Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariota and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

4 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

L-M-A-O at the sudden surge of optimism signing Jacoby Brissett.  Coming from the same people who thought Heinicke was a loser who was not clutch.  And no, I didn't care if Heinicke was back and was on board with Minshew or Dalton.  Ya'll better hope Howell is the answer.  Or if you hate Rivera and want him gone, maybe not.  

I watched a few Browns games and a few Heinicke games an there is a clear difference between the two.

Brissett is a low level starter. Heini is a low level back up in the XFL.

• Like 4
  • Thumb down 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

I see a few teams are hosting him for their Top 30 interviews. But, No. If he falls a few rounds later, like the 4th. Sure. Not that you need him next year. But with his ACL tear, he's a guy I'd want to IR his entire rookie year to give that over a full year to recover and then some before OTAs '25.

Yeah I agree. Maybe a few rounds later. He looked pretty good on YT highlights. Last time we drafted a QB from Tennessee wearing no.5 he didn't turn out so good (Shuler) Found this tweet on him.

Edited by BleedBNG

15 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Brissett is on his 5th team and has still not received his "legit starter" badge.

I think he means "legit starter" as just unquestioned top 32.

Brissett is that easy. You hand out 32 starting jobs and JB is starting for one of those teams.

Howell is an unknown, but so is anybody w/ 1 game under their belt.

I don't think its the best QB room we have had since 2012, but I think its better than last years.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

There's no real downside with Howell. If he's good, it means we're going to win 10+ games and make a run. If he stinks, we'll probably end up picking top 5 in a stacked QB class with a new regime taking over.

The same kind of stacked class 2023 was supposed to be?  We're going to win just enough games to miss out on a stacked QB class in 2023.  Doesn't seem so stacked now.  Kinda need to see how things play out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I think he means "legit starter" as just unquestioned top 32.

Brissett is that easy. You hand out 32 starting jobs and JB is starting for one of those teams.

Howell is an unknown, but so is anybody w/ 1 game under their belt.

I don't think its the best QB room we have had since 2012, but I think its better than last years.

Brissett is that easy. You hand out 32 starting jobs and JB is starting for one of those teams.

I disagree. He would be starting for one of the teams now. I do agree that this will be  a better QB room than last year.....I hope.

20 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Cool. Find me in the next offseason and tell me I'm an idiot.

Right now, I'm excited.

Would never tell you that. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Brissett could be a Geno Smith-type late bloomer who flourishes in a good situation on a good team.

That may or may not be here, but he played well last year and clearly has talent.

I’m shooting for a Rich Gannon like second chapter. Make it happen EB!

Side note, shocked if Howell wins the job. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

Interesting read mostly about ARod's situation with the Jets but Breer mentions perhaps the new philosophical way teams without that valuable franchise QB are working thru it.

There’s definitely been pushback on where quarterback spending is going, and one reason why is teams are seeing the return on investments for the six franchises who gave outsized quarterback deals in 2022—the Packers, Browns, Cardinals, Raiders, Broncos and Rams. Three of those teams made the playoffs in 2021. None did in ’22.

So the call’s been, by a few teams, not to pay great money for merely good performance.

It was part of the equation in the Panthers moving up aggressively to get the first pick in the draft, where they’ll get cost control over their quarterback for the next five years. It also played in quarterback plans, as we mentioned it would a couple weeks back, in Atlanta, Washington and Tampa, where teams paired young non-first-round picks (Desmond Ridder, Sam Howell, Kyle Trask) with veterans who bring extensive starting experience (Taylor Heinicke, Jacoby Brissett, Baker Mayfield) to the table.

The idea is that doing that, rather than pursuing a Derek Carr, allows a team to better spend its resources—with tens of millions freed up by not paying a lot for a veteran at the position. That, of course, also puts a team in a position where its options are open if, be it in this year’s draft or next year’s draft or somewhere in between, a chance comes along to become great at the position rather than just good.

Anyway, I’ll be interested to see how it goes for those teams. Because while teams are always going to pay guys like Patrick Mahomes and Joe Burrow, the second level of the quarterback position is far more volatile, and could be affected by how things work out over the next 10 months for the Commanders, Falcons and Bucs.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I watched a few Browns games and a few Heinicke games an there is a clear difference between the two.

Just curious, what’s your view of the roster?

Im guessing they have to be one of the best in the league? (I agree with this by the way but curious your thoughts). 

2 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

Yeah I agree. Maybe a few rounds later. He looked pretty good on YT highlights. Last time we drafted a QB from Tennessee wearing no.5 he didn't turn out so good (Shuler) Found this tweet on him.

I get what he's saying, I didn't know Levis was quite that old for someone not as already good as Burrow was at that age. But Hooker is 1.5 years older, he'll turn 26 around the last game of the 2023 season. How much do we want to bet that neither of them will wind up good in the NFL? I wonder what the breakdowns are for QB success when you're not the best QB in the draft, but are already older?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Interesting read mostly about ARod's situation with the Jets but Breer mentions perhaps the new philosophical way teams without that valuable franchise QB are working thru it.

There’s definitely been pushback on where quarterback spending is going, and one reason why is teams are seeing the return on investments for the six franchises who gave outsized quarterback deals in 2022—the Packers, Browns, Cardinals, Raiders, Broncos and Rams. Three of those teams made the playoffs in 2021. None did in ’22.

So the call’s been, by a few teams, not to pay great money for merely good performance.

It was part of the equation in the Panthers moving up aggressively to get the first pick in the draft, where they’ll get cost control over their quarterback for the next five years. It also played in quarterback plans, as we mentioned it would a couple weeks back, in Atlanta, Washington and Tampa, where teams paired young non-first-round picks (Desmond Ridder, Sam Howell, Kyle Trask) with veterans who bring extensive starting experience (Taylor Heinicke, Jacoby Brissett, Baker Mayfield) to the table.

The idea is that doing that, rather than pursuing a Derek Carr, allows a team to better spend its resources—with tens of millions freed up by not paying a lot for a veteran at the position. That, of course, also puts a team in a position where its options are open if, be it in this year’s draft or next year’s draft or somewhere in between, a chance comes along to become great at the position rather than just good.

Anyway, I’ll be interested to see how it goes for those teams. Because while teams are always going to pay guys like Patrick Mahomes and Joe Burrow, the second level of the quarterback position is far more volatile, and could be affected by how things work out over the next 10 months for the Commanders, Falcons and Bucs.

@wit33 reading this:

O-face GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Haha 7

I am all in on the Brissett Brisket Banquet but let's draft another QB and don't want to stop until we have our QB of the future. We continually act as if we are all set at QB by not drafting many at all.

Funny guy ChatGPT's thoughts on the matter: "Ultimately, whether or not a team should draft a quarterback after signing Jacoby Brissett will depend on a variety of factors unique to that team. It's important for the team's commanders? LOL to carefully evaluate their options and consider all factors before making a decision."

• Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

"Clear difference between the two"...where?

image.png.9cc6cdddc0cf53efe5fafa79443dc22c.png

image.png.92c460fe8cbcc6ce6152eaae2f513a3f.png

If you hate Heinicke, fine.  He's gone.  But propping up Brissett like this is some genius level move by Rivera in the case that Howell fails is delusional nonsense.  

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

If you hate Heinicke, fine.  He's gone.  But propping up Brissett like this is some genius level move by Rivera in the case that Howell fails is delusional nonsense.  

Yay stats definitely tell the entire picture. 

I said "from watching them".

I did not say "Ron is propping him up in case Howell fails"

That's your own conspiracy theory you're pedaling. Don't spray me with that broken sewer pipe of bull****.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I said "from watching them".

image.png.88e14e2955d5ef334bb7479bd0451dfb.png

Advanced states from last year.  Your keen eye for talent on quarterbacks, after spending the entire offseason of 2022 trying to will the ghost of Carson Wentz into existence, remains unmatched.

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

You live to show up here and tell everyone how dumb they are, and how much you aren’t in the bag for Heinicke…yet the overwhelming majority of your posting is always tied to Heinicke.

We get it.  Rivera and everyone that doesn’t think he’s a bumbling idiot are nimrods and you are the beacon of truth sent here to humble the masses and not care about Heinicke but can’t stop talking about him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

image.png.88e14e2955d5ef334bb7479bd0451dfb.png

Advanced states from last year.  Your keen eye for talent on quarterbacks, after spending the entire offseason of 2022 trying to will the ghost of Carson Wentz into existence, remains unmatched.

Even for a Heini-bot, you're pretty dense. 

I'm realistic about Wentz and always have been.

• Haha 1