Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wentz Traded to Washington for 2 3rd Rounders per Bleacher Report

Reaper Skins

6 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I'm starting to warm up to it a little bit.  This QB draft class isn't that exciting, no Trevor Lawrence...I'm not sure there's a Tua or an Herbert either.  Guess we'll see.

Trevor Lawrence had a very rough rookie season and Tua didn't look great either. Herbert was great but coming out people weren't very high on him either. 

10 hours ago, UK Skins said:

Ketel One???? Now that's a weird choice of vodka?! I might be back off the Wentz band-wagon after that 🤨 {And I am a serious vodka drinker BTW)

Carson basically grew up on the stuff. His father worked at the Kettle One distillery and they had cases of it stacked up in the cellar.

His mom used to spice up his baby formula with a splash of Kettle One.

In elementary school he found that a half pint of Kettle One helped him to sleep soundly at night.

In high school he turned to Kettle one to give him the courage to get out of bed, face the day and conquer has natural shyness in public.

In college he realized that copious quantities of Kettle One was a great way to cure the shakes and minimize his visual hallucinations.

And of course, nowadays, as a professional football player, he wouldn't dare consider taking the field before downing a 5th of Kettle One as part of his pre-game ritual.

EDIT: Found this 2011 advertisement for Kettle One, the people’s vodka…

image.jpeg.014276f8efa135f40bf2c0401e45b2f0.jpeg

“Kettle One, the people’s vodka, preferred by 9 out of 10 functional alcoholics, distilled in small batches specifically for the less discriminating buyer who puts cost above refinement and good taste when simply looking to get wasted.”

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, VirginiaVibes said:

Trevor Lawrence had a very rough rookie season and Tua didn't look great either. Herbert was great but coming out people weren't very high on him either. 

That may be but Lawrence was still considered probably the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck, he just has a crappy supporting cast.  I'm pretty sure if you combined the them with this class, all of them would be ranked higher than whoever is #1 right now.  Of course things may change in five years with hindsight but right now, this is not the draft year to be desperate for a QB.

On 3/10/2022 at 9:11 AM, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

Injured prone Wentz is not really an upgrade

Not really sure where this narrative started about Wentz being injury prone. He's been in the league 6 years. He started and played every game in three of them (2016, 2019, and 2021). The only games he missed in 2020 were when he was benched (non-injury related). Yes, he tore his ACL in 2017 and missed 3 games. He also missed the first two games in 2018 rehabbing from the same ACL injury. He also sat out the last 3 games of 2018 with a vertebrae fracture that year. So it's basically two injuries that cost him 7 games in 6 years. Tom Brady tore an ACL. DeShaun Watson tore an ACL. Jimmy G has torn everything. Stafford has a huge laundry list of injuries. Mariota is literally made of glass. I'll grant you Wentz isn't the most reliable QB injury wise, but he's not bad. He's a lot better than most other options that were allegedly available. He's a summary of all his injuries:

https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/injury-history/carson-wentz/7450

He actually gets a 4/5 for durability. 

• Like 2

LaGarrett Blount was on BMitch and Finlay this afternoon.  He was teammates with Wentz in 2017.  They asked him about Wentz as a teammate.  His first response was that he (Wentz) kept him (Blount) at a distance.  “He wasn’t going to let me in his circle” - something to that effect.  Then he warmed up, said he was a good dude hard worker.  Then at the end of the interview, he finds out that Mitchell is not a fan of the trade, and he was all yeah, not many people liked him.  Said that Sproles stepped to him.  Evidently guys on the team thought Foles would have carried them to the playoffs if he was the starter the entire season. Wentz was very insecure about that and wasn’t all that happy they won the SB.  

For those wanting to extend Wentz if he takes us to the playoffs; hold your horses.  We need to see this for 2 years before we do anything.

How many players get that big extension and then do nothing? Also, didn’t it all start to go downhill In Philly ; when he got that big contract extension?

Let it play out for 2 years and he does well; he will get his 40 million +/ year.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

4 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

For those wanting to extend Wentz if he takes us to the playoffs; hold your horse. We need to see this for 2 years before we do anything.

How many players get that big extension and then do nothing? Also, didn’t it all start to go downhill In Philly ; when got that big contract extension?

Let it play out for 2 years and he does well; he will get his 40 million +/ year.

you are officially the first person to bring up an extension

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

For those wanting to extend Wentz if he takes us to the playoffs; hold your horses.  We need to see this for 2 years before we do anything.

How many players get that big extension and then do nothing? Also, didn’t it all start to go downhill In Philly ; when he got that big contract extension?

Why do the extension when you have him until 2024?

13 hours ago, Alexa said:

BatteredFan-  you and others are just trying to make a bunch of excuses for him. The red flags are there and they aren't going anywhere. 

there are red flags for tons of players...all the time, Bucs took a chance on Antonio Brown.........oh and won a super bowl....you have to take a CHANCE to WIN. 

Watching Heinicke struggle with a weak arm, limiting the offense was debilitating. It limits what you can call offensively. Something had to be done.

Wentz can be a bargain more than a bust, considering how the cap works and the contract, along with NFL QB salaries for a guy that just put up 27 TD/7 INTs. Wentz has a strong arm to take deep shots that make opposing defenses stay honest or pay.

RR will easily sniff out any Wentz negatives and have 11 games to see if he'll straighten things out. Definitely more upside then down.

There's a strong chance that Wentz won't have the feeling of being pressured like he was in PHI & IND. Being coached to play within the game plan and take your shots is very different than his prior situations over the last 3 years. 

I'd tend to believe that in this current situation that he'll be made to feel supported: Not be made to feel like he's looking over his shoulder: Not have any need to look at the past and concentrate on a new beginning with a newly branded franchise. There's enough pieces in place with a #1 WR, 1,000 yrd RB, speedy deep threats, and a good defense for RR to make it easy for Wentz to be successful.

There's far more upside for the cost of the trade. Third times a Charm for the Irish!

thirdtime.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Watched that 2021 highlight clip. Wow, he really is comfortable making some TIGHT window throws. And he didn't have many interceptions either, so he certainly does have an NFL arm that he trusts for good reasons. I'm not hating this move,

Hes wild and plays like Heinicke did in the playoffs last year before he secured the starting job and became a ****. Wentz is gonna make people nuts. Hell do dumb ****, but hell also hit a WR in stride 60 yards down field on a broken play. If everything goes wrong, wentz is a glorious disaster. If everything goes right, hes a top 5 QB.

• Like 4

I dont get what @Spaceman Spiffand @MartinC are talking about. He has a 3 year contract. We can change it to different terms and if course it's a prove it year, but that has nothing to do with his contract. Wentz is a commie for 3 years if we want.

Hes going to exceed expectations this year and bond with his teammates. He always does. He'll be here next year too as our starter. Maybe the year after and then we talk contract. Not this year. His contract is perfect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I dont get what @Spaceman Spiffand @MartinC are talking about. He has a 3 year contract. We can change it to different terms and if course it's a prove it year, but that has nothing to do with his contract. Wentz is a commie for 3 years if we want.

Hes going to exceed expectations this year and bond with his teammates. He always does. He'll be here next year too as our starter. Maybe the year after and then we talk contract. Not this year. His contract is perfect. 

What don’t you get? This is a “prove it” year for him. 

Maybe he will, maybe he won’t. I’m not betting on him. 

Any extension would only be to save Cap, so a restructure, not be a reward extension. You add just one yr of gauranteed money and make it 5 yrs total but the last 3 are not gauranteed. If he plays well you have him on a very team friendly contract if not, you let him go with little cost. If you wait 2 yrs then he costs way more, to the point where you lose players to CAP hell. 

So yes, I do expect them to restructure to spread that $28M over some years. Lower his cap hit to $8M by converting $25M of his salary to signing bonus over 5 yrs so he has a $3M salary with a $5M cap hit for the signing bonus. Next year becomes fully gauranteed but nothing after that, all kept around $30M/yr. So yea technically it's an extension. But it's team friendly and allows the team to continue to build but still giving the team full control over Wentz. He plays well, you have him locked up fro 5 yrs. He plays like **** you pay 2 yrs and move on. 

I see some thinking they draft a QB high this year. I don't see it unless someone just falls dramatically. And we know how QBs go in the draft, much earlier than they should. But, I do not see QB at #11 no matter what. What I really expect is a developmental guy in the4th or 5th rd. They are game day ineligible. Taylor is a fine backup, no need to throw a rookie into the fire unless there is an injury. Then you reset next offseason based on results. 

I think many are being way overly dramatic about - the team being desperate, Carson is horrible, they will draft a back-up to replace Taylor. All hot takes that make little sense. 

It was a decent deal for both teams. 3rd rd picks are not exactly gauranteed starters much less pro-bowlers. But there is zero reason to draft a QB high just to replace Taylor. He struggled at the end but he is good for a few games coming in fresh if someone gets injured. It's when you rely on him to be QB1 he will not make it. . 

As for the team being desperate, that is talking head bull****. They were decisive. They knew who they wanted and in what order. After Wentz who is really a better option? Watson? I don't care that he was so called cleared, he is way too toxic for this team. This will follow him and not be a done deal. Carr? Would love to have Carr over most but it's unlikely he is being traded. My guess - and yes it's just a guess - is that Ron and company asked LV and they said he is not going anywhere. 

After that it gets really ****ed up - Trubisky is a waste a space and will command more than $10M/yr. Mariota? I like him but he does not have the talent Wentz does - better guy and maybe smarter but there is a reason he can't get a starting role. And I am so happy we are out of th Jimmy G sweepstakes. That guy is an injury waiting to happen and is a really bad QB. He is a more reckless Alex Smith. I watched a few of his games not just the POs and anything more than 25 yds wobbles. And he puts the ball in harms way too much. So does Wentz but he has a rocket and makes something happen when he goes long. He jsut needs to stop the bonehead plays. The ones that make coaches pull thier hair out and claim the player is a bad locker room influence. If SF trades Jimmy G, it will be for at least the 2 3rds for Wentz if there are more than one team bidding becasue unlike us those teams will be starting to get desperate. There are more QB needy teams than there are quality QBs. 

I actually do not like Wentz much, never have, and expect him to start well but crumble when the pressure gets high. But if anyone can straighten him out it's Ron. The upside to him getting his head straight is 100% worth what they paid. If he fails, you have a quick out even if you restructure as I suggested above and you get to next years much better QB draft. 

So for me this was anything BUT a move of desperation. It was a calculated football move with a lot of upside and a much lesser downside. 

BTW: They released Collins. Do this restructure and without another move you have $26M in CAP. 

• Like 2

The JP Finlay article was spot on IMO.  Help Carson to succeed by giving him the weapons that he needs to run a competent offense.:  1) going big on TE, i.e., sign Zach Ertz, 2) draft a WR in first or second round, and 3) re-sign McKissic. I would add that the team needs to invest in the OL (either free agent mid level starter Guard or draft a G/T that can develop into a starter).  There's never enough cap space or number of draft picks.    

• Like 2

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

So yes, I do expect them to restructure to spread that $28M over some years. Lower his cap hit to $8M by converting $25M of his salary to signing bonus over 5 yrs so he has a $3M salary with a $5M cap hit for the signing bonus. Next year becomes fully gauranteed but nothing after that, all kept around $30M/yr. So yea technically it's an extension. But it's team friendly and allows the team to continue to build but still giving the team full control over Wentz. He plays well, you have him locked up fro 5 yrs. He plays like **** you pay 2 yrs and move on. 

Totally agree. Seems like a situation that fits all parties. I also think Rivera has it in him to straighten any issues out. Time shall tell, but there were far worse outcomes that this.

I really hope we pull off a couple of great FA deals to open up the draft. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, German_skin said:

So we know Michael Silver is like Ron's best buddy and super plugged in. And let me start by saying this is not him sayig they are trying etc... but for him to bring it up seems at least interesting 

That’s would have to be after Wednesday when Wentz is actually our player.