Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Gibson be more like Deebo Samuel under the right coordinator?

NoCalMike

Fumbling issues aside.

As a weapon on offense.  Instead of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by converting him into a traditional bruising RB.  I see the way  Kyle Shanahan uses Deebo Samuel who doesn't seem to be a traditional WR or RB, but because of his speed and elusiveness is able to thrive acting as a hybrid of both.  I see Gibson's skillsets and also his struggles at trying to become a straight up RB and I wonder if Scott Turner is blowing an opportunity with him.

I see the way our offense overall has been built, Gibson, Terry, Curtis Samuel, Brown.....a lot of guys with a lot of speed who don't seem to be utilized the way other players with similar skill sets are.  

Is there just a lack of creativity and imagination in Scott Turner's playbook or does he feel other areas of the team are not up to par to feel safe running the kinds of plays you're seeing designed by some of the younger coordinators around the NFL?

• Like 4

That's what Samuel is suppose to do, but he's been hurt.

I don't like Gibson as a sole RB1, but if we had another back who could do similar thing, but as more of a north south runner and the two split the RB1 role and we went with the hot hand, like Denver or the Browns do, it would be better.

He's not like Deebo and he's not like a McKissic or Chris Thompson, but he will probably be later in his career, when he's got more experience with the role.

AG has the tools to be a RB1, but he's not time hardened.

James Washington is the person I would peg as being our Deebo Samuel and not Gibson. 

Not trying to beat a dead horse here as I've mentioned this before in another thread, but that's who I would target and he would come at a bargain price.

I've been right about Tee Higgins, Justin Herbert among others :) and feel pretty strongly about Washington. 

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, SkinssRvA said:

Gibson has heavy feet,mediocre Vision, and average ball skills. Good straight line speed after he gets going and can be physical. He’s a jag. 

I think he's better than a JAG but he's not a cornerstone stud player. He's somewhere between Roy Helu and Chris Thompson.

3 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Gibson is a JAG? The **** outta here. 😆

I’d like to see us be a little more creative with AG. Don’t think Samuel is a really good comparison (he’s more physical to my eye) and also think Shanny Jr. is the best offensive mind in the game. The guy can scheme anybody open. Against anybody. Including Belichick.

Definitely a jag. Feeds off volume. Average ball skills. Poor vision. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dyst said:

I think he is not who we want/think he is. Gibson is not fast, he doesn’t have burst, he is not twitchy and lacks vision. He is missing that plant your foot and go first step. He is what he is.

Correct take. We as fans are so starved for talent we will make anything bigger than it is.  Mckissic is the better player in pretty much every single area except size/durability 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, dyst said:

I think he is not who we want/think he is. Gibson is not fast, he doesn’t have burst, he is not twitchy and lacks vision. He is missing that plant your foot and go first step. He is what he is.

Yup.  He’s actually not that fast.  I was surprised given the rep after the draft.  Doesn’t have game breaking ability, not sure I every remember him taking it to the house or breaking off a 40 yard run.  Maybe once?  Vision on the first cut is ok but I almost never see him make someone miss at the second level. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

Correct take. We as fans are so starved for talent we will make anything bigger than it is.  Mckissic is the better player in pretty much every single area except size/durability 

I do agree that McKissic just looks like a more natural RB. He has more wiggle and better vision.

But Gibson does do some things well. We just don't maximize those things and are trying to use him in a role that focuses more on his weaknesses than strengths.

3 minutes ago, Capsman said:

Yup.  He’s actually not that fast.  I was surprised given the rep after the draft.  Doesn’t have game breaking ability, not sure I every remember him taking it to the house or breaking off a 40 yard run.  Maybe once?  Vision on the first cut is ok but I almost never see him make someone miss at the second level. 

I think the issue is there are so many times where someone barely gets a hand on him and it completely disrupts his speed and he ends up falling and only gaining like 3 or 4 when he should be breaking 20.

I don't think he maximizes runs.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I do agree that McKissic just looks like a more natural RB. He has more wiggle and better vision.

But Gibson does do some things well. We just don't maximize those things and are trying to use him in a role that focuses more on his weaknesses than strengths.

What is it that you believe Gibson excels at? 

1 minute ago, SkinssRvA said:

What is it that you believe Gibson excels at? 

I do like him in space. When he has some space he can plant his foot and cut and rip off some nice runs. He doesn't really get the HUGE ones but he has consistently gotten 10+ yarders, at least during the hot stretch.

The issue is when we keep handing him off up the middle, he ends up running into guys a lot. There is just too much traffic there and he doesn't have the patience or vision to wait for that cutback lane to hit it for more yardage. McKissic is better at this.

I'd also like to see him more on screens and actually out running routes downfield where he can put that WR skillset to use.

My big thing is, get him away from the traffic. That's bellcow back area. He ain't that.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I do like him in space. When he has some space he can plant his foot and cut and rip off some nice runs. He doesn't really get the HUGE ones but he has consistently gotten 10+ yarders, at least during the hot stretch.

The issue is when we keep handing him off up the middle, he ends up running into guys a lot. There is just too much traffic there and he doesn't have the patience or vision to wait for that cutback lane to hit it for more yardage. McKissic is better at this.

I'd also like to see him more on screens and actually out running routes downfield where he can put that WR skillset to use.

My big thing is, get him away from the traffic. That's bellcow back area. He ain't that.

So I appreciate your opinion I just happen to disagree on pretty much most of it. I don’t think he’s good in space at all. I’ve said a lot he has heavy feet and has trouble making people miss. I also don’t think he has a great receiver skill set. He’s 230, not a good route runner, and not really quick twitch.  He NEEDS to be a between the tackle player because that’s what his body and skill set dictates. 

The occasional screen is fine and he has the straight line speed to take it home, but I just don’t see much of anything else from him.  He’s a product of volume in my opinion at this point 

2 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

So I appreciate your opinion I just happen to disagree on pretty much most of it. I don’t think he’s good in space at all. I’ve said a lot he has heavy feet and has trouble making people miss. I also don’t think he has a great receiver skill set. He’s 230, not a good route runner, and not really quick twitch.  He NEEDS to be a between the tackle player because that’s what his body and skill set dictates. 

The occasional screen is fine and he has the straight line speed to take it home, but I just don’t see much of anything else from him.  He’s a product of volume in my opinion at this point 

I think the heavy feet is a product of him playing through injuries. He has regressed in some ways this year but its probably because hes basically played all year hurt. We just have to hope its not a lingering issue moving forward. Truth is with RBs you can't fall in love with any of them, they fall off hard and fall off fast. Look at Zeke, Saquon, Gurley, McCaffery etc.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Gibson is a good back. He needs to work on his fumbling issues. To suggest he’s a JAG is a hot take after his fumble today. 

Being frustrated with Gibson is understandable. Calling him a JAG is a joke. Our fan base really sucks sometimes.

Nope, not a hot take or a joke at all. Provide your football analysis to suggest different, otherwise you have contributed nothing. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

19 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

Nope, not a hot take or a joke at all. Provide your football analysis to suggest different, otherwise you have contributed nothing. 

My football analysis is that he’s still a young back who is showing signs of wearing down over the course of a long season. A long season in which he’s recovering from a foot injury. 

My message board analysis is that there are posters who hate on every player, every coach, every play call, of every game of every season. These posters truly contribute nothing. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

Too many impressive runs and plays made over two seasons to call him a JAG. Generally, when one calls a guy a JAG there’s a pretty clear consensus that being the case, I’d say a large majority would disagree with you. He does have weaknesses, most NFL players do, but his strengths (size, power, hands, and straight line speed) help put him at the level of being a above average to good (aside from his fumbling—eeek). This is not a guy that doesn’t have production and highlight plays to back up the claim of not being a JAG. This isn’t a speculative position, he’s made many unique plays early in his career. 

He’s  been a key catalyst/contributor to playing meaningful games in the month of December. He was one of the main pieces in establishing an identity for his his season. Fantastic value provided on his part to date. 

I don’t disagree with others who say he should be used less and differently at times. 100% want an elite young RB talent this upcoming draft to be added to the roster. 

Edited by wit33

9 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Too many impressive runs and plays made over two seasons to call him a JAG. Generally, when one calls a guy a JAG there’s a pretty clear consensus that being the case, I’d say a large majority would disagree with you. He does have weaknesses, most NFL players do, but his strengths (size, power, hands, and straight line speed) help put him at the level of being a above average to good (aside from his fumbling—eeek). This is not a guy that doesn’t have production and highlight plays to back up the claim of not being a JAG. This isn’t a speculative position, he’s made many unique plays early in his career. 

For me, he’s been a key catalyst to me watching meaningful games in the month of December. He was one of the main pieces in establishing an identity for his his season. He has left his imprints enough on games for me to continue be happy with production provided and to project him as a good player over the final two years of his rookie deal. Fantastic value provided on his part to date. 

I don’t disagree with others who say he should be used less and differently at times. 100% want an elite young talent this upcoming draft to be added to the roster. 

Has anyone who has suggested taking a “bellcow back” actually looked at the RBs in this draft? There is no one receiving a first round grade, meaning the good ones will likely get overdrafted. 

The smart thing to do is to get a proven FA on the cheap. There will be a ton available this offseason and they can go sign a Rashaad Penny, Tevin Coleman, James Connor, Wayne Gallman type to be a 3rd back. Patterson is practice squad material and be should not be on the roster next year