Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

5 hours ago, formerly4skins said:

PFT/Florio and Peter King are probably pretty close as far as producing content with the sole purpose of crapping on this team...though they're more talking-heads than analytics guys. 

I know.  But this dude is even worse and it goes below the radar to some extent because PFF has overtaken by a mile Football Outsiders as far as garnering attention. 

Football Outsiders start their Washington section in their season guides often with some sort of diatribe against this team.  Aaron really really hates this franchise. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don’t either. Dotson also was injured for a good portion and still tallied 7 TDs. Without looking I think that’s more than McLaurin has had in any single season. Though I think McLaurin had 7 his rookie year as well. 

Robinson was a major get for us. And Howell could be. I think looking back on that draft with what ifs could be dangerous. Nothing says those players look the same in DC.

Not to jinx it but if Howell ends up even average level good and nothing more, that trade which ended up yielding Howell, Robinson, Doston might end up epic.

IMO we haven't seen the best of those three.  Howell obviously so because he barely played.  But Robinson and Dotson we just saw glimpses.  Both thwarted by injuries/gun shots.

Dotson IMO has star potential.  Even though he's small the reason why he's so good in the red zone is he's so dangerous as far as seperating quickly underneath.  He's not uber fast.  But he makes such wicked cuts in open field and is such a sound route runner that he's plenty fast enough to be explosive.

Robinson wasn't 100%.  And they used him as a battering ram which didn't lend to a great YPC.

A better offensive coordinator and more importantly better QB will help both of these dudes.  We arguably are neck and neck with the Jets this past season as for having the worst QB play in the league.  We already saw glimpses of what Dotson can do with Howell. 

As Keim said what the team among other things liked about Howell in his debut is he hit QBs in stride to set up YAC which is something the other QBs here struggled with.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

The way our team is set up, it actually makes me want to draft a first round receiver more this year than last year.

- Terry's contract is big now, which makes rookie deal receivers who are actually good more valuable to us.  Especially if we get that extra first round contract year.

- Jahan and Terry are legit deep threats if we can get the safeties moving off of them.

- Our RBs are good enough that they will be difficult to upgrade in the draft, but not so dominant that they can carry our offense against a loaded box.  A dynamic passing attack is a force multiplier for the power running game we want to establish

- We're having trouble getting good pass pro and it would really help Howell to have a receiver who is an expert at winning fast at the first two levels of the field like Addison/JSN/Mayer

It seems like we're miles away because of how poorly our offense performed last year, but we are like three players and a good OC away from having a dynamic offense.  Get a dominant third weapon, a reliable center, and a good starter for the right side of the line, and they'll be able to move the ball and score with Howell.

Rd 1: Mayer/JSN/Addison

Rd 2: corner?

Rd 3: Olawatimi

Mayer and Addison we probably have to pick at 16 if they are still there, but the mocks have JSN going late and we could probably move down and get another third and still draft him.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

The way our team is set up, it actually makes me want to draft a first round receiver more this year than last year.

- Terry's contract is big now, which makes rookie deal receivers who are actually good more valuable to us.  Especially if we get that extra first round contract year.

- Jahan and Terry are legit deep threats if we can get the safeties moving off of them.

- Our RBs are good enough that they will be difficult to upgrade in the draft, but not so dominant that they can carry our offense against a loaded box.  A dynamic passing attack is a force multiplier for the power running game we want to establish

- We're having trouble getting good pass pro and it would really help Howell to have a receiver who is an expert at winning fast at the first two levels of the field like Addison/JSN/Mayer

It seems like we're miles away because of how poorly our offense performed last year, but we are like three players and a good OC away from having a dynamic offense.  Get a dominant third weapon, a reliable center, and a good starter for the right side of the line, and they'll be able to move the ball and score with Howell.

Rd 1: Mayer/JSN/Addison

Rd 2: corner?

Rd 3: Olawatimi

Mayer and Addison we probably have to pick at 16 if they are still there, but the mocks have JSN going late and we could probably move down and get another third and still draft him.

Meyer is my number one target at 16.  If he’s gone, I figure we take CB at 16 considering the value at the board.  I don’t think Johnson/Skronk are going to be there.  I like the second tier o line better than forcing it at 16.  I’d love to trade down.  Ideally to a team wanting Bijon

Matt Miller with his first round players.  He has 20:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35180722/2023-nfl-draft-every-prospect-first-round-grade-plus-comps-including-top-quarterbacks-edge-rushers-wide-receivers-round-1

He has JSN as 13 overall.  Also has Meyer as a first rounder.  He ranks the WRs as JSN, Addison, and Johnson.  Also calls Bijon as a special RB.  Maybe Bijon goes top 15?

25 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Interesting that he doesn't have Bresee as a first rounder.  I've seen multiple places that are pretty low on him now.

I need to watch Lukas Van Ness next.  I haven't watched him at all yet and have no take on him.

He’s good but I’m not all that high on him either. Haven’t watched enough guys to say conclusively but I think he’s a second rounder. But we’ll see where I ultimately shake out on that.

For those trade-down fans, here are some previous trade downs at the range of our 1st rounder:

2021 draft:  NYJ trade #23+#66+#86 to Minnesota for #14+#143

2018 draft:  Saints trade #27+#147+future 1st for #14

2018 draft:  Bills trade #22+#65 for #16+#154

2018 draft:   Seattle trade #18+#248 for #27+#76+#186

Edited by mhd24
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

For those trade-down fans, here are some previous trade downs at the range of our 1st rounder:

2021 draft:  NYJ trade #23+#66+#86 to Minnesota for #14+#143

2018 draft:  Saints trade #27+#147 for #14+future 1st

2018 draft:  Bills trade #22+#65 for #16+#154

2018 draft:   Seattle trade #18+#248 for #27+#76+#186

That Saints trade doesn't look right.  They moved up 13 spots PLUS got a future 1st rounder for pick #147?  If so, that's about the best trade I've ever seen for the Saints and about the worst I've ever seen for whoever the other team was.  Seems like it would make more sense for the Saints to be the team giving up the future first.

Speaking of the Saints, our trade with them last year (#11 for #16, #98, and #120) is somewhat comparable.to a potential trade-down deal for us this year.

2 hours ago, Number 44 said:

That Saints trade doesn't look right.  They moved up 13 spots PLUS got a future 1st rounder for pick #147?  If so, that's about the best trade I've ever seen for the Saints and about the worst I've ever seen for whoever the other team was.  Seems like it would make more sense for the Saints to be the team giving up the future first.

Speaking of the Saints, our trade with them last year (#11 for #16, #98, and #120) is somewhat comparable.to a potential trade-down deal for us this year.

LOL, I goofed.  They gave up a future 1st to move up for Davenport.

8 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Meyer is my number one target at 16.  If he’s gone, I figure we take CB at 16 considering the value at the board.  I don’t think Johnson/Skronk are going to be there.  I like the second tier o line better than forcing it at 16.  I’d love to trade down.  Ideally to a team wanting Bijon

I could see Bijon being drafted by the Giants would fit like a glove for the future. He would also be a big fit here too and no need to run Robinson in the ground.  We have a group of young TE's not at 16. I hope we do not take a CB, at 16. We need a LB or 2. Cannot put OL on back page this year either. 

7 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

I could see Bijon being drafted by the Giants would fit like a glove for the future. He would also be a big fit here too and no need to run Robinson in the ground.  We have a group of young TE's not at 16. I hope we do not take a CB, at 16. We need a LB or 2. Cannot put OL on back page this year either. 

CB is a major need.  Fuller had a good year, but he's in the last year of his deal and is aging.  We have nothing outside of BSJ.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KDawg said:

JL Skinner. I lied above. JL Skinner is my favorite safety type aside from Branch. Guy was productive as hell, reads and reacts, explosive athlete, will destroy people in open field, he is a walking screen killer, can cover slots and tight ends, he's huge (6-4 220), he's an intimidator who encourages more than a few alligator arm catch attempts. He's not fast, but he recognizes things well enough that it lets him react in time because of what look to be elite change of direction speed. This guy is a dude.

1. Brian Branch

2. JL Skinner

3. Rashad Torrence II

4. Ji'ayir Brown

5. Antonio Johnson (moved him from CB. I don't think he's a CB)

6. Jordan Battle

7. Brandon Joseph

8. Chris Smith II

9. Ronnie Hickman

I have a crush on Skinner and Antonio Johnson isn't far behind. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KDawg said:

Ji'ayir Brown. He is aggressive when the ball is in the air but gives a lot of cushion when it's not.  He is a good safety and understands game flow at the college level and his athleticism certainly helps. He is incredibly athletic. Can cover in man and zones. He's strong. Apparently he benches 370. He's also productive and consistent. In 2021 he had 73 tackles. In 2022 he had 74 tackles. He had 6 picks in 21. 4 in 22. He added 4.5 sacks this year and he can force fumbles. He's a very good player who is a bit underrated from what I've seen out there in the draftnik community. 

Agree completely. He is underrated and a good candidate to rise in the coming weeks.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

CB is a major need.  Fuller had a good year, but he's in the last year of his deal and is aging.  We have nothing outside of BSJ.  

CB not at the top for me at 16, Fuller will be fine for another year. OL needs to be addressed first we blame the QB for everything so we are going to go CB. LB's are next and up on the list for me as more of a need. look at the teams with very good LB play and how it helps there D, SF, Dallas, Baltimore,.......The DL is in place now, you need the LB's behind them. They are bigger stronger, faster, then ever before and cause QB's and OL's big problems.  QB, TE, All-purpose RB. Then CB depth. 

TE is similar to RB in position value and draft availability.  A lot of times you're only seeing ~ten to fifteen players at these spots get drafted per year, and very few make it into the first round.  Maybe one or two per draft, but often none.  And a lot of the best players in the league at the position don't come out of the first round given how few of them get drafted that early, and how difficult to project growth for the positions are.  For starters, a TE or RB pretty much has to be the obvious best player on his college team to be worth picking in the first round.  But sometimes even when that is the case, like with Derek Henry or Travis Kelce or Jonathan Taylor or Rob Gronkowski, they still fall through the cracks because growth and translation is so hard to project at the positions.

Mayer fits the criteria for a first round TE.  He was a transcendent player pretty much from year one at ND, and it was clear as day in the 2020 season that he and Hamilton were the best players on Notre Dame, even when they had Tommy Tremble and Owusu-Koromoah.  He was the head and shoulders best player on Notre Dame's team this year, and the reason he is so easy to project into the first round is because he's already a dominant receiver.  He has a passing game skill set that mimics Gronkowski's, so that we're probably safe in assuming it translates to the NFL.  We don't really have to project much growth from him, he just has to stay healthy and end up on the right depth chart to be good.

Speaking of the Gronk comparison, I feel like draftniks are timid to make it even though ND people have been making it since he was a freshman.  I see a TJ Hockenson comparison more frequently, and I think that sells Mayer short.  He is a far better receiver and prospect than Hockenson was coming out.  He's also a much thicker and more powerful athlete than Hockenson is even today.  Mayer is built like Gronk.  He's a dude who can carry 265-270 pounds naturally and play at full speed and jump over defenders.  Hockenson is more of a lanky, even kind of thin limbed TE like Kiittle, and Mayer is a fully grown beast.

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Mayer is a bad player or anything like that. Historically the track record for 1st round TEs is just really bad and I feel like people are gonna expect him to be Kelce or Gronk year 1 and be really disappointed, and this fan base tends to turn quick on hyped up young stars(look at Chase Young, and he actually lived up to the hype his rookie year and many fans STILL turned on him because he got hurt)which in turn either hinders their development or causes them to just leave and become great elsewhere.

If he's the best player on the board and there is no good potential trade down value to be had, then I'm fine taking him. But in a draft supposedly loaded with CBs and OTs, there might be better positional value to be had. 

• Like 1