Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: WFT vs. Seahawks

KDawg

4 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think one guy who deserves love that we haven't mentioned in this thread is Ismael. Imagine our fourth string center coming in and not only not blowing a single snap, but helping to lead a Riggo Drill that chewed up 8 minutes in the fourth quarter.

Ismael helped us not lose, but watch the failed conversions on 3rd/4th and short in the quoted tweet below.

4 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Ismael has some serious lack of anchor after the snap.  We can see why he was on the practice squad.  A NT that gets into his chest early in the play will push him backwards 2-3 yards making everything more difficult for the RB.

Edited by Alcoholic Zebra
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I said this before, the coaches totally screwed up the chemistry the team had last year in the secondary by Moving Fuller inside, and having St. Juice outside, flipping Darby for WJIII, re-inserting Collins at safety, essentially benching Curl.  

They've since gone back to more what was working last year: Fuller outside with WJIII, Curl in the middle making plays.  McCain playing FS, which last year was a revolving door of guys.  

And they are playing better with guys in mostly the similar alignment as last year.

They need to keep this group together and not fuss with it this off-season.

In fairness, they did think they had lightning in the bottle with Juice looking ready to contribute while flashing top end potential.  It makes sense if that happens, but he's not ready to take over from Fuller.  Fuller knows a lot more about everything that's going on, and reacts to plays in his area well.  Juice doesn't have that yet.

But it's not like Juice bombed, it's not like he showed he can't hang.  So he's still a quality developmental piece for the future, which is awesome.

P.S.  I still can't believe the Bengals signed Mike Hilton for a song and a dance.  He's one of the best Slot corners in the league.  How nice would our D have been all year if we had grabbed him?  Fuller would've been outside from Day 1 too.

It's crazy how much better the defensive front is with the backup DEs playing disciplined rather than Chase and Montez rushing themselves out of the plays.

I think this solidifies that we ought to trade Sweat and make sure to re-sign Payne and Ioannidis. Build the front from the interior out. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Was Slye getting injured the reason we won this game?

I did see one advantage in it.

With confidence and no hesitation, Ron could constantly go for the 4th down conversions, and be himself ;)

Knowing that the 4th down attempt is basically your only option allows you to zoom in and focus, and do so with less anxiety over whether it's the right call

Loved the game last night. Effort and execution were both fantastic. There’s always gonna be some plays left on the field, especially for a middle of the pack team. 

As much as I liked what I saw from Toney and JSW, I think this “selfish” narrative with regards to Young and Sweat has gotten out of hand. 

To my stoned eye, I thought Sweat was our best defensive player last season. Chase was DROY. Both in this scheme. 

Do they maybe try to do too much at times? Sure. Selfish? That sounds like a character attack to me. I personally don’t care for it. They’ve struggled this season for sure, but my money is on both guys figuring it out. Just a little early to be eating our own. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Loved the game last night. Effort and execution were both fantastic. There’s always gonna be some plays left on the field, especially for a middle of the pack team. 

As much as I liked what I saw from Toney and JSW, I think this “selfish” narrative with regards to Young and Sweat has gotten out of hand. 

To my stoned eye, I thought Sweat was our best defensive player last season. Chase was DROY. Both in this scheme. 

Do they maybe try to do too much at times? Sure. Selfish? That sounds like a character attack to me. I personally don’t care for it. They’ve struggled this season for sure, but my money is on both guys figuring it out. Just a little early to be eating our own. 

I don't think they're selfish guys by nature but they played selfishly at times this year. But they also were just not very effective pass rushers.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think they're selfish guys by nature but they played selfishly at times this year. But they also were just not very effective pass rushers.

I don't think they're selfish. I think they let the hype get to their heads and made them think they were supermen. Chase Young, in particular, always seems really dialed in and about the team. So, I don't see him being selfish and just trying to grab stats. I think he just got lost in the bright lights. Too much Hollywood and not enough humble pie.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Is it possible...

the reason that Everett jumped into our stands was...

a desperate attempt to escape from the prison of being a Seahawk, and him saying, "Please take me, Washington. I sooo want to play for a Playoff Contender !!!"

That game and that play was like his "work release program" that he was using to escape from the Washington STATE prison, run by Seahawks.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I did see one advantage in it.

With confidence and no hesitation, Ron could constantly go for the 4th down conversions, and be himself ;)

Knowing that the 4th down attempt is basically your only option allows you to zoom in and focus, and do so with less anxiety over whether it's the right call

Do we go for two early in the second half without the injury?

I’m so pumped for this team. I love Heinicke. That dude has the It factor. I’m taking my son to the game in Vegas Sunday for his first NFL game and my excitement for the game is so different than it was a month ago. These runs are probably as good as it gets under Snyder and I’m loving every minute of it. 

19 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think they're selfish. I think they let the hype get to their heads and made them think they were supermen. Chase Young, in particular, always seems really dialed in and about the team. So, I don't see him being selfish and just trying to grab stats. I think he just got lost in the bright lights. Too much Hollywood and not enough humble pie.

That’s a good plot for one of your books, but I think it’s an unfair label that you’re putting on them. 

Have you read all the articles about Chase  and Montez not practicing hard? Or being a problem in the locker room? No? Me either.

We were also in the process of moving some pieces around in their absence that have helped. I think this is overlooked as well.

It’s certainly short sighted to attribute our defensive improvement simply to their absence. Even more short sighted to call them selfish, in my opinion. 

22 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

That’s a good plot for one of your books, but I think it’s an unfair label that you’re putting on them. 

Have you read all the articles about Chase  and Montez not practicing hard? Or being a problem in the locker room? No? Me either.

We were also in the process of moving some pieces around in their absence that have helped. I think this is overlooked as well.

It’s certainly short sighted to attribute our defensive improvement simply to their absence. Even more short sighted to call them selfish, in my opinion. 

I don't disagree and I missed a modifier in my original post, however, I think there were allusions to too much freelancing and not enough team play throughout by Rivera. As for not practicing hard, I think they did, but I'm still of the mind that missing those preseason practices set the table for Chase's struggles. He decided his side hustle was more important than his job. I'm sure he practiced and worked out on his own, but some of the book work, the technique work, and team building is hard to do by yourself. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

I’m so pumped for this team. I love Heinicke. That dude has the It factor. I’m taking my son to the game in Vegas Sunday for his first NFL game and my excitement for the game is so different than it was a month ago. These runs are probably as good as it gets under Snyder and I’m loving every minute of it. 

Hopefully you will have a great time regardless of the result. I don't think we can beat Vegas but I am hoping somehow we pull it off. 

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I think they're selfish. I think they let the hype get to their heads and made them think they were supermen. Chase Young, in particular, always seems really dialed in and about the team. So, I don't see him being selfish and just trying to grab stats. I think he just got lost in the bright lights. Too much Hollywood and not enough humble pie.

When he was first having problems this year, I thought Chase was trying too hard.

Trying to be a one man gang, overly dedicated to helping the team, resulting in a lack of discipline.

Then I read that "money" interview, and I realized the wealth had distracted him, and the hype had gone to his head. Going after off field opportunities and building his brand seemed to be his focus and building on his DROY performance on the field seemed to be on the bottom of his list of priorities.

Hopefully, while rehabbing his injury and all the offers he got last offseason dry up because he wasn't good this year, Chase will realize, even at his young age, that all glory is fleeting. That today's burgeoning star can very quickly become yesterday's could've been.

The team is winning right now without him, too. That should be the starkest point for him.

Edited by SkinsGuy

8 minutes ago, zskins said:

Hopefully you will have a great time regardless of the result. I don't think we can beat Vegas but I am hoping somehow we pull it off. 

Thanks! It’s hard to not have fun Vegas! That stadium is awesome. I saw the eagles lose there. I think we will win. I’m totally drinking the kool-aid. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Thanks! It’s hard to not have fun Vegas! That stadium is awesome. I saw the eagles lose there. I think we will win. I’m totally drinking the kool-aid. 

I used to live in AZ and went to Vegas a lot. Lots of good time and memories. :D

One day if the stars align maybe I can go to a game there too. it would be an excuse to see Vegas again.  :)

• Like 1