Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

3 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Why? I remember how that video came out in the spring for his birthday or what ever and he was getting water poured on him by his family. Everyone one twitter and Reddit was like “wow that gait he has doesn’t look naturally in any way he needs to retire”

no one would have blinked an eye at him getting cut. The team was getting flack for letting him play after that Rams game in the worst offensive half I have ever seen 

no, actually I don't remember that.  I remember many people like "well I don't like it, but if he can pass a physical and he wants to try he deserves the shot"

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Long story - short, I am starting to believe that maybe Standig among others aren't speculating for no reason about Dan's cash flow.  And ditto the desire to do contracts after the draft, in the summer.

Lombardi says the tv money is paid out Sept thru Dec and the remaining tranche in March so if that's true Dan isn't getting anymore cash until the season starts.

Lets hope they tucked a few dollars away for Terry's deal.

• Like 1

We are going to get our LB.  RR is patiently waiting for cuts so teams can sign their top draft choices.  There are teams that are in a bind or have a plethra of LBs and need to cut one that's making top salary.  Atlanta and Deion Jones is a name to keep an eye on.  There will be others, I'm sure. :)   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

We are going to get our LB.  RR is patiently waiting for cuts so teams can sign their top draft choices.  There are teams that are in a bind or have a plethra of LBs and need to cut one that's making top salary.  Atlanta and Deion Jones is a name to keep an eye on.  There will be others, I'm sure. :)   

There are suggestions that ATL are looking to trade him. They have loaded up at LB in the offseason/draft. Cutting Jones doesn’t really save them anything, they need a trade partner to take on the 2022 guaranteed salary.

Got to think his trade value is low IF they really want to move him. 

19 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I’ll admit, really don’t have a grasp on this whole situation, but the info you’re sharing does suggest the cash flow is an issue.  Also perfectly believeable that Rivera would intimate it’s his decision to to wait on Terry’s contract when it’s really about Dan.  I’d guess they’ve communicated as much (that they’re waiting for cash reasons) to Terry and his agent, but I also don’t see it making any difference in terms of how much they’ll have to pay him. 

I don't pay uber attention to money-contracts, owner cash flow so I admit I don't have a full handle on the issue.  But Breer's comment about owners like holding on to their cash for as long as possible., coupled with hearing guaranteed money in big contracts is sort of held in escrow by the NFL, coupled with Standig continuing to harp about is there something cooking with Dan as for this team being on a budget -- all sort of paint a picture to me that Dan wanting to wait closer to the start of the season to award big contracts with big guaranteed money might be in play with contracts that to some extent he can control like bringing back their own players.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RWJ said:

Jones is interesting. Sucks they signed Kwiatkoski. I liked him for us.

Jones fell off a cliff last season, seemed to give up on the falcons. Wonder if that's a red flag for Rivera or a prime reclamation project. Dude was up there with Luke his first few years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Jones is interesting. Sucks they signed Kwiatkoski. I liked him for us.

Jones fell off a cliff last season, seemed to give up on the falcons. Wonder if that's a red flag for Rivera or a prime reclamation project. Dude was up there with Luke his first few years.

Their is only so much a person can endure, frankly.

The national narrative will never change, regarding the Commanders.  People forget that New England sucked before Brady got there and essentially they won and kept winning so guess what the get the benefit of the doubt.  We jackass owner.  Terrible stadium.  Facilities stink.  Track record is abysmal.  Glory years are the eighties.  

My comp for the Commanders are loveable Toronto Maple Laughs.  Is their another human that likes teams that suck this bad.  I apologize for the crude comments.  

By, frustrated sports fan!!! ncnvkejevnknl;knfo iodhf;oviaehroi;oah;aoh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You all Leafs, Raptors, Commanders, Hope baseball folds completely.

I hope everyone a better day then I will.  

At least we have each other, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Volunteers, not hostages!!

https://nfltraderumors.co/top-2022-nfl-free-agents-list/

The best 100 free agents still available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A rebuild almost always has to be directive from the owner.  And Dan is notorious to have no interest in that.  In his defense some, I think that ship has sailed some considering their circumstance. Now, they are in a dangerous spot to have a team that crashes or to hope it just crashes by osmosis and we go through Jim Zorn part 2 for a spell and hope those new lows brings the elusive franchise QB.   

But I think they DID enter a rebuild in 2020.  The two player they could have jettisoned for assets they didn't were Kerrigan and Scherff.  Kerrigan wasn't going to fetch a lot. Maybe a 4th? At that point?  Maybe?  He was entering the last year of his deal, he was clearly on the decline.  If they chose to move him, I would have been fine with it, but honestly, I don't think it was going to do anything for the rebuild in either direction, either providing significant cap saving or additional draft capital.  

Scherff is interesting, because he was set to be a FA.  So they couldn't trade him.  They could have re-signed him, maybe tagged and traded him. Or just let him enter FA. But there weren't a lot of other options. Maybe they let him go to FA?  Fine, then you sign another guard, or you have to draft somebody to replace him.  The only thing Bruce did which was good is he left them in a solid Cap position (because he was a cheap MFer), so the fact they tagged Scherff didn't have any bearing on them doing or not doing anything else. Should they have tagged/traded him?  I mean, I guess they could have tried.  But contrary to popular belief, that doesn't happen very often.  And I don't think Scherff would have gone for it.  He would have had to have been on board, because no team would give up a first for Scherff and not have a long term deal worked out.  Scherff knew he had top 5 tackle money coming, so why would he give that up?  (As a side note, Bruce screwed this up also because they needed to extend him before he played his 5th year option year.  He needed to be extended prior to the 2019 season.  And he wasn't.  And that was stupid.)

Who else was there?  Smith and Collins really couldn't be moved for Cap reasons. I guess they could have cut Smith and taken the full cap hit, but really, what would that have accomplished?  It was kindof the same as keeping him on the roster, and he proved to be able to play a bit.  They took a pretty small hit in 2021 to release him.  So, I think, in the end, it's a net effect of almost nothing.  Important note: NOBODY thought he was actually going to PLAY in 2020.  And certainly nobody thought he was going to actually play reasonably well.  And you would have needed a DeLorean time machine to go into the future to see that Smith would actually have been the key cog in getting the team to the playoffs.

Allen, Payne, Sweat and McLaurin were all on their rookie deals and looked like the types of players you wanted to keep and build around.  It makes no sense to trade a first round pick who's playing well for a future first round pick.  That's stupid. You trade a good, cheap player to open a hole that you have to fill, probably with the draft capital you got for trading him. And the draft is a crap shoot.  So, there's at least a 50% chance you trade Payne, get a second (probably not a first), and then pick a guy who's not as good.  For what?  To say you did?   Payne was entering his third year.  You don't trade first round picks, on a rookie contract going into their third year who are good.  You NEVER recoup the value, it's impossible, and you immediately open a hole you have to fill.  If you have cheap and good players, you keep them.  

They moved Trent.  Bruce screwed that up massively and we didn't get the value, but we got what we could.  We traded whatshisnugget (CB who wanted a new deal who's name I can't remember and don't care nearly enough to look up) because he wanted a new deal.  

What else really was there to do?  The fact is, they actually DID do the rebuild.  They signed a whole bunch of players and replaced a good bit of the roster.  

Then, depending on your point of view, they got lucky or unlucky to win the division.  That really wasn't in play until Dak got hurt.  If Dak doesn't get hurt, Dallas wins the division, even with that horrendous Mike Nolan coordinated defense.  Hell, it's possible if Dalton hadn't ALSO gotten hurt and missed a few games, Dallas STILL wins the division. (Though that defense was horrid, because if there's one NFL coach WORSE than Manusky and Barry, it's Nolan.)

Ron thought they were going to get to 6-7 wins in 2020, probably finish in 3rd or 4th place in the division, and not in the playoffs.  Dan was clearly fine with that, because they did nothing in the off-season (save for going after Cooper) to go "all-in."  There were no big-names, or even top-end players brought in. They signed Logan Thomas, McKissic, a few OL, Kendall Fuller, probably a few others that I can't remember.  It was not a "reload" or "go-for-it" off-season.  It was a "let's see what we have" off-season.  It really was supposed to be the Haskins development/evaluation season.  But that experiment ended early.  

Nobody could have predicted they would win 7 games with 3 QBs, Dak would get hurt, literally the entire Eagles team (except, ironically, for Wentz, but he would get benched) would get hurt, and the Giants would suck to the level they did.  

If ANY one of those things don't happen, Washington is picking somewhere around 10, if not higher.  But they all happened, so they picked 19. Shrug.  

So I'm not sure what more they could have done.  And NOTHING they did in 2020 precluded them doing anything else in 2021.  The big thing was, they won the division.  

Now, if you want to come at me and say, they should have actively tried to lose another couple games and give the division to the Giants at 6-10, I mean, ok.  But they literally won the division with a miserable performance by Haskins (RIP, and I always feel bad criticizing him, but he was actively bad for much of the year), Kyle Allen played a few games then got hurt, then Smith played a few games, then he got hurt, then Haskins again played badly and lost games, then a clearly even more limited Smith in the finale.  I mean, I'm not sure what more you could hope for if you really want to lose. It's not like they traded for anybody mid-season to get help.  They were just the best of the really, really bad.  

If there was anything that derailed being in position to pick a QB in 2021, it was the fact Dak got hurt, and McCarthy hired the single worst defensive coordinator he could find on the scrap heap.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1

10 hours ago, RWJ said:

If you're waiting for some massive wave of cuts, I think you'll be disappointed. The way some people post of these boards, you act like there's going to be this massive wave of players let go. Many of which are viable starter level. When, in reality its often a small trickle with few actual names. In 2021, the NFL draft was over on May 1. Between May 2 and July 25 there were 29 totals players released (this does not include younger players subject to waivers) according to Spotrac (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/2021/released/). That list includes such grand names as former Washington players like Nate Orchard, Josh Harvey-Clemons, Timon Parris, Josh Johnson, and Morgan Moses. Most of these guys were not starters, let alone someone to make a final 53, though guys like McCain and Moses were exceptions. So maybe one good LB makes it out. Or maybe not.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jericho said:

If you're waiting for some massive wave of cuts, I think you'll be disappointed. The way some people post of these boards, you act like there's going to be this massive wave of players let go. Many of which are viable starter level. When, in reality its often a small trickle with few actual names. In 2021, the NFL draft was over on May 1. Between May 2 and July 25 there were 29 totals players released (this does not include younger players subject to waivers) according to Spotrac (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/2021/released/). That list includes such grand names as former Washington players like Nate Orchard, Josh Harvey-Clemons, Timon Parris, Josh Johnson, and Morgan Moses. Most of these guys were not starters, let alone someone to make a final 53, though guys like McCain and Moses were exceptions. So maybe one good LB makes it out. Or maybe not.

Let it play out, Jericho.  Not saying there will be a line of LBs and let me clarify.  I think there will be a LB from 2 or 3 teams that will be cut.  Teams I meant 2 or 3.  I should have been more specific.  :)  

10 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

There are suggestions that ATL are looking to trade him. They have loaded up at LB in the offseason/draft. Cutting Jones doesn’t really save them anything, they need a trade partner to take on the 2022 guaranteed salary.

Got to think his trade value is low IF they really want to move him. 

No one will take on his salary, I don't think so they will wait for him to be cut like Bradburry from the Giants.  

6 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

Did we release Humphries?

he made some clutch-ass 3rd down catches last season that won us games.

Didn't re-sign. He was on a one year deal. No snaps for him now with Dotson drafted and a hopeful second year improvement from Dax Milne as your backup slot WR.

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

No one will take on his salary, I don't think so they will wait for him to be cut like Bradburry from the Giants.  

Too much additional dead cap to cut him IMO. His salary is guaranteed, Bradberrys wasn’t.

We are a team that goes in circles, that is the reason why we have the same roster holes remaining year after year.

We have been asking about the LB and safety positions for years but they can’t fill it because they have been trying to plug the QB and WR holes on the ship but that keep failing.

They try but it hasn’t been successful.

8 hours ago, sebestian said:

People forget that New England sucked before Brady got there

In the 6 years previous to Brady, New England had just one losing season and another that was 8-8. This period included 4 post-season trips and one that culminated in the SB (albeit a loss). If that is suck, I'd take being a suck team.

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Too much additional dead cap to cut him IMO. His salary is guaranteed, Bradberrys wasn’t.

Then they will bite the bullet and play him or pay for 65-70% of his salary the next two years.  If GMs and those making the calls are smart that's what they do.  

Edited by RWJ

53 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

In the 6 years previous to Brady, New England had just one losing season and another that was 8-8. This period included 4 post-season trips and one that culminated in the SB (albeit a loss). If that is suck, I'd take being a suck team.

It was even kind of surprising that they went with Brady over Bloodsoe, who was excellent.

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It was even kind of surprising that they went with Brady over Bloodsoe, who was excellent.

Didn't Brady take over because Bledsoe got hurt - sort of a Wally Pip story?

:229:The Rook

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, sebestian said:

People forget that New England sucked before Brady got there

By "sucked", do you mean that with Bledsoe for the 7 years before Brady, they went 59-53, had 4 winning seasons, made the playoffs 4 times and got to the Super Bowl? 

If that counts as "sucked", what word would you use for the Skins during that time?  (42-55-1, 1 winning season, 1 playoff appearance)

1 hour ago, Darth Tater said:

You *&%$#!, you beat me to it!

Public Service Announcement:  pro-football-reference.com  Bookmark it.  It's an amazing site (and sight).

Edited by Dark Acre

2 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Yeah, Parcells was there for a while and then Belichick was there with Bledsoe for a year or two before 2001, where Bledsoe got hurt and Brady came in and the rest is history.  

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but apparently we put in a claim for Wes Martin who just got cut by the Giants. We didn’t get him because the Jags did too and got him. I find this interesting. Not that he was gonna start but I think Schweitzer would have been cut. We have Turner probably starting and Paul as a backup, why would we need Martin. I think Schweitzer is a candidate to be cut and he has a decent size contract for a backup (I think $4 mil a year). 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/05/commanders-chargers-put-in-claims-for-g-wes-martin

Edited by skinsfan93

3 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

How about before that.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but apparently we put in a claim for Wes Martin who just got cut by the Giants. We didn’t get him because the Jags did too and got him. I find this interesting. Not that he was gonna start but I think Schweitzer would have been cut. We have Turner probably starting and Paul as a backup, why would we need Martin. I think Schweitzer is a candidate to be cut and he has a decent size contract for a backup (I think $4 mil a year). 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/05/commanders-chargers-put-in-claims-for-g-wes-martin

My guess is Schweitzer  would have been safe.  WS best out Martin last year.  

My guess is it was a “did you learn anything?” Thing.  

• Like 2

Just now, sebestian said:

How about before that.

They sucked like a vacuum cleaner.  Don't fool yourself because they made the Superbowl in 85.  That is the equivalent of the WFT winning the division 2 years ago.  The less suck of suck.

1 hour ago, Dark Acre said:

By "sucked", do you mean that with Bledsoe for the 7 years before Brady, they went 59-53, had 4 winning seasons, made the playoffs 4 times and got to the Super Bowl? 

If that counts as "sucked", what word would you use for the Skins during that time?  (42-55-1, 1 winning season, 1 playoff appearance)

You *&%$#!, you beat me to it!

Public Service Announcement:  pro-football-reference.com  Bookmark it.  It's an amazing site (and sight).

You guys are right, they were great.  I am just curious, did you imply for me to bookmark that site/sight?  Just curious

1 minute ago, sebestian said:

They sucked like a vacuum cleaner.  Don't fool yourself because they made the Superbowl in 85.  That is the equivalent of the WFT winning the division 2 years ago.  The less suck of suck.

You guys are right, they were great.  I am just curious, did you imply for me to bookmark that site/sight?  Just curious

ALL WAIT