Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wentz Traded to Washington for 2 3rd Rounders per Bleacher Report

Reaper Skins

4 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Wilson did thank Seattle. 

I’d say that is different circumstances.

Trades in principle tend to be all media information until official. That’s been my take anyway.

Edited by Est.1974

Because of work and time zones, I've only just found out the news. My first reaction was to say "no" out loud, which kind of says it all. After a few minutes reflection I've realised that whichever QB they signed/traded for my reaction would probably have been the same, just for different reasons

Some of the potential QBs didn't want to come here, some would have been too costly, some were just not that good, and one is possibly a sexual predator.

The Wentz deal falls somewhere in the middle. The cost (in terms of draft picks) is not too bad, he's not too bad of a QB. He's apparently got some personality issues, but hopefully they're not too bad. There is something about Wentz that I don't like and It's going to take a while for me to adjust to the fact that he's now "one of us". If he can be relatively successful here then that will definitely help.

I don't think that we draft a QB in the 1st round now, (maybe we take a shot at one in the later rounds?) and will probably wait until next year to re-assess our options.

Edited by London Kev
  • Like 1

Look, it's Wentz.  I just want the team to move then draft two deep-threats to pair with McLaurin (and Gibson at receiver).  Then start every possession with the bomb four straight times and see what happens.

After awhile, we can add some John Bates safety valve or the RB if we're only going 3-wide, even a delayed handoff if we want to get really aggressive.  

In football, when your team can throw the bomb, it's a thing of beauty.

• Like 2

If you take away the fact that he was a Eagles QB (McNabb memories), that there is talk about him having some mentality issues/bad leader and that Colts dropped him one year after trading for him when their HC knew who he was trading for...

The picks vs starting QB is not bad. And his cap number for next year is interesting that you can just drop him for free if you want to. It's not like we have a heavy contract for the next year's. If he doesn't work out, you can get out of it easy. 

Edited by wilco_holland
  • Like 3

You people are nuts with all this negativity. Wentz is a legitimate starting QB and we almost made the playoffs with Taylor ****ing Heinicke.

We are going to win at least 10 games this season and make the playoffs. Terry will have the best QB of his career. Young is returning to a defense that started gelling last year. Collins will re-work his contract and free up cap space. We can use pick #11 on BPA. Maybe we can fit Bobby Wagner.

We were in QB Hell and had to escape. We did that without giving up any 1st rounders, or settling for a fringe starter like Trubisky.

This is a good move.

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Agreed, this is a good move. Not a massive fan of the draft picks as he really was on the way out there. Got to think maybe the Steelers or another team were sniffing around. 

Either way, I like Wentz as a QB, massive upgrade. Contract can be played around with to create space. It’s a win for me.

13 hours ago, Peregrine said:

The biggest issue is the team just gave up a 3rd and 2nd next year, for a guy they could have signed for free when they cut him.  And paid him 28 million instead of 10 million, and left the team with no cap space to improve other areas. Basically the usual from this FO, throw extra money and picks around and end up with your high earners being players like Collins and Samuel.

I mean you kinda gotta trade for a guy if said guy would have no interest in signing with you lol

3 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

You people are nuts with all this negativity. Wentz is a legitimate starting QB and we almost made the playoffs with Taylor ****ing Heinicke.

We are going to win at least 10 games this season and make the playoffs. Terry will have the best QB of his career. Young is returning to a defense that started gelling last year. Collins will re-work his contract and free up cap space. We can use pick #11 on BPA. Maybe we can fit Bobby Wagner.

We were in QB Hell and had to escape. We did that without giving up any 1st rounders, or settling for a fringe starter like Trubisky.

This is a good move.

Great point and post.

Your avatar made me spit out my coffee, lol.  that is great, I am still laughing.

Edited by sebestian
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Llevron said:

He (helped) take the eagles to a Superbowl. His career has changed significantly since then and he does not have the pull here he had there. For this price we really dont care if he fails or decides he doesnt want to play. We took a shot, and it really didnt hurt the team to do it. Thats the best kind of low risk high reward play we could make at the moment. 

This is not us trading 3 firsts and our soul for Griffin. We can recover if this ends up being a failure and thats the point of the move. 

I don't hate what Washington did at all in trading for Wentz for what amounts to two third-round draft picks.  

Now, the only way they draft a QB this year is if the one they truly believe in falls in their lap at #11.  Frankly, I'm not convinced that Washington sees a QB who is worthy of being picked in the first half of the first round or even in the first round at all.

They can now get a stud WR or CB or whoever with pick #11 who can actually upgrade the team this year.  And if Wentz turns out to be a complete disaster, better QBs will be available in next year's draft.

• Like 2

Wentz is an upgrade. Clear upgrade. He’s cost picks, and his salary is probably heading toward top 10 QB size contract. Don’t know haven’t looked into it. 

But we shouldn’t underestimate the upgrade, the league is fairly evenly balances with a few outliers at the top and bottom of the pile. A swing of 3 to 4 wins is pretty significant in this league. Flip 7-10 to 10-7 or 11-6 and you’re in business a lot more. 

He’s the best outcome for me once the elite options started to fall. Get a couple more pieces around him. Add LB and FS and see how we roll.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Wentz is an upgrade. Clear upgrade. He’s cost picks, and his salary is probably heading toward top 10 QB size contract. Don’t know haven’t looked into it. 

But we shouldn’t underestimate the upgrade, the league is fairly evenly balances with a few outliers at the top and bottom of the pile. A swing of 3 to 4 wins is pretty significant in this league. Flip 7-10 to 10-7 or 11-6 and you’re in business a lot more. 

He’s the best outcome for me once the elite options started to fall. Get a couple more pieces around him. Add LB and FS and see how we roll.

As far as cost, Cousins is 45 mil against the cap. Rodgers at 50 just reset it. Russ and Carr will be around 50 as well. If Wentz is around 12-14th ranked QB, he's about half what the top guys make. That's a win. 

If he excels and gels as our starting QB, he's dirt cheap for a top half starter. If he fails and nobody wants him here, we can trade or cut him with zero cap loss.

I also believe that taking his contract off the Colts books is probably what Pitt and Carolina couldn't do for Indy.

Contract is a win.

• Like 4

In the best case scenario, around game eight, Marty approaches his agent and they begin talking about a new contract. I really hope we don't offer a new contract immediately even though that seems often to be the case... unless we get a damaged goods contract on the cheap which I doubt would be the case.

I don't know if Wentz can get it together or if his skillset is a fit for what Turner likes to do. The good news is he is still in his prime and still has his arm. The bad news is that he seems to wear out his welcome quickly and despite his talent keeps getting beat out by "lesser" QBs. 

• Like 2

I hate this trade. I don't care about the picks we gave up but taking his entire contract is ridiculous. We went from having $33 million in cap space down to $6. Also, Ron does nothing but preach about leadership being so important in a QB but he trades for Wentz. I don't get it 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

For all you negative fans let me remind you that we did not pass up on a half dozen hof QBs that were falling over each other to come here to take Wentz. You had no shot at Rodgers or Wilson and who else was left? Do you want Jimmy G at more money and picks? No one is thrilled with the QBs in the draft and now we can use the pick to get another top tier receiver.  Wentz has had some real good years without good receivers. I think this is a good move all around as it is a upgrade over TH as all I heard from you guys is that TH does not have a NFL arm.

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1

Heinicke's range of accuracy is the top, Wentz the bottom. 

Red = sweet spot.    So with Heinicke his niche is throws to the flat to the right.  For Wentz its going deep.  This offense is going to look very different.

Judging by this Wentz's sweet spot ais intermediate throws up the middle -- digs-crossers, etc.  It's a nice set up for a TE and receivers who can take the top off.  I recall the Eagles TEs used to have monster numbers. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 7.28.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 7.29.43 AM.png

24 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

For all you negative fans let me remind you that we did not pass up on a half dozen hof QBs that were falling over each other to come here to take Wentz. You had no shot at Rodgers or Wilson and who else was left? Do you want Jimmy G at more money and picks? No one is thrilled with the QBs in the draft and now we can use the pick to get another top tier receiver.  Wentz has had some real good years without good receivers. I think this is a good move all around as it is a upgrade over TH as all I heard from you guys is that TH does not have a NFL arm.

Agree that Wentz > Jimmy G.  And I am glad that's the route we took over Jimmy G.  But especially considering Jimmy G's injury history which is bleeding into this off season, I bet Jimmy G comes cheaper as to draft picks.  As for his salary, yeah I do think he can end up with more. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, SprintBomb said:

I hate this trade. I don't care about the picks we gave up but taking his entire contract is ridiculous. We went from having $33 million in cap space down to $6. Also, Ron does nothing but preach about leadership being so important in a QB but he trades for Wentz. I don't get it 

Leadership is important, but so is the ability to throw the ball. Ron would like both, but players with both don't want to come here. Even Wentz probably wouldn't have come here if we hadn't traded for him. Wentz has a lot of talent, on his day he's a top 10 QB, but once he gets unhappy about how he's being treated his play drops off a cliff. I don't think drafting a QB this year would be a good plan with Wentz as the presumed starter, it probably wouldn't work out well for either of them.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Logic is always a good thing.  Great post!!