Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

What's his floor for you personally then?  As in, no matter what I've heard from other FOs, I'm taking him if he's there at X pick.  Third round comp pick?  Fourth?

Hard to say. I don't know what's on the board. But realistically I'd start looking to take him when I don't have anyone higher rated on my board. 

20 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I think you're right that's where he'd likely go if he runs a 4.8.  I guess what I'm wondering is, do we feel like he's the kind of player where you say "damn the measurables, we think there is something special in him.  Let's take him in the third or fourth round to make sure we get him, even though everyone else has him in the fifth or sixth."

I don't want to draft any player before I have to pick him, because that's just wasting resources.  But some guys you just have to get on your roster and it's like oh well.  Nick Bolton was like that for KC I think.  Is Ivan Pace one of those guys?

Bolton I believe a little bigger on all fronts -- height, arm length, weight.  I am still high on Pace and been high on him for months.

The reason though why 4.8 would bother me is that it would surprise me if he was the slow.

I'd guess maybe mid 4.6s.  But I admit he's hard to judge -- he has short legs and he could be more quicker than fast.  i am very curious to see how it goes for him at the combine.

What struck me watching him the first time was how he was always around the ball,  I've learned to appreciate that over the years.  I said that in my post back then.  I mentioned at the time Malcom Rodriguez grabbing me when i watched him for the same reason, it surprised me while watching Rodriguez because I saw so little hype for him.  I watched him late right before the draft as I was trying to cram through players who at that point I didn't watch yet. 

If you recall you did too and mentioned him as you did your top 100 and I commented right away liking him too,  Now Rodriguez is also similar size to Pace but he ran a 4.52.

Been i think a couple of months since I watched Pace.  but the other things if I recall liking about him is for a small dude he sheds tackles relatively well.  And as a pass rusher, he has some legit moves including a wicked spin move.   The typically LB I watch who get sacks often get them by rushing headlong at the QB without much of a plan and get there by hustle.  Pace has more in his arsenal than that.  He is just a ball of energy on the field.

Juxtapose that with lets say Dorian Williams who the draft media seems much higher on and I watch him and I have a hard time falling for him because while he clearly looks like a good fluid athlete he seems to get lost in traffic for way too many plays for my liking.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

If Pace runs a 4.8 he's a day three pick if at all. Unless he runs a sub 4.5 I still wouldn't draft him on day two.

Yeah I get that.  The reason I cited 4.8 is because I've read that number on him before, but who knows what he'll actually run after training for the combine?  4.8 would be a bad time for his draft stock no doubt, but he looks fast on film and in his drills.

I think I'm coming around to being OK with reaching on him though.  There does feel like there is something special there in him.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Hard to say. I don't know what's on the board. But realistically I'd start looking to take him when I don't have anyone higher rated on my board. 

Your gut was he's a second round value = roughly a top 60 player in the class.  My gut says we're going to look back on this class in a few years and consider him to easily be a top 60 player in the class.

It kind of feels like he's the best linebacker in the class, and I can envision a future where that hunch gets proven out true.  He's a got a George Kittle type of big personality where he lives and breathes the game, but it's fun for him, not a joyless obsession.  True love.

You get into trouble in teambuilding when you think you're smarter than everyone else in the business.  And I do believe in the truism that big guys beat up little guys.  But sometimes you have to go with your gut.  Since we can't truly know what other teams boards are like, if we want this dude on our team, then we need to be prepared to reach for him.  I'm coming around to a position where I'm OK spending that third round comp pick on him.  I'd prefer the fourth rounder, but I could go as high as the third rounder.  I won't take him at 47 because that is too much risk for me.  There are going to be some beasts on the board at 47.  But I'll reach on him at that comp pick and feel like he has a real shot to make me look smart.

The reason I'm doing this is because I'm trying to build my masterpiece mock draft.  I'm going Dawand Jones and Cody Mauch with the first two picks, and thinking Pace and Brents with the next two.  It'd be a lot easier to get all of my favorite prospects if we're able to move down from 16 and get a third and still get Jones.

Anyway, the next question with Pace is where does he fit in our defense?  What kind of role does he play for us?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah I get that.  The reason I cited 4.8 is because I've read that number on him before, but who knows what he'll actually run after training for the combine?  4.8 would be a bad time for his draft stock no doubt, but he looks fast on film and in his drills.

I think I'm coming around to being OK with reaching on him though.  There does feel like there is something special there in him.

Your gut was he's a second round value = roughly a top 60 player in the class.  My gut says we're going to look back on this class in a few years and consider him to easily be a top 60 player in the class.

It kind of feels like he's the best linebacker in the class, and I can envision a future where that hunch gets proven out true.  He's a got a George Kittle type of big personality where he lives and breathes the game, but it's fun for him, not a joyless obsession.  True love.

You get into trouble in teambuilding when you think you're smarter than everyone else in the business.  And I do believe in the truism that big guys beat up little guys.  But sometimes you have to go with your gut.  Since we can't truly know what other teams boards are like, if we want this dude on our team, then we need to be prepared to reach for him.  I'm coming around to a position where I'm OK spending that third round comp pick on him.  I'd prefer the fourth rounder, but I could go as high as the third rounder.  I won't take him at 47 because that is too much risk for me.  There are going to be some beasts on the board at 47.  But I'll reach on him at that comp pick and feel like he has a real shot to make me look smart.

The reason I'm doing this is because I'm trying to build my masterpiece mock draft.  I'm going Dawand Jones and Cody Mauch with the first two picks, and thinking Pace and Brents with the next two.  It'd be a lot easier to get all of my favorite prospects if we're able to move down from 16 and get a third and still get Jones.

Anyway, the next question with Pace is where does he fit in our defense?  What kind of role does he play for us?

I think he fits as an ILB, personally. And yes, I will have him as a top 50 player in the draft class.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Where does he rank as a LBer?

Would you take him over Sanders, Simpson, Overshown, Sewell, To'o To'o, Pappoe?

Sewell probably not.

Simpson, yes. Different role imo. Simpson is a better player, Pace is a better ILB.

Yes to Overshown, but I like him.

To'o To'o Yes, but it's close.

Pappoe haven't watched.

Jack Campbell is close.

I'm not as high on Sanders as many. It's why I asked you to sell me on him. So yes. 

Henley... toss a coin. Was inclined to say yes but thinking about it... no.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

As this discussion was going on, I rewatched Pace for the first time in months, the Arkansas game.  It reminded me why I posted about a couple of months ago -- why does this dude not get any hype, i can't keep my eyes off of him when watching him.

Aside from the play recogintion and finding his way to the thick of the action on play after play and does so with total gusto, a ball of energy -- which for me is the most important trait and fits to a tee Malcom Rodriguez or back in the day London Fletcher.  The thing that really makes me infatuated with him is how he contorts his body almost like a slippery running back -- its why despite his size he can shed tackles at times albiet he can get enveloped by O linemen.  And its why he's such a handful as a pass rusher.

I was high on Parsons as a pass rusher before that draft, I picked that as by far his super power.  And not that it was hard to see or I was alone on that.   But I recall one of the reasons why I was high on Parsons in that way was that he was so slippery and relentless on that front, he wasn't going to be denied and he wasn't just charging on a straight line.  Most LBs I watch get sacks by O line missed assignments or just by using their speed and running by O lineman who aren't quick enough coming off their stance to react. 

Pace IMO is like Parsons in his relentless approach, he will counter, slip, spin move -- he won't be denied.  Obviously he doesn't have Parson's size or speed.   But their approaches remind me of each other.  That is, the Penn State version of Parsons.

On this team, I think he can play any of the LBs spots, prefer him on the weak side.  We typically play just 2 or even 1 LBs.  I'd trust him to man either spot.  

But the thing for me about him is double A blitzes -- or having him coming off the edge lined up in passing downs maybe wide 9 next to Young or Sweat.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I got to get to watching Henley.  Maybe this weekend.  In McShay-Kipers last podcast, they were gushing.

I look at Henley and Pace as very similar players.

The key difference will size and speed. If Henley is faster than Pace he is definitely better.

But as players their film is high end.

Henley could be my ILB1 when it's over and done with. Pace not far behind. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The key difference will size and speed. If Henley is faster than Pace he is definitely better.

They talked about him even going in the first but then seem to settle on the 2nd.  They said he handled at the Senior Bowl pass catching RBs in the open field like it was a piece of cake. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

They talked about him even going in the first but then seem to settle on the 2nd.  They said he handled at the Senior Bowl pass catching RBs in the open field like it was a piece of cake. 

His film pops like Pace's. Lots of fun to watch.

• Like 1

CJ Stroud was on Pat McAfee today. Not sure how I felt about the way he handled it.

He’s mature and intelligent as hell. And I’m pretty sure he’s a worker… But he’s cashing receipts on people and he’s not even a pro yet. I can’t decide if I ****ing loved that or if I thought it was too much.

Seems like a good guy.

Talks fast as hell (not a knock. Observation).

Said he hasn’t decided if he’s throwing at the combine… Will if he’s healthy. But definitely won’t be running the 40. Smart. Not worth the risk.

Also said he’s been dealing with an injury all year (didn’t say what)

Edited by KDawg

20 hours ago, KDawg said:

Can't wait to read your take on the LB's when you go through them! I'm also interested in how you would compare some of their play to  Holcombs

From what little I've seen Henley looks really good and quicker than Pace. I worry Pace being a big liability in space

Pace is better than all of the LB's in traffic. Those instincts are killer!!!

I could see Henley going in the second round due to the speed, ahead of some of the more highly recognized players

All of the LB's have holes in their game. The 3rd round feels right for most of them but some will go too early. I do like Campbell here but he probably goes in the 2nd

With all of the pressing needs the team has, I am thinking they look at FA for LB. Bring in a LB in the 4th-5th round which is too late for what we need.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Can't wait to read your take on the LB's when you go through them! I'm also interested in how you would compare some of their play to  Holcombs

From what little I've seen Henley looks really good and quicker than Pace. I worry Pace being a big liability in space

Pace is better than all of the LB's in traffic. Those instincts are killer!!!

I could see Henley going in the second round due to the speed, ahead of some of the more highly recognized players

All of the LB's have holes in their game. The 3rd round feels right for most of them but some will go too early. I do like Campbell here but he probably goes in the 2nd

With all of the pressing needs the team has, I am thinking they look at FA for LB. Bring in a LB in the 4th-5th round which is too late for what we need.

Oh, I've already gone through the Lbs in my prelim takes. 

Here is my current ranking... But it's evolving.

image.png.887f83fd5fae9c327c1d76490adfb8f1.png

Sewell has all the physical traits, but his film doesn't pop like the next three guys. 

Simpson is explosive but I'm not sold on him as an inside backer so it's really hard to rate him. I may have to move him to a "hybrid" position. 

The next three are my favorite backers on film. Henley and Pace are equal in the sense they can cover, blitz, get side line to side line and are just absolute dogs. 

Campbell is more of a traditional ILB type. Can cover for sure, so he's not out of place on a modern day defense. But he's not all over the field like the other two. But he is a thumper who is a big body and can take hits and shed blockers. .

To'oto'o is a good player who someone will be happy with, but he's one of those mid ceiling mid floor types. 

Drew Sanders I just can't get a feel for. I like him enough but he's more of an edge than a ILB. His biggest asset is his pass rush. But he is a semi liability in the run game as an off-ball backer. He is RAW as hell there, to be fair. He is a high ceiling prospect. But if he stays as an off-ball guy he's got a lot of growing to do. He just switched there so he can grow. 

Williams is another mid ceiling mid floor type.

Overshown is a guy I actually really like. But he's not really a ILB. He's more like Simpson. But he can play on the interior. Just not a three-down interior guy. He'd need to move around a bit to be best utilized. 

Shaka Heyward doesn't have very impressive film.

Was actually watching some miscellaneous defensive guys now so there will be some updates.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Oh, I've already gone through the Lbs in my prelim takes. 

Here is my current ranking... But it's evolving.

image.png.887f83fd5fae9c327c1d76490adfb8f1.png

Sewell has all the physical traits, but his film doesn't pop like the next three guys. 

Simpson is explosive but I'm not sold on him as an inside backer so it's really hard to rate him. I may have to move him to a "hybrid" position. 

The next three are my favorite backers on film. Henley and Pace are equal in the sense they can cover, blitz, get side line to side line and are just absolute dogs. 

Campbell is more of a traditional ILB type. Can cover for sure, so he's not out of place on a modern day defense. But he's not all over the field like the other two. But he is a thumper who is a big body and can take hits and shed blockers. .

To'oto'o is a good player who someone will be happy with, but he's one of those mid ceiling mid floor types. 

Drew Sanders I just can't get a feel for. I like him enough but he's more of an edge than a ILB. His biggest asset is his pass rush. But he is a semi liability in the run game as an off-ball backer. He is RAW as hell there, to be fair. He is a high ceiling prospect. But if he stays as an off-ball guy he's got a lot of growing to do. He just switched there so he can grow. 

Williams is another mid ceiling mid floor type.

Overshown is a guy I actually really like. But he's not really a ILB. He's more like Simpson. But he can play on the interior. Just not a three-down interior guy. He'd need to move around a bit to be best utilized. 

Shaka Heyward doesn't have very impressive film.

Was actually watching some miscellaneous defensive guys now so there will be some updates.

Wow this is great

I am with you on many, a little surprised Overshown is that low. Was it ability in traffic that dinged him up?

I have not seen Heyward or Williams at all. Look forward to checking them out down the road. They may be the mid round group we will be forced to dip into. Wondering if To'oto'o falls that far also (to the 4th?)

Miscellaneous:

Owen Pappoe, Auburn, ILB - One of the positives that really sticks out to me is how fast he covers ground. He gets sideline to sideline real well. Seems to be a strong tackler, too. Good wrap, sticky as a tackler, too. He doesn't get shed real easy. I like how he takes on OL with his hands. Gets good extension and keeps their large bodies off of him. Real explosive upper body. But watching Auburn, their other inside linebacker Wesley Steiner is actually better at recognition. Pappoe gets caught on boot fakes, sometimes he is caught flowing the wrong way with misdirection because he is preoccupied with getting off of a block (which is good that he's focused on that, but he tends to get tunnel vision on film).

Ventrell Miller, Florida, ILB - In previous threads I saw potential in him. He certainly has flashes. But I watched his game against Tennessee here and... I'm not sure what he was doing? Good motor. But I watched a fumble recovery that he got in this game and it looks like he was knocked down and the ball squirted out and it kind of stuck to his chest. Not totally out on him but Hendon Hooker worked him pretty good in this game with fakes. And he struggles getting off of blocks. 

Tyrique Stevenson, CB/Return Man, Miami - Stevenson is electric. When he has the ball or has a chance to get the ball (like he's in position for a pick) he is among the absolute best on the defensive side of the ball in this draft class. He has a nose for the ball and he is a good tackler. Among the best tacklers in this draft class at the DB spot. He's very good in press. But he's also a little bit grabby, undisciplined against double moves and he is such a ballhawk that he sometimes jumps routes that aren't there. He will need to work on route recognition. He is a very high ceiling guy but as a DB he has a fairly low floor, too. As a return man I think he has a ton of potential... which makes his versatility and potential a VERY high end draftable player. But as a DB I'm not sure how to rank him...

Drake Thomas, NC State, ILB - Haven't seen him talked about much. This guy is a dog, too. Another sideline to sideline guy, explosive as a blitzer, powerful as a tackler. Strong. Athletic. Can rush off the edge or up the gut. Plays with good balance. Can take a hit that looks devastating and still continue through and make the play. I think he's more of a 4-3 OLB type and less of a Mike or a 4-2 ILB, but I think he sure as hell can play there. Was also a captain. Doesn't hesitate at all. He reads, diagnoses and goes. He does struggle a little to get off blocks. But I think he's similar to Pace/Henley for me as a backer. Hesitant to move him too high on the ILB list for now. Need to spend more time with him. But I really like him. Consider me intrigued. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Wow this is great

I am with you on many, a little surprised Overshown is that low. Was it ability in traffic that dinged him up?

I have not seen Heyward or Williams at all. Look forward to checking them out down the road. They may be the mid round group we will be forced to dip into. Wondering if To'oto'o falls that far also (to the 4th?)

So the conversation about Pace being small framed semi sets the table for Overshown. 

I think Pace is smaller framed but plays like he's a lot bigger than he is. I think Overshown plays smaller (but not as a knock). He plays more like a safety than an inside backer. But he is fun to watch and all over the field. It's why I added the caveat. I think as a player he may be better than some of the guys rated ahead of him... but as an INSIDE BACKER I don't love him. 

Went back and watched him a bit more again just now to make sure I didn't watch his '22 stuff with film fatigue and I think it strengthened my take. He is more of a hybrid coverage backer than an inside guy... but he can certainly play inside. But it would be a waste of his ability to be stuck as an interior backer. Overshown has such great range in coverage and versatility in his skill set and being an inside backer vs. run is some of his weakest play (though not bad). He is extremely athletic. I wouldn't want to use him taking on OL all game. I want him ranging and making plays.

I will say that I moved him to "hybrid"... and I think he is above Simpson for me right now. But it's close. That's going to take some framing and thinking. 

So it's not that I don't like DeMarvion as a prospect. It's that I just don't think he's a ILB. His ranking as an ILB should speak wonders about him... for a guy who I don't think should be playing exclusively on the interior he's still pretty good at it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So the conversation about Pace being small framed semi sets the table for Overshown. 

I think Pace is smaller framed but plays like he's a lot bigger than he is. I think Overshown plays smaller (but not as a knock). He plays more like a safety than an inside backer. But he is fun to watch and all over the field. It's why I added the caveat. I think as a player he may be better than some of the guys rated ahead of him... but as an INSIDE BACKER I don't love him. 

Went back and watched him a bit more again just now to make sure I didn't watch his '22 stuff with film fatigue and I think it strengthened my take. He is more of a hybrid coverage backer than an inside guy... but he can certainly play inside. But it would be a waste of his ability to be stuck as an interior backer. Overshown has such great range in coverage and versatility in his skill set and being an inside backer vs. run is some of his weakest play (though not bad). He is extremely athletic. I wouldn't want to use him taking on OL all game. I want him ranging and making plays.

I will say that I moved him to "hybrid"... and I think he is above Simpson for me right now. But it's close. That's going to take some framing and thinking. 

So it's not that I don't like DeMarvion as a prospect. It's that I just don't think he's a ILB. His ranking as an ILB should speak wonders about him... for a guy who I don't think should be playing exclusively on the interior he's still pretty good at it. 

Great breakdown and insight, thanks

I am a Overshown fan, if only he could work through junk a little better lol. Like I stated prior, these guys all are good players with certain deficiencies.

That's why I really don't see us taking a LB until at least the 3rd round. I think he goes in the 2nd round.

There are a substantial number of good hybrid types in this draft, mostly from the Safety title of course.

As an aside, the more my thought processes evolve the more I get into internal debates with how to rank guys.

I value film over all. But I also understand that there are "prototype" sizes and speeds for each position for a reason. I also understand that freak athleticism brings a higher ceiling to some guys.

So a guy who has every prototypical trait and flashes on film but is otherwise meh vs. a guy who has tremendous film and meh prototype traits is a tough conversation for me to weigh. 

I think of guys like Anthony Richardson, who is the most physically gifted QB in the class and flashes extremely well at times with a ridiculous deep ball and good accuracy but overall borderline bad production vs. a guy like Hendon Hooker who still semi fits the prototypes but not as gifted, is older, has more experience, dealing with an injury. Or a guy like Bryce Young, who's film pops off the page but his physical traits are low end.

I think, of those three, I have them as Young, Richardson, Hooker. But I think Hooker is the safest of all three. So is that really a good ranking? It agrees with the hivemind, but am I comfortable with it?

I don't know. I think the injury makes me a bit more comfortable with the ranking as is. But I really think Hooker is the safest of the three prospects but he doesn't have the same ceiling as the other two.

But that doesn't mean Hooker couldn't evolve into being a franchise guy. 

If I am grading ceilings I think I have Hooker around Jalen Hurts (which is high end for sure), Richardson as Allen and Young as Mahomes. 

So in that sense, as of THIS moment, I think that supports my original ranking.

But floor wise I think I have Young as Kyler Murray (who may still flame out... it's just taken time to get there), Richardson as Dwayne Haskins and Hooker as a bigger, better armed version of Heinicke. 

So that would support my ranking as Young, Hooker, Richardson. 

Having some of the same thoughts in other positions, too. Ivan Pace vs. Noah Sewell. Sewell was certainly a staple for the Oregon D and physically he has every damn trait you could want. But he finished 2022 with 55 tackles, 5.5 for loss and 1.5 sacks. The production just wasn't there... 

Meanwhile Ivan Pace had 136 tackles, 20.5 for loss and 9 sacks. How do you keep Sewell above him?

Henley is 106 tackles, 12 for loss, and 4 sacks... but he entered college in 2017, so he's older. Physically he's bigger than Pace and his film looks similar. He's going to be faster than pace as well... But he's much older.

So how do you really weigh that?

Jack Campbell had 125 tackles, 5.5 for loss and 1 sack. So closer to Sewell except MUCH more active. 

This post has inspired me to flip my LB rankings a bit. But it's hard for me to put Pace as LB1 despite my gut because he doesn't fit that prototype. But I value the film so damn much.

Henley would be a good candidate for LB1 but he is older.

I think Henley, Pace, Campbell, Sewell is my new ranking as of now. But it's really hard to put Sewell that low given how traitsy he is. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KDawg said:

CJ Stroud was on Pat McAfee today. Not sure how I felt about the way he handled it.

He’s mature and intelligent as hell. And I’m pretty sure he’s a worker… But he’s cashing receipts on people and he’s not even a pro yet. I can’t decide if I ****ing loved that or if I thought it was too much.

Seems like a good guy.

Talks fast as hell (not a knock. Observation).

Said he hasn’t decided if he’s throwing at the combine… Will if he’s healthy. But definitely won’t be running the 40. Smart. Not worth the risk.

Also said he’s been dealing with an injury all year (didn’t say what)

Yeah I saw the interview too. He comes across as very confident. He's also a team first guy(was propping up his teammates including the K that missed in the playoff game). 

If it weren't for our unstable ownership/coaching situation I'd be thrilled to take a shot at trading up for him if he fell to like 5 or 6(probably won't though but never know). I think long term he'll be a better pro than Young(but I'm probably the only guy outside of Colombus Ohio and his immediate family that think that).

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I saw the interview too. He comes across as very confident. He's also a team first guy(was propping up his teammates including the K that missed in the playoff game). 

If it weren't for our unstable ownership/coaching situation I'd be thrilled to take a shot at trading up for him if he fell to like 5 or 6(probably won't though but never know). I think long term he'll be a better pro than Young(but I'm probably the only guy outside of Colombus Ohio and his immediate family that think that).

I’m leaning that way as a possibility. But Young is just so special as a playmaker it’s hard to fully commit to it. But Stroud has the physicality of the position and the production. Tough to weigh. 

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think Henley, Pace, Campbell, Sewell is my new ranking as of now. But it's really hard to put Sewell that low given how traitsy he is. 

I seem to evaluate and have likes more on par with you on many players.

I like Hooker at QB too.

Henley too small, Pace to small and slow blah blah. Good players!!!! You are right

I like your updated LB version better as well. While questioning how I rank the top 3, back and forth on all of them but they are my top 3 and Overshown before Sewell although like you said, he could prove better than the rest, his film and stats do not reflect that. Watch him move up boards with workout numbers (I hope so others will grab him earlier) 

• Like 1