Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

42 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Fact facing time.

We've got four young first round d-linemen whose rookie contracts will be expiring in the next couple of years.

Economics dictates that we can only keep two or perhaps three of them-- at the most. 

And as we all learned in school-- economics is all about pie charts or in this case the distribution of a very limited supply of two or maybe three slices of what I'll call grandma's hot juicy apple pie...

Maybe he gets a slice of pie, just without the ice cream?

• Haha 1

I think it's bull**** that we can't pay all 4 D linemen. We're definitely going to have to draft CB early next year, but both of those contracts can come off the books. If Wentz balls out, we restructure a new contract for him that creates space and if not, we sell out in the draft for a rookie QB or go with Howell. Those are the biggest contracts we have. We also need to draft a LT most likely, but we're not paying any big money to the Oline, QB or CB for a couple years and that leaves plenty of room for the line and if they really come together like they should this year, it'll be worth it.

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1

At this point in time the only one of the 4 1st round picks that deserves money other than Allen is Sweat.  That's at this time.  Let's see what the season brings in performance and endurance.  

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think it's bull**** that we can't pay all 4 D linemen. We're definitely going to have to draft CB early next year, but both of those contracts can come off the books. If Wentz balls out, we restructure a new contract for him that creates space and if not, we sell out in the draft for a rookie QB or go with Howell. Those are the biggest contracts we have. We also need to draft a LT most likely, but we're not paying any big money to the Oline, QB or CB for a couple years and that leaves plenty of room for the line and if they really come together like they should this year, it'll be worth it.

Theres no way we can and should pay 4 lineman $20+ plus per year. The salary cap is $200 mil and so we should tie up 50% in four defensive lineman?  From a team makeup, that doesn’t make sense especially since Chase will demand probably closer to $30+. And what happens if one or two of those guys get hurt? We then need to scramble like the second half of last year putting in unproven guys and giving them extensive playing time when we are fighting for a playoff berth. 

And if Wentz balls out, it doesn’t matter how we restructure his deal to create cap space. Look at the Chiefs with Mahomes, they had to trade Hill and lost most of their defensive line and Matheiu. If we had a qb on their rookie contract like Howell then we may be able to get away with it for a year or two but doing so pretty much eliminates having a solid second tier core of players. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, RWJ said:

At this point in time the only one of the 4 1st round picks that deserves money other than Allen is Sweat.  That's at this time.  Let's see what the season brings in performance and endurance.  

Sweat? I'm not with you there, I'm completely in the Daron Payne camp. Sweat has put together 1 single good season for the team in 2020. Sweat was drunk on Koolaid like Chase Young in 2021. The only other season with Sweat here was 2019, which was mediocre. Payne isn't flashy, but he's delivered every single time he's played. The finger pointing match is concerning, but going off of skill on the field, pitting the two against each other, Payne hasn't disappointed at all. Sweat has.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Theres no way we can and should pay 4 lineman $20+ plus per year. The salary cap is $200 mil and so we should tie up 50% in four defensive lineman?  From a team makeup, that doesn’t make sense especially since Chase will demand probably closer to $30+. And what happens if one or two of those guys get hurt? We then need to scramble like the second half of last year putting in unproven guys and giving them extensive playing time when we are fighting for a playoff berth. 

And if Wentz balls out, it doesn’t matter how we restructure his deal to create cap space. Look at the Chiefs with Mahomes, they had to trade Hill and lost most of their defensive line and Matheiu. If we had a qb on their rookie contract like Howell then we may be able to get away with it for a year or two but doing so pretty much eliminates having a solid second tier core of players. 

Allen is at $18 or 19 a year, not 20. Payne should be around 14/15 and Sweat 22 and by the time Chase is due, Allen comes off.

I also think there is more value with Payne, Allen and Mathis in the middle rotation, than Allen, Mathis and Sweat outside honestly.

Just now, NickyJ said:

Sweat? I'm not with you there, I'm completely in the Daron Payne camp. Sweat has put together 1 single good season for the team in 2020. Sweat was drunk on Koolaid like Chase Young in 2021. The only other season with Sweat here was 2019, which was mediocre. Payne isn't flashy, but he's delivered every single time he's played. The finger pointing match is concerning, but going off of skill on the field, pitting the two against each other, Payne hasn't disappointed at all. Sweat has.

And it really seems like when they said it was a brother fight, they meant it or he would probably already be gone. Adding Mathis, who describes Payne as his big brother also doesn't sound like they want to get rid of him.

4 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

Makes losing Settle all that worse.

No it doesn't because they didn't think he was very good.  Or else he would have played more.  He barely played.  MI wasn't playing "great" and didn't like the scheme.  And Settle STILL couldn't break the lineup, basically unless somebody was hurt.  

I really liked Settle as a person on the team, and the levity he brought to the room.  But my God, he's a 3rd string backup never played DT. 

They clearly wanted a new rotation.  They also clearly didn't care much about Settle.  

I'm not all that plussed about losing a guy who there are 20 of still sitting waiting for jobs.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Who was that and were did the dolphin come from?

Kinda notable that the moment when Wentz makes the throw he is a full helmet above all the clutter that's around him. Might not sound significant, but he can actually see what's going on around him, I think that alone will improve this offense.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

Not a fan of option C (though I realize why it happens and it happens a lot) just makes me feel that the player then comes back a little less that pleased with the team and is not fully committed. Or takes a contract with another team for about the same money because he feels that team "appreciates" him more. Either way obviously less than ideal.

Agree but you might not have a choice if the player is asking for millions more than what you think the market will actually give them.

I recall one beat guy (forgeting whom) saying pre-FA that they heard that McKissic's agent is asking for more than they think he'd get and that's why they likely let him hit the market for the market to dictate his value.  If that was the case, it seemed like it worked out in part because McKissic wanted to be here. 

As for Payne, I don't know how much he wants to stay or not.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree but you might not have a choice if the player is asking for millions more than what you think the market will actually give them.

I recall one beat guy (forgeting whom) saying pre-FA that they heard that McKissic's agent is asking for more than they think he'd get and that's why they likely let him hit the market for the market to dictate his value.  If that was the case, it seemed like it worked out in part because McKissic wanted to be here. 

As for Payne, I don't know how much he wants to stay or not.  

Good point ref McKissic

50 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Did anyone else hear what sounded like a dolphin call at the end of the video? 

WTF are they doing drills at Sea World???

EDIT: Just saw that KoolBlue13 niticed the same thing.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Did anyone else hear what sounded like a dolphin call at the end of the video? 

WTF are they doing drills at Sea World???

EDIT: Just saw that KoolBlue13 niticed the same thing.

I think JD might have missed his calling if he's the one making that sound. He could be the next Margaret Howe Lovatt.  😬

• Haha 2

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I think JD might have missed his calling if he's the one making that sound. He could be the next Margaret Howe Lovatt.  😬

Amazing!

If JD is making that sound his agent needs to sign a deal with "America's Got Talent". That sounded exactly like a real dolphin to me.

--

Learned sonething today. I had no idea who "Margaret Howe Lovatt" is so I googled the name.

Putting it on my bucket list of docs to watch...

image.png.68e527cdab133bb7da8c6eae6c73300b.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Amazing!

If JD is making that sound his agent needs to sign a deal with "America's Got Talent". That sounded exactly like a real dolphin to me.

--

Learned sonething today. I had no idea who "Margaret Howe Lovatt" is so I googled the name.

Putting it on my bucket list of docs to watch...

image.png.68e527cdab133bb7da8c6eae6c73300b.png

Strange World Stranger People In 1964, Margaret Lovatt set out on an  experiment to prove that dolphins could be taught English, living in close  quarters with the marine mammals for almost two

Sure is a lot of amazing people living down here in the virgin islands.

Took a lot of courage for a 20 yo woman to move here in the 60's, but hey, if NASA is paying your way and giving you LSD to bang dolphins, sign me up!  :ols: 

• Haha 6

@KoolBlue13, clearly the "Virgin Islands"  got it's  name as a cosmic jest. ;)

Wow!

I was searching youtube to see if the documentary was available and saw the video title below which I at first thought had to be a joke or an exaggeration then I read some of the comments and realized the cia was involved and my jaw hit the ground.

Then I came back here and saw your post. lol

Kind of puts the George C Scott film "The Day of the Dolphin in a different light."

"Ba go now."

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Strange World Stranger People In 1964, Margaret Lovatt set out on an  experiment to prove that dolphins could be taught English, living in close  quarters with the marine mammals for almost two

Sure is a lot of amazing people living down here in the virgin islands.

Took a lot of courage for a 20 yo woman to move here in the 60's, but hey, if NASA is paying your way and giving you LSD to bang dolphins, sign me up!  :ols: 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

@KoolBlue13, clearly the "Virgin Islands"  got it's  name as a cosmic jest. ;)

Wow!

I was searching youtube to see if the documentary was available and saw the video title below which I at first thought had to be a joke or an exaggeration then I read some of the comments and realized the cia was involved and my jaw hit the ground.

Then I came back here and saw your post. lol

Kind of puts the George C Scott film "The Day of the Dolphin in a different light."

"Ba go now."

Some girls just like the bad boys

https://www.deepseanews.com/2013/02/10-reasons-why-dolphins-are-aholes/

Can we get more camp news?

• Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1