Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP John Madden

ixcuincle

Madden has done more for the NFL than anyone else, by far. 

For those who have yet to see his documentary, watch it, it is enlightening. 

* My favorite all-time Madden saying was during the Redskins / Bears playoffs in 87', when he and Summerall were talking about how cold it was during the game.

He said  " when its that cold your sweat freezes, your spit freezes, hec ANYTHING hanging on ya will freeze".  I spit beer laughing so much...

RIP Mr. Madden 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Things I remember from Madden:  

I remember them showing isolation of some coach on the sidelines, pitching a temper tantrum about a call he didn't like.  And Madden saying "That's one of the things I like about the NFL.  The coach can say anything.  Throw anything.  Shout anything.  Do anything he wants.  

"As long as he stays on his side of that white line."  

And I remember a scene from a Redskins-Niniers game.  They showed an isolation of a Ninier and  Redskin, lined up wide near the sideline.  

"Now, this here is Jerry Rice.  Everybody here has heard of.  Probably the most famous person in the NFL.  Legend.  

"But this person opposite him?  That's a guy named Darrell Green.  Most of you haven't heard of him.   

"Now, he actually plays a rile that unique on the NFL.  

"He's listed on the roster as a cornerback.  But that's not really what he plays.  

"When the Redskins play most teams, he plays a traditional cornerback.  

"But when they play a team where the opposing team has one receiver that's clearly a mugh bigger threat than the other one, then Darrel Green simply plays that person.  Tonight, Darrell green is going to play Jarry Rice.  And they will have a play called for the other 10 people.  

"When the Niners break the huddle, Darrel Green is going to go to whatever position Jerry Rice lines up in.  Whichever side of the field Jerry Rice goes to, Darrel Green will go.  If Jerry Rice goes into motion, Darrell Green will follow him.  If Jerry Rice gets winded, and needs to sit out a few plays, so will Darrell Green.  

"Darrell Green is going to follow Jerry Rice around the field, for this entire game.  And his job is to play Jerry Rice, man to man.  The whole game.  

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Fun Madden quote, courtesy of FP Santangelo:

I think it was a quote from Madden. 

It takes a very special man to be a Head Coach in the NFL. 
You have to me smart enough to understand the game. 
And dumb enough to think it's important. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

NFL commentators are such a wide variety of characters. Some are the uber-professional ones, giving the driest, clearest commentary of what you see on the field. Others are extremely emotional ones, the type that scream like the fans would, making games feel like a 5 ring circus. They all have their different degrees of expertise. They can be wrapped so deeply in the game that you know they're smart, but don't understand half of what they're saying. Or they have no idea what they're doing, but you can feel that they love doing it.

All them have their place in games, but it's only a handful in a generation that can take all those qualities and wrap them up in one commentator who lives and breathes the sport, can tell you exactly what's happening, but still have fun with the game and help a fan enjoy it too. John Madden was one of those people. I wish I could have seen more of him in his prime when he worked his magic, but I feel fortunate to have seen even some of it.

I have high hopes in Tony Romo. He has that personality, someone who loves the sport, knows it by heart, but still can kick back and make us laugh. But no matter who he becomes, or who else appears, there will never be another John Madden. I don't think the NFL would be quite what it is without John Madden there to make fans feel at home while the league changed so much over the years.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

So many of my memories of Washington in its heyday are tied in with Pat Summerall and John Madden calling the games. Watching any game was more fun with them calling it but even more so when it was Washington. Great quotes from him during those days 2. Going to paraphrase a couple but they're close to what they were. 

About Gary Clark.  Gary catches the ball and digs out some tough yards. Summerall says that Clark would be a good start with the All Madden Team. John responded with "Yeah that's what you do with the Madden Team. You start with ol' number 84 and go from there."  

It was either Bostic or Grimm. Think it was Grimm.  Offense on the field and there's a little blood mixed in with the mud on Grimm's arm. Madden says something like "That Grimm. He could play in the 20's,40's,30's whenever. He just rubs some dirt on it and goes back to playing." Something like that. RIP John.  Thanks for all the fun.  :) 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Reading PCS's post reminded me of something. 

Years ago, there was a commercial with Peyton Manning saying, "Just rub some dirt on it!" & I knew exactly where that came from. :ols:

He was still a coach when I got into football, and his commitment to the color commentary made every game he called special.

RIP.  

• Thumb up 1