Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

No way I’m taking Mayer at 16. His ceiling doesn’t warrant that. I want one of the offensive lineman unless Gonzalez or Witherspoon slip. I think Darnell Wright is the “realistic” pick I like most at 16. 

if we’re talking about “safe” picks that most expect to be available, I’ll take Brian Branch over any of the tight ends easily. 

Edited by terpfan
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

If Washington is still one the board at the end of Day 1, I'd be blowing up someones phone Thursday night. Especially if we've already picked up a LT. I doubt Washington will drop as far as 47, but I like him a lot. (Kuntz would be a good consolation prize if we spend 47 on a ILB or CB)

lol, its well documented that i like Washington a lot.  I don't think though I'd trade up for him or any of these TEs.  Even though i love who I think are the top 4 TEs and Washington is in that group.

I spent most of yesterday working on seperating my takes on the RBs, that was tough because so many of them are close for me.  But nothing beats spending most of the day watching one spot back to back so it helped me.  So at least in my mind i think I finally got it down where i am confortable with my RB list -- these type of lists helps me enjoy the draft for whatever reason.  

For TE, for whatever quirky reason every year I delve into the most so seperating these guys in my mind comes easier.  The whole TE conversation this morning helped me though formulate my final list at this spot.   It's what i posted below.  As for my rankings where I list it by round.  I use the Brugler style where I rate what round type of player I think the player is -- some of that is where I think he will fall but most of it is where I rate the player. 

I got to do this for edge next.  I started working on it today.  That is going to be really hard for me because there are like 10 players or so for me in the 3rd-5th round who feel so similar caliber wise.  But i'll rewatch them all back to back.  It will help kill the time for me between now and Thursday. :ols:

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 12.37.01 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

I can't 'splain it, but so far I've had pretty much zero interest in our draft, who we might get, who has visited, who we are reported to be targeting, etc, etc...none. I actully forgot the draft was coming up until I saw a tweet about it lol. This is a bizarre feeling...can't explain it. Only thing I could think of (and I laughed it off as unlikely) is that the roster is probably as solid as it's been in 30 years and we already have what could be our franchise QB on the roster who is being given every opportunity to prove that he will be. OLine needs genuine upgrade but I don't get excited about the draft because a top rate guard might fall to our spot lol...It's not due to losing interest in the team, if anything my interest is highter now that Snyder is gonna be on his way out. I just don't care for some reason.

I even used to read all the long-ass write-ups posted on these threads for like a month or two before the draft...came in here now to do that and gave up like 2 sentences in on one post lol. Was like "Eh" and kept scrolling. What's a good way of getting hyped up about this draft? I need suggestions...

16 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

OLine needs genuine upgrade but I don't get excited about the draft because a top rate guard might fall to our spot lol...It's not due to losing interest in the team, if anything my interest is highter now that Snyder is gonna be on his way out. I just don't care for some reason.

I even used to read all the long-ass write-ups posted on these threads for like a month or two before the draft...came in here now to do that and gave up like 2 sentences in on one post lol. Was like "Eh" and kept scrolling. What's a good way of getting hyped up about this draft? I need suggestions...

Speaking for myself its tough for me to get hyped for the draft without being familiar with the players in the draft.    

O line feels boring in theory but think of it this way -- we are playing in a division with some ferocious D lines.  Envision someone like  Dawand Jones, Anton Harrison, Darnell Wright, Torrence, etc dealing with it.  Ditto how our offense fell apart without a starting center.  Then watch Michael-Schmitz, Tippman, Wypler, Stromberg, Forsyth in that context.

And if O line is boring.  Good chance they also take a CB, S, TE, RB, edge.  So maybe pick a position you like and go to town on it in that mix.

lol, granted you don't have a lot of time to cram.  My best guess is in your shoes, if you have time and the interest, I'd watch or read about.

O line:

Dawand Jones

Darnell Wright

Anton Harrison

Broderick Jones

Matthew Bergeron

Joe Tippman

Rciky Stromberg

Tyler Steen

Steve Avila

O Cyrus Torrence

CB

Deonte Banks

Joey Porter

Emmanuel Forbes

Kelee Ringo

DJ Turner

Julius Brents

Tough to guess which specific players in other spots

RB (maybe)

Tyjae Spears

Chase Brown

Zach Evans

Eric Gray 

(judging by them poking around)

TE

Dalton Kincaid

Luke Musgrave

Darnell Washington

Sam Laporta

Tucker Kraft.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

II even used to read all the long-ass write-ups posted on these threads for like a month or two before the draft...came in here now to do that and gave up like 2 sentences in on one post lol. Was like "Eh" and kept scrolling. What's a good way of getting hyped up about this draft? I need suggestions...

Pick the 4 spots you believe we need to upgrade (for me it's OT,ILB, CB, and TE.) Then try to pick the order of need, vs luxury pick. Read up on the top 5 at each position and figure who you really want. That's it, only 4 positions. The rest is just reason to be pizzed we drafted a LS when your #2 ILB was still on the board. And excited to watch your CB #3 is available when we pick (during a commercial of course) in 4 more spots.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Me too exactly.  I've had Dawand 2nd on my list when I ranked them for quite some time.

But the character stuff -- especially the weight issues has me on pause.  At this point there is enough smoke tot eh fire that I expect him to perhaps to drop to to the 2nd.

If he did actually cancel his visit here, can’t see us taking him at all.

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

He will be a very well rounded, solid tight end for years to come.

Yep that’s how I’d sum up Mayer. For me there is no wow, it’s more that everything just looks very solid. Very good.

I’ve only recently watch Kincaid. His receiver skill set looks off the charts as a comparison for me. Real wow factor. Just receiving though....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Mayer seems like the kind of player who is going to be one of the better, underappreciated type of role players on one of the better teams in the league, for the next 10-15 years.

Mayer is like a Kerrigan type player comparison for me. Ability wise of course. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

If he did actually cancel his visit here, can’t see us taking him at all.

I just never feel comfortable guessing based on circumstances when there is a mixed narrative.  We got the ESPN report saying this team has poked around a ton on Dawand and has shown major interest.  And then we got the other report that Dawand cancelled because he felt we have a RT already.  i don't know.   They met with him at the combine, senior bowl.

If I had to guess what O lineman they end up with right now.  If they stick to 16, Darnell Wright.  If they trade down:  Anton Harrison or O Cyrus Torrence -- or maybe if they trade to the bottom of the first - Bergeron or Aviila.   But I don't rule out Dawand. 

Wonder about Mauch a little -- they haven't met with him as much but he has high intangibles, smart dude -- maybe they don't feel like they need to.  Judging by mocks he's gone from a dude who could creep into the late first to now almost for sure he will be there at 47.  I am not sure what to make of it.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

5th-6th.  Whyle-Mallory-Kuntz.  Also like.  Mallory IMO high intangibles, good seperator, fastest TE in this class.  Whyle has good hands, good blocker.  Kuntz has freakish athleticism, high upside, seems like a good dude from what I've read.  

Kuntz, along with Freeland, Gaines and Byron Young (Tenn) were the elite type athletes I had an eye on pre combine. Clearly does not mean they will be great players :)

• Like 1

2023 NFL draft rankings: Matt Miller's top 368 prospects

Prospects with a 90-plus grade

1. Will Anderson Jr., OLB, Alabama (96)
2. Bryce Young, QB, Alabama (96)
3. Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas (96)
4. C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State (95)
5. Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State (95)
6. Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia (95)
7. Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois (95)
8. Tyree Wilson, DE, Texas Tech (94)
9. Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern (93)
10. Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon (93)
11. Lukas Van Ness, DE, Iowa (93)
12. Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia (93)
13. Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State (93)
14. Nolan Smith, OLB, Georgia (93)
15. Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State (93)
16. Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida (92)
17. Myles Murphy, DE, Clemson (92)
18. Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame (91)
19. Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah (91)
20. Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee (91)
21. Calijah Kancey, DT, Pittsburgh (91)
22. Deonte Banks, CB, Maryland (91)
23. Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College (90)
24. Jordan Addison, WR, USC (90)
25. Will Levis, QB, Kentucky (90)
26. Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee (90)
27. Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee (90)
28. Brian Branch, S, Alabama (90)
29. Will McDonald, OLB, Iowa State (90)
30. Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia (90)
31. Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU (90)
32. Felix Anudike-Uzomah, DE, Kansas State (90)
33. Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State (90)
34. Keion White, DE, Georgia Tech (90)

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Although he's an older prospect, I think Schoonmaker could be one of the best values in the draft. I'm with you all concerning LaPorta. He's going to be a good one.

Shoonmaker will be 25 years old.   Decent at seperating, really good hands, good catch radius.  Willing blocker -- not the most physical player when it comes to YAC or contested catches.

His athleiticism judging by combine numbers are elite.  High floor player IMO -- medium ceiling. 

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Kuntz, along with Freeland, Gaines and Byron Young (Tenn) were the elite type athletes I had an eye on pre combine. Clearly does not mean they will be great players :)

That reminds me I got to watch Byron Young.  I keep reading good things about him.  I've watched a ton of edge rushers.  But there are still about 7 or so that i need to get to, he among them.

• Like 1

Could a Team Trade Up For Paris Johnson Third Overall?

I posted a tweet on Saturday stating at least one team is looking to trade up with Arizona for an offensive lineman. That lineman is Paris Johnson Jr., the left tackle from Ohio State. Some people lost their minds over the tweet, but it makes complete sense.

Johnson is the 7th rated player on my big board, so taking him with the third pick of the draft is not much of a reach. In a draft void of talent at the left tackle spot, Johnson has cemented himself as the best in this class. While the league has gone QB crazy in round one, left tackle is still a position that teams covet in the early part of the draft, and there aren’t many good ones in 2023.

Northwestern lineman Peter Skoronski is being compared to Brandon Scherff by people I’ve spoken with- a college tackle who’ll play guard in the NFL and then go on to be a multiple Pro Bowl performer.

Could Jalen Carter be Heading to Seattle?

The belief around the league is Seattle will use the fifth pick of the draft to select Jalen Carter, something I tweeted earlier this week. And while that may be the belief around the league, I can’t say that’s the feeling inside the Seattle war room.

MORE: 2023 NFL Draft Order: Current List of Every Pick from Round 1 to Round 7

There may be some hesitancy from Seattle to hand Carter the $30 million in guarantees that come along with selecting him as the fifth pick. There is a feeling that people outside the Seattle organization seem more confident of what the franchise will do with the fifth pick than the Seahawks themselves.

Jaxon Smith-Njigba the Clear Cut WR1

After speaking with more than two dozen people I don’t think there is any doubt Jaxon Smith-Njigba is the first receiver selected in the 2023 NFL Draft. He’s been the top player at the position since my first big board was released back in February. I heard two interesting nuggets on Smith-Njiba this weekend.

First, the Philadelphia Eagles are making a late push on the wideout and doing a lot of work on him in recent days. Second, Smith-Njiba is definitely part of the conversation for the Jets at 13 if the offensive tackles are off the board. I was told outright that the Jets are absolutely considering Smith-Njiba with that pick. Both bits of news surprised me, yet I was able to confirm each of them.

If no offensive tackle is available to the Jets at 13, I believe they are in a perfect position to trade down. There will be several teams wanting to trade up for one of the bigger cornerbacks still available (likely Deonte Banks or Joey Porter Jr.) as well as franchises who’ll want to move up to acquire Smith-Njigba.

The Dallas Cowboys have been calling around and doing a lot of last-minute work on the receivers. They are not just calling college coaches of receivers they have an interest in, but people outside the organization they consult with on college prospects.

Getting back to the cornerback position, Deonte Banks is the hot name at the position right now and looks as though he’s going to be selected earlier than most believe. I’m told there is a real possibility Banks could surpass Joey Porter Jr and end up as the third cornerback off the board.

Calijah Kancey’s First-Round Potential

I’ve never been as high on Kancey as most, and I don’t think he’s a great first-round projection. The size (6’1”, 281 pounds), lack of growth potential, and short arms (just over 30.5 inches) worry me. Despite my opinion, everything I’ve been told in recent days points to Kancey being a lock as a first-round pick.

Who would select him in the first round? If I was a betting man, I’d go with the New Orleans Saints. The franchise has been digging deep into Kancey and burning the phone lines talking with his coaches at Pittsburgh recently to get as much detail as possible on the defensive tackle.

Two weeks ago, during the Football Insiders show with Trey Wingo and Brett Yaris, I mentioned Philadelphia Eagles general manager Howie Roseman, “loves Northwestern defensive lineman Adetomiwa Adebawore.”

And while Roseman loves him, it does not seem likely that the Eagles take him with the 30th pick. The Eagles defense will be going to more of a 3-4 the upcoming season and would be looking for a two-gap lineman as opposed to the one-gap/three-technique defender Adebawore projects to be.

I don't have access to those cut ups.  And i am obnoxious as is, defending-pushing both players Nagy references (Mayer-Mallory).  I might be even more so apparently with access to the cut ups. :D

It wouldn't shock me if they draft Mallory if they don't take a TE earlish.    

He has two things going for him that seem to fit both what Bieiniemy and Rivera especially like.

A.  For Bieniemy -- speed

B.  For Rivera -- high character-leadership

42 catches, 542 yards.  7.2 YAC.  And that is with mostly poor QB play. 

If they like (am getting the impression they do) the Dalton Kincaid, Sam Laporta variety of move TEs.  Mallory plays that type of brand IMO, he's not as good as them but if you don't take a TE early -- he's a good get IMO in the mid rounds. 

I don't think we can go wrong with any of the mid tier TEs if we take one in round 3 or 4. 

My ideal draft is probably OT in the 1st(unless Gonzalez or Witherspoon fall to 16), DB or C in the 2nd, then TE in the 3rd. From round 4 on just find fast athletic freak types that we can develop, especially someone who can return kicks/punts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't have access to those cut ups.  And i am obnoxious as is, defending-pushing both players Nagy references (Mayer-Mallory).  I might be even more so apparently with access to the cut ups. :D

He has two things going for him that seem to fit both what Bieiniemy and Rivera especially like.

If they like (am getting the impression they do) the Dalton Kincaid, Sam Laporta variety of move TEs.  Mallory plays that type of brand IMO, he's not as good as them but if you don't take a TE early -- he's a good get IMO in the mid rounds. 

Matt Miller has us taking Mallory with our first pick in the 6th round. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Matt Miller has us taking Mallory with our first pick in the 6th round. 

Thanks for the heads up, here is late first through deep in the 2nd. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/36253479/2023-nfl-mock-draft-seven-round-predictions-259-picks-12-quarterbacks-matt-miller

30. Philadelphia Eagles

Brian Branch, S, Alabama

Branch is the lone safety in this class with a first-round grade, which means teams that need a safety can either draft one early or miss out on starter-level prospects. Branch was a one-year starter at Bama and has experience playing slot cornerback, nickel safety, strong safety and single-high. He's a true do-it-all prospect with fantastic instincts and quickness. The Eagles could make a lot of sense. They are looking to replace C.J. Gardner-Johnson and Branch has the same skill set (and a higher ceiling).

kc.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

31. Kansas City Chiefs

Jordan Addison, WR, USC

"There's no way K.C. uses all [its] picks this year. They'll either trade up or trade out," said one rival GM. But a surprising drop down the board for the receivers allows the Chiefs to select a potential WR1 without moving up. Addison is primarily a slot receiver but has 219 catches and 29 touchdowns over the past three years (two at Pitt). The Chiefs are rumored to be happy with the core group of receivers on the roster, but a sure-handed, savvy route runner like Addison is something the team lacks.

_end_rule.png

ROUND 2

pit.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

32. Pittsburgh Steelers (from CHI)

Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia

Getting younger in the secondary takes priority in Round 2, where the Steelers can draft a high-upside cornerback to learn under Patrick Peterson and push Levi Wallace. Ringo had legitimate first-round buzz before the 2022 season began but struggled in man coverage. He is 6-2, 207 pounds and ran a 4.36 in the 40-yard dash, so the all-around potential is promising. And Pittsburgh has a track record of strong player development.

hou.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

33. Houston Texans

Drew Sanders, ILB, Arkansas

Rarely do you find middle linebacker prospects coming off a 9.5-sack season, but that's the case with Sanders, a transfer from Alabama. Watching him in an early-September practice last year, I was blown away by his sheer size (6-4, 235 pounds) and mobility in space. Coach DeMeco Ryans -- a pretty good linebacker in his own right -- would have a field day scheming up ways to get Sanders involved against the run and passing games.

ari.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

34. Arizona Cardinals

Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma

It's a total rebuild in Arizona with a new front office and new coaching staff. After securing an excellent pass-rusher in the first round, the attention turns to the offensive line in Round 2. The regression of left tackle D.J. Humphries in 2022 and veteran Kelvin Beachum holding down the right side means young O-line talent could be incoming. Harrison is seen as a right tackle by some scouts and his quickness and balance in space have some believing he'll be an early starter on that side if he's able to add power to his game.

ind.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

35. Indianapolis Colts

Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee

The fleet-footed Hyatt is a perfect asset to combine with C.J. Stroud to restart the Colts' offense. Hyatt, who won the 2022 Biletnikoff Award, had 15 touchdowns on 67 catches while averaging 18.9 yards per catch. He's is a vertical stretch burner, and teaming him with Michael Pittman Jr. and Alec Pierce would give Indianapolis a legitimate WR room that can support a young quarterback. With a healthy Jonathan Taylor returning at tailback and a new scheme brought in by coach Shane Steichen, this Colts team would suddenly be one to watch in the AFC South.

lar.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

36. Los Angeles Rams

Keion White, DE, Georgia Tech

Pick a position, and the Rams probably need help there, either now or in the very near future. That sets up for a "best player available" pick. At 284 pounds, White has power and positional versatility. The Rams currently have two street free agents projected to start at defensive end and must add multiple pass-rushers in this draft. White is game-ready and could move throughout the defensive line in Raheem Morris' scheme.

sea.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

37. Seattle Seahawks (from DEN)

Josh Downs, WR, North Carolina

Star wide receiver Tyler Lockett will turn 31 this season and DK Metcalf has an out in his contract after the 2024 season. So the Seahawks could invest at receiver early in this draft. Downs, who dominated from the slot at North Carolina, has a similar build to Lockett at 5-9 and 171 pounds and wins consistently with short-area burst and agility. He is an expert route runner on choice and option plays.

lv.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

38. Las Vegas Raiders

Bryan Bresee, DT, Clemson

Bresee started the 2022 season as a first-round prospect on my board, but he couldn't match his earlier career tape as he made his way back from injury. The Raiders, however, can afford to take a chance on his upside and bet on a healthy Bresee returning to form. At 6-6 and 298 pounds, he has positional versatility and could slide from 5-technique to 3-technique.

car.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

39. Carolina Panthers

Cedric Tillman, WR, Tennessee

The Panthers added Adam Thielen and DJ Chark in free agency, but they still need long-term options. Tillman was red-hot early in the 2022 season (37 catches, three TDs in six games) before a high ankle sprain shut him down. He is a possession receiver who wins on breaking routes like slants and comebacks -- which can boost a young quarterback like Bryce Young.

no.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

40. New Orleans Saints

Will McDonald IV, DE, Iowa State

The Saints steal a potential first-rounder in McDonald, who has excellent quickness in space and a great long-arm pass-rush move. With 33 career sacks, McDonald brings savviness and experience to the NFL and is ready to play right away. Combined with Adetomiwa Adebawore in Round 1, the Saints would have an answer for a pass rush that generated just 18.5 sacks from defensive ends in 2022.

ten.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

41. Tennessee Titans

Jonathan Mingo, WR, Ole Miss

If the Titans are upset about losing A.J. Brown during the 2022 NFL draft, a potential replacement can be found at his alma mater. Mingo is another 6-2, 220-pound pass-catcher from Ole Miss who beats up underneath coverage and runs through tackles in space. He had a breakout season in 2022 with 51 catches and five touchdowns. He had a combine performance in which he ran a 4.46-second 40-yard dash and jumped 39.5 inches in the vertical to really start a draft rise.

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

42. New York Jets (from CLE)

John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota

Much like the Jets' selection in Round 1, the offensive line has to be a priority of this offseason with Aaron Rodgers expected to join the team before the 2023 season. Schmitz is a powerful blocker in space with great mobility to reach linebackers and physicality at the point of attack. He is a seasoned blocker who is NFL-ready, with one NFC area scout comparing him to Creed Humphrey in a conversation at the Senior Bowl.

gb.png&h=110&w=110nyj.png&h=110&w=110

PROJECTED TRADE: Rodgers to the Jets

The Jets, Packers and Aaron Rodgers are all backed into a corner waiting for someone to make a move. The draft will put a deadline in place to get a trade done and I'm projecting the Jets to send the No. 43 pick and a 2024 first-rounder to Green Bay for the future Hall of Fame quarterback. The Jets get the player they want, Rodgers gets to go where he wants, and the Packers get two premium draft picks to start a transition into the Jordan Love era.

gb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

43. Green Bay Packers (from NYJ in mock trade)

Felix Anudike-Uzomah, OLB, Kansas State

Anudike-Uzomah had 20.5 sacks over the past three years and at 6-3 and 255 pounds, he has the body type, length and quickness to play either standing up or with his hand down in the Packers' scheme. He has starter upside and could be the eventual replacement for Preston Smith.

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

44. Atlanta Falcons

Trenton Simpson, ILB, Clemson

Adding speed on defense is the theme of this Atlanta draft so far, with Nolan Smith selected to rush the quarterback, and Simpson picked to be a playmaker at weakside linebacker. Simpson, who ran a 4.43 at the combine, has the rare speed and short-area quickness to be a factor in a pass-coverage and run-defending role.

gb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

45. Green Bay Packers

Tyler Scott, WR, Cincinnati

Rodgers is gone, and the Packers are loading up on pass-catchers. Scott is a legitimate deep threat who can force opposing defenses to play on their heels -- which in turn would open things up for Dalton Kincaid and Christian Watson underneath. Scott had 54 catches and nine scores in 2022 while emerging as a go-to target. The Packers could look for offensive line help here too, but with so many receivers coming off the board early in the round, it's smart to grab another front-line pass-catcher.

ne.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

46. New England Patriots

Julius Brents, CB, Kansas State

The current Patriots' depth chart features smaller cornerbacks in Jonathan Jones and Jack Jones, so I like the addition of a corner with height, length and physicality. Brents, who is 6-3 and 198 pounds with elite traits, would fit the bill. At the combine, Brents jumped 41.5 inches in the vertical, and his speed and burst were on display during Senior Bowl week. Seattle's Tariq Woolen was a fifth-round pick last year, and Brents could make a similar type of impact.

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

47. Washington Commanders

BJ Ojulari, OLB, LSU

The Commanders will have decisions to make on Chase Young and Montez Sweat in the upcoming offseason, so adding a pass-rusher would give the team flexibility in 2024. Ojulari had 16.5 sacks in three seasons at LSU, showcasing speed off the edge and the quickness to beat tackles off the snap. At 6-2 and 248 pounds, he doesn't have elite size, but his burst and motor are starter-level traits.

det.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

48. Detroit Lions

Jack Campbell, ILB, Iowa

There might not be a player in the 2023 draft class who fits better with coach Dan Campbell than Jack Campbell. And it's not just the last name. A true three-down 'backer, Jack Campbell had 246 tackles, 2.5 sacks and four interceptions in his two years as a starter, and he posted elite numbers at the combine. The Lions' defense could use an anchor with his combination of size, length and burst.

pit.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

49. Pittsburgh Steelers

Joe Tippmann, C, Wisconsin

After adding Darnell Wright in the first round, the Steelers can continue to improve the offensive line in the second round. A physical center, Tippmann excels in space but also can throw bodies around at the line of scrimmage. Mason Cole is the team's current starter, but Tippmann -- a two-year starter in a pro-style scheme -- could jump right into the lineup.

tb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

50. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama

The Buccaneers don't currently have a true starter at running back and could use Gibbs' burst in space and ability as a receiver as the team transitions away from the Tom Brady era. Just 5-9 and 199 pounds, Gibbs doesn't have the size to be a 20-carry-per-game player; but like Tony Pollard with Dallas, Gibbs has the tools to be a threat as a runner and a receiver who will be schemed touches, especially on third down.

mia.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

51. Miami Dolphins

O'Cyrus Torrence, G, Florida

With no first-round pick, the Dolphins' first selection addresses an offensive line in flux. Torrence would help answer some of the questions up front by sliding in as a Day 1 starter at right guard. He is a powerful run-blocker who transferred to Florida from Louisiana. Keeping Tua Tagovailoa upright in the pocket has to be the major focus of the Miami front office.

sea.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

52. Seattle Seahawks

Steve Avila, G, TCU

Avila, who can play guard or center, could join 2022 rookies Charles Cross and Abraham Lucas to give Seattle a young trio on the line to build around at an affordable cost. Most scouts I've spoken to believe Avila will ultimately be better at center, which is where he slots in for the Seahawks (replacing Evan Brown). He is ready to play in the NFL right away.

chi.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

53. Chicago Bears (from BAL)

Keeanu Benton, DT, Wisconsin

Defensive tackle is perhaps the biggest area of need for the Bears, but the class is light on starter-level options, and none made sense at No. 9 overall. But at No. 53, Benton could be a rookie starter at 3-technique. He had just nine sacks over four years at Wisconsin, but with power and quickness off the snap, he could be a much more productive interior pass-rusher in the pros once he is allowed to attack gaps and get after the quarterback.

lac.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

54. Los Angeles Chargers

Tuli Tuipulotu, DE, USC

A run on pass-rushers has left that group thin, so jumping on Tuipulotu makes sense. He can line up at tackle, defensive end and outside linebacker. And that versatility combines with great burst off the ball for good value at this pick. For Los Angeles, getting a third pass-rusher and someone who can spell Khalil Mack to keep him fresh throughout the season is a win.

det.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

55. Detroit Lions (from MIN)

Derick Hall, DE, Auburn

After checking off needs at cornerback and defensive tackle in Round 1, the Lions come back on the board and get a potential starter opposite Aidan Hutchinson. Hall has excellent, 34.5-inch arm length to keep blockers off his frame, good speed off the snap and the movement skills to play standing up or down in a three-point stance. With Hutchinson, Hall and 2022 sixth-rounder James Houston, the Lions have a three-man pass-rush rotation at defensive end that can be dangerous.

jax.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

56. Jacksonville Jaguars

Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia

A backup to superstar Brock Bowers at Georgia, Washington had just 45 catches in three seasons, but it is his potential that has NFL teams excited. At 6-7 and 264 pounds, Washington has unreal size and physical traits, including 4.64 speed. He also is the best run-blocking tight end in the entire class. He has the tools to develop into a legitimate three-down player and a red zone nightmare. With Evan Engram primarily a slot player, Washington can help as an in-line player.

nyg.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

57. New York Giants

Cody Mauch, G, North Dakota State

The Giants grab one of the toughest and most versatile offensive linemen in the entire class with Mauch. Considering his 32 3/8-inch arms, some teams believe Mauch is best suited to play on the inside. And he proved he can play either guard or center during Senior Bowl week, which should excite the Giants given the team's need on the interior. The adjustment from the FCS level will take time, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am a big fan of the Senior Bowl week/game with the exposure it gives. Love Nagy's perspectives on the players.

I like Mallory, filled with potential. What I worry about with him is has lack of experience. Will RR be willing to use, lets say their 3rd rounder on a TE that may not be very effective this year. The TE position usually takes time to learn and adjust.

I feel this way with Washington too. The thing with him is he can be mega blocking contributor and occasional receiving threat while learning the rest of his position. Also to me, if they don't go T early, this guy assists the T's and the puts them in the perfect area for a C/G with their next pick. 

2 players on offense that jump out to me when I keep watching other players are Kendre Miller, RB TCU.  And Marvin Mims, WR, Oklahoma.  

Kendre is coming off of an injury so he hasn't done the 40 this off season.  Jahmyr Gibbs is a special back for a number of reasons, one of them is quick feet.  Miller IMO has really quick feet, too.  Hits the hole fast.   Acclerates fast.  Spin move.   Big play waiting to happen.  One cut and he's gone.   

I talked about him weeks back more at length but I've grown to dig him even more over time.  He'd IMO kill it in a one cut and go style zone running scheme -- he accelerates so fast and he's so decisive.   Reputation wise, he's a bit all over the place like how the draft media also sees McBride -- that is, they either love him or see him as "meh".  Personally, I am a big fan.

I am pretty bad this year as to watching WRs, I've watched give or take 10 of them.  I doubt they go WR at least early so dove into other spots much more.  As for some of the late third through 5th round type WRs, I've dug Tyler Scott and Parker Washington.  i also like @KDawg's guy, Charlie Jones. 

I'll add Marvin Mims to that list.  5 '11, 184.  I did mention in the past, its hard to not notice Mims when watching Oklahoma but wanted to double down some after watching a game.

Played outside, mostly X, and some slot in the game i watched.  Seperates well.  Great body control.  Tracks the ball well.  Makes spectacular catches.  I think he'd be a really good slot WR.  Seemed OK as a run blocker. 

Over 20 YPC in the last two years.  Had the third most deep yards last year among college WRs. .  Runs in the 4'3s.   Your poor man's Hyatt, J. Downs -- but not that poor. 

“Marvin is a great human being,” Gabriel said. “He’s smart, super intelligent and cerebral with the way he approaches everything in life. When you have that it sets you up for a lot of positives on the field. He can do anything you asked of him. It’s a great weapon for me.”

https://247sports.com/Article/Marvin-Mims-opens-up-on-almost-transferring-from-Oklahoma-I-just-really-wasnt-happy-190101626/

57COMMENTS

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I like Mallory, filled with potential. What I worry about with him is has lack of experience. Will RR be willing to use, lets say their 3rd rounder on a TE that may not be very effective this year. The TE position usually takes time to learn and adjust.

By lack of experience I gather you are referencing ANY rookie TE?  Because Mallory is one of the most experienced TEs in this crop both in terms of games played and he's one of the few in this group who has 3 years of college production at that spot.

If so, you don't have to make the TE the #1 guy from the jump.  They can ease into the role.  

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

By lack of experience I gather you are referencing ANY rookie TE?  Because Mallory is one of the most experienced TEs in this crop both in terms of games played and he's one of the few in this group who has 3 years of college production at that spot.

If so, you don't have to make the TE the #1 guy from the jump.  They can ease into the role.  

No my bad, got players confused. Starring at too many...:ols: Mallory I think does have more game time than any other TE. I stated previously that he is one of the few really worthy TE's in that fit that next group under the top group of 4 for me.

Also, love your take on Mims/Miller. Means a lot when guys that watch so many players have certain ones that stand out to them.

• Like 1