Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Playoff Curse Jinx Thread 🧵 I am Satan

88Comrade2000

Baring either a complete collapse or injury to Taylor; Ron is on the cusp of make history in the Synder era.

While he would join Gibbs 2, as the only Dan coaches to make the playoffs twice; he would be the first coach to go to back to back playoffs.

What a difference from 4 weeks ago.

If he can win a playoff game, that would be great.

Whether we win or not in the playoffs; the expectations rise for 22. We would expect to challenge for the division and go a little further in the playoffs.

Also, Ron would be the first Team coach under Dan, to start his tenure with playoff appearances.

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Norv was not chosen by Dan, but did start Dan's overall tenure with a playoff appearance.

One thing to look at it with regard to next year is the schedule.  The NFC East will play all of the AFC South and the NFC North, as well as games against opponents in the AFC North and the other two NFC division based on where we finish in the division. Based on right now, the Titans and Colts should be the only two decent teams in the AFCS. With Rodgers probably leaving the Packers, the whole NFCN might be garbage. The other three games will be a mixed bag, as the AFCN and NFCW opponents will be challenging, and who knows with the NFCS (Carolina and Atlanta won't scare anyone, and will Brady even still be in Tampa next year?).

Of course, when the sked comes out, ES tradition is to make it as the toughest a team has faced in league history,  and how the placement of byes and night games are part of a diabolical plot to screw the WFT 😀

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

So he won’t be fired before the end of 22???

Yeah, you almost get the sense that the "implications" mentioned in the thread title will be that the heightened expectations would lead to Ron still being on the hot seat in '22.

Which is trying to reinvent the Snyder of the 2000s decade.  More recently, we had Jay make a playoff appearance in his second year, and then flounder in mediocrity for three full seasons after that, before an abysmal start in 2019 really left Dan no choice. So no, Ron is safe pretty much no matter what short-term.

If anything, while acknowledging the accomplishments of Rivera so far, it also serves to bring people back to 2001 when Snyder hired another defensive-minded coach.....and it lasted a year. What if, right? Thankfully, Snyder is probably more personally mature, and being chastened by the league right now is likely helping matters.

33 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Norv was not chosen by Dan, but did start Dan's overall tenure with a playoff appearance.

One thing to look at it with regard to next year is the schedule.  The NFC East will play all of the AFC South and the NFC North, as well as games against opponents in the AFC North and the other two NFC division based on where we finish in the division. Based on right now, the Titans and Colts should be the only two decent teams in the AFCS. With Rodgers probably leaving the Packers, the whole NFCN might be garbage. The other three games will be a mixed bag, as the AFCN and NFCW opponents will be challenging, and who knows with the NFCS (Carolina and Atlanta won't scare anyone, and will Brady even still be in Tampa next year?).

Of course, when the sked comes out, ES tradition is to make it as the toughest a team has faced in league history,  and how the placement of byes and night games are part of a diabolical plot to screw the WFT 😀

But you can never really play the schedule game.  Somebody's always better or worse than they're expected to be. 

And even then, it's not who you play, but when you play them.  Buffalo would probably be a winnable game if we played them now.  Tampa probably woulda blown us out if we got them in Sept.  

It's arguably the most important step in the long road to rebuilding our fanbase. 

Think of how many folks have flat out said they arent buying we've turned anything around unless we start having back to back playoff appearances? 

Snyder isn't going anyway, winning is literally the only way this fan base can survive his tenure.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

We would have to completely collapse for us not to make the playoffs now. It’s possible. Taylor gets hurt. If we continue on the trend of the last 4 weeks, playoffs seem like the end result.

Ron is off the hot seat for 22 but expectations are higher.

Did I miss something? When was Ron on the hot seat to begin with?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

We would have to completely collapse for us not to make the playoffs now. It’s possible. Taylor gets hurt. If we continue on the trend of the last 4 weeks, playoffs seem like the end result.

Ron is off the hot seat for 22 but expectations are higher.

I agree that the team is doing well enough to make the playoffs in the moment, but the trend doesn’t really matter and there’s a lot of things that could go right or wrong with a long gauntlet of 5 division games. Why do people always extrapolate how the team is doing in the moment out to infinity? I see this in the game day threads all the time sharing the opposite sentiment, one 3 and out in the 2nd quarter and it’s all “we suck game over! Season over!”

10 hours ago, zskins said:

Did I miss something? When was Ron on the hot seat to begin with?

Just for the OP of this thread lol. This is kind of like that internet meme of “making up a guy to get mad at” except he’s not mad and it’s himself. So he’s basically just directing this post towards himself—no one else thought Rivera would be on the hot seat after a poor season. And luckily I don’t believe in jinxes. 

Also pretending it’s a foregone conclusion now that we’re going to the playoffs is hilarious. Anything can happen in this stretch to division games. Does it look very possible? Of course. Could it fall apart at any moment? Of course. It’s just as silly as acting like it was a foregone conclusion that Rivera would be on the hot seat. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I didn't know it was a sure thing we were making the playoffs.

I'm guessing that's why he said we were "on the cusp" of making the playoffs instead of "now that we have made" the playoffs...

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Just for the OP of this thread lol.

Where does he say that in the OP?...I missed it.

Edited by Califan007

As others have stated this entire thread has two poor premises: 

1. We are not anywhere close to a PO spot. Yes, if the season ended right now. But they are 5 div games left, at least two against a team that if we are being honest is better than us. There are way too many teams within a game or two of the WC spots. 

2. Ron Rivera is not and was not on the hot seat for 2022. In fact I would say he has through 2023 before there are any concerns about him getting replaced unless he leaves on his own. 

A few years ago, I posted a thread about our defense playing much better about 7 gms in. From that point on the defense was absolutely ****ty. And everyone rightly let me know about it in the thread. It died horrible death quite unmercifully. 

In case it's not clear, while it would be great for Ron to make the POs in back to back seasons but we are very far from that being a reality. Talk to me in a few weeks, like 5. And Ron was never on the hot seat outside some fans who probably never liked him to start with. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Where does he say that in the OP?...I missed it.

He doesn’t, but 70% of his posts since this offseason have been about Rivera being on the hot seat with Snyder if he didn’t make the playoffs this year. Over and over again, it was his main fixation for months.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

He doesn’t, but 70% of his posts since this offseason have been about Rivera being on the hot seat with Snyder if he didn’t make the playoffs this year. Over and over again, it was his main fixation for months.

Actually you said "for the OP" not "in the OP"...my bad lol. I can see the "for the OP" angle now from what you just said.

• Like 2