Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Dallas and their Benches vs. WFT

KDawg

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Again, I disagree. He was worn down by the end of the year and injured.

Yes he missed a couple games but 3 of his last 5 games last year were some of the best he had on the season. You are overstating the injury thing - this is the running back position, guys tend to get hurt and miss time. Just this year, in the division, the lead back of the other teams have all missed time due to injuries or have "worn down" (Zeke, Sanders and Saquon). 

6 minutes ago, method man said:

Yes he missed a couple games but 3 of his last 5 games last year were some of the best he had on the season. You are overstating the injury thing - this is the running back position, guys tend to get hurt and miss time. Just this year, in the division, the lead back of the other teams have all missed time due to injuries or have "worn down" (Zeke, Sanders and Saquon). 

We're on totally different pages. That's okay. But I don't believe I'm overstating anything.

Defense played a good game yesterday. They held the number 1 (Bucs) and number 2 (Dallas) offenses to 19 and 14 points respectively (got to exclude the pick-6 and the FG after the Gibson fumble). It's a shame our offense folded completely.

Sucks that we lost our #1, #2 and #3 Center. Let's hope Schweitzer and Cosmi come back from IR soon or otherwise it's going to be tough to compete for a playoff spot, especially if Terry misses time now. But that D has found it's groove the last couple of weeks. Insert Sweat, St.-Juste and the rest of the DEs and that O just needs to take care of the football.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Defense played a good game yesterday. They held the number 1 (Bucs) and number 2 (Dallas) offenses to 19 and 14 points respectively (got to exclude the pick-6 and the FG after the Gibson fumble). It's a shame our offense folded completely.

Sucks that we lost our #1, #2 and #3 Center. Let's hope Schweitzer and Cosmi come back from IR soon or otherwise it's going to be tough to compete for a playoff spot, especially if Terry misses time now. But that D has found it's groove the last couple of weeks. Insert Sweat, St.-Juste and the rest of the DEs and that O just needs to take care of the football.

Fuller has to be rated as a top 5 corner since the bye. He did this sort of thing too for a bit last year when he came back from injury. If he can pull together a full season playing like this, he may get his due one day. He does have the Fuller name

• Like 1

1 hour ago, method man said:

At this point, if he is ok playing buffalo nickel in 2022, I keep Landon. If you do, the only starting position you’d need to upgrade is FS. I’m interested to see what this D can do in 2022 with 10/11 starters back

I agree we should bring back Collins next year, but not on his 16.2m cap figure. We save 6.5m if we release him, ask him to sign new deal in the 2 year 20m range. 

1 hour ago, UK Skins said:

I'd forgotten this in all the drama. How the hell do we get another kick blocked?! Are we looking at Cheeseman as at fault now because it's presumably not Way or the different kickers.

I thought I heard Sheehan say this morning that Ron blamed the block on Settle not being available for his blocking assignment. Or something like that, I might be misquoting him, but it was said to be Settle related.  They did mention the operation on that PAT was rushed and out of sync for some reason.

• Thanks 1

Tough loss a few things mitigate how badly I feel about it afterwards.

I don’t like blaming injuries or making excuses based on them but playing with deep backups on the oline and missing Thomas and mckissic ain’t doing us any favors in division games. 

The D played a decent game and the cole Holcomb pic 6 put us in position to attempt a comeback.

Even if it was in what looked like garbage time against prevent defense. The drive by Allen was nice and that running back they put in ran with heart so I’m glad we have him on the team.

The two most crucial turnovers were so close to not happening that a second difference could have changed the outcome of the game.

Taylor had a decent grip on the ball before the fumble that was returned for the td and nearly made it to the ground. Parsons helmet hit it at the right time to make it come loose at the last second. 

Allen was in between just getting sacked normally or getting the ball off. If that’s called a incomplete pass on the field idk if they would have reversed the call. 

that carter drop was heart breaking.

As far as Dallas loses go there’s been worse. On to the eagles.

• Like 1

Can we talk about Turner's scheme and playcalling?  I really, really don't get what he's doing on many occasions, but yesterday, i thought it stood out in a bad way.  We knew or should have known exactly what Dallas was going to do defensively, and Turner seemed completely unprepared.  With an aggressive defense, we should have come out and changed the tempo, minimized their substitutions, made them play on their heels.  We did just the opposite.  Really nothing about the gameplan made sense yesterday, and I can't get past that fact.  On the 4th down play, we have two receivers in the same part of the field who literally almost ran into one another.  That's our best 4th down call??  Turner never rolled Taylor H out of the pocket; we haven't seen one real bootleg play action.  Cam Sims makes plays and then goes MIA.  We use offensive personnel incorrectly.  Gibson has a major fumbling problem, which hasn't been corrected, and the coaches put him out there over and over again.  All of these things really make me doubt Turner's effectiveness as on offensive coordinator.  I just don't see it with him, and yesterday was Exhibit A. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Wish we had taken Najee Harris with our first pick. 😔

His YPC is less than Gibson's.

Anyways regarding the game, I thought the D played well. Well enough to win the game in today's NFL. But the offense did absolutely nothing until the Cowboys let their foot off the gas.

Games like yesterday show why Heinicke will never be a high end starter in this league. He's fine as a backup, even low end starter, maybe mid tier at absolute best. But when things are going poorly he can't elevate your team. We needed at the very least good QB play yesterday and he was at his absolute worst.

Gibson is a talent but needs to be utilized better. Unfortunately with the injury to McKissic we're kinda stuck here. Need to invest in a legitimate bellcow RB this offseason.

We have no legitimate WR talent outside of McLaurin. Samuel is an expensive gadget player.

The OL injuries finally started to have an impact yesterday, especially since the Cowboys DL is back to full strength now.

Its frustrating watching Parsons dominate, not because we passed on him or anything like that, but because we were supposed to have gotten the dynamic game changing defensive player. Instead the guy we got had 1.5 sacks before getting hurt and has had his sack total already eclipsed by numerous backups.

Cam Sims needs to play more, he’s really our only 50/50 guy and he’s by far the tallest and seems to have sure hands. I for the life of me can’t remember Collins 2 sacks, it might have been like the only 2 plays I missed. Anyone have a Twitter link on the sacks or something? 

7 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Agree skins4eva, I swear one of the commentators said that our play-calling was completely predictable. Something that has been commented on here numerous times. I'm afraid I was drinking but was it the always running on first down thing? I can't remember.

Playcalling is a popular thing to criticize but a coach can only call plays based on the personnel he has and the matchups that are being provided to him. The Cowboys brought a lot of pressure and played tight press man. Our receivers couldn't win matchups and get open consistently. We tried a screen and it got picked. We tried running it and averaged like 1 YPC on 1st downs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

It was worse in person.

Trust me on this.

We left in the 3rd quarter

How bad were the cowboys fans? I met some cool Cowboys fans in 2012 before the night game when we won the NFC East, we even tailgated with a few. The Eagles fans are the ones that actually bothered me 

13 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

I get that Warhead but when everyone on here knows what we are going to call and the idiots commentating do too why are our coaches surprised when the opposition with all their stats and scouting do too.

You gotta run the plays you know your guys can run.

6 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Genuine question, where would that leave McKissic?  He seems to be in that role now.

If we got a real power back I think McKissic and Gibson are redundant. Of course McKissic might actually be the better player right now so it'd make for a tough decision. But its not like any of them are getting big money so we can probably keep them all. We don't have enough good players to get rid of the few we do have.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

In competition with Gibson or in the 5-10ish role (whoever has the hotter hand gets more work)

Ah, so kinda how it's been towards the second half of games, just with a workhorse in front of them?

Like we'd have RB1 as someone else and then RB2A/RB2B depending on who's doing better that day?

And again, always look forward to these threads.  You put a lot of work into them and provide a lot of insight.

• Thumb up 1

Did McCarthy actually use the word "guarantee?"  I heard that he said he was "confident" in a win, which to me is much different than "guarantee."  But this might be another case of the headline not matching the story.

When the Skins scored with 5 minutes left to cut it to 27-14, I told my buddy that Rivera needed to start using timeouts immediately if we didn't recover an onside kick or (as happened) we kicked it deep to the Cowboys. Instead Dallas runs on first down and the clock kept ticking.  Of course McCarthy/Moore reward Ron's own obliviousness with their decision to pass, which leads to the pick 6. I can see the argument that you still can't get too conservative, but at that point, the clock is your friend. I thought Dallas overall did a poor job of clock management in the fourth quarter, and it seems that pretty much all coaches are bad at that aspect.  I would say Belichick is good, but even he didn't use timeouts at the end of the Seahawks SB and got bailed out by Seattle not running Marshawn Lynch. 

9 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Did McCarthy actually use the word "guarantee?"  I heard that he said he was "confident" in a win, which to me is much different than "guarantee."  But this might be another case of the headline not matching the story.

When the Skins scored with 5 minutes left to cut it to 27-14, I told my buddy that Rivera needed to start using timeouts immediately if we didn't recover an onside kick or (as happened) we kicked it deep to the Cowboys. Instead Dallas runs on first down and the clock kept ticking.  Of course McCarthy/Moore reward Ron's own obliviousness with their decision to pass, which leads to the pick 6. I can see the argument that you still can't get too conservative, but at that point, the clock is your friend. I thought Dallas overall did a poor job of clock management in the fourth quarter, and it seems that pretty much all coaches are bad at that aspect.  I would say Belichick is good, but even he didn't use timeouts at the end of the Seahawks SB and got bailed out by Seattle not running Marshawn Lynch. 

McCarthy is legit one of the worst coaches in the league. He rode Rodgers coattails for a decade and is now riding on Dak's.

• Like 2

Antonio Gibson killed us, again…. We had a what looked to be a “normal” comeback after Sims caught that bomb TB. It was the 2nd drive of the 3rd qtr, so plenty of ballgame left.  Then AG puts it on the turf on our 20 yard line.

benching didn’t help before. 
many still noted his hazardous gashing style without protecting the rock thru contact

18A4183B-3BD1-450D-9602-9F6FB2242D8D.jpeg

• Haha 2