Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

Some longtimers probably know I'm not a close follower of the college game directly.

(I grew up in AK and even if you're a pro fan you just don't have "college rivalries" or traditions beyond following the Huskies as the closest team).

So I always rely on our long time stalwart contributors to this subject along with basic media coverage.

So what do you guys think of a dude that they make a big deal out of here in bigfoot country (WA and OR): Jack Colleto, a guy who's played rb, receiver, returner, te, qb, and even linebacker and did it all well according to regional and  some natl reporters. Just curious cuz one savvy guy I know with high standards called him a Swiss army knife on steroids. Like a better version of taysum hill.

I admit I have not heard of him but I'll see what I can find on youtube.  Nothing I could find on him on ESPN or PFF.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

Some longtimers probably know I'm not a close follower of the college game directly.

(I grew up in AK and even if you're a pro fan you just don't have "college rivalries" or traditions beyond following the Huskies as the closest team).

So I always rely on our long time stalwart contributors to this subject along with basic media coverage.

So what do you guys think of a dude that they make a big deal out of here in bigfoot country (WA and OR): Jack Colleto, a guy who's played rb, receiver, returner, te, qb, and even linebacker and did it all well according to regional and  some natl reporters. Just curious cuz one savvy guy I know with high standards called him a Swiss army knife on steroids. Like a better version of taysum hill.

Plenty on youtube, and I found his stats on espn.  Watched his highlights.  Wild: LB. FB-HB.  WR. Wildcat QB.  And looking at his stats he played QB his freshman year.

Kipers 4th ranked FB.  

Apparently, I did watch him before without realizing it while watching Luke Musgrave so I just started rewatching a game to watch him and also Musgrave again.  I haven't finished the game yet but my initial impression from that game where he was playing FB, he can move, good agility.  But not as physical as I'd like from a HB-FB.   I haven't really looked at FB-HBs. But I did happen to watch Brayden Willis and he came off the better, more physical blocker to my eyes. 

But I'll get to watching the rest of the game soon, I only watched the beginning of it so far so my mind might change.

But no doubt he has unique swiss arm knife tools considering all the spots he played.

Read a little about him, seems like he is billed as a special teams guy in the NFL by some. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched the rest of the game for Jack Colleto. 

Certainy one of the most swiss army knives skill sets. 

Not sure I love him as a FB which is what he majors in this season,  I don't dislike him either on that front but he doesn't stand out IMO.  He mostly played 1 formation-FB in that one game against Boise State. 

But he had some fun plays in the mix.  Had one direct snap at wildcat and while in I formation-FB role, he got a surprise handoff from the QB, which surprised the defense and he went about 30 yard for a TD.   I recall Shanny used to have some plays like that especially in the red zone back in the day for Darrell Young.

Overall. Fun player, special teams type in the NFL-gadget player feels right.  And I don't mind him at FB but I've seen better.  

On another note, it gave me another chance to watch Musgrave some more and JL Skinner on the Boise side.   I like both players.  The @KDawgbowl?  :ols:  There was Musgrave who I recall he's not that high on and Skinner who he's if I recall very high on.  I like Musgrave personally.  I like Skinner too as I said the other day he reminds me of Jeremy Chinn.  Both players have something in common -- they both move well for players of that size.  So Musgrave made a catch on Skinner but Skinner chased him down and tackled him quickly in open field.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Watched the rest of the game for Jack Colleto. 

Certainy one of the most swiss army knives skill sets. 

Not sure I love him as a FB which is what he majors in this season,  I don't dislike him either on that front but he doesn't stand out IMO.  He mostly played 1 formation-FB in that one game against Boise State. 

But he had some fun plays in the mix.  Had one direct snap at wildcat and while in I formation-FB role, he got a surprise handoff from the QB, which surprised the defense and he went about 30 yard for a TD.   I recall Shanny used to have some plays like that especially in the red zone back in the day for Darrell Young.

Overall. Fun player, special teams type in the NFL-gadget player feels right.  And I don't mind him at FB but I've seen better.  

On another note, it gave me another chance to watch Musgrave some more and JL Skinner on the Boise side.   I like both players.  The @KDawgbowl?  :ols:  There was Musgrave who I recall he's not that high on and Skinner who he's if I recall very high on.  I like Musgrave personally.  I like Skinner too as I said the other day he reminds me of Jeremy Chinn.  Both players have something in common -- they both move well for players of that size.  So Musgrave made a catch on Skinner but Skinner chased him down and tackled him quickly in open field.

You’re correct. Only caveat is I am not high on Musgrave because I think he’s going to be a walking injury.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chump Bailey said:

Put me down as a fan of Jack Colletto. The problem is where to play him, obviously :) 

I see not only an athlete, but also a football player some smart coach should figure out a way to get him on the field.

Maybe.  He can move well for a FB if that ends up his primary role but I wish he blocked like Brayden Willis.

If we are going with a FB-HB Brayden is my guy.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Biggest takeaway from Day 2

I was really impressed with Fresno State quarterback Jake Haener and Michigan State receiver Jayden Reed in the first practice session. I love Haener's tape, and while he is undersized (6-foot, 208 pounds), every ball he threw on Wednesday was on the mark. Nothing phases him in the pocket. He showed really strong anticipation and an ability to change arm angles, and his confidence stood out. At one point, he climbed the pocket and rolled to his right to hit a receiver. And even though he completed the pass, Haener went right up the pass-catcher after the play to talk through where he wants him on those throws. Scouts love to see that stuff. He's one of those midround QBs that will be a solid backup but could potentially develop into a starter down the road in the NFL if he lands in the right system.

Reed, meanwhile, entered the week as a fourth-round prospect for me after catching 55 passes for 636 yards and five TDs this season, but I'm not sure he gets out of Day 2 now. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a second-rounder. He showed great release off the line of scrimmage, and the play speed is absolutely there. Reed made multiple plays going up and getting the ball downfield, and his play just popped among the receivers.

I'll also shout out Oregon State tight end Luke Musgrave and Tulane running back Tyjae Spears. Both prospects had great afternoons, and they are definitely rising. -- Todd McShay

John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota

One of the biggest plays of Wednesday came on a screen pass during 11-on-11 drills. The ball was dropped to the right flat with defenders giving chase. Then came Schmitz, laying a crushing block to spring the runner into space.

Schmitz has had a wonderful first two days of practice and has been the most impressive offensive lineman at the Senior Bowl. His ability in space will give scouts a Creed Humphrey-like vibe, and he also routinely handled seal blocks and head-up defenders in the session. If you're looking for the first center to come off the board, Schmitz is taking the spot. He allowed just one sack all season in 2022. -- Miller

Nathaniel Dell, WR, Houston

Dell gave us plenty of "wow" moments during the second day of practice. He has the ability to speed up and shut it down in an instant, and defensive backs had trouble keeping pace with his route stems and change-of-direction skills. He was also able to show off his catch radius on multiple occasions, hauling in multiple tough catches. Dell was the nation's leader in receiving yards this season (1,398), but at 5-foot-8 and 163 pounds, he's a smaller receiver who will require a specific role in the NFL. Still, teams in search of dynamic playmakers could target him in the middle rounds. -- Reid

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35564252/senior-bowl-practice-2023-nfl-draft-best-quarterbacks-prospects-sleepers-risers-nuggets-know

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Conn said:

Tank Dell could be fool’s gold, kind of an ideal atmosphere for quick, small WR’s to succeed at Senior Bowl practices. Andy Isabella, Calvin Austin, etc. 

Dell can be a solid pro when used in a specific way. I’m surprised more people aren’t high on Zay Flowers. Guy might be the best receiver in the draft. But he’s small too. Compared to Dell, though, he’s a grown man. 

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ron seems to be a creature of habit and I get the impression they love what they did in the last draft as for the trade down. 

I was thinking trade down feels likely too, because I think Skoronski and PJJr will be picked ahead of our choice.  I think they will want to move down and get into the linebacker/OG range.

I think there are some potential curveball scenarios out there, that would match up with their past tendencies.

1 - I think they could pick Bresee at 16 if his health checks out.  That feels like a very Star Lotuleilei-esque pick, and I think they could do it to hedge against being unable to get a deal done with DaRon.  I also think any edge faller of the caliber of Myles Murphy or Tyree Wilson has to be in play.

2 - I can't stop thinking about how many first round LBers Hurney and Rivera have drafted.  I think there is a chance that Trenton Simpson is a surprise choice.

3 - I also think Bijan is going to be really tempting for them.  He's that board meltdown style pick that ends up being the top selling Commanders jersey for the next five years.  On a team lacking elite star power and an identity-defining player on offense, we can't be turning our noses up at someone being widely rated as a top five talent in the class.  I have really mixed feelings on picking him, personally, but I'm starting to back off my take against picking him.  I can't be against BPA picks.

I want to call my shot and say that I think Olu Oluwatimi is going to be one of the OLs we draft if he makes it into a third-fourth round range.  It just feels like a perfect fit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anyone else notice that the two teams in the SB are the ones with the two best centers in the NFL?  The position has such a quietly huge impact.  Let's get the dude who was making line calls for UVA as a Sophomore, who went on to win every award a college offensive lineman can possibly win as a Senior.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Dell can be a solid pro when used in a specific way. I’m surprised more people aren’t high on Zay Flowers. Guy might be the best receiver in the draft. But he’s small too. Compared to Dell, though, he’s a grown man. 

Really like Flowers, can’t remember who it was earlier in this thread today but I was surprised to see Zay somewhere between like 6th and 8th WR for them. He’s not a prototypical alpha receiver or anything but he just looks like a guy who will win in the NFL. More of a Tyler Lockett type.

44 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I liked watching Dell, referenced him a bit last weekend, but 160 pounds seems brutal for NFL longevity.

As for Zay Flowers, I've mentioned here Kiper and McShay in both podcasts they've done this year -- go on and on they seem to worship the dude.  He seems to be their favorite player.

I haven't watched Flowers yet.  But I have watched Josh Downs.  That dude, similar size, to Flowers who IMO is oddly underhyped.   I think he has the ability to be a great slot WR. 

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

I was thinking trade down feels likely too, because I think Skoronski and PJJr will be picked ahead of our choice.  I think they will want to move down and get into the linebacker/OG range.

I think there are some potential curveball scenarios out there, that would match up with their past tendencies.

1 - I think they could pick Bresee at 16 if his health checks out.  That feels like a very Star Lotuleilei-esque pick, and I think they could do it to hedge against being unable to get a deal done with DaRon.  I also think any edge faller of the caliber of Myles Murphy or Tyree Wilson has to be in play.

2 - I can't stop thinking about how many first round LBers Hurney and Rivera have drafted.  I think there is a chance that Trenton Simpson is a surprise choice.

3 - I also think Bijan is going to be really tempting for them.  He's that board meltdown style pick that ends up being the top selling Commanders jersey for the next five years.  On a team lacking elite star power and an identity-defining player on offense, we can't be turning our noses up at someone being widely rated as a top five talent in the class.  I have really mixed feelings on picking him, personally, but I'm starting to back off my take against picking him.  I can't be against BPA picks.

I want to call my shot and say that I think Olu Oluwatimi is going to be one of the OLs we draft if he makes it into a third-fourth round range.  It just feels like a perfect fit.

Oluwatimi is one of my fav players.  He's local, too.  Could be.  Keim likes to say he thinks they are going for shorter players on the interior.  he would fit at 6'3.  I'd bet on Luke Wypler, also 6 '3,  if I had to pick one.  If he falls to 47, I wouldn't rule out Michael-Schmitz.

As for D line I got to catch up, I've watched none of these guys aside from Ika and watching some of the O line-D line reps today on ESPN from the Senior Bowl.

I like Bijan a lot.  104 broken tackles is insane.  Really good hands too. Stop and go.  But I haven't studied him in months got to rewatch.  If I recall you aren't as high on him as you thought you'd be or something like that.   I buy into the hype based on what i've seen but its been awhile.

I like Trenton Simpson, don't love him but I have not dug deep into his play.  To me based on what i saw is the logic of him and Davis on the field at the same time makes sense. Both good against the pass and can stop plays in the flat.  Simpson can play some nickle.   He's not the guy I'd want at 16.  But it would get this defense closer to SF caliber that has the LBers we don't.

Considering how much Rivera likes talking about the Buffalo nickel, factoring how the defense seems to fall apart when Curl isn't in the game and with Curl becoming a FA next year -- wouldn't shock me if its Branch.   Maybe Simpson for the same reason.  But Branch kills two birds with one stone -- he serves as a slot corner and can handle the Buffalo nickle role if need be.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Oluwatimi is one of my fav players.  He's local, too.  Could be.  Keim likes to say he thinks they are going for shorter players on the interior.  he would fit at 6'3.  I'd bet on Luke Wypler, also 6 '3,  if I had to pick one.  If he falls to 47, I wouldn't rule out Michael-Schmitz.

Considering how much Rivera likes talking about the Buffalo nickel, factoring how the defense seems to fall apart when Curl isn't in the game and with Curl becoming a FA next year -- wouldn't shock me if its Branch.   Maybe Simpson for the same reason.  But Branch kills two birds with one stone -- he serves as a slot corner and can handle the Buffalo nickle role if need be.

One of those C's would be great, but Schmitz at 47 would be sweet. Funny, my gut has been we end out with Wypler

There is a lot to be said with your idea of Branch. It needs to seriously be considered. If a small trade down was possible there are a really nice pool of others which is where I'm thinking they dip into. 

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Are they defenders or blocking dummies? Absurd is correct, Pace looks smooth

• Like 2

I think our current plan is the following, in order:

1) trade down

2) OL

3) CB

4) Dependent on how they feel in the moment, this could be #1: Branch

If a trade down happens I think the above priority list shifts to BPA of OL/CB/LB

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

https://sports.yahoo.com/5-players-stood-day-2-114424139.html

Which players stood out on Wednesday’s second day of practice? We pick five players who stood out and could be of interest to the Washington Commanders.

*Alabama DT Byron Young

Byron Young was the only DL to give Schmitz trouble in individuals. 

*Stanford CB Kyu Blu Kelly

*Wisconsin DT Keeanu Benton

Wisconsin DT Keeanu Benton has stacked back-to-back strong days. Has a good argument as the best defensive lineman in attendance.

*Tennessee offensive lineman Darnell Wright 

*Tulane RB Tyjae Spears

Tyjae Spears of Tulane is a fun player to watch. He rushed for over 1,500 yards in 2022 and was a reason for Tulane’s breakout season. He is absolutely turning heads in Mobile

(Tyjae Spears is way too low in my rankings - think I had him around 7-8 in my top 10)

37 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think our current plan is the following, in order:

1) trade down

2) OL

3) CB

4) Dependent on how they feel in the moment, this could be #1: Branch

If a trade down happens I think the above priority list shifts to BPA of OL/CB/LB

Yeah I am really not feeling them going DL until day 3. Thinking they are hoping for 4 picks in the first 2 days with 2 OL and 2 back 7 on D.

Taking a day 3 makes great sense normally but I am questioning it due to RR being in a lame duck situation.