Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

17 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

We didn't trade for Carson Wentz who has one of the best deep balls in the league to run the offense through dump-offs to JD McKissic. We need a bellcow back to keep AG fresh and establish the run while Wentz pushes the ball deep.

As I said, trading for Carson Wentz who has one of the deep balls in the league is perfect to set up screen passes to JD McKissic. He's exactly the kind of YAC guy and QB security blanket we needed to complement AG and help Wentz threaten defenses at all three levels of the field.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, wilco_holland said:

JD I'm not fan. RBs are so easy to find..why spend cap on it.

Aren't people always complaining that we don't bring our own guys back?  McKissic was the real deal for us last year.  When he went down with that concussion, the entire offense sputtered to the finish.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Ionnaidis agent is pissed but bottom line is things changed from the combine clearly

https://apnews.com/article/washington-commanders-nfl-sports-brandon-scherff-jonathan-allen-a3bfc9a9a65e81750b5838413930bc6c

Herman told The AP that Washington senior VP of football administration Rob Rogers lied to him and fellow agent Jared Fox during a meeting at the scouting combine earlier this month by saying the team had no plans to release Ioannidis.

“We don’t particularly care to be lied to our face,” Herman said. “They took him out of the free agent market now for two days. That puts us now at a disadvantage because other teams have paid other defensive linemen contracts, and (Ioannidis) hasn’t been able to take advantage of that. That’s not the way you conduct business in the National Football League.”

A Commanders spokesman said the team had no comment.

The conversation at the combine occurred before the Commanders acquired Wentz and his hefty cap hit from the Indianapolis Colts. Wentz counts $28.3 million against the cap this season, and adding him gave Washington limited space to use in free agency.

They gave themselves plenty of room by cutting ties with Flowers and Ioannidis and will have even more when they formally release Landon Collins after June 1. The veteran safety was midway through an $84 million, six-year contract.

Ioannidis had one year left on his deal. A 2016 fifth-round pick out of Temple, he played in 73 games and started 40 for Washington, making 175 tackles and 24½ sacks.

2 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Yep. We lost a 7th rd pick

nah, that was projected but a TON of high quality FAs haven’t signed yet and many of those would have eventually pushed him off the board in all likelihood. There’s a limited total number of comp picks and the bigger contracts push everything down. Who knows if we’d have ended up actually getting a 7th from him 

• Like 2

How many ppl does this describe:

Yesterday: we don't need a pass catching RB bc Wentz has a strong arm and throws the ball down field

Today: so happy JD is back!  He will be a critical part of our offense this year and provide Wentz the security blanket he needs!!

I'm happy JD is back!  Great value.

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Conn said:

I’m sure they did make it clear. They’re surprised they never got the chance because anyone would rather compete for SB’s catching balls from Josh Allen than come back here. Can’t hate that, matching would not have been enough. 

As it turns out, our FO didn't make it clear, and that's disturbing.  Especially for a team with multiple GMs!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Aren't people always complaining that we don't bring our own guys back?  McKissic was the real deal for us last year.  When he went down with that concussion, the entire offense sputtered to the finish.

I don't care about other fans reactions 😜.

I see the value in him as a player but just in general don't like paying RBs anything other then rookie deal. 

Re McKissick - great locker room guy, only back good in pass pro and he’s a better pass catcher than some are giving him credit for* (those w/ the dime-a-dozen mindset).  With Wentz on board, the wheel route just became a thing again in Washington.

I’ll add that although Gibson is talented as a pass catcher - particularly with the ball in his hands - McKissick comes across as a lot more savvy - in his route running, football IQ, etc. (IMO).

* for example, how many backs make that td play in Atlanta?

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

As I said, trading for Carson Wentz who has one of the deep balls in the league is perfect to set up screen passes to JD McKissic. He's exactly the kind of YAC guy and QB security blanket we needed to complement AG and help Wentz threaten defenses at all three levels of the field.

Haha, I just posted something regarding fans changing their tune, but saw this post after.  I know you're not the only one!!

6 minutes ago, Conn said:

nah, that was projected but a TON of high quality FAs haven’t signed yet and many of those would have eventually pushed him off the board in all likelihood. There’s a limited total number of comp picks and the bigger contracts push everything down. Who knows if we’d have ended up actually getting a 7th from him 

You're correct.  It was a projected 7th rd pick