Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Excessive napping could be a sign of dementia, study finds

China

Excessive napping could be a sign of dementia, study finds

Frequent napping or regularly napping for extended periods during the day may be a sign of early dementia in older adults, a new study revealed.

Elderly adults who napped at least once a day or more than an hour a day were 40% more likely to develop Alzheimer's than those who did not nap daily or napped less than an hour a day, according to the study published Thursday in Alzheimer's and Dementia: The Journal of the Alzheimer's Association.

"We found the association between excessive daytime napping and dementia remained after adjusting for nighttime quantity and quality of sleep," said co-senior author Dr. Yue Leng, an assistant professor of psychiatry at the University of California, San Francisco, in a statement.

The results echo the findings of a previous study by Leng that found napping two hours a day raised the risk of cognitive impairment compared with napping less than 30 minutes a day.

The new study used data gathered over 14 years by the Rush Memory and Aging Project, which followed over 1,400 people between the ages of 74 and 88 (with an average age of 81).

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, China said:

Excessive napping could be a sign of dementia, study finds

Frequent napping or regularly napping for extended periods during the day may be a sign of early dementia in older adults, a new study revealed.

Elderly adults who napped at least once a day or more than an hour a day were 40% more likely to develop Alzheimer's than those who did not nap daily or napped less than an hour a day, according to the study published Thursday in Alzheimer's and Dementia: The Journal of the Alzheimer's Association.

"We found the association between excessive daytime napping and dementia remained after adjusting for nighttime quantity and quality of sleep," said co-senior author Dr. Yue Leng, an assistant professor of psychiatry at the University of California, San Francisco, in a statement.

The results echo the findings of a previous study by Leng that found napping two hours a day raised the risk of cognitive impairment compared with napping less than 30 minutes a day.

The new study used data gathered over 14 years by the Rush Memory and Aging Project, which followed over 1,400 people between the ages of 74 and 88 (with an average age of 81).

There goes my retirement plan 😢

• 4 months later...

More good news about napping:

Napping regularly linked to high blood pressure and stroke, study finds

People who often nap have a greater chance of developing high blood pressure and having a stroke, a large new study has found.

"This may be because, although taking a nap itself is not harmful, many people who take naps may do so because of poor sleep at night. Poor sleep at night is associated with poorer health, and naps are not enough to make up for that," clinical psychologist Michael Grandner said, in a statement.

Grandner directs the Behavioural Sleep Medicine Clinic at the Banner-University Medical Center in Tucson, Arizona, and was not involved in the study.

I experience intermittent insomnia, meaning some nights I sleep well and sometimes I wake up between 2:30-3:30 and don't go back to sleep until 5-6. I almost never take naps because I want to sleep at night. I've had insomnia for decades and it got worse during menopause. It's better now but I still experience it. 

I hope this means that me not napping means that I'll retain mental acquity.

51 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I experience intermittent insomnia, meaning some nights I sleep well and sometimes I wake up between 2:30-3:30 and don't go back to sleep until 5-6. I almost never take naps because I want to sleep at night. I've had insomnia for decades and it got worse during menopause. It's better now but I still experience it. 

I hope this means that me not napping means that I'll retain mental acquity.

I think it means you're becoming a Nightwalker

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Sounds like I’ll be dead soon if this is true. Mid 40’s and I nap everyday. Not that I want to. I’m going to see a sleep doctor soon. 

Maybe you have sleep apnea? I have that and use my Cpap machine.

I love my naps. Sometimes it’s a short nap , sometimes it’s longer.  Also, after dialysis; usually take a nap since that wipes you out and I really can’t fall asleep while in dialysis.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Maybe you have sleep apnea? I have that and use my Cpap machine.

I love my naps. Sometimes it’s a short nap , sometimes it’s longer.  Also, after dialysis; usually take a nap since that wipes you out and I really can’t fall asleep while in dialysis.

yeah, I’m doing my sleep study tonight. I really hope they find something. I’ve always said no to a CPAP because I haven’t been overweight In about 4 years and I just can’t imagine wearing something all night. 

but if that’s what they recommend then that’s what I’ll do

• 11 months later...

So here's some reporting that contradicts the original report for this thread:

If you want a big brain, make a habit out of daytime naps

If you're working from home and there's been a lull in things to do, why not take a nap? Heck, even if you're in the office, find a nice quiet corner and close your eyes for 20 minutes because we have good news.

Scientists from UCL and the University of the Republic in Uruguay have found that daytime napping may actually help to reduce the rate at which our brains shrink with age.

This should be of particular interest to the more senior among us as it has been established that ageing causes changes to brain size, vasculature, and cognition, increasing the risk of stroke, white matter lesions, and dementia.

If this is making your eyelids feel heavy, go have a kip – you have our blessing.

The study [PDF] published in the journal Sleep Health crunched data on people aged 40 to 69 and claims to have found "a causal link" between habitual napping and larger total brain volume – a sign of a healthy brain and reduced risk of developing cognition-impairing diseases.

This wasn't a small sample either. The research drew on 378,932 people who had contributed to the UK Biobank database.

Senior author Dr Victoria Garfield, of the MRC Unit for Lifelong Health & Ageing at UCL, said: "Our findings suggest that, for some people, short daytime naps may be a part of the puzzle that could help preserve the health of the brain as we get older."

36 minutes ago, Destino said:

Are we talking about retirees here, because who has time to nap everyday? Certainly can’t during work hours and dinner isn’t going to cook itself. By then it’s too late to nap.

Sorry, I just woke up.  What are you all talking about?

• Haha 4