Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

On 2/11/2023 at 4:11 PM, KDawg said:

Skoronski becomes OG1 if he is being looked at there.

He's not a great OT imo. 

On the same page as him RE: Hooker. 

JSN/Addison are interchangable to me. 

If Skoronski is strictly a guard, then I could see him falling to 16.  Would you take him there at 16 (say over Mayer or Porter)?

A sneaky (not so sneaky) need for this franchise is a big possession receiver. I wanted Drake London for that purpose. I'm thrilled with Dot, to be sure. But I think that still can be a focus for this franchise. Samuel could still be a cap casualty, but they can go get a possession guy in the form of a TE or a true X. Mayer and Washington fit the bill. Quentin Johnston, Jonathan Mingo, AT Perry (haven't watched, just based on size), Xavier Hutchinson, Dontay Demus (haven't watched) could all be on the radar as well. Not sure how much of an impact some of those names would have and have it be worth possibly not having Samuel... 

But that is something that is a major need for a young QB. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

A sneaky (not so sneaky) need for this franchise is a big possession receiver. I wanted Drake London for that purpose. I'm thrilled with Dot, to be sure. But I think that still can be a focus for this franchise. Samuel could still be a cap casualty, but they can go get a possession guy in the form of a TE or a true X. Mayer and Washington fit the bill. Quentin Johnston, Jonathan Mingo, AT Perry (haven't watched, just based on size), Xavier Hutchinson, Dontay Demus (haven't watched) could all be on the radar as well. Not sure how much of an impact some of those names would have and have it be worth possibly not having Samuel... 

Agreed.  4th round is when I think they start considering receiver, though it’s more my wildcard pick at that point.  I’m assuming we go corner and oline w/in the first 3 picks (maybe first 2), and then they also have ILB, a second olineman and perhaps TE to address.  My guess is RB, QB, safety, receiver and DE are all on the table starting in the 4th.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think they desperately wanted London last year. A prime X WR is so desperately needed for this team. I think we have 3 Z's and Y combos with one of them forced into the X. Its mostly terry. Which I hate. Him being on the line feels like a waste. 

Edited by Zim489

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

If its a TE, Michael Mayer, can help for sure on that front.  Darnell Washington to some extent, too among others like Musgrave,  Like you I was big on Drake London last year.  And supposedly that was their guy too but alas he didn't fall to their pick.  Though I did like the Dotson pick at the time, still do.

They are interviewing Greg Roman.  If he ends up the hire, I'll increase the odds that they might actually consider Mayer at their pick or someone like Washington in a trade down.

The Ravens with their funky 13 and 22 personnel sets -- they love those TEs.  Especially Mayer and Washington within this draft class, they scream to me Ravens TE.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If its a TE, Michael Mayer, can help for sure on that front.  Darnell Washington to some extent, too among others like Musgrave,  Like you I was big on Drake London last year.  And supposedly that was their guy too but alas he didn't fall to their pick.  Though I did like the Dotson pick at the time, still do.

They are interviewing Greg Roman.  If he ends up the hire, I'll increase the odds that they might actually consider Mayer at their pick or someone like Washington in a trade down.

The Ravens with their funky 13 and 22 personnel sets -- they love those TEs.  Especially Mayer and Washington within this draft class, they scream to me Ravens TE.

Wow, Roman is a twist. I don't know a ton about him other than in Balltimore he def loves the TE's and might like the young guys we have. I would expect he'd be salivating at Mayer. Also would want numerous OL upgrades

If he got the job what would that mean for all our current WR's? I mean they are a strong point for us. I understand the possibiiliy of Samuel getting cut but would the others still get used a lot?

EDIT- Adding that I just read the Bullock article SIP posted in the OC thread along with a followup SIP post that answers a lot of my questions. Very interesting 

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

PFF new mock

10. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (VIA SAINTS😞 CB CHRISTIAN GONZALEZ, OREGON

James Bradberry was one of the best free agent signings of 2022, but he came to Philadelphia on a one-year deal and very likely played his way out of the team given their tight cap situation. Gonzalez is a similarly long cornerback who picked off four passes and broke up six more this past fall.

11. TENNESSEE TITANS: EDGE LUKAS VAN NESS, IOWA

It may not be a need (although it will be if the Titans cut Bud Dupree), but Van Ness is too perfect a fit for Tennessee to pass up. The Titans love to create havoc with their line via stunts and slants, and Van Ness is a true havoc creator. His ability to sink low and walk back offensive linemen is as good as it gets in the draft class.

12. HOUSTON TEXANS (VIA BROWNS😞 WR QUENTIN JOHNSTON, TCU

The Texans got the quarterback at No. 2, and now they’ve given Levis a rangy weapon to haul in some of those slightly off-target passes that he’s no stranger to. The 6-foot-4, 215-pounder is also deadly after the catch, having racked up 45 broken tackles on 115 career receptions.PFF's 2023 NFL Draft Guide is available for download to all PFF+ subscribers. Click here to download the guide today!

13. NEW YORK JETS: OT BRODERICK JONES, GEORGIA

While it seems like the Jets want to part ways with this pick to secure a quarterback, if they can’t do that, then providing better protection for whoever is behind center is paramount. Jones is an ascending tackle with grown-man play strength already at only 21 years old. He allowed only nine pressures this past season in his first full year as a starter.

14. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: S BRIAN BRANCH, ALABAMA

Branch was built to play defensive back for Bill Belichick. He has the best instincts and is the best tackler of any defensive back in the draft class. For his entire college career, he missed only four tackles on 174 attempts.

15. GREEN BAY PACKERS: EDGE MYLES MURPHY, CLEMSON

The Packers love athletes along the defensive line, and if one of Murphy's caliber is staring them in the face, general manager Brian Gutekunst is going to pull the trigger. Murphy is very reminiscent of Rashan Gary as a prospect, with high-end flashes but average production (79.0 grade in 2022).

16. WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: DT BRYAN BRESEE, CLEMSON

With Daron Payne hitting free agency, the Commanders may very well choose to reload at the position to keep their defensive line a strength. Bresee never quite lived up to the lofty expectations attached to being a No. 1 overall recruit (2020), but that was due in large part to a torn ACL in 2021 that he came back from and still earned an 82.0 pass-rushing grade this past fall.

17. PITTSBURGH STEELERS: CB JOEY PORTER JR., PENN STATE

Mike Tomlin is going to have a hard time passing up Joey Porter’s son given the drastic need at the position. Porter is one of the longest cornerbacks in the class and broke up nine of the 30 targets into his coverage in 2022.

18. DETROIT LIONS: QB ANTHONY RICHARDSON, FLORIDA

The first round couldn’t shake out too much better for Detroit if this is how it goes. They get a defensive cornerstone with their first pick and a special developmental prospect to be the quarterback of the future with their second. Oh, and Richardson is so special athletically that offensive coordinator Ben Johnson can get him involved in certain packages without him being the starter.

19. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: CB DEONTE BANKS, MARYLAND

Banks is a long, nimble cornerback who could backfill the potential losses of Jamel Dean and Sean Murphy-Bunting this offseason. Head coach Todd Bowles needs aggressive press cornerbacks to execute his scheme defensively, and Banks can be that after allowing only 26 catches on 60 targets for 258 yards in 2022.

20. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: DT CALIJAH KANCEY, PITTSBURGH

Kancey was the best pass-rushing defensive tackle in college football last season, earning a 92.4 grade in that regard. He just happens to be only 6-foot and 280 pounds. The Seahawks are no stranger to smaller defensive tackles, with Poona Ford patrolling the middle of their defensive line for the past five seasons. Kancey can be an every-down three-technique and live in opponents' backfields.

21. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS: TE MICHAEL MAYER, NOTRE DAME

Many are mocking speed receivers to the Chargers, but they could use someone ultra-reliable, as well. Mayer is that and then some. He dropped only seven of his 145 catchable targets the past two seasons and went 30-of-49 in contested situations.

22. BALTIMORE RAVENS: RB BIJAN ROBINSON, TEXAS

Bijan and Lamar Jackson in the same backfield is just too much dynamism to pass up. Do you want to take your run game to unstoppable levels? Because adding the PFF College single-season broken tackle leader will do that.

23. MINNESOTA VIKINGS: WR JORDAN ADDISON, USC

Addison is a dream scenario for the Vikings. He’s not just a separator, but also one who will make you pay down the football field if you tilt your safeties toward Justin Jefferson. He won the Biletnikoff Award, given to college football's top receiver, in 2021 and tallied 25 touchdowns over the past two seasons.

24. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: TE DALTON KINCAID, UTAH

With Evan Engram hitting free agency, the Jaguars can stand to secure another receiving tight end to build rapport with quarterback Trevor Lawrence. After all of the drops Lawrence has suffered from his receivers over the past two years, Kincaid would be a sight for sore eyes. The tight end dropped only two of his 109 catchable passes at Utah.

25. NEW YORK GIANTS: WR JAXON SMITH-NJIGBA, OHIO STATE

Head coach Brian Daboll has been a master at scheming to talent, and in the right role, there may be no better receiver in this class to scheme to than Smith-Njigba. He is nearly unguardable on option routes over the middle of the field and can easily take on a Cooper Kupp– or Amon-Ra St. Brown-esque slot role.

26. DALLAS COWBOYS: WR JALIN HYATT, TENNESSEE

Hyatt brings the kind of juice that the Cowboys were missing in 2022 at receiver. His ability to take the top off defenses is second to none in the draft class. His 677 yards on deep receptions led all of college football this past season.

27. BUFFALO BILLS: G O'CYRUS TORRENCE, FLORIDA

The Bills' 2022 offensive line was a patchworked mishmash and arguably the weakest position group on the entire roster. Torrence can easily take over the left guard spot left vacant by 34-year-old impending free agent Rodger Saffold

28. CINCINNATI BENGALS: EDGE KEION WHITE, GEORGIA TECH

One of the keys to the Bengals' defensive emergence under coordinator Lou Anarumo has been the prioritization of versatility. They want players who are flexible enough to play in different roles, and that applies to the nearly 6-foot-5, 280-pound Georgia Tech defensive lineman. White is still a work in progress after starting his career at tight end, but he’s a freaky athlete who can play outside or inside. He can even drop into coverage.

29. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS (VIA 49ERS, VIA DOLPHINS😞 WR ZAY FLOWERS, BOSTON COLLEGE

There’s a good chance that Jarvis Landry and Michael Thomas will be wearing different uniforms in 2023. At that point, it’s a bare-bones Saints receiving unit. Flowers would give New Orleans an electric duo — with Chris Olave — of separators who can win to every level of the field.

30. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: EDGE NOLAN SMITH, GEORGIA

The Eagles are no strangers to adding juice to their defensive line, and Smith brings just that. It becomes even more likely if soon-to-be 35-year-old Brandon Graham retires this offseason. Smith is undersized but explosive as can be, and he plays with great leverage. He would ensure the Eagles' third-down package remains scary.

31. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: TE LUKE MUSGRAVE, OREGON STATE

Travis Kelce has proven to be ageless, but at some point the 33-year-old future Hall of Fame tight end will slow down. Then, he can pass the torch to the most athletic tight end in the draft class. Even before that, though, adding the most athletic tight end in the draft class who can get vertical like a wide receiver to the Chiefs' 12 personnel package would be scary.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-post-super-bowl-2023-nfl-mock-draft-bryce-young-will-levis-cj-stroud

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's entertaining for me to read mocks, but none of them bother me, its not like they are predicated on leaks, its just dudes saying this is what they will do.  If Keim or Standig said this is what they hear they are thinking, that would be a different story. 

Agree. The mock doesn’t bother me. The Commandos taking Bresee at 16 in real life would though.

• Like 1

I've been watching more Sam Laporta, he's one of my favorite prospects and he's been that for awhile.  I am seeing him recently in the 2nd round in mocks which feels a little rich for me, strikes me as a 3rd rounder.  But if he runs in the 4'6s as some project, 2nd round might be right.

A baller as a receiver, YAC, contested catches, smooth router runner, gets open on the 1st-2nd level, at times even deep. OK blocker -- he's a willing blocker.    I'd be surprised if he's disappointing in the NFL. 

Granted its not apples to apples but can't help indulging in a comparison anyway. If Dawson Knox can be a pro bowler, I think Laporta can play in the NFL.  I mention Knox because I recall liking him, not loving him before that 2019 draft -- and he was sort considered on that next tier of TEs in that draft.  It's been a long time since I've watched Knox in college but I believe i like Laporta better than I did Knox then. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been watching more Sam Laporta, he's one of my favorite prospects and he's been that for awhile.  I am seeing him recently in the 2nd round in mocks which feels a little rich for me, strikes me as a 3rd rounder.  But if he runs in the 4'6s as some project, 2nd round might be right.

A baller as a receiver, YAC, contested catches, smooth router runner, gets open on the 1st-2nd level, at times even deep. OK blocker -- he's a willing blocker.    I'd be surprised if he's disappointing in the NFL. 

Granted its not apples to apples but can't help indulging in a comparison anyway. If Dawson Knox can be a pro bowler, I think Laporta can play in the NFL.  I mention Knox because I recall liking him, not loving him before that 2019 draft -- and he was sort considered on that next tier of TEs in that draft.  It's been a long time since I've watched Knox in college but I believe i like Laporta better than I did Knox then. 

Tony Pauline was pretty high on him in the podcast video I posted.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zim489 said:

I think they desperately wanted London last year. A prime X WR is so desperately needed for this team. I think we have 3 Z's and Y combos with one of them forced into the X. Its mostly terry. Which I hate. Him being on the line feels like a waste. 

I believe reports came out afterwards that if London were available at our pick they would have taken him. 

I like Dotson though and am fine with him over London even straight up, but we also got Robinson and others out of the trade so alls well that ends well.

Reuter, NFL.com.  I like Kincaid don't love him but maybe I need to watch him more, seems like the draft media loves the dude

https://www.nfl.com/news/three-round-2023-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-six-trades-spice-up-round-1-bears-involved-i?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cfb

Pick

Philadelphia Eagles

Texas · RB · Junior

If Miles Sanders finds a new home in free agency, the Eagles could have interest in adding Robinson as a dual-threat weapon in their prolific attack. He slaloms through traffic inside and displays an upfield burst in the open field.

Pick

Tennessee Titans

Utah · TE · Senior

The Titans have a decision to make about veteran quarterback Ryan Tannehill. If coach Mike Vrabel and new GM Ran Carthon decide to stick with the veteran in 2023, then they find another receiving tight end to make his life easier. Kincaid's hoops background is evident on the field, as his hands and body control make him a great target down the seam, on the sideline and in the red zone.

Pick

Houston Texans

(via CLE)
Pittsburgh · DT · Junior (RS)

Kancey could be a top-10 pick because of his strength at the point of attack and quickness. But we've seen other smaller tackles land in the middle of the first, such as when Aaron Donald went 13th overall in 2014. New Texans coach DeMeco Ryans is quite familiar with Donald's game from his years in San Francisco, so you have think he'd love to add a playmaker like Kancey on what will be a revamped Houston defensive line in 2023.

Pick

New York Jets

Florida · QB · Sophomore (RS)

Jets GM Joe Douglas traded Sam Darnold after watching him for two seasons, and it wouldn't surprise me if he does the same with Zach Wilson, if the fit doesn't improve. (Though, it's worth noting that Wilson was Douglas' pick while Darnold was not.). Richardson's throws don't always hit their targets, but his quick feet allow him to step up and out of the pocket, and he fits throws into tight spaces with easy velocity. His combination of agility and power as a runner is also intriguing. Don't be surprised if he's the best playmaker out of this group four years down the road.

Pick
Georgia · OT · Sophomore (RS)

New England's offensive tackle depth chart must be addressed, with Isaiah Wynn and Marcus Cannon approaching free agency. Jones is not the biggest tackle (6-4, 310), but he plays with attitude and possesses the strength and agility to line up outside in the NFL.

Pick
Ohio State · WR · Junior

Smith-Njgba is just as talented as the three former Ohio State receivers -- Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Jameson Williams -- picked in the top 12 last year (Williams played his final year at Alabama). He has excellent hands and quickness/strength after the catch. If his troublesome hamstring is fully healed I expect teams to have a high value on him. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the Packers moved up to grab JSN, or one of the top tight ends, to aid whoever their quarterback might be in 2023.

Pick

Northwestern · OG · Junior

Skoronski's lack of length could be an issue for NFL teams in the top half of the first round. Washington had great success converting another Big Ten tackle to guard when they moved former Iowa Hawkeye Brandon Scherff inside. Could be déjà vu all over again, with Skoronski's mobility and power making him an excellent pro lineman no matter where he lines up.

Pick

Iowa · Edge · Sophomore (RS)

Pittsburgh often ends up with a bargain landing in its lap in Round 1, and Van Ness certainly qualifies here. The Iowa defender has great potential at the five-technique for the Steelers or even standing up on the edge at times. The leverage he gets on offensive linemen is quite impressive, and he can shed and chase plays from the back side.

Pick
Notre Dame · TE · Junior

Mayer may end up as the second tight end off the board because he is not as quick-twitch as Dalton Kincaid and others at his position. The Lions happily select the Notre Dame standout, though, as his reliability as a pass-catcher and tenacious blocking remind me of Ravens star Mark Andrews.

Pick
Alabama · CB · Junior

Branch is a versatile nickel/deep/box defender who would work well in tandem with Bucs safety Antoine Winfield. The Bama product could help stabilize a Tampa secondary that has multiple veteran contributors set to become free agents.

Pick
USC · WR · Junior

PROJECTED TRADE WITH SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

Josh Allen needs a legitimate deep threat to stretch out defenses, which would also help the team's running game. With Addison still on the board, Bills GM Brandon Beane climbs seven spots, giving up three 2023 picks (a first-, third- and fourth-rounder) to grab the former Biletnikoff Award winner.

Pick

Penn State · CB · Junior (RS)

The son of the former Pro Bowl edge rusher fills a need for the Chargers, giving them a larger cornerback to complement Asante Samuel Jr. on the outside as J.C. Jackson recovers from his season-ending knee injury.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I will not be able to express the amount of anger I’d have for a Bresee pick at 16.

That'd be a BPA pick to me.  The dude is the blue chip of all blue chips in this class, would actually probably be an upgrade inside if DaRon leaves, and he's a baller who always showed up big in big games and didn't **** out of his bowl game like most of these other first round kids.  I wouldn't hate the pick, and it'd make me feel a lot better about trading DaRon.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Id throw my remote through my TV if ron spent another 1st rounder on a Dlineman. Especially ANOTHER 3T when we have a top 3 3T in the league already. 

Spending 5 first rounders and a Second on one position group in 7 years is criminal. 

Why would you care?  You're the one arguing to let DaRon Payne walk for nothing because you thinking spending big on the DL is stupid.  First round picks are how you keep the spending down on a position group without having Chris Baker and Stacy McGee starting for you.

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

You're not really improving your team if you simply burn another 1st round pick on a DT to replace the DT you spent five years developing. 

I'd rather go for a CB to try to strengthen that position while banking on the DL still remaining kinda strong with Young/Payne/Allen. Better return on investment from a CB too. 

12 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

That'd be a BPA pick to me.  The dude is the blue chip of all blue chips in this class, would actually probably be an upgrade inside if DaRon leaves, and he's a baller who always showed up big in big games and didn't **** out of his bowl game like most of these other first round kids.  I wouldn't hate the pick, and it'd make me feel a lot better about trading DaRon.

I’d despise it so much I’d probably throw up in real life.

• Like 1