Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Baltimore Orioles: New Owner, New Hope

DCSaints_fan

Yes, based on the interviews I've seen with John Angelos (which are few, because apparently he doesn't like to give them) he seems like a douche.  And he doesn't even live in Maryland, so holding onto this team would be strictly an investment for him with little to no consideration for community pride.

And I'm very disappointed in their offseason.  I was not expecting a big fish free agent, as I don't think this team is at that point yet (despite the great run last year) but considering how low their payroll is and how much they need an established starter or two, bringing in nothing more than Kyle Gibson and Cole Irvin reeks of a cheap, dollar store approach that will never cut it in today's MLB.

I don't want to start a thread on it, but I would bet the the DC/Baltimore area has the worst collection of owners. I would rate the Ravens owner as a good owner and the Nats ownership as decent, but cheap. The combination of Angelos, Leonsis and Snyder is awful. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, Hersh said:

I don't want to start a thread on it, but I would bet the the DC/Baltimore area has the worst collection of owners. I would rate the Ravens owner as a good owner and the Nats ownership as decent, but cheap. The combination of Angelos, Leonsis and Snyder is awful. 

Well hopefully it will get better soon on one front.

12 hours ago, Hersh said:

Just curious what your issue with Leonsis is. You couldn't pay me to watch the NBA, so I can't comment on his stewardship of the Wizards. But as a lifelong Caps fan who had to endure a previous cheapskate owner who treated the team as nothing more than a tenant for his building, and a distant second to his beloved basketball club, Ted has done one hell of a job.  He's taken a franchise that couldn't sell out a prep school rink, and turned them into the hottest ticket in town.  He's put his money where his mouth is by paying stars like Ovi, Backstrom, and Jagr (yes Jagr was a steaming pile of elephant turd when he was here, but I give Ted credit for making the move). He's run a class organization; I continually feel valued as a season ticket holder.  I don't particularly care for his GMs, and I think he holds onto them for too long before making a change. I'm also frustrated with the "no rebuild while Ovechkin is a Capital" approach, which has gotten us the crappy team we have today. But I wouldn't say he's "awful" by any stretch. 

EDIT: I was getting carried away in my response and forgot this was an Orioles thread. Apologies.

Edited by capcrunch98

The off-season has been underwhelming, but I’m definitely looking forward to the new everyday additions and year 2 for Adley, year 1* for Gunnar and year 1 for GrayRod. Plus hoping guys like Kremer keep it going, Means make it back later in the summer and hopefully on Oct 1 we truly see that the window opens for 2024. 

13 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Just curious what your issue with Leonsis is. You couldn't pay me to watch the NBA, so I can't comment on his stewardship of the Wizards. But as a lifelong Caps fan who had to endure a previous cheapskate owner who treated the team as nothing more than a tenant for his building, and a distant second to his beloved basketball club, Ted has done one hell of a job.  He's taken a franchise that couldn't sell out a prep school rink, and turned them into the hottest ticket in town.  He's put his money where his mouth is by paying stars like Ovi, Backstrom, and Jagr (yes Jagr was a steaming pile of elephant turd when he was here, but I give Ted credit for making the move). He's run a class organization; I continually feel valued as a season ticket holder.  I don't particularly care for his GMs, and I think he holds onto them for too long before making a change. I'm also frustrated with the "no rebuild while Ovechkin is a Capital" approach, which has gotten us the crappy team we have today. But I wouldn't say he's "awful" by any stretch. 

EDIT: I was getting carried away in my response and forgot this was an Orioles thread. Apologies.

I don't have much of an issue with Leonsis as I don't care about the Caps and my interest in the NBA has been incrementally decreasing over the past 20 years.  I find the NBA to be fascinating when it comes to storylines and player movement but I've resigned to the notion that unless the Wizards hit on a draft pick to get a generational talent, they'll most likely be average at best and usually terrible.  I mean, look at the Caps with Ovechkin, they were lucky to get him.  And good for Leonsis to keep him a Captial for life.  

However, if I had to guess, more people in DC would like to see the Wizards win instead of the Caps if given the choice.  I know that's true for me.  The NHL still trails behind the NFL, NBA and MLB in popularity and the DC area has a pretty good basketball history at the high school and college levels.  The thing that's perpetually been missing has been the Wizards always being terrible and Leonsis takes the blame for that...although I believe a lot of it is that the DC area isn't an attractive place for a league where free agents dictate the course of power.

To your point about not caring for his GMs and holding onto them for too long before making a change, I think you'd find that to be a prime complaint about him when it comes to his ownership of the Wizards.  Ernie Grunfeld was the GM for entirely too ****ing long (SIXTEEN YEARS) and from what I can tell it seems like some want Sheppard gone, too.  

A lot of this comes down to luck, unfortunately.  I would say that Leonsis has been lucky with the Caps, not so much the Wiz.  But then again, you do get to make a bit of your own luck, too.

In regards to Peter Angelos, **** him and obviously **** Dan Snyder.  My two favorite teams have been owned by inept ****heads for most of my life.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

OK, so i am not one to get ahead of myself, but 162-0 is definitely on the table.

In all seriousness,, if Boston is this bad or our lineup is this good doesn't matter. When you see a bad team you're supposed to thrash them.

Now don't blow it and make me eat any of this.

~Bang 

• Haha 1

• DCSaints_fan changed the title to 2023 Baltimore Orioles: On pace for 162-0, Adley MVP

This team is going to be such a menace on the basepaths. Boston’s catcher just gave up. 

Mountcastle walking in a run is such a nice sign for a guy who doesn’t walk much. 

Mateo’s error was about as bad a throw as you could possibly have. Let’s just chalk that up to adjusting to the cold after being in Sarasota for 6 weeks. 

Adley is the truth. 

Gibson looked good enough to win. Akin didn’t help his stat line for sure. 

Rutschman 5/5. Apparently that’s never happened for a catcher on opening day. Ever. 

• Like 2