Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Just listened to this podcast from Tony Pauline on his top offensive position rankings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA5AFYv1jkU

Some noteworthy items:

1). Has ELEVEN Rbs in his top 100.

2). Has Mayer, Musgrave, and Tucker Kraft as 1-3 for his TE rankings.  Believes they are pretty close.  Mayer is his top rated TE, but he may run slow.

3). LOVES Bijon, but he might go back half of the first round simply due to his position.

4). Has Skronk as a guard due to whispers of his arm length and height.  Skronk will be an excellent guard however.

5). Hooker over Levis as QB3.

6). Loves JSN.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Just listened to this podcast from Tony Pauline on his top offensive position rankings:

Some noteworthy items:

2). Has Mayer, Musgrave, and Tucker Kraft as 1-3 for his TE rankings.  Believes they are pretty close.  Mayer is his top rated TE, but he may run slow.

3). LOVES Bijon, but he might go back half of the first round simply due to his position.

4). Has Skronk as a guard due to whispers of his arm length and height.  Skronk will be an excellent guard however.

6). Loves JSN.

Skoronski becomes OG1 if he is being looked at there.

He's not a great OT imo. 

On the same page as him RE: Hooker. 

JSN/Addison are interchangable to me. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Some noteworthy items:

6). Loves JSN.

No major issues aside from #2. I'd still opt for Levis over Hooker though. If not for the injury I possibly could be swayed. But, not having Dalton Kincaid in a discussion or ranking of the top TE's is - a major miscalculation IMHO  :) 

Edited by Chump Bailey

This class is alright.  There are easily gonna be six first round corners probably, and six DLs.  Branch, Ringo, Smith, Gonzalez, Witherspoon, Porter, and Forbes and Phillips are first round caliber too.  Half the leavue is going to get a good corner this year.  Carter, Anderson, Wilson, Murphy, Bresee, Kancey is a good first round DL crop by the standard of almost any year.

The first round offensive skill crop is decent too.  Three or four first round WRs, three first round QBs, at least two TEs, and three first round RBs.  The OL class isn't good, but there have definitely been worse years for OLs.  Most years the Senior Bowl doesn't have good QBs.  The studs usually declare as juniors or sit the week out.

The draft him consensus hasn't yet figured out that dudes like Zach Charbonnet and Calijah Kancey should be getting first round grades, and they are nonsensically low of studs like Bresee and Quentin Johnston and Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Michael Mayer.  Second guessing guys who are super easy to see coming.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Going Commando said:

This class is alright.  There are easily gonna be six first round corners probably, and six DLs.  Branch, Ringo, Smith, Gonzalez, Witherspoon, Porter, and Forbes and Phillips are first round caliber too.  Half the leavue is going to get a good corner this year.  Carter, Anderson, Wilson, Murphy, Bresee, Kancey is a good first round DL crop by the standard of almost any year.

The first round offensive skill crop is decent too.  Three or four first round WRs, three first round QBs, at least two TEs, and three first round RBs.  The OL class isn't good, but there have definitely been worse years for OLs.  Most years the Senior Bowl doesn't have good QBs.  The studs usually declare as juniors or sit the week out.

The draft him consensus hasn't yet figured out that dudes like Zach Charbonnet and Calijah Kancey should be getting first round grades, and they are nonsensically low of studs like Bresee and Quentin Johnston and Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Michael Mayer.  Second guessing guys who are super easy to see coming.

Pauline really likes Charbonnet.  Has him as his 4th RB.  

Its a weak class. The QBs don't come close to 2020 or 2021. The offensive skill position talent is pretty "meh" outside of Robinson and nobody values RBs anymore. TEs are deep but the RoI on 1st round TEs is awful.

The CB class is deep, but I don't see any sure fire stars like Surtain in 2021 or Gardner last year. Edge appears to be solid but again doesn't look like there is a Young, Parsons, or Thibodeaux type prospect there.

My hope is that someone falls in love with Robinson or one of the TEs and wants to trade up with us at 16 and we can get one of the pretty good CBs that are all kinda similar tier later in the 1st. Then address OL in the 2nd(Smitz the C seems like a good fit there).

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 1

*Tavion Thomas RB Utah has legit sleeper/Day 3 potential IMO. 

Going against consensus once again, I am not a fan of Tank Bigsby nor that high on McBride sorry @KDawg:)

This was my list made on 1/26. I'll stay pat though I did have Eric Gray with Rodriquez and Abinkanda. Gray's good but struggles in pass pro to a good degree IMO.

1. Bijan Robinson, Texas
  2. Jahmir Gibbs, Alabama
  3. Zach Charbonnett, UCLA
  4. Zach Evans, Ole Miss
  5. Devon Achane, Texas A&M
  6. Sean Tucker, Syracuse
  7. Kenny McIntosh, Georgia
  8. Tyjae Spears, Tulane
  9. Chase Brown, Illinois
  10. Chris Rodriguez, Kentucky & Israel Abinkanda, Pitt

I wouldn’t be high on a guy who rushed for 1700 yards and 19 TDs and runs like a Mack truck, either @Chump Bailey. Only 7.4 YPC, too. ;)

I’ll give you the LSU game was horrendous and that was his best chance to overcome adversity and show he can play against big competition, but I’ll also say the LSU DL absolutely tub humped the UAB OL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I wouldn’t be high on a guy who rushed for 1700 yards and 19 TDs and runs like a Mack truck, either @Chump Bailey. Only 7.4 YPC, too. ;)

I’ll give you the LSU game was horrendous and that was his best chance to overcome adversity and show he can play against big competition, but I’ll also say the LSU DL absolutely tub humped the UAB OL

Touche friend :) 

Don't get me wrong. McBride's good, in all honesty, I forget to add him to my list but was going to put in the 10 slot with Rodriguez. Yeah, the LSU game was ugly but he has more wiggle than I thought at the same time. Bigbsy though, I am just not a buyer.

17 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Touche friend :) 

Don't get me wrong. McBride's good, in all honesty, I forget to add him to my list but was going to put in the 10 slot with Rodriguez. Yeah, the LSU game was ugly but he has more wiggle than I thought at the same time. Bigbsy though, I am just not a buyer.

I’m not high on him, either. I don’t think there are that many great backs in this class.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chump Bailey said:

https://riggosrag.com/2023/02/12/commanders-5-round-2023-nfl-mock-draft-molding-contender/6/

Now, this mock is very appealing to me.

1st CB Joey Porter

2nd  OL John Michael Smitz

3rd LB Daiyan Henley

4th QB Hendon Hooker

5th OL Nick Broeker 

I thought I had read that Broeker looked miserable at the Senior Bowl

• Like 1

Watched the highlights and then one game.  Keaton Mitchell, RB, East Carolina. 

This dude looks sick level explosive-fast, quick feet, makes quick cuts like he's in a video game.  Good vision-contact balance.  Not the biggest dude though.  Outside zone but can run some gap too. 

I haven't dived much in the RB class, just starting to. But if we are looking for a later rounder ala the Chiefs last draft with Pacheco who is a big play waiting to happen because of their speed-elusiveness -- this might be that guy.

31 runs for 15 plus, I'd guess that has to be the best in this draft class as to the number of big runs.  7.2 YPA, almost 1500 yards.   Pass weapon, too. 

I usually get obnoxiously pushy with the later rounders that grab me that I think draftnik types sleep on. He fits that.  I have to watch more but i've seen enough to know that I am VERY intrigued. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

I thought I had read that Broeker looked miserable at the Senior Bowl

Quite possible. He's not on my radar and I don't recall specifics about him. I've not done any deep dive into the OG's - just OT's & C. Draftek has him listed as an OG - my main go to site for prospects. I did watch him this morning against Alabama for a minute or two and he seemed competent in that time span :) 

Edited by Chump Bailey

Eli Ricks, Alabama CB, transfer from LSU, not easy to find his recent games because he missed much of the season.  I watched highlights and then one of his LSU games

6 '2, but a bit thin but plays physical.  Long arms.  Sticky in coverage.  Press and off coverage.  Played outside on both sides in the game watched but had one snap inside where he followed a WR. 

Good ball skills, 5 career picks.   Played 5 games last year but in those allowed the lowest completion rate, and had the 2nd lowest passer rating against him.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Eli Ricks, Alabama CB, transfer from LSU, not easy to find his recent games because he missed much of the season.  I watched highlights and then one of his LSU games

6 '2, but a bit thin but plays physical.  Long arms.  Sticky in coverage.  Press-off coverage.  Played outside on both sides in the game watched but one snap inside. 

Good ball skills, 5 career picks.   Played 5 games last year but in those allowed the lowest completion rate, and had the 2nd lowest passer rating against him.

Watched him this AM. No write up. Have him as CB8 atm due to health concerns.

• Like 1

Had fun watching @Koolblue13s guy the too short LB Nick Bolton tackling all over the field and returning the fumble, It reminded me of the discussions we have had about too small too slow Pace and other guys that don't fit into the ideal size/speed players. What a great job KC has done using this guy. He was s fun watching him last night as he was in college. 

Whenever we get into this discussion I first think of too small LB soon to be HOF'er Zach Thomas. These guys have such instincts, it makes them bigger and faster on the field!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

*Tavion Thomas RB Utah has legit sleeper/Day 3 potential IMO. 

Going against consensus once again, I am not a fan of Tank Bigsby nor that high on McBride sorry @KDawg:)

This was my list made on 1/26. I'll stay pat though I did have Eric Gray with Rodriquez and Abinkanda. Gray's good but struggles in pass pro to a good degree IMO.

1. Bijan Robinson, Texas
  2. Jahmir Gibbs, Alabama
  3. Zach Charbonnett, UCLA
  4. Zach Evans, Ole Miss
  5. Devon Achane, Texas A&M
  6. Sean Tucker, Syracuse
  7. Kenny McIntosh, Georgia
  8. Tyjae Spears, Tulane
  9. Chase Brown, Illinois
  10. Chris Rodriguez, Kentucky & Israel Abinkanda, Pitt

Tyjae Spears would be top 5 for me.