.40 AM.png

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

DJ with his first edition of his top 50:

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2023-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-1-0

Some interesting placements:

1). Bijon at 4, Witherspoon at 5 (no way he is going to be there at 16), Keion White at 8, Kincaid at 9, Darnell Washington at 17, Mayer at 26, Tippman at 27 (IOL), JSN at 31, Bressee at 43

His top 50 always feels transgressive at first, but then the draftnik consensus will often shift to be more aligned with it.

His DL and TE rankings feel a little crazy though.  I'm a Georgia Tech fan and there is just no ****ing way Keion White is as good as Murphy and Bresee are.  He's been in college long enough to get a law degree, and was like the third best player on a mediocre defense.  Those other two are ultra-blue chippers who were the star players on elite defenses and are destined for NFL pro-bowls.  Murphy looks like a more explosive version of Trey Hendrickson, he is a terrifying match up.

I've been closely following the Utah TEs for a few years because I've been a fan of the players in their program, and I really like Dalton Kincaid, but there is no ****ing way he's better than Mayer.  I also follow the Georgia program pretty closely because it is all they talk about on sports radio down here and they are on TV every weekend, so I've heard all about Darnell Washington and seen him a bunch of times.  Any team that picks Washington over Mayer is dumb.  Yes, I understand he's a mountain.  I understand he can truck DBs and small linebackers on outside runs.  But the dude has clumsy hands and is an infantile route runner.  Georgia never threw him the ball because he has no skill or development as a receiver at all.  That is one of the most TE friendly offenses in CFB and he gave them nothing as a passing game weapon.  Mayer is a transcendent TE prospect who was the best player and #1 target on his team when he was like 19 years old.  He is probably going to be the rare TE who is a dangerous weapon for an NFL offense right out of the box.  Meanwhile, a team is going to spend a first round pick on Darnell Washington to get his 400 yards a season, and every year they'll be thinking "this is the year when Darnell finally learns how to run routes."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

His top 50 always feels transgressive at first, but then the draftnik consensus will often shift to be more aligned with it.

His DL and TE rankings feel a little crazy though.  I'm a Georgia Tech fan and there is just no ****ing way Keion White is as good as Murphy and Bresee are.  He's been in college long enough to get a law degree, and was like the third best player on a mediocre defense.  Those other two are ultra-blue chippers who were the star players on elite defenses and are destined for NFL pro-bowls.  Murphy looks like a more explosive version of Trey Hendrickson, he is a terrifying match up.

I've been closely following the Utah TEs for a few years because I've been a fan of the players in their program, and I really like Dalton Kincaid, but there is no ****ing way he's better than Mayer.  I also follow the Georgia program pretty closely because it is all they talk about on sports radio down here and they are on TV every weekend, so I've heard all about Darnell Washington and seen him a bunch of times.  Any team that picks Washington over Mayer is dumb.  Yes, I understand he's a mountain.  I understand he can truck DBs and small linebackers on outside runs.  But the dude has clumsy hands and is an infantile route runner.  Georgia never threw him the ball because he has no skill or development as a receiver at all.  That is one of the most TE friendly offenses in CFB and he gave them nothing as a passing game weapon.  Mayer is a transcendent TE prospect who was the best player and #1 target on his team when he was like 19 years old.  He is probably going to be the rare TE who is a dangerous weapon for an NFL offense right out of the box.  Meanwhile, a team is going to spend a first round pick on Darnell Washington to get his 400 yards a season, and every year they'll be thinking "this is the year when Darnell finally learns how to run routes."

I’ve just hope Mayer falls to 16 and we grab him.  I don’t think the top 3 tackles will be there.  Are teams thinking Bijon is an elite talent in this draft?  I wonder if some team says screw it and takes him.  Like NE has good backs, but BB could say this guy is elite.

Just went through DJ's list.  Wow.

Lol among the 2nd tier TEs his top two favs are mine, too:  Laporta and D. Allen but i don't see him going that high.  If you run his board they are going iby the mid 2nd.  to me they feel late third but i like them both.

I thought I was higher than most on D. Wright based on early mocks.  But it feels like that's not the case.  He seems late first-early 2nd in what i've seen of late.  DJ has him at 32.

I like Tippman but 27. Wow. 

I used to think I like Darnell Washington more than most but see my point about D. Wright, the draftniks are higher on him than I initially thought.

I like Kincaid, don't love him but I guess I need to watch him again.  DJ clearly loves him.

For all those here who poo poo TEs early, DJ's top 50 board among other things I've read is a nightmare to that sentiment. 

5 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Syndey Brown's twin brother, running back Chase Brown, was the face of the Illinois program this year.   Chase ran for 1643 yards this past season.  That said while Chase got the media attention in college, it looks like Syndey may be considered the better NFL prospect.

I didn't watch Chase but read two articles about Sydney that talked about Chase at the same time.

Chase also made the freaks list.

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 1.35.06 PM.png

21 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I’ve just hope Mayer falls to 16 and we grab him.  I don’t think the top 3 tackles will be there.  Are teams thinking Bijon is an elite talent in this draft?  I wonder if some team says screw it and takes him.  Like NE has good backs, but BB could say this guy is elite.

I don't know.  I think there is a lot of consensus for the notion that he is in the mock draft community.  And I don't think we're going to get any drill/workout numbers from him that might contradict that take.  Personally, I have some questions about his speed, but I don't think he's going to run any of the drills and we're not really going to know how fast he is.

My own take on him is complicated.  Maybe there isn't a lot of daylight between my take of "he's a definite first round talent and the best back in the class, but is like a 20s caliber pick" and the take that he's one of the top 5 players in the class.  But it feels like there is a meaningful distinction there to me.  I'm saying I don't think he's on the level that Saquon and McCaffrey were as prospects, which is what I think it should take for a back to get that top 5 love.  I'm saying he's more in line with a Najee Harris or Travis Etienne caliber prospect, both of whom I loved BTW.  In other words, he's a strong bet to be a pro-bowler and a dangerous offensive weapon, but not necessarily a strong bet to be the best running back in the league one day, as Saquon and McCaffrey were.

But I do see some merits in the case for him being a transcendent back and one of the elite talents of the class.  It did seem like he was either the best player or at least one of the best players in every game he played this season, even when he got bottled up by Alabama.  You could still sense the anxiety of what he might do on all of his snaps in the Alabama defense and sideline, and the couple of big plays he sprung were clear demonstrations of special playmaking ability, especially that deep catch along the sidelines.  He seemed like every bit the impact-level star that Bryce Young and Will Anderson were.  And the Texas offense looked like total garbage in the bowl game when he sat out.  And the things that are special about him--strength, acceleration, and vision--absolutely translate to NFL success.  I could definitely be wrong about him and he ends up being one of the best players from the class.  I just wish I had seen more of an elite gear to house his big play opportunities.  I wish I had seen him have this kind of game:

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dawand just screams Steelers to me or Ravens

Yeah, in a tackle class where a lot of the guys are undersized or not overly impressive, he's starting to stand out.  I've been formulating this class in my head where we pick someone like Branch or Mayer in the first, Jones in the second, and Oluwatimi in the third, but Jones is going to mess around and get himself picked in the first round.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah, in a tackle class where a lot of the guys are undersized or not overly impressive, he's starting to stand out.  I've been formulating this class in my head where we pick someone like Branch or Mayer in the first, Jones in the second, and Oluwatimi in the third, but Jones is going to mess around and get himself picked in the first round.

Feels like Dawand and Darnell Wright are going before 47, I'd guess Mauch too if he has a good senior bowl. and ditto Anton Harrison.  at the same time some players might fall further just because usually a player or two does.  

Maybe Bergeron and Freeland are still there at 47.

Granted its too early to tell, things change.  But for now seems like the sweet spot in a trade down for CB and OT is in the late first and early 2nd round range. 

If that idea holds, I wonder if they are stuck on OT and CB they just take a Broderick Jones if he's still at 16 or one of the top corners.  Guessing Witherspoon is gone.  Gonzlalez likely gone but Porter might be there. 

There are sort of in a weird spot.  If they see this class like some draftniks do, and to some extent me too if I am just locked into CB-OT.  There is a top 3 at that spot and then a half a tier below.  So wonder if their thought is take one of those 6 players among O lineman-CB if one lands at 16.  And if they aren't there try to trade down.  It seems like that was there approach last draft, reading the tea leaves from Keim with OT-WR being the spots.

Those being Paris Johnson, Broderick Jones, Skorowski, Witherspoon, Gonzlaez, Porter.  Maybe Branch too if they see him filling a corner need. 

Going back to Branch, this team loves Alabama players.  Some say that was all Kyle Smith but Tim Gribble from what I heard is the key scout for the draft.  Gribble was Kyle's right hand man for years.  I believe Gribble for a spell was an SEC scout.

PFN

Will Levis — Missed Opportunity

Many on hand are wondering why quarterback Will Levis is not playing in one of the postseason all-star games. In fact, several reiterated what PFN mentioned late last week — Levis’ refusal to participate in the Shrine or Senior Bowl was a major missed opportunity.

Further, we’ve not spoken to anyone who believes Levis is a good quarterback. Athlete? Yes. Big-armed thrower? Absolutely. Yet, almost everyone believed Levis needed a good showing in a game such as the Shrine or Senior Bowl to cement himself as a top-20 selection.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-news-rumors-shrine-bowl-2023/?utm_campaign=PFN Email&utm_content=2023 NFL Draft Rumors &utm_medium=email&utm_source=getresponse&utm_term=