Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

Some really bad moves to pay for a qb that is going to fail here

If you don’t leave any room for a big move they make at QB actually working, then who cares what moves they make, “bad” or not? Who gives a **** then. This regime deserved a chance to invest resources in someone and designate them as “their guy”. Now they have. Cutting one OG so they can sign another that they like is not going to be the thing that breaks down this attempt to build a team. Neither is cutting a backup DL that they will also replace. I get not liking what they’re doing but picking one opinion to be absolutely sure about (Wentz acquisition was a disaster) and then building your entire offseason perception around that in regards to every other roster move gives you a pretty narrow ability to evaluate the big picture imo. I’m willing to see who they sign and draft before declaring the guys they cut as “bad moves”, it’s pretty early in the offseason 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I'm a bit confused and I need clarification from someone more knowledgeable than myself (which narrows it down to about 99% of the forum).

Since we now have tenders on two kickers (Sly and Brian Johnson) does that mean both of their salaries are fully guaranteed if they sign them? 

Not sure how this works.

Just means if they sign with another team we get a draft pick as compensation from that team. Otherwise they will be under contract with us until next offseason or they get cut.

The tender can also be removed by the team at any time making the player an unrestricted free agent.

Edited by panahoo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

Yep that’s how I feel only here for the money.

Hate to break it to you but that’s every single player. They build relationships and some of them value competitiveness but in the end it’s a job. 

5 minutes ago, Conn said:

Hate to break it to you but that’s every single player. They build relationships and some of them value competitiveness but in the end it’s a job. 

The thing is he was offered almost the exact same to stay here and left for a tiny bit more to a team that is worse then here…

n

11 minutes ago, Conn said:

If you don’t leave any room for a big move they make at QB actually working, then who cares what moves they make, “bad” or not? Who gives a **** then. This regime deserved a chance to invest resources in someone and designate them as “their guy”. Now they have. Cutting one OG so they can sign another that they like is not going to be the thing that breaks down this attempt to build a team. Neither is cutting a backup DL that they will also replace. I get not liking what they’re doing but picking one opinion to be absolutely sure about (Wentz acquisition was a disaster) and then building your entire offseason perception around that in regards to every other roster move gives you a pretty narrow ability to evaluate the big picture imo. I’m willing to see who they sign and draft before declaring the guys they cut as “bad moves”, it’s pretty early in the offseason 

They would not have had to cut all these folks if they had not traded for a blah qb.

• Thumb down 1

4 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

The thing is he was offered almost the exact same to stay here and left for a tiny bit more to a team that is worse then here…

Probably a lot more when you adjust for tax.

We also cut a guard who was left on a 10mil one year deal.

Seem to me like we’ll be drafting interior OL now for a couple of years whilst we have to pay big money out on the DL.

Just now, lovemaskins said:

Whoa,  that article reported we cut Matt Ionnidis and Erick Flowers. That's an interesting decision considering letting Tim Settle go and not spending big for Scherrf with limited draft capital. 

Ionnidis was not impactful in our 4-3 scheme, so an easy decision it seems.

1 minute ago, lovemaskins said:

Whoa,  that article reported we cut Matt Ionnidis and Erick Flowers. That's an interesting decision considering letting Tim Settle go and not spending big for Scherrf with limited draft capital. 

Super questionable moves here

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rex Tomb said:

Ionnidis was not impactful in our 4-3 scheme, so an easy decision it seems.

But a solid interior rush backup to give Payne and Allen a rest. Not sure why we'd cut him. Maybe they like the guys behind him more. But with multiple needs on defense not sure why we'd cut that great depth.

3 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

For the second year in a row, we are missing out on some key additions and just seem to be observers

Must admit it is going to be frustrating if we’ve created this cap space simply to accommodate our own batch of re-signs. 

I seem to recall the WJ3 move came out of nowhere, so hoping we get a surprise pick up soon.

26 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

So no offensive line but a qb with a shaky past … 

we've got four starters right now, at least two adequate backups, if not a fifth starter and plenty of time to get more

1 minute ago, MrJL said:

we've got four starters right now, at least two adequate backups, if not a fifth starter and plenty of time to get more

I think we may be overplaying our hand with the oline here. It was a strength last year but not sure you can remove the interior and expect it to remain a strength.  Plus Roullier is coming off an ACL. He may never be the same.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Redwards said:

Ron is going to have to play his starters A LOT more this preseason.  Especially his O line.  

JP Finley made a great point: Ron spent all this time and constructed his sales pitch around the fact that we have the 6th ranked Oline.  Now 2/5ths of them are gone.  I don't care who you bring in (and they better be damn good), they're going to need time to develop chemistry.  

Schweitzer played a third of our snaps last eyar

• Like 1